I can't watch football anymore. I love the Seahawks. But....

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I think seriously I have to be done. I did something I am so horribly ashamed of after the game and I don't know that I can in good conscience watch another game EVER. I feel awful. Just awful.

I snapped at my kids and then threw the remote and it shattered against the wall and scared my kids. They both started crying. It's time for me to walk away. Everybody is really upset here. I think this is corny, but I also think it has to be my farewell. Sorry for putting it in the main forum, but it is most definitely Seahawks related, and I am sure many other fans are having a hard time coming to terms.

Let what I did be a lesson. I'm lucky no pieces hit my children. But I can't put them through that anymore. I love them with all my heart. More than the Seahawks. I've given the Seahawks 36 years of my life to get it done. They've come close. But I can't leave my family without a father due to a heart attack, and I can't ever EVER harm my children by my words or actions. They deserve a better father, and unfortunately the Seahawks don't bring that out of me. Please don't label me a quitter or a whiner or a baby. Understand that my life has been destroyed in the last two years financially, career-wise, emotionally, and physically. This is the proverbial straw I guess. I just can't do this anymore.

Please.... don't let this game get you like it did me. It was too much, so I step away and hope for a better future for the Hawks for all of YOUR sake. You guys deserve it. You put your butts in the seats and scream until your hoarse for this team. You 12's make me proud. I really have made some incredible friendships here, and hope to continue those, but after what I did today, I can NOT be involved in sports-fandom ever again. Now it's time to pick up the pieces so to speak and try to fix what I've done to my kids in scaring them senseless. No kid should ever have to be afraid of a game result because of how their Dad might handle it. My kids are awesome and they deserve better than the piece of crap I was today. Guilt overwhelms me. I am afraid for myself right now. I am sad for my kids. But I respect all of you and how you keep it together and find a balance where I never could.

Rock on 12's.

Jon Mohlman (the man behind the shark mask)
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Superbowl Sunday is the #1 day in America for domestic abuse. People all across America fly off the handle. Made you need to take a step back, but walk away all together is going to be impossible. Thank goodness forgiveness, including forgiving yourself is one of the greatest things we humans are capable. Your kids won't forget what happened, but you can use it as a learning point for them. I guarantee your body of work as a father far outshadows what happened. Keep your chin up buddy.

p.s. just get one of those Nintendo Wii wrist strap and problem solved (just trying to lighten up :)
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• don't give up we are almost there...
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie

• Shark, give your kids a hug, tell them you're sorry and that you love them. Take some time away from following them. You're a true fan, though, so don't be surprised if you find yourself checking this place out once in a while come draft time. :)
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Shark don't beat yourself up too much...It's a normal reaction for most fans who are so emotionally invested in a team like we are. Yeah, it's not Father of the Year material, but it never is when your team is playing in such a huge national game with so much on the line.

No excuse, but I've been there, most of us have been there. Just hug your kids and tell them that Daddy can be a bit crazy when it comes to his football team. My daughter already knows to leave the room when I'm watching the Seahawks, or the wife takes her away from the house altogether. Not something I'm proud of but it is what it is.

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• get some anger management counseling, and I dont mean this as a shot. It will help you find ways to deal with getting that pissed off, and of course remember it's just a game.

Would hate to lose a fellow seahawk fan, but if you do not comeback, good luck in life and take care.

Just take a nice long break from it though, thats for sure.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• I understand but I'm not going anywhere. We are so close that u might not be gone for long. I see a lot of winning in this team.
    garydrake425
    NET Veteran

• No, walking away isn't impossible. I've walked away from several "addictions" to keep my family intact. It's hanging by a thread as it is. This is the last one I had to kick. I used to play softball for about 5 teams. Let it ruin a lot of important stuff. I walked away from my one true calling in life... an elementary school teaching job that I'd had for 10 years, because it was threatening my family. Baseball and basketball consumed me. Now I don't watch either. Football was the last on my list. The one I thought I could hold onto and still have balance in my life. Unfortunately, my actions today and my REACTIONS (such as my BP hitting 185/120) show that I can't take it in "moderation". I am a football addict like some are crack addicts. It hurts my family. I have to quit. Just like I did with my ridiculous softball habit and every other stupid thing I've done. Football has to go. My kids are small and need me here longer than that and they should NEVER have to see such a thing from me. Not ever. I've humiliated my family enough through my actions. I owe them this.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• As the song goes Shark..... See youuuuu, in Septemberrrrr.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• I feel what you are saying I too get to emotionally invested in this as well the screaming the anger and disappointment I have made great strides in the past 3 years and I'm now watching the games alone for the same reasons you shared . It's been since 1983 for me that's a long time with the same empty feeling year after year but you have to set yourself up for success when watching these games maybe you should separate yourself from hawks and family it works for me .
    Keep your chin up
    Your not alone.
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

