Why I think we will lose this game

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1bv8z6rt said:
RolandDeschain":1bv8z6rt said:
I am not underestimating the importance of pressuring the passer, but we've won a lot of games this year with crap pressure put on the opposing QB. Just sayin'.

Sure. But then we haven't played the #1 seed on the road. The best quarterback we've beaten with this situation on the road is Jay Cutler.

And he's like a hung over Jeff George!

It will not surprise me in the least if we win this game.

That's my football analysis. Obviously I'm a big X's & O's guy.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
One thing to remember about the NFL - usually the obvious things we "think" are going to happen don't end up working out that way. It's kind of funny.

For example, remember how we were supposed to destroy the Cards and Rams suspect offensive lines in our first match-ups? Yeah, that didn't happen.

Pressure has been a huge problem all season long, and yet we have won six in a row and are a win away from the NFC Championship game.

One thing this team has learned how to do is win by making up for problems in other areas. Earlier in the season when our offense was BLECH, our defense was the key. Before Wilson really caught fire, Beast Mode was the key. Now we have a total team that wins by adhering to the axiom if holism - the "whole is better than the sum of it's parts".

I agree that it's a concern, but I'm not ready to concede that it means we will lose.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2difzq7s said:
Road, schmoad. Matt Ryan was a much better QB on the road this year than at home. Bottom line, we beat Brady without much pressure.

We also lost to much poorer QB's on the road (Tannehill, Stafford) due to a lack of pressure. If you won't to ignore this and just presume we'll be fine, that's fine by me. Just trying to raise a valid concern and have a discussion about it. I don't think 'we beat Brady by one point in a completely different situation' is enough of a counter though.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm not presuming we'll be fine, I just think this team is used to finding ways to win without much QB pressure. I want a lot of QB pressure, but we're probably one of the least pressure-dependent defenses in the NFL. Not getting QB pressure does not automatically spell doom for us. IMO, if we lose this game, it's going to be because of short passes over the middle & quick slants, and Gonzalez will have a big day.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Wagner is fast enough to get pressure up the middle, and, let's face it, it's not like our linebacking crew stays glued to the middle of the field very often anyway.

I also think the lack of concern about the Atlanta game means we load up on passing packages. I wouldn't be surprised to see us dare them to run on constant passing fronts. Or, even if you want, you just tell Branch and Bryant to stay in the game and play the run, everyone else plays the pass until Turner proves he can move worth a damn.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Barthawk":ob8wi00u said:
well... pressure won't be as necessary when we possess the ball 35 minutes of the game by running it effectively.. that is the key to beating ATL, not pressure, but our running game..

we run the ball like we have most of the season, we win... simple..

I wish this was true. Not saying we cannot be a force with the run, but they are going to have the football too. And if Matt Ryan scores quick points in the passing game, we're not necessarily going to be able to run... run... run... all day from behind.

Zebulon Dak":ob8wi00u said:

I will not be surprised either. This thread is just a different angle on the game and my two cents on something that worries me a little.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This game is new territory for the 2012 Seahawks. Imagine the New England/Detroit games, but against an even better trio of primary targets. Welker/Lloyd/Gronk and Megatron/Young/Pettigrew aren't as ominous to me as Young/Jones/Gonzalez. In those other two games, it came down to the wire, and to Russell Wilson. We lost one of them.

I stand my prediction of Detroit scoring at least four touchdowns on us. Wilson and Lynch will have to match him. That's where our best chance lies, as Atlanta is said to have just the kind of soft defense that Lynch eats for dinner.

scakfan

Reaction score
What a bunch of negative posts. I gaurantee you that Wilson will be very motivated to amend for what I am sure he considers a meager performance last weeked. We are going to demorilize their D! I think their jaw will be dropped on the sidelines when we start pulling away from them on the scoreboard and their offence will then get desperate for big strikes and a turnover or 2 will rear its ugle head for the Falcons.
The game is the Hawks to lose not the the Falcons to win...

