If I'm Pete Carroll I would be looking to accomplish these things this offseason:
1* Pass Rush: This is why we lost the game, plain and simple. Good cornerbacks are simply not enough, in order to have an elite defense rushing the passer is a must. Matt Ryan had all day to survey the field and as a result tore the secondary apart. This can be broken down to several different positions.
- Penatrating DT: We have somebody who can anchor (Mebane) but nobody who can penatrate. Jason Jones is our only DT capable of doing that on a semi consistant basis. We need another pass rushing DT to go over at three tech.
- Get rid of Bryant. He could make a good 3-4 end, but in this scheme he is really holding back the pass rush. We should either trade or cut him if we get no offers.
2. Get a servicable nickle cornerback via FA or draft. Lane might be that guy, however it seems Carroll doesn't seem to think so as of now. Trufant needs to go. This is the second biggest weakspot on the defense. Trufant had a 72% catch rate against him, 31st in the NFL amonst Nickle cornerbacks.
3. Playmaker on offense: I'm thinking either a multi faceted threat like Cobb or Harvin that can be split out wide, or line up in the backfield. Every team needs that "swiss army knife" type of player, it just adds much more depth. The second option would be a game breaking WR, although I feel Tate has the potential to become that guy.
4. Replace Hill, he is over the hill HAR HAR HAR