Why I think we will lose this game

kmedic

Reaction score
This season Atlanta has gone away from feeding Turner, who is getting old and slow, and has leaned towards their screen game much more. There's a nice article on SI about this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... uk_t12_a12

It appears that they are not intending to necessarily offset the blitz but rather to get small chunks of yardage outside the hashes to create 3rd and short opportunities. Apparently, it has been a big success for them this season. WR screens are usually predicated on blocking out the CB's. We have big, physical CB's that generally snuff out WR screens pretty well, particularly BB. Our LB's, such as KJ and Leroy have also done an excellent job sniffing out the classic RB screens as well. I like the matchup.

As far as getting pressure on the QB, I agree losing Clem is a big deal, so I would hope that Bradley would call more LB, nickel corner, and safety blitzes than usual. The good thing is there is not a lot of film of us blitzing like that during the season, so it could actually be an advantage for us by catching Ryan off guard.

Losing Clem would have been a whole lot worse if we were facing San Fran. Irvin is a significant drop off against the run. In fact, he'd probably not even start against them if that was the case. You'd probably see Scruggs in there.

All in all, you have to like the matchup on paper versus the Falcons. The only X-factor is Tony Gonzalez, particularly on third down. You just know they are going to try to hit him on third down conversions and try to exploit Kam or KJ's coverage on him. Probably the best bet is to try and knock him off his routes at the LOS. Getting a few "illegal contact" penalties might be worth it if we can neutralize him.

The biggest X-factor to this game IMO is the psyche of Atlanta. Are they ready to take that next step? They've been gearing up for this moment all season long to get that monkey off their back. This can work both ways mentally. I just hope that they falter one more time (they can get the monkey off their back next year)!

camdawg

Reaction score
English,

You could be right, certainly we could lose this game.

This might be the first opponent since Green Bay in week 3 that will treat their running game as an afterthought, which means we can get far more creative on defense than we usually do. If Atlanta wants to throw the ball 75 to 80 percent of the time, we don't have to be as disciplined, and we can go after Matt Ryan far more than we usually do against other quarterbacks. And maybe pound him like we did to Aaron Rodgers in the first half of the Packers game.

The Packers game changed when they realized they had to keep our defense honest with their run game. And they did. When we played New England, they forced us to respect Ridley and Woodhead, so we had to play a more standard defense. Will Atlanta run Turner and Rodgers enough to stop us from getting really creative on defense, which could help us get a lot of pressure on Ryan?

pehawk

Reaction score
I have to think, if pressuring the QB was a priority for Pete and Gus, they'd blitz more. We wonder why they don't blitz? Its fairly obvious why, in their scheme and philosiphy, pressuring the QB isn't paramount.

That's the only way to rationalize how they succed w/o consistent pressure AND rarely blitz. Its very odd and unique to them, but, that's what it is.

I know that's simplistic in a forum/thread featuring complexities. But, this is a lot easier to understand than "why don't they blitz?" and "how are they #1 w/o pressure?". IMO, we're missing a big part of their gameplan, and it shows why none of us are on a NFL staff.

madbohem

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1wm4s7jk said:
seahawks875":1wm4s7jk said:
madbohem":1wm4s7jk said:
Yada Yada Yada Yawn statistics bleh.

I don't recall using any statistics in my OP.

Sorry I wasn't picking on you for statistics or a lack of them, rather making a point to not really need them to feel secure about the Hawks. I elude to them of course, because there is something to looking at the match ups, but those have been played out in other threads. I understand stats when there is some kind of X's and O's stand point, but my feeling about this team doesn't really need me to do that to feel like I am a fan of the best team in football, this year and every year down the foreseeable future. I know they are going to be dang competitive at a level other teams have built dynasties upon. Looking back, we might miss gaining it all, but I bet others will look back at a certain stretch and say those guys were the best even across a year or two when no Trophy was handed out to this team.

I just wanted to share my take on this team with you. This team is prepared and its exciting to see that kind of business like approach to such highly talented athletes without a stitch of worry about this young team being full of itself.

I do get that this team could lose this game. But there is more then just cocky swagger to this team, just as much as there is more to this team then the RAH RAH nature of Pete Carroll. Pete just don't play with those who don't commit. There is a no nonsense approach to this game from the preparation standpoint no matter how much these guys know how to go out and have fun.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3akblpcj said:
For what it's worth, I would say Denver's defense is as good as ours, if not better. And not many teams have beaten Denver this year.