BlueTalons

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":16psrsfw said:
mistaowen":16psrsfw said:
We looked fantastic at the end of the game sending blitzes on Kirk Cousins even if he is a rookie. Now I doubt we send that type of heat every single down, but having Clemons out must make our coaches realize we need to get creative to get pressure, especially if we as fans can see it. Bruce and Scruggs really started coming hard in their base packages as well after Clem went down, directly at the QB not dancing outside, so maybe the light finally went on for Bruce?

If we don't get pressure I can see this game ending in 14+ point loss.... their passing game is full of allstars. But like you said, the Cards got pressure on Matty Ice and he isn't the same QB when that happens. He likes to force throws when his pocket is collapsing and that bodes very well for our ballhawking secondary if we can jump it. I imagine we will see Earl covering over the top on Browner's side for most of the game and hoping Sherm can do his thing 1 on 1.

I bet we are going to see a whole lot of Marshawn to help keep them off the field a la Giants versus Brady in both superbowls.

Here's the thing though - we as fans see a heavy blitz against a rookie backup who enters the game in the fourth quarter trailing by ten points. We then see the blitz having success. If we tried that tactic against Matt Ryan, you're essentially saying - get to the QB or we're going to get burned. No grey area there. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan - these guys WANT you to blitz. Kirk Cousins doesn't know what he wants as a rookie backup.

We as fans can say, 'well that worked'. But there's a reason why the coaches are sticking with the four man rush. We're not leaving ourselves open to the big play and if we do create pressure we have a lot of opportunistic players in position to capitalise. I have no doubt that we'll continue doing this against Atlanta, hoping that we get the occasional stop and keep them to three points on drives rather than seven. And we want to play our offensive scheme and score more points than them. That's how we'll look at it. That absolutely has to be the game plan. If they go this way and we lose I won't complain because I don't think the alternative of blitz, blitz, blitz will work any better. I think we'll be destroyed doing that.

Maybe they do get creative on some select plays? The thing is, who do you blitz? I think our LB's need to sit in coverage. Earl needs to stay deep and help out the corners. Kam needs to watch Gonzalez. I'm not sure they have many options here.

And one other thing I think may be our downfall - the corner/safety blitz from their defense. They use it a LOT. Washington had success with it last week. Could be an issue.

BlueTalons":16psrsfw said:
I say we bring the house on blitzes until the Falcons prove they can beat it. If it works keep doing it. If not bring out the Bandit!

It'll be a long day if we do this IMO.
It's only a long day if you keep doing it and it doesn't work....

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ofjupkkq said:
Zebulon Dak":ofjupkkq said:

I will not be surprised either. This thread is just a different angle on the game and my two cents on something that worries me a little.

I think your points are very valid. I also think that, as Roland mentioned, this team seems to find ways to win, even when things aren't working out as planned (see Marshawn's scoop & run or Wilson's misread & run up the gut). I agree our pass rush could suffer with the loss of Clem (although I am exited to see what Brucifer can do at full time Leo), and that pressuring Ryan would be a very helpful way to limit the Falcons offense. I believe we can win this game, consistent pass rush or not.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
How could this thread not mention the 5% body fat Chukwaba..err...Chewbacca at the pinnacle age of 33. Have some faith.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I want to see Matt Ryan on his back and it's not because I find him extremely attractive.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Number one. I don't think Pete is unaware of the need for pressure. The video suggests Matt Ryan struggles when pressured. Pete will have some stuff planned.
Number two. The pass pro for the Falcons is not great up the middle. Neither is the run blocking. There is a good chance, IMO, we will see Seattle's tackles have good push. I think that matters more with a pocket climber like Ryan than edge pressure from Irvin.

I respect your post, English. I was feeling this way earlier. But the matchups just favor us in too many areas. The Falcons D has lived by the turnover. We don't turn the ball over much, especially the last ten games. The Falcons run defense is turrible.

I think this game really might come down to the last possession.

Latest posts