EPL 2012-2013

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1sxvmpp3 said:
How do you not love Luis Suarez? Best footballer in the PL by a mile right now.

It's hard to disagree, but his reputation is what keeps people from agreeing to the fullest

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Suarez has elevated himself to the most dangerous player in the PL and top 4-5 players in the world. "Reputation" is subjective and watching the media start supporting him and recognizing his brilliance, fortitude and strength has been a pleasant reprieve. He starts diving again and its back to 3 months ago. But for now he deserves the credit for overcoming the pressures (and most PL defenses)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":k9kvw1gs said:
InSuarezWeTrust":k9kvw1gs said:
What kind of player is Tom Ince?

Was an interesting young prospect and seems to have some ability, but I personally don't rate him as more than a squad player.

Ince is a young pacey winger, much in the same mold as Sterling (not as technical) and Assaidi (not as fast). Has a good scoring record with Blackpool. He's a nice squad player. with the addition of Sturridge (which I'm excited about) the resurgence of Downing and the soon returning Borini we have nice depth at the position. Adding Ince let's us give Sterling more breaks and allows us to play Suso in the midfield, where he belongs. Be a good move, and we get 35% off the transfer fee so any proposed fee will be that much less if agreed.

Losing Cole reduces the wage bill considerably for the summer. I think Rodgers is satisfied with the squad adding sturridge and ince. Look for a couple bigger buys this summer, or maybe pre contract for Holtby?

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2evmayb5 said:
Suarez has elevated himself to the most dangerous player in the PL and top 4-5 players in the world. "Reputation" is subjective and watching the media start supporting him and recognizing his brilliance, fortitude and strength has been a pleasant reprieve. He starts diving again and its back to 3 months ago. But for now he deserves the credit for overcoming the pressures (and most PL defenses)

Suarez is probably the main reason Liverpool isn't in the Relegation battle, he deserves a ton of credit and admiration. But like you side he dives one time and it goes to hell for him. Like Bale, his talent would be recognize a lot more if he didn't dive as much as he has.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Here's the latest installment from everybody's favourite, Alex Ferguson, talking about Fryers' move to Spurs:

"We knew immediately and suspected that he would return to Tottenham in January and that's happened. It's a [Spurs chairman] Daniel Levy deal. You know, it's his fingerprints all over it. It's the kind of thing we expected he was going to do."

And just to blow all Spurs fans minds Levy has signed 2 players in the first week of a window! Although Holtby won't be joining til summer, he's coming for free. Good job. Striker next please.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkspur":3nhbqdfa said:
Here's the latest installment from everybody's favourite, Alex Ferguson, talking about Fryers' move to Spurs:

"We knew immediately and suspected that he would return to Tottenham in January and that's happened. It's a [Spurs chairman] Daniel Levy deal. You know, it's his fingerprints all over it. It's the kind of thing we expected he was going to do."

And just to blow all Spurs fans minds Levy has signed 2 players in the first week of a window! Although Holtby won't be joining til summer, he's coming for free. Good job. Striker next please.

Holtby is a nice player. Wanted him at Liverpool. But 90k a week? That's a lot. Bale has to be on the move to Real no? I mean where does he git into that midfield with Bale? Poor Siggurdsen.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bale off to Madrid in the summer. I'm pretty sure the remuneration would be too enticing for Levy to turn down. Imagine having to defend against Bale and Ronaldo. Nightmare.

90K is a lot. Are you sure about that? Spurs have never paid anyone close to that much. Bale's on 75.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Although I guess if it's a free transfer he may well get a signing on bonus to make his wage average that over 3 or 4 years.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
All I heard for the last month was how Arsenal was planning to be real busy during the January Transfer Window. 4 days in and it seems like half of the players Arsenal were linked with have either moved to other clubs or signed new contracts with their clubs. Wenger and the board better get off their ass and do something positive.

