Why I think we will lose this game

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I don't feel losing Clem hurts in with the pass rush as much as it could hurt us in the running game.

pehawk

Reaction score
The best way to compensate for the lack of pressure is Marshaun Lynch. Keep Matty Ice off the field. Bully and wear down the Falcons defense. See how/if Ryan and Smith get antsy with lopsided TOP (they will).

The Hawks can control and dominate this game, defensively and offensively, through their OL.

The Hawks lack of pressure is kind of by design. Keep everything in front and make a team earn HARD yards and sustain punishment for there drives. Its worked all year, no reason to think it won't this time.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawk2k":3urw0jab said:
I don't feel losing Clem hurts in with the pass rush as much as it could hurt us in the running game.

The Falcons are probably the worst rushing team left in the playoffs, and that includes Green Bay.

Their interior line is very paltry and Michael Turner runs like he's 50.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
CANHawk":2x2mlr6l said:
formido":2x2mlr6l said:
Clemons being out doesn't mean we're going to field 10 guys. Someone else will be on the field to take his place. Last week, we seemed to do just pretty darn dandy with Clemons out. Worst case scenario is a marginal reduction in some aspects of defensive efficiency. Best case, and not at all unlikely, fresh legs and fresh personnel groupings reveals exciting new unprepared for advantages.

Y'know, I think the argument can be made pretty easily that Clem's production over the last few years has been as much a result of the scheme as it is a result of the talent of Chris Clemons. I absolutely love the dude and respect the hell out of what he brings, but if Clem is such an amazing talent and an unreplaceable piece of the puzzle that we're doomed without him, where was his production in all the years he was in the NFL prior to becoming the Leo DE in Pete Carroll's 4-3 under defense?

Now we spent a 1st round draft pick on Bruce Irvin because he has all the tools required to play the Leo DE in Pete Carroll's 4-3 under defense. I'm willing to bet that pass rush production from the Leo side of the field won't go down. I'm a little worried about production from the "Raheem Brock" side of the field now that we're going to be relying on Greg Scruggs and a 33 year old workout warrior who hasn't played in 4 years. Scruggs can bring it, but to the same level that Irvin did over there? <shrug> I don't know, but I don't think it will be as big a let down as many are thinking.

Thanks for the pep talk Formido. I've decided that I am no longer worried about our ability to apply pressure to Matt Ryan or the loss of Chris Clemons. the only place where I think Clem is clearly better than Irvin is in run support, but Atlanta sucks at running the ball anyway so I'm not going to worry about it...

Couldn't agree more with both of you. Our pass rushing ability has been our weakest link all year and we've been just fine. I'd be worried if it was Earl Thomas or Sherm that went down. We can compensate with the loss of Clem. I love Clem but its not like we're losing Demarcus Ware or Dwight Freeney. I honestly don't think our pass rush will noticeably suffer. Losing Clem's defense against the run is more of a concern for me but the Falcons blow at running the ball.

Twisted

Reaction score
I'm going to say the same thing about this 2012 Falcons team that I said about the 2010 Saints..

look at their schedule! easier than the 2010 Saints, all those fantastic numbers everyone keeps talking about came against 13 teams that finished under .500

on the other hand the Seahawks 11-5 came against a schedule where 4 of their opponents made the playoffs, 3 of which are still in... the Falcs?

oh wait did the Seahawks beat 3 of those teams still in the playoffs already in reg season? and the Falcs?

c'mon man

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
HawkGANG":xtfanyvu said:
Couldn't agree more with both of you. Our pass rushing ability has been our weakest link all year and we've been just fine.

Could it not be argued that we've won in spite of this issue rather than being 'fine'?

After we played Tom Brady, these are the QB's we faced...

Alex Smith, Matt Stafford, Christian Ponder, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, John Skelton, Ryan Fitzgerald, Colin Kaepernick, Sam Bradford, injured Robert Griffin III.

None of those QB's... IMO... capitalise on a lack of pressure as well as Matt Ryan does throwing to White, Jones and Gonzalez.

That is why I'm a little concerned here. The lack of pass rush has still been an issue, we've just found other ways to win. That could easily happen again against Atlanta. But this could be also be an overdue game where a lack of pass rush finally comes home to roost.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3u02wri1 said:
None of those QB's... IMO... capitalise on a lack of pressure as well as Matt Ryan does throwing to White, Jones and Gonzalez.

