If Clemons knee is signifigantly injured

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
If Clemons knee is signifigantly injured
Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm
  • Does DE become our number 1 need?
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18513
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • That seems likely, unless we sign a free agent. Of course I wouldn't bet against Pete and John finding a stud in the 3rd round.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2183
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • I think it was already high on the list (along with DT and CB on defense).
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    User avatar
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4583
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm
    Location: UT


  • Just go D-line heavy IMO. Doesn't have to be early, we can make something happen with a trade or a late rounder.
    User avatar
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5219
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • I'm hoping we can snag Starks from Miami so help with our interior pass rush. Maybe Jones stays for cheap but who knows. I think if Clem has significant knee damage at this last in his career we may need to address that quickly. Scruggs did look pretty good out there today though. Him and Irvin were getting some serious pressure at the end.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1566
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • CB is a need? We have Sherman, Browner, Lane and maxwell who are all young. Add Walter Thurmond who is as good as any if he can stay healthy.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 432
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm


  • I think it's a need, yes. Lane and Maxwell are unknowns, Thurmond can't stay healthy. Further, none project as good slot corners, in my opinion.

    Isn't Browner a FA after next year, too?
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    User avatar
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4583
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:20 pm
    Location: UT


  • No because we drafted his heir apparent in round one last year. So unless we're going to admit Irvin is nothing but a role-player, he gets the gig until Clemons is back and we find a way to add depth at DE elsewhere.

    What's more, there isn't an obvious LEO with a late first round range. There are a few nice options later. And I suspect they could bring in a guy like Osi Umenyiora without completely breaking the bank.
    User avatar
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7941
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am


  • While there are a few things the Seahawks can use I don't think there is that one glaring need on this team like in years past.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 5872
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • I would like a DT or WR over a DE in the first round but it all depends on the talent that's available most of the good DLineman will probably be gone when we pick so a WR is more likely.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2260
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


  • I think the need is on the DL also. Clemons is tied to us for 3 years. Lets see if it is his ACL first
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1859
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


  • I think if Werner is available, he'd be strongly considered. But he won't be.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10679
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:No because we drafted his heir apparent in round one last year. So unless we're going to admit Irvin is nothing but a role-player, he gets the gig until Clemons is back and we find a way to add depth at DE elsewhere.

    What's more, there isn't an obvious LEO with a late first round range. There are a few nice options later. And I suspect they could bring in a guy like Osi Umenyiora without completely breaking the bank.


    Ivin will be a stud at LEO. What we now need is a pass rush specialist for 3rd downs. Is there anyone in the 3rd - 5th round that could fill that role?
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2482
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • I'm hoping we can get Ansah. Imagine Irvin's speed on the outside forcing the QB to step up into THAT! :snack:
    User avatar
    SomersetHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 505
    Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 am
    Location: United Kingdom


  • Maybe not #1 need but I would have Zero complaints if we took another DE in the 1st even if Clemons hadn't gone down. You can never have too many pass rushers and depth behind Clemons/Irvin is limited.
    User avatar
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 767
    Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am


  • polarbill1999 wrote:CB is a need? We have Sherman, Browner, Lane and maxwell who are all young. Add Walter Thurmond who is as good as any if he can stay healthy.

    No it's not a need.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1663
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


  • I think getting a real 3 tech would be more beneficial to our pass rush that replacing Irving (who replaces Clemons). Plus let's see what Scruggs can in Irving's spot.

    I think PC will get creative to manufacture some more pass rush and something that he does will stick.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    User avatar
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1663
    Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:46 pm


  • I'd love to get Dione Jordan if he's available.
    ShaunPope
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 186
    Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:10 pm
    Location: Everett, WA


  • Ansah or Jordan would make a nice addition to this defense. Both could rotate with Bryant at the 5-Tech allowing the Hawks to generate more pass rush while still being solid to that side against the run. Irvin would be the LEO, with Clemons either on the PUP or slowly working his way back as the backup LEO. Who knows, maybe Clem is the next AP and comes back in record time, with added speed and agility, you never know anymore but I'd doubt it. I hope so, but just being realistic.

    What I'd really love is to snag one of these 2 in this year's draft and then go all-in on Jadeveon Clowney the following year. With another fine draft next April, I think the Hawks should be one of the best, deepest, most exciting teams in the league. I know it goes against Schneider and Carroll's philosophies, but I'd seriously consider trading the farm to get the 1 guy on defense that would make us nearly unbeatable. Irvin and Clowney would make a devastating combination. Plus, JS/PC have found so many gems in the later rounds that if any team were able to offset losing some first rounders, it'd be us.