Really? Give them our pass rush, and I don't think they even crack the top 10 as a defensive unit. Not to disparage them unnecessarily or be a dick, but their pass rush being good helps a lot.

zhawk

Reaction score
i'm just not goin to listen to that noise. seahawks win. :179422:

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":12ymqoxc said:
I have to think, if pressuring the QB was a priority for Pete and Gus, they'd blitz more. We wonder why they don't blitz? Its fairly obvious why, in their scheme and philosiphy, pressuring the QB isn't paramount.

That's the only way to rationalize how they succed w/o consistent pressure AND rarely blitz. Its very odd and unique to them, but, that's what it is.

I know that's simplistic in a forum/thread featuring complexities. But, this is a lot easier to understand than "why don't they blitz?" and "how are they #1 w/o pressure?". IMO, we're missing a big part of their gameplan, and it shows why none of us are on a NFL staff.

I disagree here. Blitzing goes fundamentally against this Kiffin-esque 4-3 under scheme. That is why they don't do it and why they try to rush with four. But just because this has been a failure this year, doesn't mean it's not paramount.

I think they believed they could play stout on early downs, rely on Clemons and make hay on third downs. That's why we saw Jason Jones and Bruce Irvin in nickel packages and obvious passing downs. What has actually happened is across the board we haven't really ever got consistent pressure - even when Jones/Irvin played. I think they'll learn from this and target a greater interior rush in base going forward, perhaps by investing in (via FA or the draft) a more natural three-technique. A real pass rushing DT to add to the rotation. They might've hoped to get that with Jaye Howard but it hasn't worked out.

But I think the blitz goes against what they want to do. They want to create pressure with four and that's generally what the good defenses do. Unfortunately it hasn't worked out this year, but they've still been able to win games. What I've tried to argue in this thread is simply that I think this could prove to be a deciding issue on Sunday. Although obviously I f-in hope not.

RolandDeschain":12ymqoxc said:
Really? Give them our pass rush, and I don't think they even crack the top 10 as a defensive unit. Not to disparage them unnecessarily or be a dick, but their pass rush being good helps a lot.

But that's like saying take Tom Brady out of New England and the Pats passing game sucks. The reason I like Denver's defense is because of the pass rush.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2pad9cwo said:
But that's like saying take Tom Brady out of New England and the Pats passing game sucks. The reason I like Denver's defense is because of the pass rush.

We have a QB where if he knows he's going to get pressured a lot, he can perform very well under those circumstances. Assuming Bevell actually calls plays like designed roll-outs, short routes, read options, etc. We can mostly neutralize the Denver pass rush if we are smart about it. Big shots down the field are nice, but you certainly don't need them to move the chains regularly. (Look at what Brady did to us most of that game with the short passing, and 2nd half of the Packers game to a lesser extent.)

As much as this may sound like blasphemy, I think I'd rather face Denver than New England. Belichick is one smart mofo, he will have something special cooked up for us if we meet him in the Super Bowl.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fair nuff, Brit.

I still don't know if it equals a "W", but my prediction is the pressure is greater in this game than any other. And that's simply because of Bruce having no responsibilities other than pressure. And, Scruggs size wreaking havoc a play or two.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
It's going to be another great game, once again it can go either way.

Some good tidbits from an SBN article:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/...anta-falcons-betting-odds-preview-pick-trends

"Seattle has outscored its opponents 217-74 over the last six games, allowing 17 points or less in each of those games..."

"Seattle's defense has been strong all season, allowing just 15.3 points per game"

"All in all, this is a terrible matchup for Atlanta. Not only is Seattle red-hot, but Atlanta's weak rushing defense (allowing 123.9 rushing yards per game) plays right into Seattle's strength with Marshawn Lynch in the backfield.

Seattle's defense makes the Seahawks a legitimate Super Bowl contender, and puts Atlanta in serious danger of suffering the same fate it has over the last two seasons."

Greenhell

Reaction score
pehawk":m6bq61ar said:
The best way to compensate for the lack of pressure is Marshaun Lynch. Keep Matty Ice off the field. Bully and wear down the Falcons defense. See how/if Ryan and Smith get antsy with lopsided TOP (they will).

The Hawks can control and dominate this game, defensively and offensively, through their OL.

The Hawks lack of pressure is kind of by design. Keep everything in front and make a team earn HARD yards and sustain punishment for there drives. Its worked all year, no reason to think it won't this time.

