Selling the farm?

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
With the Hawks being such a young team and having reasonable depth on the roster, posters on here keep saying its going to be harder to find spots on the team for rookies once they are drafted, especially the amount of gems the FO uncovers.

If this is the case, maybe not this upcoming draft but the 2014 draft, would packaging multiple picks to move up and draft some superstar be any more feasible for this team? (Don't ask me who cause I don't watch college ball) but I would love to be watching a draft when the Seahawks pulled something like this, maybe for the young USC WR mentioned on here.

If the top sentence was true would it make it less risky or is it just a dream?

pinksheets

Reaction score
Yes, it does become more feasible, though I don't think it becomes more likely. This FO likes their picks obviously and, I think, trust themselves to the extent that they feel they'll always come out with more value trusting their scouting reports and targeting their high upside guys throughout the draft. Not to mention that a lot of our young guys are going to be due up for contracts soon and some tough decisions will likely have to be made here and there, so they're always going to be looking for that next mid-round/late round picks that can be solid contributors and potential starters.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'm going to go with a no on this one.

While it sounds nice to do, the one downside (and it's definitely not a downside at all) of being so great and young is that all these studs on our team will all require new deals at the same time. We can't pay everyone. Got to keep doing what has been done, constantly getting younger and better. Competition should never stop, and I don't see PC or JS ever not bring in as many players as possible to keep everyone performing at peak levels.

Plus what's the need? They are finding absolute stars late in drafts anyways, so why limit the amount of players they can draft by packaging draft picks together? When you're constantly getting starters and contributors like Sherm, Kam, KJ, Byron, Lane, Malcolm, McCoy, Sweezy and Scruggs why sacrifice those picks for the chance at one player?

kearly

Reaction score
I would argue no. The shotgun draft approach isn't just about building depth, it's means you have more raffle tickets that could turn into Russell Wilson's and Richard Sherman's. You draft a guy like EJ Wilson, Mark LeGree, or Korey Toomer and he doesn't even make the team, it's an acceptable form of waste. If Seattle hadn't wasted a pick on Kris Durham in the 4th round, maybe they are drafting him in the 5th round instead of Sherman. It's kind of a domino effect. More bullets fired equals more hits.

This year Seattle already has 8 to 10 picks. Given the quality of the roster you can probably expect 3 or 4 players to not make the roster out of the draft, but you could also expect that 2 or 3 of them will be terrific players.

Now, if Seattle feels that some area is an urgent need, and trading up is the only way to address it, then that changes things. For example, if they felt they needed another pass rusher to replace Clemons, they would probably need to move up and grab Bjoern Werner (which is a move I'd be a fan of, it'd be a lot like when Green Bay moved up for Clay Matthews).