David Villa is supposedly pushing to get a move to Arsenal. I'm a bit skeptical about this but numerous outlets have been talking about this link and each one seems to point to both Arsenal and Villa wanting this to happen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Well what should have been 4 or 5-0 early turns into a clown show for Liverpool, rescued only by Suarez dubious goal. Feel bad for Mansfield. Ref should have supported them there. Don't think even suarez thought it would count. Either way, nice debut for sturridge. Easy to see what he brings. Should have bagged three early and one late, but rusty. I like him though.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1bh0qd7d said:
Well what should have been 4 or 5-0 early turns into a clown show for Liverpool, rescued only by Suarez dubious goal. Feel bad for Mansfield. Ref should have supported them there. Don't think even suarez thought it would count. Either way, nice debut for sturridge. Easy to see what he brings. Should have bagged three early and one late, but rusty. I like him though.

Agreed. All that matters to me is that we live to fight another day. On to Oldham in round 4!

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I shouldn't be that surprised that we didn't beat Swansea, seeing as in the last 4 meetings, Arsenal's only victory was off of a dumb goalkeeping decision and lucky goal. Still doesn't excuse the fact that Arsenal coughed up the lead that they fought their ass off to get with 3 minutes remaining. They've seriously gotta close down players on set pieces faster if they're gonna keep doing that zonal marking cause Graham was given a century of time and space to use, and at this point we gotta start thinking that anytime Michu gets in the box with the ball, it's gonna be in the goal not long after. As for Arsenal's goals, both were extremely well done, with Gibbs' being the best one of the match.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
This is for ISWT cause I'm interested to know. Exactly how proud are you, in knowing that the only reason that Liverpool don't have a replay with Mansfield is cause a ref totally missed a deliberate handball?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":aynud99s said:
This is for ISWT cause I'm interested to know. Exactly how proud are you, in knowing that the only reason that Liverpool don't have a replay with Mansfield is cause a ref totally missed a deliberate handball?
"
Hows your Carling (Capital One) campaign going?

Oh wait....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":1kccilaf said:
Uncle Si":1kccilaf said:

Agreed. All that matters to me is that we live to fight another day. On to Oldham in round 4!

Definately no apologies... we made 8 changes to the team that beat Sunderland, our starting striker hadnt played proper football in 2 months and we started three teenagers not named "Sterling"...

The Cup is a pitfall (see Newcastle) so despite the inglorious goal, Im happy to progress while United have a replay with West Ham to cope with in succession to our match. its not pretty, but done.

Again though, i must say, really impressed with Mansfield. Played the second half with determination, and despite a poor miss by the ref, moved on. Their manager showed a ton of class in the post match interview, congratulating Liverpool and Suarez, and despite the tapping up of the announcers admitted that Suarez was world class and "England is lucky to have him"... ive been on the wrong side of poor officiating, and with far less on the line, and have a hard time turning it. Very impressed.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":9rk98dlv said:
Gatehawk":9rk98dlv said:
"

Oh wait....

Are you ISWT? Last I checked you aren't. And oh yeah, yours went so much better than Arsenal's.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2zlpe5my said:
Uncle Si":2zlpe5my said:
Gatehawk":2zlpe5my said:
"

Oh wait....

Are you ISWT? Last I checked you aren't. And oh yeah, yours went so much better than Arsenal's.

PM him them...

Who did you lose to again?

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2symtl8n said:

Proud? Not really. Happy that we get to keep playing in the FA cup? Definitely.

You know every team gets screwed eventually, so you might as well celebrate when it benefits you because it won't be long until you're on the other end. It isn't footballers jobs to call fouls on themselves.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":uep1mkyk said:
Gatehawk":uep1mkyk said:

Proud? Not really. Happy that we get to keep playing in the FA cup? Definitely.

You know every team gets screwed eventually, so you might as well celebrate when it benefits you because it won't be long until you're on the other end. It isn't footballers jobs to call fouls on themselves.

Dont even bite... noone should question Suarez on this. the fact that others do shows a sense of the inherent racism that permeates the FA, or an unrealized sense of hypocrisy.

Now, i feel Gate's real question is more in regards to the poor second half performance and getting bailed out by the referee. In that, it was a slop fest last 45 and we were very fortunate. Brad Jones showed himself a PL level keeper, but others really struggled. The back 4 looked poor. Carragher is a coach not a 90 minute Cback. Coates needs more minutes. Great to see Jack Robinson again, and he truly understands how to join the attack. But another player who needs more minutes.

Im excited to see Sturridge and Suarez together. Was hoping BR would have let them run for atleast 10 minutes together