• SharkHawk wrote:No, walking away isn't impossible. I've walked away from several "addictions" to keep my family intact. It's hanging by a thread as it is. This is the last one I had to kick. I used to play softball for about 5 teams. Let it ruin a lot of important stuff. I walked away from my one true calling in life... an elementary school teaching job that I'd had for 10 years, because it was threatening my family. Baseball and basketball consumed me. Now I don't watch either. Football was the last on my list. The one I thought I could hold onto and still have balance in my life. Unfortunately, my actions today and my REACTIONS (such as my BP hitting 185/120) show that I can't take it in "moderation". I am a football addict like some are crack addicts. It hurts my family. I have to quit. Just like I did with my ridiculous softball habit and every other stupid thing I've done. Football has to go. My kids are small and need me here longer than that and they should NEVER have to see such a thing from me. Not ever. I've humiliated my family enough through my actions. I owe them this.

Shark you got my PM's, deep breath, look after your family and learn to not give up but change how you approach it. Your .net family is with you
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Location: Victoria BC or my Galactic Stonghold on Nar Shaddaa

• At this rate I'll be dead in about 30 minutes. Stupid blood pressure won't go down. Well, it was a fun ride. 35+ years invested and all I get is a wife who hates me and kids who are scared of me and a bunch of stupid navy and royal blue clothing. Not worth it.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Hell, I did a similar thing when we lost to the Ray-duhs I think it was in the mid 80s. Except it was a beer bottle in my garage, and I was cleaning up glass for a VERY long time! Pretending to your kids that you never have strong emotions, and that they can never get the best of you, is false. Just keep this in mind next time, you'll be fine and the kids will be laughing about this memory when they grow up. Just like mine do.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• shiva1008 wrote:
    falcongoggles wrote:Superbowl Sunday is the #1 day in America for domestic abuse. People all across America fly off the handle.

This is an urban legend.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/sports ... r_bowl.htm

thanks McGruff
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• I just always take time to remind myself that it's for fun.

When I feel the anger coming on, I turn it off the TV. I take time, and then maybe turn it back on.

My one real 'tantrum' during the year was Miami. I yelled, shocked my kid, but then I calmed down apologized and it was fine.

You can still be a fan, but you can't give the game the power to control your emotions. You have the power, it's called the remote. Use it, don't throw it.

Of course, if that' doesn't work then walk away. Remember, we're getting emotionally invested in watching OTHER people play a GAME over which we have NO CONTROL.
    * NET Staff *

• Good luck Shark I respect whatever you do, but one thing I've done is to keep things I can throw away from me and just have pillows around in case I want to punch something. Sorry your BP is up though you may need to work on your health to be able to cope with stress better be careful even if you stop being a " fan " your life is way more important than any game.
    SuperFreak
    NET Starter

• Cmon man, at the end of the day, its still just a game. You should be proud of this young team's resilience, not pissed and flying off the handle. It isn't the Seahawks' fault-this is all on you. Hope you can get yourself in order so you can come back and represent the 12th man once again.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Dude, after the Redskins lost last week it took me the whole week to break out of the funk from losing that game. I have felt low on energy and lethargic since. Its deflating and I think some kind of grieving process is only natural for a fan.

I don't know your situation - but if alcohol is consumed while watching the games it makes things much worse for me personally. I couldn't even go into work last Monday as I was hungover and down. The rest of the work I made it in - but its taken until today where I can finally honestly say "enough is enough".