I'm not convinced that's Matt Ryan so much as his ridiculous complement of receivers.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Actually, the pass rush isn't the biggest worry for me when it comes to winning this game. The biggest factor Seattle needs to watch is not turning the ball over. Atlanta's strength is forcing the turnover on defense so if we can hold onto the ball, drive down the field consistently, and punch in for TD's we have a very good chance of winning. Yeah, the Falcons have a good tight end, the Pat's had two of them and also a deadly running game. Atlanta doesn't have as good of a running game as NE. We were able to force Brady into turnovers, really one of the only games he had this season turning the ball over more than once. We don't need to blitz like crazy, just play the game they have been playing and force the check downs and such and get those timely stops in the red zone. All you can do is limit good QB's really unless you have 4 all pro D-Linemen constantly destroying the QB. I think we'll be fine and win this game, 24-17.

Twisted

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3067hj2r said:
HawkGANG":3067hj2r said:

against what teams? the Packers? the Patriots? the Bears? the Niners?

let me ask you this, have the Falcons even seen an Elite Defense this year?

Hawks have, they beat em all once..

I,m looking through the ATL schedule and I cant find the elite defenses? fact of the matter is have the Falcons even played an elite team all year long? maybe, if you considered the Skins were Elite entering week 5 @ 2-2... :?

maybe the Giants or the Saints were the Elite Ds they hammered on week in and week out? lol

14djz2s

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Twisted":10l8ewyf said:
against what teams? the Packers? the Patriots? the Bears? the Niners?

let me ask you this, have the Falcons even seen an Elite Defense this year?

Hawks have, they beat em all once..

I,m looking through the ATL schedule and I cant find the elite defenses? fact of the matter is have the Falcons even played an elite team all year long? maybe, if you considered the Skins were Elite entering week 5 @ 2-2... :?

maybe the Giants or the Saints were the Elite Ds they hammered on week in and week out? lol

14djz2s

Firstly, I'm talking about a very specific issue within our defense that I feel will be a problem against the Falcons offense. Saying "Errr... Elite defense" is not a counter to this specific problem. It doesn't address that our strength (DB's) might be neutralised by the time Matt Ryan has in the pocket. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, Ryan is much more clinical and prolific at taking advantage of a non-existent pass rush than the likes of Sam Bradford, Ryan Fitzgerald, John Skelton, Ryan Tannehill, Mark Sanchez and a lot of the other QB's we've faced recently.

For what it's worth, I would say Denver's defense is as good as ours, if not better. And not many teams have beaten Denver this year.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
After watching us respond to getting punched in the mouth/caught off guard to the tune of 14 points and then seeing the way we responded I'm not worried about the Falcons. Are they good? Hell yes, but not as good as we are all the way around. If our guys want it bad enough it will be ours. It will be an exiting game but in the end if we play the way we have been over the last few weeks we move on to the next round.

HawkGANG

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":36mk33et said:
HawkGANG":36mk33et said:
Couldn't agree more with both of you. Our pass rushing ability has been our weakest link all year and we've been just fine.

Could it not be argued that we've won in spite of this issue rather than being 'fine'?

After we played Tom Brady, these are the QB's we faced...

Alex Smith, Matt Stafford, Christian Ponder, Mark Sanchez, Ryan Tannehill, Jay Cutler, John Skelton, Ryan Fitzgerald, Colin Kaepernick, Sam Bradford, injured Robert Griffin III.

That is why I'm a little concerned here. The lack of pass rush has still been an issue, we've just found other ways to win. That could easily happen again against Atlanta. But this could be also be an overdue game where a lack of pass rush finally comes home to roost.

I don't think so because getting pressure on the QB just isn't in our defensive scheme otherwise I believe we would of blitzed a whole lot more this year. I feel Pete's mentality is to force turnovers and to keep players in front of you and not give up the big play. Now I'm not saying I believe Pete shuns the pass rush I just believe he's evaluated our defense enough to understand what it's strengths and weaknesses are and he's devised a scheme to give our guys the best chance to succeed. If we had that pro bowl pass rusher I'm sure our defensive scheme would change..but we don't.

