Smart, Pete. Smart.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It seems the team is staying well clear of the dangerous allure of downtown Atlanta. Check out the Tweet from Doug Baldwin:

Dbfresh ‏@DougBaldwinJr

Ill have to take a pic in the AM. But we out in the woods. Jason Vorhees bout to come get me tho. Lol

Where the hell are we staying. Shit look like a chainsaw massacre movie out here!

:D

muxpux

Reaction score
theres a thread about this, i swear i seen a pic of the view. its in the sticks.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
The Chicago Bulls were notoriously good at doing "the little things" that led to big wins. When they came to Utah to play the Jazz in the finals, the thinking was that they'd lose due to altitude (and it IS an advantage in a long series, even among supreme athletes). So Phil Jackson takes the team to a resort in Park City which is probably another 1,000 feet HIGHER in elevation. Plus it's 30 minutes out of downtown (not that SLC downtown is much, but still... it's a major city and has major city stuff happening nonetheless).

But the real key factor is that they went to 5,200 feet (or more) rather than the 4200 feet that is SLC and came in a day early and did workouts and such in Park City at this resort. Brilliant. They get down to SLC for the game and the elevation doesn't seem to bug them, because they are relieved to have just gotten a bit more oxygen. It was really smart then, and I think more coaches should think this way, but supposedly a "player's coach" never would think of this stuff. Whatever. Pete's a smart guy. Very smart. Atlanta is a trouble spot. That's a well known issue. But... you do the smart thing. You go somewhere like Phil Jackson took his Bulls, and you take care of business. If you lose... you lose. But it will not be because you screwed up on details that seem small, but can turn out to be massive.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
SharkHawk":35np29gd said:
But the real key factor is that they went to 5,200 feet (or more) rather than the 4200 feet that is SLC and came in a day early and did workouts and such in Park City at this resort. Brilliant. They get down to SLC for the game and the elevation doesn't seem to bug them, because they are relieved to have just gotten a bit more oxygen. It was really smart then, and I think more coaches should think this way...
From what I have read online, it takes the red blood cells of a long distance runner a year on average to completely acclimate from sea level to Denver's elevation (~5000) feet. Physiologically, much has to happen for that degree of acclimatization.

Therefore, I'm not buying your story.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
What did I say happened? I said that the players felt "relieved". Does that mean anything changed much? Not really. But I live here. I can tell the difference. I go drive up to 10,000 feet all the time, and I feel a slight difference as I come down. Everything is a bit different. As I've said before... psychosomatic or organic... doesn't matter to me. The results speak for themselves.

No other team had come into Utah and won multiple games. So the "small detail" worked. The oxygen is most definitely thinner in Park City. I've played baseball up there. The ball flies quite a bit further due to the thin oxygen. Does it take the ball a year to "acclimatize"? No. I drive back down to Provo and hit and the ball goes about 10 feet shorter. Is it in my head, or is it the oxygen? Doesn't matter. The results are there time after time. Teams hate playing at elevation. Phil Jackson operates on the mental aspect, that is why they call him the "Zen Master". The "Zen Master" brought his team to a HIGHER elevation because his team was concerned about 4200 feet. He says "fine, then we'll go to 5200 feet!" And they win. So.... did he really not do anything to change the situation? I sure think he did. So yeah... I'm not buying YOUR story. No other team that comes to town has ever stayed in Park City. Why did the Bulls? Buy what you want. I'll buy what I know from firsthand accounts. My closest family member is a sports writer and attends these things and talks to everybody. I'll take his word of what took place in those finals over anybody's. Have a good day!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
mikeak":37jgc5fh said:
Heard in the news they were landing at midnight. So sleep in Saturday :)

This is the only thing that's been bothering me. Land at midnight, takes about 'til two to get everything situated and fall asleep, at the very earliest. Suddenly their clocks are off a whole lot later than they need them to be. They need to be up at about six or seven local time tomorrow to take care of business.

Love the location; hate the time of travel. They should have gone early this morning or tomorrow morning, like around 4:00 our time.

rideaducati

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3igcqtrl said:
SharkHawk":3igcqtrl said:
But the real key factor is that they went to 5,200 feet (or more) rather than the 4200 feet that is SLC and came in a day early and did workouts and such in Park City at this resort. Brilliant. They get down to SLC for the game and the elevation doesn't seem to bug them, because they are relieved to have just gotten a bit more oxygen. It was really smart then, and I think more coaches should think this way...
From what I have read online, it takes the red blood cells of a long distance runner a year on average to completely acclimate from sea level to Denver's elevation (~5000) feet. Physiologically, much has to happen for that degree of acclimatization.

If you read it online, it must be true.

Having grown up in Albuquerque NM at an elevation of over 5000 feet and then moving to SoCal, When I moved back, I found that it took ten days to two weeks to become re-acclimated to the altitude.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Hmm, rural north Georgia....hope none of them stumble upon this guy...

deliverance-guy.jpg

SharkHawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":33vxtduv said:
onanygivensunday":33vxtduv said:
SharkHawk":33vxtduv said:

If you read it online, it must be true.

Having grown up in Albuquerque NM at an elevation of over 5000 feet and then moving to SoCal, When I moved back, I found that it took ten days to two weeks to become re-acclimated to the altitude.

And a supreme athlete can adjust much more quickly... thus Phil coming in 2 days early rather than waiting and coming in on the night before the first game or even on gameday as some teams do.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
In case anyone missed it, this thread is about our players avoiding the amazing strip clubs in ATL.

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
I recommend Mardi Gras and the Pink Pony if you're not playing on Sunday.

chris98251

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1dflr0rh said:
SharkHawk":1dflr0rh said:

Doesn't matter, Jackson mind screwed the team, they did have a bit more oxygen after they came back down but their bodies were still not acclimented. In the players mind though they felt better . Kind of like those Beers at the Clink, same volume different glass, they said one was 16 and one was 20 oz's and you beleived it till you did the pour test. It was the circular diameter of each glass that made the size difference.