Remember "Almost Live!"

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Remember "Almost Live!"
Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:02 pm
  • You would have to be pretty old if you do. Anyways the gang is back together and after Saturday Night Live today. Show is called the "the206". I was pretty excited because Almost Live! was awesome.

DVR to 12:30 on NBC
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Re: Remember "Almost Live!"
Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:18 pm
  • Nice! They had some pretty funny stuff...I'm only 27, so you don't have to be that old, I'm guessing.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:02 pm
  • Pretty old? Man....
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:25 pm
  • Heard them talking about it with one of the main guys on KISW. I really wasn't around for Almost Live, but I've seen clips of it. Looks good.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:38 pm
  • God I loved that show, I'd sit through Saturday Night Live to watch that afterwards.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 pm
  • Pretty old? Come on man.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:26 pm
  • I'm in my 30's and it was on after I left Seattle in my teens. That means at most the show is about 20-ish years old. My cousin used to send me tapes of it and I'd laugh my head off. Pat Cashman and Bill Nye the Science Guy were funny on that show. In fact, that's where the "science guy" got his start, and Disney bought him up based on his appearances on Almost Live. The fact that he did that show is huge. He's changed how science is taught in schools throughout the country, and his videos alone have made it so that even teachers who struggle with science instruction can muddle through enough to where the kids learn the stuff they need to and are prepared for the next level of science.

I remember when we initially started using his video series, and our science scores jumped by about 10-15 points school wide. We sent many kids off to AP science and many I taught are now working in the sciences and seeing how "cool" it is, and I thank Bill Nye for that. I got to see him speak and discuss his story at the National Council for Teachers of Mathematics conference in Las Vegas in about 2002 and he went through his whole story and how he was an engineer and scientist that liked to laugh and turned that into a career that he's proud of. So in a way the United States education system owes a massive amount to Almost Live!
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:01 pm
  • That's really cool Shark!

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:58 am
  • Shock2k wrote:You would have to be pretty old if you do. Anyways the gang is back together and after Saturday Night Live today. Show is called the "the206". I was pretty excited because Almost Live! was awesome.

DVR to 12:30 on NBC

"Pretty old" to remember Almost Live? Is your avatar a recent picture of you?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:34 am
  • So did anyone watch the show? Ballard Vice make a comeback??

:P
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 am
  • I'm too old to stay up that late!
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:51 pm
  • Aros wrote:Pretty old? Come on man.

seriously.

and sorry but they weren't funny at all back then, they aren't funny today. id like to launch whoever keeps putting this crew on tv into space. so many better uses for that timeslot.

sorry,but they're all awful imo
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 pm
  • It's smarmy, local humor. They were a staple back in the day...I watched last night and it was the same stuff. You can hate it but I think it's like slipping into a pair of beat-up old shoes that just feel comfortable.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:03 pm
  • Aros wrote:It's smarmy, local humor. They were a staple back in the day...I watched last night and it was the same stuff. You can hate it but I think it's like slipping into a pair of beat-up old shoes that just feel comfortable.

Couldn't put it any better. Think they will start dissing Kent again (haven't watched it yet, on the DVR).
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:30 pm
  • "High Fivin' White Guys! All RIGHT!!!"
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 am
  • I loved the waiter who kept getting the order wrong.

"Here's the big bowl of fire you ordered!"
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 am
  • Does anyone remember the Bellevue Squares vs. Factoria Trash skit?

And all the Renton, Ballard and Bellingham jokes.... god loved that show.
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:44 pm
  • LAME!!
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:I'm in my 30's and it was on after I left Seattle in my teens. That means at most the show is about 20-ish years old. My cousin used to send me tapes of it and I'd laugh my head off. Pat Cashman and Bill Nye the Science Guy were funny on that show. In fact, that's where the "science guy" got his start, and Disney bought him up based on his appearances on Almost Live. The fact that he did that show is huge. He's changed how science is taught in schools throughout the country, and his videos alone have made it so that even teachers who struggle with science instruction can muddle through enough to where the kids learn the stuff they need to and are prepared for the next level of science.

I remember when we initially started using his video series, and our science scores jumped by about 10-15 points school wide. We sent many kids off to AP science and many I taught are now working in the sciences and seeing how "cool" it is, and I thank Bill Nye for that. I got to see him speak and discuss his story at the National Council for Teachers of Mathematics conference in Las Vegas in about 2002 and he went through his whole story and how he was an engineer and scientist that liked to laugh and turned that into a career that he's proud of. So in a way the United States education system owes a massive amount to Almost Live!

That's a cool testimonial. Bill Nye was my hero.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:35 pm
  • Aros wrote:It's smarmy, local humor. They were a staple back in the day...I watched last night and it was the same stuff. You can hate it but I think it's like slipping into a pair of beat-up old shoes that just feel comfortable.

Yeah, and sorry. I just never was a fan of Almost Live comedy regurgitation. They'd have a rare moment delivering a decent chuckle here and there but most of it was forgetful imo. I've been to parties with some of them (Nye, Guppy, Keister), all great people of course, but let's just say they're funnier at a party than Almost Live.

But the real reason for the "206" disappointment was seeing a pitch by a young local crew who put together a very cool local artist series which was never given the proper consideration. I wish you all could have seen it because it was REALLY well done and featured some truly wild music and artists (and far funnier comedy btw) you normally will never see. The project was stymied after finding out the slot was being held for more of the same ("The 206"). Sad.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:48 pm
  • hawkfan1975 wrote: I've been to parties with some of them (Nye, Guppy, Keister), all great people of course, but let's just say they're funnier at a party than Almost Live.

Nye is an asshole, always has been. Very smart man, and he does a lot to push education, but the guy is way too full of himself.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 am
  • So, 2 shows in so far with Cashman Jr. , Cashman, and Keister (apparently Guppy, Nye and others have either a semblance of pride or some remaining scruples).

(at it's best) It's local, advertisement schlepping, forced and unfunny, geriatric comedy. The fireplace channel could give this a run for it's money.
    Seattle is better than this (way better).
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:19 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information