Updated mock draft + a few thoughts

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Darrington+Sentimore+Dak+Prescott+2bbpdnAEfhHm.jpg

For those interested in this type of thing:

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/mock-draft ... th-january

Two round mock. Also listed 'best available' at all positions for further rounds.

I've also written a sub-piece on why I think Kansas City should draft Matt Barkley and some other notes...

Tennessee defensive lineman Darrington Sentimore today declared for the draft. He’s a former transfer from Alabama. This is a boost for Seahawks fans hoping to identify a mid-round defensive tackle who can rush the passer. Sentimore is a fiery character, he weighs 290lbs and is 6-2 in height. He never truly delivered on his promise in college, but he has a lot of talent. He could be on Seattle’s radar. I’ve also left out Brandon Coleman in this weeks projection. Rutgers coach Kyle Flood says he doesn’t expect any more players to turn pro before the January 15th deadline and Coleman is yet to commit either way. I think he’d be better off turning pro given the quarterback situation, but it appears he might be spending another year in college. He’s only a redshirt sophomore.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A small note on Dion Jordan who i noticed you said needs to get healthy for the combine:

@TonyPauline

Can now confirm Dion Jordan/OLB-DE/Oregon will have surgery to repair a torn labrum..

Hurt it back in the Colorado game so he played the last 5 games with it. Not sure of the recovery time on this surgery? Hopefully he'll be ready for the combine.

HawkWow

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3bdr532r said:
Darrington+Sentimore+Dak+Prescott+2bbpdnAEfhHm.jpg

For those interested in this type of thing:

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/mock-draft ... th-january

Two round mock. Also listed 'best available' at all positions for further rounds.

I've also written a sub-piece on why I think Kansas City should draft Matt Barkley and some other notes...

Tennessee defensive lineman Darrington Sentimore today declared for the draft. He’s a former transfer from Alabama. This is a boost for Seahawks fans hoping to identify a mid-round defensive tackle who can rush the passer. Sentimore is a fiery character, he weighs 290lbs and is 6-2 in height. He never truly delivered on his promise in college, but he has a lot of talent. He could be on Seattle’s radar. I’ve also left out Brandon Coleman in this weeks projection. Rutgers coach Kyle Flood says he doesn’t expect any more players to turn pro before the January 15th deadline and Coleman is yet to commit either way. I think he’d be better off turning pro given the quarterback situation, but it appears he might be spending another year in college. He’s only a redshirt sophomore.

I too think KC should take Barkley...with the first pick in the second rd. IMO, which isn't worth much, there's not a QB in this draft that should be taken in the top 15. I like Barkley, but I will be stunned if he becomes anything other than another great USC QB that proves to be mediocre at the next level. Especially if he's drafted at the top of the 1st, which means he will be expected to start and contribute immediately.

With the above in mind, I think Flynn presents a whole bunch more value this year than he did last. I don't want to move Flynn at all, whether he wants to go elsewhere or not (too bad) but IF we feel compelled to move him (and his salary), all things considered, I think we'd be in position to get a late 2nd, high 3rd for him. If not, He should stay put, IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
The server has been having issues the last few months. Not sure what the story is.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sorry my host switched to a more consistent server last night and the site was down for a few hours.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
MLOhawks":15tenl8d said:
Why would we draft Ertz when we already have Zach Miller? That makes no sense to me.

Because the team runs a lot of 2TE sets and would almost certainly like to run more. There's a reason the Seahawks brought in Jacob Tamme and Visanthe Shiancoe for a free agent meeting last year, then traded for Kellen Winslow and expressed interest in Fred Davis before he was franchised. Darrell Bevell was all over Coby Fleener at his pro-day last year. They clearly wanted to add to this position.

The concept of two dynamic TE's is not foreign to the league. New England do it with great success. Stanford use their two TE's as primary receivers, it's a great way to run PA and play run heavy. What's more Ertz played a lot of snaps out wide or in the slot. He's much more athletic than Miller - as evidenced by the downfield bomb he collected in the Rose Bowl, where he ran a deep route and got in behind two defensive backs.

It's not a crazy concept. And if people truly believe Seattle are in a position to go BPA... well there's also that too.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":vgyntnjk said:
MLOhawks":vgyntnjk said:
Why would we draft Ertz when we already have Zach Miller? That makes no sense to me.

Because the team runs a lot of 2TE sets and would almost certainly like to run more. There's a reason the Seahawks brought in Jacob Tamme and Visanthe Shiancoe for a free agent meeting last year, then traded for Kellen Winslow and expressed interest in Fred Davis before he was franchised. Darrell Bevell was all over Coby Fleener at his pro-day last year. They clearly wanted to add to this position.

The concept of two dynamic TE's is not foreign to the league. New England do it with great success. Stanford use their two TE's as primary receivers, it's a great way to run PA and play run heavy. What's more Ertz played a lot of snaps out wide or in the slot. He's much more athletic than Miller - as evidenced by the downfield bomb he collected in the Rose Bowl, where he ran a deep route and got in behind two defensive backs.

It's not a crazy concept. And if people truly believe Seattle are in a position to go BPA... well there's also that too.

Have you looked at Travis Kelce at all? He seems an intriguing prospect and a guy who they could get lower down than Ertz.

Subzero717

Reaction score
While I don't see him falling out of the first round the way some mocks have him I don't see Barkley even close to the number 1 pick and I don't think KC will either. His shoulder injury wont help his cause either. He slides.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":jjvu3xyn said:
While I don't see him falling out of the first round the way some mocks have him I don't see Barkley even close to the number 1 pick and I don't think KC will either. His shoulder injury wont help his cause either. He slides.

KC have to take the best QB... so they'll pick their poison here. I think Reid will think the best QB is Barkley. And the shoulder injury means very little. Sam Bradford missed an entire season after picking up his second shoulder injury and was #1 overall. Christian Ponder was always suffering elbow/shoulder injuries.

pehawk

Reaction score
Love the Hawks Round 2 pick. He'd be DREAMY.

Subzero717

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2laei3b7 said:
CALIHAWK1":2laei3b7 said:

KC have to take the best QB... so they'll pick their poison here. I think Reid will think the best QB is Barkley. And the shoulder injury means very little. Sam Bradford missed an entire season after picking up his second shoulder injury and was #1 overall. Christian Ponder was always suffering elbow/shoulder injuries.

True, but that class will serve as caution. Reid knows QBs and if he takes Barkley so be it. I just don't know if I would say its a garuntee just yet. Especially with a weak class and other options later.

pehawk

Reaction score
Quick, name a QB who has struggled under Andy Reid. I'll wait. Go ahead. No, name one QB tha's struggled under Reid.

Point is, you cant really. Yes, Vick played like garbage this year, but only after they were signing street FA's to block for him

Fact is, Reid make's the QB, not the other way around. If I know that, Reid knows that. He'll try and trade down first (lets not forget the Eagles we're a VERY savvy team this way w/Reid).

I'm not sure he'll take Barkley. The Chiefs may be one "Matt Flynn" away from competing for that weak division. It's a young and talented roster.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
You mean just like they were a Matt Cassel away from competing in that weak division?

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ebt5oug said:
You mean just like they were a Matt Cassel away from competing in that weak division?

No, not really.

But, McNabb, Garcia, Kolb, Vick, Foles (I'm missing some) all thrived under Reid. I could throw for 2,500 and 18TD's in a Reid system is my point. I'm not sure he'll bite on a QB prospect who isn't far and away the #1 because of it.

I actually dig Barkley.