DeAndre Hopkins or Keenan Allen pleasee

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I really don't know what needs we have. Some might develop as the off season gets under way and we trade or release or don't resign players. But right now there are no huge needs. I'll trust whoever this FO picks. However I'd love to get either Hopkins from Clemson or Allen from Cal to supplement the receiver corps. I'm undecided on which one I want more but with the depth of this year's WR class there should be a decent chance one of them if not both are available at #32 for us.

If both were sitting there, which would you prefer and why?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hopkins every time.

Though I worry that we'll take Allen, a) because he supposedly likes "special" players with one strong attribute and b) because I think he gets a jones out of confusing the draft community.

Just pick a good football player this time, Pete. I'm tired of the Carpenter-Irvin cuteness. It's a damn good thing you're so epic in Rounds 3-5.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'd love either, but i'd probably have to go Hopkins after what i saw against LSU last week

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1j1yt78l said:
Just pick a good football player this time, Pete. I'm tired of the Carpenter-Irvin cuteness. It's a damn good thing you're so epic in Rounds 3-5.

In fairness, Seattle's 1st round draft options really sucked in 2011. Carpenter has a good chance to be a solid long term starter. If it were my pick to make, I would have taken Ingram or Kaepernick. Ingram wouldn't have added much more value than Carpenter has, and Kaepernick would be a likely backup right now.

I liked the Irvin pick. Nothing cute about it. He was the best pass rusher in the draft. Honestly, I think if Pete hadn't been so extremely conservative with blitzes this year Irvin probably ends up with 10+ sacks.

As far as this topic, hell yeah, Hopkins! But you are right Montana, would it surprise anyone if Seattle took a "reach" player in round 1? Hell no.

That said, is Allen really a "reach" player? Most big boards have him going in the mid-1st round (much higher than Hopkins). I don't agree with that ranking, but the point is that if the draft were tomorrow, Allen would be viewed as the better value than Hopkins.

A more accurate 1st round reach would look more like Markus Wheaton, Sharrif Floyd, etc.

OP
OP
The Yugoslavian

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
What about Tavon Austin? I know his small 5'7 172lbs but man that guy is ridiculous. Using him on screens, creative packages out of the backfield, and eventually Leon will need a replacement and Austin is lethal. Is he worth a late 1st pick? A lot of scouting reports I've seen have him projected in that range. I'm not sure though, but I'd love to have any of the three. Austin, Hopkins, or Allen.

jkitsune

Reaction score
kearly":91t0nwly said:
MontanaHawk05":91t0nwly said:

In fairness, Seattle's 1st round draft options really sucked in 2011. Carpenter has a good chance to be a solid long term starter. If it were my pick to make, I would have taken Ingram or Kaepernick. Ingram wouldn't have added much more value than Carpenter has, and Kaepernick would be a likely backup right now.

I liked the Irvin pick. Nothing cute about it. He was the best pass rusher in the draft. Honestly, I think if Pete hadn't been so extremely conservative with blitzes this year Irvin probably ends up with 10+ sacks.

As far as this topic, hell yeah, Hopkins! But you are right Montana, would it surprise anyone if Seattle took a "reach" player in round 1? Hell no.

That said, is Allen really a "reach" player? Most big boards have him going in the mid-1st round (much higher than Hopkins). I don't agree with that ranking, but the point is that if the draft were tomorrow, Allen would be viewed as the better value than Hopkins.

A more accurate 1st round reach would look more like Markus Wheaton, Sharrif Floyd, etc.

Agreed. His first-round picks have been fine given the setup. Irvin had 8 sacks this year and, yes, has been inconsistent but flashed more potential than I saw out of pass-rushers we've drafted in the past (Tapp and Jackson, for instance). He's a good player who could become a huge asset for us. Carpenter has played very well this year when on the field but has struggled with injuries. He could still be a good guard for many years for us. And then obviously both Okung and Thomas have turned out. I trust these guys implicitly in the draft.

That said, I'd love Hopkins or Coleman (if he declares).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":26zwb48m said:
In fairness, Seattle's 1st round draft options really sucked in 2011.

They sucked in 2009, too, and nobody let Ruskell off the hook for it.

They DON'T suck this year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'd have drafted Jimmy Smith... who's had a few injury issues but shown none of the reported pre-draft character concerns. I think he'd be a complete beast in this defense, a perfect fit. I appreciate that they zoned in on the offensive line that year to get the run going and I loved Carpenter at Alabama.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I wanted the team to draft Gabe Carimi instead of Carpenter, but he's been just as injured as Carp has.

jkitsune

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2o62iiht said:
I wanted the team to draft Gabe Carimi instead of Carpenter, but he's been just as injured as Carp has.

Yeah, I was a little bummed about that too. That pick hasn't worked out either, though. It kind of reminds me of the Curry pick, where he busted out but so did so many of the people I would have preferred around him.

So much of injuries is bad luck that I really still think people like Carp and Thurmond will work out. Better to be good but injury prone than bad and healthy.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
I'd take Deandre Hopkins over any other WR in this draft. Love that guy!