Myself personally, am considering going back to doing yoga to achieve more of that feeling of "balance" during stressful times. While I didn't throw a remote last week, I think being at a sports bar probably saved me from doing something of that nature.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• wow Shark...take your time, and godspeed to you. Make the best decision for you and your family, and good luck.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• Dude, I'm upset too because of how we lost, but even if they won I still have to do laundry tonight and get up to go to work in the morning. Guess what I have to do if they would have won the super bowl? Laundry and work. It's entertainment, they don't impact the real life me in any way. And they sure as hell don't care if you have a bad day the way that you care when they do.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• Get a DVR. I have to watch most regular season games through the NFL gamepass internet feed, so I often start watching 40 minutes late so I can watch without TV ads. It also means that I can take a break for a few minutes.

I knew 31 seconds was too long. I watched the 2 completed passes. I then paused and put the kettle on, had a piss and mentally prepared for the loss. It's the difference between being punched in the stomach when you have tensed for it or when you are not expecting it.

I watch all soccer matches of the Scottish national team this way. You can't get too excited about it, because it has already happened.

Keep the faith. Plus, it's a game.
    Machine-wrapped, with butter?

Yes, machine-wrapped, WITH BUTTER
    cdallan
    NET Veteran

• do like me and take your kid out to act like an animal towards OTHERS
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• I did all those things talked about here and worse. But that was when I was in my early 20s or younger.

Know what???? I grew up. Realized sports are not the driving thing in this world, its merely a game.

I am no longer an NFL fan but just a Seahawks fan. I enjoy hockey but would never let it affect my life and my kids life.

I've seen more sports and especially football than most of you. Saw UCLA win 50 in a row and crap like that. Then realized I had more important stuff to do, like live.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• AbsolutNET wrote:Dude, I'm upset too because of how we lost, but even if they won I still have to do laundry tonight and get up to go to work in the morning. Guess what I have to do if they would have won the super bowl? Laundry and work. It's entertainment, they don't impact the real life me in any way. And they sure as hell don't care if you have a bad day the way that you care when they do.

:13:
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Shark as humiliating as it feels to show that kind of emotion over a game, being a great father can also mean owning up to your own mistakes, teaching from your errors can be done as well. Quitting something you love versus working as a family to manage a situation together can also be done.

Take it from someone that has screwed up enough times to have a understanding of this. My kids are now grown but some of the hardest lessons taught were at times I screwed up and had to own up to not being perfect :)

I have yet to see a book wrote on how to be a parent that was done by anyone that had any credibility or kids for that matter.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• you mad bro? It's just a game. Someone has to lose. Sadly it had to be us
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter

• Have a conversation with your kids and love on them. We can teach them through our failures as well as our successes. Saying, "I'm sorry, I was wrong," is something some children never hear from a parent. Peace to you.
    Wallingford
    NET Bench Warmer

• I was so mad I vacuumed the floor.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• The Battle #83 wrote:It's just a game.

^This is the key right here, I think.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:I was so mad I vacuumed the floor.

I thought you were going to say you pee'd on the rug that held the whole room together.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It's just a game.

I've never found that a meaningful statement.
    Wallingford
    NET Bench Warmer

That sucks!

...bada-boom
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Nothing like rage vacuuming.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• Lets not shit on Shark and act all holier than thou. Give the man some time and respect his decision.
    NJSeaHawk
    NET Veteran

• NJSeaHawk wrote:Lets not shit on Shark and act all holier than thou. Give the man some time and respect his decision.

Just letting him know he isn't the first to do this. It doesn't indicate a personality disorder.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• GeekHawk wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:I was so mad I vacuumed the floor.

That sucks!

...bada-boom

Besides its carrying things entire to far.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• NJSeaHawk wrote:Lets not shit on Shark and act all holier than thou. Give the man some time and respect his decision.

Nobody's shitting on him...

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Wallingford wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:It's just a game.

I've never found that a meaningful statement.

