The 2 Seconds left Hail Mary

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I noticed that the receivers didn't look like it was the last play in the playoffs...More like the last play to end the half. I get that he threw it early but the receivers who were in the vicinity didn't have the body language like it was as big of a play as it was.

Not faulting anybody but I did notice it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3ffnl8t3 said:
It would have been something to send all the receivers to one side then have the block like a kick return and Russ take off.

Yup. i was hoping for the same thing. The field was wide open. I would love to see Wilson take off, get as far as he could, and then when the D converges on him, throw a lateral back across the field to a wide open Tate who runs in for the score....haha man that would never work. Only in my head.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It didn't look like it to me live, but doesn't it look like Baldwin is in perfect position for the catch if it went through Julio's hands? This picture frustrates me. Looks so close!

740605_10151179500506722_120800867_o.jpg

Axx

Reaction score
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcLwRsium4[/youtube]

Looks like pass interference for me.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Axx":2nwittog said:

In that video, doesn't it look like Tate is 1-on-1 on the left side of the field? Wonder why the pass didn't go there.

drdiags

Reaction score
Axx":42t5eowk said:

That would have gone over well in Twitterverse. Remember there is no interference calls on Hail Mary's, unless you are a non-descript team that no one wants to see beat the more-storied one. :stirthepot:

HawkWow

Reaction score
I can't understand why Bevell sent the injured Miller down. Why not send Sherman? RW did everything he could with that play. Threw a beautiful, perfectly lofted ball...but had to rush it. Sherman or Browner would have stood a much better chance of reaching the end zone than Miller...as awesome as he was, he was the wrong guy and I think only made it to the 5.

blue 22

Reaction score
brimsalabim":gciclioc said:
It would have been something to send all the receivers to one side then have the block like a kick return and Russ take off.

I seriously was thinking the same f'ing thing! just have em all block it was only 50 yards to run... who knows?

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
As far as fake hail mary trick plays are concerned, I'm not sure if it ever occurred to the coaches to whip one up just in case.

3 WR to the left, Tate to the right, Leon in the backfield to "block".

Russell takes the snap, runs around for about 3 to 4 seconds, finds a seam on the left side and starts the scramble. Leon hangs around in the backfield, maybe chips a rusher on his way upfield, but he kind of lingers with Russell across the field laterally. Once Russell getting hit is imminent, he pulls the trigger and hits Leon on a long lateral pass and from there, its just like a punt return and he probably has to make a guy miss and then get a good block from Tate to get in.

From the 50 yard line this is totally imaginable.

talic7

Reaction score
that running play maybe wouldn't be that bad of an idea... especially since Julio Jones was on the field and i'm guessing he probably wasn't the only WR in the endzone.

but I think it would've been even better to try and get it to Tate 1 on 1 on the other side. Everyone was expecting a pass to the 3 guys on the right side but Tate and Wilson have amazing chemistry and Tate is a guy that just won't give up on a play... hell he could've caught it on the 10 and he would probably get close or even in.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
My feeling on these last second "Hail Marys", is to throw it short (inside the five - as the opposition is poised in the End Zone), and let a receiver (in stride) roll that bad boy in for the TD.

But, I guess that's why I'm not an OC.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
My question was why didn't we throw it down field to set up a potential FG

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
6 seconds is not enough time to try to advance the ball long enough for a successful FG attempt.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
Aros":3nzl6zgm said:
6 seconds is not enough time to try to advance the ball long enough for a successful FG attempt.

I think it could have Ben possible we had 2 timeouts

Tical21

Reaction score
Sure 6 seconds is enough. Run a corner route, a 12 yard out, heck, a slant or pop pass. 10 more yards and we have a fantastic shot of winning that game. I think that is what they were planning on doing with the play the called, but Baldwin executed it terribly.

As far as the actual last play, Wilson wasn't pressured. He just didn't wait for his guys to get down the field. I would bet the average time a QB holds onto the ball on a hail mary is 3 seconds longer, which is a decade in football terms. He didn't give them a shot.

If a guy falls down in the end zone involuntarily, is the ball automatically considered to be downed? Julio caught the ball, fell to the ground, and flipped the ball a few feet away. He wasn't touched and made no attempt to down the ball on a knee or anything.

The Radish

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":67bpqshn said:
I think he threw it too soon. Not that it mattered anyway, with the long shot that it was. But that's what it looked like to me.

He was being trapped in the pocket and had to throw it early to keep from being sacked.

I too noticed the ball got to the endzone before our players did.

:les:

Twisted

Reaction score
he didn't throw it too soon, he threw it perfect, why Seattle needs a speed guy, even then I think those guys should have been in place, I guess if they are going to rely on that play they should practice it with more design?

I say kick the 3

salamander

Reaction score
I don't think they could have gotten any more on the second to last play. 2 seconds is not much time, and they would have been crucified for running out of time AGAIN if they hadn't executed.