    Just a crazy idea. I'm sure Schneider and Carroll will end up doing what's best for the team.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1392
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • I'm surprised nobody's mentioned o-line as a need, after the recent deluge of sacks.
    User avatar
    dsquid
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 156
    Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 am
    Location: NJ


  • I think no one mentions the OL as much as we have depth ( who could not use more) and a young time that IMO needs time to play together longer. Most really good lines have a good mix of young players and vets. We have all you players. This is the first year in a long time the majority of snaps have had the same players
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1859
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


  • A stud penetrating pass rushing 3 tech DT is our first, second and third priority in the off season. We need that 3 down Warren Sapp kinda guy who is big enough to stuff a lane against the run but can get into the backfield like nobody's business. We have the speed off the ends, but that pressure up the middle is needed in the worst way. Jason Jones's absence is very noticable.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11231
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • I think so. I was in the reciever, TE camp before. The loss of Jason Jones affected pass rush. We need to maintain and even improve the pass rush, so yes. I think our poor third down numbers speak to that.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9181
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • I worry about the OL. I think Lynch makes them look better than they are and with the number of shots he takes, I'd hate to see him end up like the great Earl Campbell. I also think we can expect a lot more blitz packages coming the way of Mr. Wilson. I am unsure of exactly what the story is with Moffit. I'm no expert, but I expected more from him. I am concerned PC and JS, even if they feel we need to add to the line, may not do so after using such high picks on Carp and Moffit. OL are not sexy picks and they may fear some sort of backlash if they were to grab a Warmac (etc.). Probably silly of me to think this but it's a concern I have. I've had posters screaming..."No frikin' way do we draft OL, we need a wide-out...how many OL are we going to draft"?. My answer to that would be as many as it takes until our franchise QB (etc.) is better protected.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5073
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • HawkWow wrote:I worry about the OL. I think Lynch makes them look better than they are and with the number of shots he takes, I'd hate to see him end up like the great Earl Campbell. I also think we can expect a lot more blitz packages coming the way of Mr. Wilson. I am unsure of exactly what the story is with Moffit. I'm no expert, but I expected more from him. I am concerned PC and JS, even if they feel we need to add to the line, may not do so after using such high picks on Carp and Moffit. OL are not sexy picks and they may fear some sort of backlash if they were to grab a Warmac (etc.). Probably silly of me to think this but it's a concern I have. I've had posters screaming..."No frikin' way do we draft OL, we need a wide-out...how many OL are we going to draft"?. My answer to that would be as many as it takes until our franchise QB (etc.) is better protected.


    Lynch makes OL look better than they are for sure, but not to the point where we could have a top two rushing attack with a mediocre line. That O-line has to be for real. The blitzes are a concern, but Rob has pointed out to me that a lot of the recent blitzing has come off the edges, which isn't something guards can be expected to handle.

    I think the best way to protect Wilson at this point is with a security-blanket-type WR/TE. There's little point in drafting a first-round guard if Wilson still spends so many plays dropping back, looking in vain for a target, and then scrambling away from his protection.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11247
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:I worry about the OL. I think Lynch makes them look better than they are and with the number of shots he takes, I'd hate to see him end up like the great Earl Campbell. I also think we can expect a lot more blitz packages coming the way of Mr. Wilson. I am unsure of exactly what the story is with Moffit. I'm no expert, but I expected more from him. I am concerned PC and JS, even if they feel we need to add to the line, may not do so after using such high picks on Carp and Moffit. OL are not sexy picks and they may fear some sort of backlash if they were to grab a Warmac (etc.). Probably silly of me to think this but it's a concern I have. I've had posters screaming..."No frikin' way do we draft OL, we need a wide-out...how many OL are we going to draft"?. My answer to that would be as many as it takes until our franchise QB (etc.) is better protected.


    Lynch makes OL look better than they are for sure, but not to the point where we could have a top two rushing attack with a mediocre line. That O-line has to be for real. The blitzes are a concern, but Rob has pointed out to me that a lot of the recent blitzing has come off the edges, which isn't something guards can be expected to handle.

    I think the best way to protect Wilson at this point is with a security-blanket-type WR/TE. There's little point in drafting a first-round guard if Wilson still spends so many plays dropping back, looking in vain for a target, and then scrambling away from his protection.


    Excellent point on RW scrambling away from his protection. I hadn't looked at it that way. I do need to give the line some props for their discipline. As much as RW moves around, I seldom see a flag for illegal man downfield. I can go back to concentrating on the D-line now. ;)
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5073
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0




It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests