Legion of Boom... Unit that goes down in NFL history?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I was just thinking how cool it would be to have one of those "unquestioned elite" units on your defense.... IE the purple people eaters, fearsome foursome, ect.... (I don't think there are any secondaries either... Maybe I'm wrong?)

A few things that jump out at me from reading the purple people eaters wiki page is that they all have pro bowls on their resumes. Barring an upset, all of our players in our secondary should have at least 1 pro bowl. And, even though Sherman doesn't have a pro bowl, he has a 1st team all-pro on his resume now, which is much cooler than the pro bowl. Same with Earl, they are on their way to great careers.

Second, they all made the pro bowl in the same year at least once, and the majority of them three times. So far the majority of our secondary has made the pro bowl once, and they are all very young (except Browner).

Third, they have at least one HOF'er. Now, I know this is really jumping the gun, but I believe that Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas are HOF'ers, with Kam having an outside shot. These guys are straight up spectacular.

Now this whole topic is probably a little premature, but I think this unit really has the potential to go down in history as the BEST secondary in NFL history, complete with a nickname to go with it :)
    Last edited by hawksfan515 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I like you thinking. I think would love that if it did happen. I always think of the steel curtain.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

• Delete
    Last edited by -The Glove- on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• 425HawkSpark wrote: I like you thinking.

Never been told that before. You sure?
    your Superbowl XLVIII Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:Second, they all made the pro bowl in the same year at least once, and the majority of them three times. So far the majority of our secondary has made the pro bowl once, and they are all very young (except Browner).

I enjoy and appreciate the spirit of this post, but...

All made the pro bowl in the same year at least once? No. Sherman didn't make it last year. Didn't make it this year either.

Majority of them three times? Huh? Thomas is the only one to start 3 seasons. Kam = 2. Browner = 2. Sherman = 1.75ish.

Loose facts aside, I like the idea of the Legion of Boom up there with Purple People Eaters, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush, etc.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• HawkAroundTheClock wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:Second, they all made the pro bowl in the same year at least once, and the majority of them three times. So far the majority of our secondary has made the pro bowl once, and they are all very young (except Browner).

All made the pro bowl in the same year at least once? No. Sherman didn't make it last year. Didn't make it this year either.

Majority of them three times? Huh? Thomas is the only one to start 3 seasons. Kam = 2. Browner = 2. Sherman = 1.75ish.

Loose facts aside, I like the idea of the Legion of Boom up there with Purple People Eaters, Steel Curtain, Orange Crush, etc.

Pretty sure he's referring to the purple people eaters with those numbers.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

hawksfan515 wrote:Second, they all made the pro bowl in the same year at least once, and the majority of them three times. So far the majority of our secondary has made the pro bowl once, and they are all very young (except Browner).

LOL I was talking about the purple people eaters man :) And not to pile on, but Thomas has started 2 seasons, Kam and Browner have never made it in as starters too. They were alternates. Just like Sherman this year.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    HawkAroundTheClock wrote:

Pretty sure he's referring to the purple people eaters with those numbers.

Thanks. I re-read the OP twice and still didn't get that. 3rd time's the charm. ;) :th2thumbs: Gotcha, 515. I like how you think!

Crap, I picked the wrong year to quit sniffing glue. Who was starting FS during Earl's rookie year?
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• HawkAroundTheClock wrote:Thanks. I re-read the OP twice and still didn't get that. 3rd time's the charm. ;) :th2thumbs: Gotcha, 515. I like how you think!

Crap, I picked the wrong year to quit sniffing glue. Who was starting FS during Earl's rookie year?

He was.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

• Veilside wrote:
    HawkAroundTheClock wrote:Thanks. I re-read the OP twice and still didn't get that. 3rd time's the charm. ;) :th2thumbs: Gotcha, 515. I like how you think!

He was.

Well that's what I originally thought (and posted). But then 515 told me he's only started 2 seasons. :229031_shrug: Wait, wait, wait... started in the pro bowl, I think he meant. Sheesh. I'm going away now. LOL. :)
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

Veilside wrote:
    HawkAroundTheClock wrote:Thanks. I re-read the OP twice and still didn't get that. 3rd time's the charm. ;) :th2thumbs: Gotcha, 515. I like how you think!

He was.

Well that's what I originally thought (and posted). But then 515 told me he's only started 2 seasons. :229031_shrug: Wait, wait, wait... started in the pro bowl, I think he meant. Sheesh. I'm going away now. LOL. :)

Yeah I meant starting in the pro bowl.... LOL this thread is confusing
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Heehee... sorry, man. LOL. This will be a fun topic to bring up after they're all starting in the pro bowl next year! ;)
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• I like the OP, after that I want my time back. :p
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• Your Defense is good but don't get cocky. Sherman asked for something after the Redskins game and didn't like the return. In fact, he had a nervous giggle that showed fear. This Defense has no idea what awaits them in Atlanta. It will be the Legion of Bust come Sunday. I'll come back afterward whatever the outcome but Julio, Roddy, Gonzo and Douglas are going to light up your slow secondary. They won't be bullied like the Redskins tiny receivers. :)
    Falcon124
    NET Bench Warmer