I can understand why some people don't, but for me, it helps put things in perspective.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• The Battle #83 wrote:you mad bro? It's just a game. Someone has to lose. Sadly it had to be us

Way to kick a man when he is down <slow claps>
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• I think what did it for me was when i feel the rage pumpin through my veins, I realize that the outcome of the game is completely out of my control. It sucks to think about but it's true, all we really do is sit back and enjoy and watch.
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• Hey Jon,

I'm behind your decision 100%. It's a game and it's entertainment and though I am as rabid as anyone I've ever known, I have always been fortunate enough to be able to seperate the Seahawks from the rest of my life in a healthy fashion. I wish you were able to do so as well because I have always greatly enjoyed reading your posts and looking at things from your perspective. It has indeed been a pretty rough 37 seasons as a Hawks fan though in some ways that has helped with days like this as sadly a part of me expects a day like today from my team. But hope springs eternal and I have much for next year. Anyway, I wish you the best if you do give up the Seahawks and sincerely hope your financial and personal lives improve. Your 'niceness' comes through in your writing and thus you deserve a turnaround man.

Perhaps in the future you'll be able to seperate the Seahawks from 'real life' and can return. I for one am hoping that day comes.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Cool to see Riggo still here. Great surmise of what we will all be feeling this week. Like Falcongoggles said we have forgiveness. No one living on Earth today is perfect so we all need to learn to forgive and part of that is forgiving ourselves. We also need to learn from it. I didn't check my BP but mine was high too. Like many of us I've been a diehard all my life which has been for the whole Hawks existence. A part of learning from it is knowing what you can handle. Taking time off and walking away may be the best thing for you and if so do it and feel good about it. Me it really helps to have all of you here knowing you, Riggo, Falcons fans next week :) and all our Hawks pals are feeling the same thing as me.

One suggestion. Get your family and go out and do some service together. To help me cope with football stress I try and do this with my family to help me remember what's most important in life and create great memories with my family that will last a lot longer and be more meaningful than a Hawk win or loss. Make treats and drop them off at a needy families house, whatever it may help.

We all screw up big time now and then. Chin up and good luck.
    Timberhawk
    NET Rookie

• i respect his decision, but not his actions. Some people just need to chill out so his decision will help him chill out
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter

• Apparently I'm just an attention whore. I really don't love my kids, nor do I really suggest others learn a lesson from my mistakes. It's all about attention whoring. I guess it helps when I read this stuff and see that this site still has some real insufferable buttwipes. It makes the losing not so bad, because I know their day is ruined too.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• nevermind let him have his thread
    Last edited by The Battle #83 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    sig by Ramster
    The Battle #83
    NET Starter

• That was an over the line comment and I don't care if it's gone or not, that was bad.

You are a treasure for this website, but your life is way, way, way more important than football. The remote throwing happens, the elevated heart rate when combined with your other physical issues is what makes me think you should walk away if it's that bad. I know this team means a lot to you, but after living for four years in Utah and seeing how tight families are there, I know it also means more to you to have a dad around for the long-term.
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

• SharkHawk wrote:Apparently I'm just an attention whore. I really don't love my kids, nor do I really suggest others learn a lesson from my mistakes. It's all about attention whoring. I guess it helps when I read this stuff and see that this site still has some real insufferable buttwipes. It makes the losing not so bad, because I know their day is ruined too.

The key part of this post is "some real insufferable buttwipes" man. Don't let them get you down and do see that most of us are offering truly heartfelt responses and support.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• The Battle #83 wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:Apparently I'm just an attention whore. I really don't love my kids, nor do I really suggest others learn a lesson from my mistakes. It's all about attention whoring. I guess it helps when I read this stuff and see that this site still has some real insufferable buttwipes. It makes the losing not so bad, because I know their day is ruined too.

Sadly my day is still better than your kids' day.

If I was a mod I would consider this not only a personnel attack but one on family also and you would be shown the door or be on vacation.

This is the type of poster that has as much class as a 2 bit hooker with a bunch of herpes sores on her face.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    The Battle #83 wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:Apparently I'm just an attention whore. I really don't love my kids, nor do I really suggest others learn a lesson from my mistakes. It's all about attention whoring. I guess it helps when I read this stuff and see that this site still has some real insufferable buttwipes. It makes the losing not so bad, because I know their day is ruined too.

Sadly my day is still better than your kids' day.

If I was a mod I would consider this not only a personnel attack but one on family also and you would be shown the door or be on vacation.

This is the type of poster that has as much class as a 2 bit hooker with a bunch of herpes sores on her face.

Done.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Next

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information