Regarding all the QBs you named...listen my argument is less about if a pass rush on Ryan would be more effective rather than saying QB pressure just isn't and has not been a major part of our defensive scheme, and since it has worked to some effect during the regular season it's not gonna change for the playoffs.

seahawks875

Reaction score
Why do you guys always find something every week to be worried about and say we are going to lose, I mean come on. Last week a bunch of people said the game was over after the first quarter, I think those are the worst type of fans

Reaction score
The best way to defend the Falcons is to keep our offense on the field. Our running game will be critical to our success on offense. Our defense will be very challenged by their receivers. I'm concerned about the 7-12 yard area. Our LB's will have to step up.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lack of pressure has been our biggest problem all year (or at least since Jason Jones went down), but it's been the lack of interior pressure up the middle from the DTs. We'll continue to bring heat from the ends with irvin and scruggs and hopefully we'll continue to be able to overcome that lack of pressure up the middle allowing qbs to step up into the pocket.

Nothing really all that different from the last month or so...

Shock2k

Reaction score
I was worried at the beginning of the week, even wrote a post about why I was worried. I'm not worried anymore. We are going to be fine.

Barthawk

Reaction score
Saints gave up the most yards in the history of the NFL this year, but somehow stifled ATLs high powered passing game in their most recent game in ATL (the game where Brees threw 5 picks)... Falcons only garnered 286 yds of total offense, 166 through the air.. Me thinks that film might be one to take a look at..

it will be a great chess match between our DBs/their WRs and our running game vs their front 7.

madbohem

Reaction score
I have no fear about Atlanta. Here is why

Yada Yada Yada Yawn statistics bleh.

But really this team is all business in preparing itself. Wilson has quite the growing reputation, but some there some things that have taken place this year that prove this team is taking being prepared seriously.

Forget the Wilson story for a moment, Think Richard Sherman instead. Richard Sherman had a sack that was completely based on what Pete was teaching in training camp. It was a specific kind of alignment, that was only shown to the defense once, and Pete had instructed Richard Sherman that regardless of whatever we are doing on defense, you see this formation you just blitz. I believe it was in the Jets game when they had an alignment with an tackle lined up as an eligible receiver and Sherman ditched whatever the current defensive scheme was and went with the preparation from training camp based on that look.

The Fake Field goal when the Hawks got accused of running up the score. I am sure most people are aware of Pete's explanation about it, that it was again an automatic thing to do if a very specific formation lined up against them. It wasn't called, but it was prepared for in a way that compelled them to automatically just run the play as coached.

These two things really stand out to me about this team, among so many other things that speak about the preparation. Nobody is on this asking or second guessing what they have been taught about what they are suppose to do.

Statistically this game has a lot to say about a really good Offense in Atlanta being interesting against a really good defense with a battle between top corners and wide receivers. Sure there is some drama about whether Irvin can make a switch to Clemons spot and be effective, but I am not really scared or worried or anything about this team. The Seahawks will be prepared when they show up in Atlanta. I think it will be a good match up.

In fact, I think the Seahawks Offense versus Atlanta's defense is where the advantage shifts statistically. The Seahawks are a better passing team then they might appear on paper, and keying the run isn't going to kill the Hawks even if Atlanta does shut our run game down.

If anything, I just don't think the Hawks are yet hitting on all cylinders. As good as they are, they have yet to reach their potential. My feelings about the Seahawks is that they could lose this game, and realize how good of a team they really are next year. Or its going to happen this game. I don't mean a close game in the Seahawks favor. I mean a very solid win that shows how dominate they really are. I don't think they have yet shown how dominate the talent on this team is ... I think its close and they definitely understand they can beat anyone, but I am telling you, there is a next level just about ready to happen.

My question about Atlanta is whether there is a feeling about the Falcons still having another level of top performance in them? Because they may need it to even think about winning this game.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
seahawks875":huxi7elj said:
Why do you guys always find something every week to be worried about and say we are going to lose, I mean come on. Last week a bunch of people said the game was over after the first quarter, I think those are the worst type of fans

Yes I'm a terrible fan... especially when I stay up all night watching the games and go to work on zero hours sleep. And spend way too much money flying over for games whenever I can.

This is an internet chat forum for, you know, discussing things. I'd find the argument above a little more valid if I stood up mid-game at the CLINK, mounted a soap box and started lecturing those nearby on why we were going to lose.

madbohem":huxi7elj said:
Yada Yada Yada Yawn statistics bleh.

I don't recall using any statistics in my OP.