• Falcon124 wrote:Your Defense is good but don't get cocky. Sherman asked for something after the Redskins game and didn't like the return. In fact, he had a nervous giggle that showed fear. This Defense has no idea what awaits them in Atlanta. It will be the Legion of Bust come Sunday. I'll come back afterward whatever the outcome but Julio, Roddy, Gonzo and Douglas are going to light up your slow secondary. They won't be bullied like the Redskins tiny receivers. :)

if you watch the audio recording of that encounter, you would realize how naive your post is. Sherman didnt do anything to provoke him. Before he came up, sherman was being a great sport and talking with the other team, then he comes up into shermans face. Sherman knew he wasnt there to shake hands, so he stood up to him. Got punched, and instead of retaliating, laughed it off.

Quit reaching so hard to make him out to be a bad guy just because he talks smack on the field. Which almost all good defensive players do. See Ray Lewis.
    hawksincebirth wrote:So Russell has leverage but marshawn doesn't ? I thought its next man up. Hey we got t jack and bj Daniels right ??
    Cartire
    NET Veteran

• Falcon124 wrote:Your Defense is good but don't get cocky. Sherman asked for something after the Redskins game and didn't like the return. In fact, he had a nervous giggle that showed fear. This Defense has no idea what awaits them in Atlanta. It will be the Legion of Bust come Sunday. I'll come back afterward whatever the outcome but Julio, Roddy, Gonzo and Douglas are going to light up your slow secondary. They won't be bullied like the Redskins tiny receivers. :)

? The Legion of Boom is better than you think, clearly. You think they're all "overrated", and that they bully smaller receivers. Well, you know what the excuse from Redskin fans was? That their "small receivers" would beat us deep, and they didn't. Now your excuse is that we "can't bully them" because the Falcons receivers are too big. Screw you, the Legion of Boom bullies EVERYONE. Enough said.
    Last edited by hawksfan515 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I'm not sure why anyone would use the Pro Bowl as a measure of success. It's a joke and should be tossed.

All Pro means infinitely more.

Case in point: All Pro Richard Sherman is not an NFC Pro Bowler. Case rested.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Falcon124 wrote:In fact, he had a nervous giggle that showed fear.

BWAAAAHHHAAAAHAAAHAAA! Those.... straws..... just.... out.... of reach....
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• Slow Secondary?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• I can’t recall there EVER being a defense with a “Name” secondary…

Most the famous named defenses featured the defensive line “The Fearsome Foursome”, “The Purple People Eaters”, “The Steel Curtain”. Even Miami’s ’73, Nick Buoniconti led, “No Name” defense (which featured two all-pro safeties) was more about the D-line and linebackers, same with the later “Killer Bs”.

Buddy Ryan’s “46” “Eagle” defensive was more remembered for their Line and Linebackers the same with the 2000 Raven’s.

Even the great defensives where Deion Sanders roamed the secondary never seemed to have a catchy “Name”, that I recall.

Perhaps it just took years of QBs putting up record numbers for a secondary to catch on enough to warrant a “Name” for themselves...
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

You have a couple good points, but this secondary has shut down far better receivers than the Redskins' midgets. I acknowledge that Atlanta's foremost trio of receivers will be the year's greatest test of this secondary and I do expect to give up some yards.

But Seattle's scheme doesn't require their corners to be fast. They play excellent press, which helps neutralize speed, and leverages receivers in towards safety help from Earl Thomas. And Earl Thomas IS fast. Crazy fast. He frees up our corners so much it's not even funny. Without him, I have no hesitation in saying that our corners would be nothing.

Our linebackers, on the other hand, won't be pushed much. Beyond Roddy/Jones/Gonzo, I'm not much scared of anyone else you have to offer. Our LB's should be up to Jacquizz's challenge and free to do other things, like blitz Matt Ryan (we have some talented LB blitzers who haven't been given the chance to show their chops).

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you speak of Sherman's nervous giggle.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Fun thread. I liked it.

And Falcon124, bahahahahaha, good luck with that prediction.
    "I want to drink Ranier Beer out of a mug made from Jim harbaugh's hollowed out skull." CANHAWK
    sam1313
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Pot meet kettle, isn't this the team that had Jerry Glanville as a coach and Deion Sanders?

I suppose they were slow and didn't play physical either, well other then Deion who would balk at the toothpick lifting contest but could shut down a side of a field in coverage and dare you to throw at him. Jeez he would even smack talk and go on record in the media about stuff.

Not that that sounds familiar or anything.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Redskins receivers are NOT tiny, outside of Moss. They are all an inch or 2 shorter than Julio, but as far as actual size goes, Morgan weighs the same as Jones, and Hankerson and Garcon are only 8 or 9 pounds lighter. They are probably one of the bigger receiving groups in the league, and physically, the Seahawks embarrassed them all game.
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information