^ this :th2thumbs:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I love how trendy it is for hawk fans to pick against their own team.

It's crazy how we are the ONLY team left with holes/weaknesses...how did we make it this far?!

kearly

Reaction score
As Scott points out, Pete has to be aware of the pass rush matchup problem. I also think it's hardly a coincidence that Seattle started blitzing very heavily after Clemons left the game last week.

Seattle is going to finish with 400+ yards and probably 30+ points on offense. Even if Ryan carves us up, we have a 50/50 chance to win anyway. If he doesn't carve us up, it could be a blowout win for Seattle. Atlanta's defense ain't stopping our offense. Our offense has been playing on a New England level since mid-season. Would you expect the Falcons to shut down New England?

docj78

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":93ys4hm6 said:
I love how trendy it is for hawk fans to pick against their own team.

It's crazy how we are the ONLY team left with holes/weaknesses...how did we make it this far?!

I swear to God we are the most fairweather fanbase in the league! I hope my wife doesn't see that I wrote that. She accuses me(and US) of that every season............ LOL! :thirishdrinkers:

docj78

Reaction score
We just need to hammer the ball on the ground, and Russ needs to throw a big pass here and there. Keep control of the ball. If Matt Ryan doesn't touch the ball, he doesn't get chances to score. It's as simple as that! The battle over time of possession is gonna determine this thing.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
I have this same feeling almost, i do not think we will lose, But i dont feel as good about our chances as i have the past few weeks.
Falcons have been backed into a corner. Their early exits, being talked about like people dont think they are as good as their record says.
They've been backed into a corner, they could come out playing on a different level while the Seahawks could have a solid game and still lose if the Falcons just have "one of THOSE" games where it seems like everything just goes right for them

And seeing all the stuff about the game this week, its just starting to feel that way, like the Seahawks might be a great and the hottest team, But the Falcons have something to prove and the Seahawks might be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I really...really hope not. But not a good feeling about it. I honestly think the seahawks are better right now. Just a feeling. Cant be described.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It's certainly possible that pass rush could hurt us and we could lose. It's also possible it won't. I think the only real issue I have with Rob's post is that his headline says he thinks the Hawks "will" lose--not "could" lose.

Twisted

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":399lfj39 said:
Twisted":399lfj39 said:
against what teams? the Packers? the Patriots? the Bears? the Niners?

let me ask you this, have the Falcons even seen an Elite Defense this year?

Hawks have, they beat em all once..

I,m looking through the ATL schedule and I cant find the elite defenses? fact of the matter is have the Falcons even played an elite team all year long? maybe, if you considered the Skins were Elite entering week 5 @ 2-2... :?

maybe the Giants or the Saints were the Elite Ds they hammered on week in and week out? lol

14djz2s

Firstly, I'm talking about a very specific issue within our defense that I feel will be a problem against the Falcons offense. Saying "Errr... Elite defense" is not a counter to this specific problem. It doesn't address that our strength (DB's) might be neutralised by the time Matt Ryan has in the pocket. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, Ryan is much more clinical and prolific at taking advantage of a non-existent pass rush than the likes of Sam Bradford, Ryan Fitzgerald, John Skelton, Ryan Tannehill, Mark Sanchez and a lot of the other QB's we've faced recently.

For what it's worth, I would say Denver's defense is as good as ours, if not better. And not many teams have beaten Denver this year.

meh, I have to say it again look at the Bronco's schedule, then compare it to Seattle's, even then, the Falcs played the Bronco's when? week 2.... Bronco's went on to complete a 3-3 record before their bye.. Bronco's Elite? OK

Bronco's played 2 teams in the second half that finished over .500 (cinci, ravens) and played only 3 teams the first half that finished over .500 and they lost to all 3 of them... lol (texans, falcs, pats) Broncos Elite? OK

Broncos obviously are better than they were in the first half but....

now look at the Falcons final half season schedule? they didn't play a single team that finished over .500 and during that time the Seahawks opened the book and went on a Rampage while the Falcons lost to the saints, panthers and bucs?

c'mon man (<<<<----chris burman style)

Twisted

Reaction score
fact of the matter is the Falcons haven't played a team that finished over .500 since week 5 (skins)

C'MON MAN!

Twisted

Reaction score
and the Falcons lost to 3 bad teams in the second half while the Seahawks went on a 5 game heater beating the Bears, Rams and Niners while losing only one game on the second half!

C'MON MAN!

Latest posts