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Love Hopkins would be a great pick, but honestly trade up for Star or Sutton if he comes out, that puts us as #1 D for many years to come period. And then we can draft A LB to replace Hill Wheaton OSU, Brandon Kaufman EWU and Ryan Otten TE SJ State And some Tackles to check out as Guards or Tackles if they prove they can play. To me the way to dominate the NFL is simply have the best lineman.

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ou8ixdn said:

Oh dude, don't even go there. Ignoring the fact that you made a strawman fallacy here (I'll run with it anyway), Ruskell's options at #4 in 2009 were vastly superior to what JS had at #25. Crabtree had 1100 yards and 9 TDs this year. Remember too- Cleveland traded down the very next pick with the Jets for Sanchez, so unlike JS in 2011 you can probably assume Seattle had offers for their pick that year (the late 1st that year was pretty loaded btw). Tim Ruskell had tons of great options, and he made a terrible decision despite them.

When Seattle had good options in 2010, they hit it out of the park. I liked the Irvin pick in 2012 and based on what we know now it was not a reach. I think the idea that they flub the first round is a myth.

Plus who knows, maybe Carpenter becomes a great player? O-lineman are known to start slow. Based on how he looked at Alabama, I think he could be a very good player if he can just get in shape and/or stay healthy.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
The Yugoslavian":28b6u923 said:
What about Tavon Austin? I know his small 5'7 172lbs but man that guy is ridiculous. Using him on screens, creative packages out of the backfield, and eventually Leon will need a replacement and Austin is lethal. Is he worth a late 1st pick? A lot of scouting reports I've seen have him projected in that range. I'm not sure though, but I'd love to have any of the three. Austin, Hopkins, or Allen.

I would be up for Austin. He's a little smaller, but I could see him being as valuable to this team as Percy Harvin is to the Vikings.

OP
OP
The Yugoslavian

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Thanks for getting the thread back on topic Sean. He reminds me of a Percy Harvin/DeSean Jackson mix. I don't think he is quite the deep bomb that that Jackson is, and maybe that is just because of the way WVU used him, but his impact if used creatively should be huge on a team. If Bevell is creative enough is a different question. Any way you slice it we are in prime position this year to have the LUXURY of taking an elite play maker without feeling forced to take a less sexy position that is an urgent need. April should be alot of fun! !

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":l49pbd1y said:
MontanaHawk05":l49pbd1y said:

Oh dude, don't even go there. Ignoring the fact that you made a strawman fallacy here (I'll run with it anyway), Ruskell's options at #4 in 2009 were vastly superior to what JS had at #25. Crabtree had 1100 yards and 9 TDs this year. Remember too- Cleveland traded down the very next pick with the Jets for Sanchez, so unlike JS in 2011 you can probably assume Seattle had offers for their pick that year (the late 1st that year was pretty loaded btw). Tim Ruskell had tons of great options, and he made a terrible decision despite them.

When Seattle had good options in 2010, they hit it out of the park. I liked the Irvin pick in 2012 and based on what we know now it was not a reach. I think the idea that they flub the first round is a myth.

Plus who knows, maybe Carpenter becomes a great player? O-lineman are known to start slow. Based on how he looked at Alabama, I think he could be a very good player if he can just get in shape and/or stay healthy.

I don't want another Golden Tate. That's all.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":zh12m1bs said:
I don't understand this at all...

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
James Carpenter will do just fine. He needs to stay healthy. Most people don't realize that it took Max Unger some time too to put it together as a center. He was shifted a lot on the line.

James looked very good to dominant at times in the running game as a LG when he was healthy.

Reaction score
I get warm feelings thinking about Hopkins with the rest of our receiving corps... :shock:

Just think..

1: Can be Day 1 starter at any of the WR positions

2: Able to fill in anywhere on the field = WR depth instantly improved. (Unfortunately this would probably spell the end for Obo, who I think would be on team as a do-it-all type WR at present, although a bit of savvy backup is welcome)

3: Plays (in a very basic guesstimation) as a cross between Tate and Rice - good hand catcher, deceptively fast, knows how to get open.

4: Exceptional work ethic and attitude - will slot in with Wilson perfectly. Can just see them pushing each other better and better.

5: Mr Dependable.

We've been relatively lucky with our skill positions this year in that they've kept healthy for the most part. If Rice or Tate went down I believe Hopkins could step up and we could rely on him much the same as we can Doug Baldwin in a pinch. If and when all 4 of them could go at once - we'd be able to sub in packages to keep them fresh and use a lot of different looks. Our offensive weapons would start to look like Green Bays, no real MEGA receiver - just many good to great ones.

Wilson likes to spread the ball around a lot - he doesn't care about who he's throwing it to, he thinks more about *where* he's throwing it. I.e. "who's open?" "Who gives me the best option to help the team right now?" For this - we need another receiver who is going to get open consistently and take his chances when given the ball. I like no other WR in this draft (or Free Agency) than Hopkins for this.

Latest posts