Is Russell Wilson a role model?

mikeak

Reaction score
Bipolar":m97809zh said:
SoulfishHawk":m97809zh said:
let's face it, Russell Wilson is smart, since he completed a bacherlors in 3 years (although in Communications, and from a crappy school) !

Are you seriously calling NC State a crappy school? Last time I checked UW has more bridges collapsing from bad engineering than NC State........ just saying. Science and Engineering are tough at NC State and they are known for good programs.

Communication - not so much :)

EDIT: http://www.ncsu.edu/about-nc-state/rankings/

Greenhell

Reaction score
Bipolar":1hw0bg4i said:
He also happens to be a religious fanatic (not any different from Tim Tebow) and his constant bible references make him sound like a total douche.

other than that, he is a great role model for everyone.

the problem with athletes in general is that they are dumb as a rock. in case of RW, of course, you can see that this is obviously not the case.

Where are these bible references you're talking of?

CornerHawk

Reaction score
Bipolar":3uxvc50r said:
but what I read on twitter is whole another story.
his major flaw, in my opinion, is that he is deeply religious.

I think the problem is with you. I don't follow him on twitter and I had NO idea if he was religions or not.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":22ayv3tz said:
Bipolar":22ayv3tz said:
He also happens to be a religious fanatic (not any different from Tim Tebow) and his constant bible references make him sound like a total douche.

In a way you are promoting the same judgmental behavior of religious fanatics that turns people off. I use to be just like you..... till I grew up, now I really don't care what people think or believe as long as they are happy. Who are you or I to judge them?

Thats just hilarious and shows the level of immaturity that contradicts the statement. I always laugh when I hear the phrase "and then I grew up". It's classic high school attack mode.

I don't even know what post you were referencing but I know you failed to make your point in those five words
Please use the sarcasm button if your joking around. I hope I didn't miss the point but I did laugh out loud.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
People find faith and purpose in their lives. I'm not religious but I have no problem with RW's strong Christian leanings. His faith is part of what makes him a courageous and giving soul. It allows him to carry on the burdens he does and to meet challenges head on.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
T-Sizzle's point, if I may paraphrase, was to not judge people by how they came upon having upstanding characteristics but to appreciate that they have upstanding characteristics. "Then I grew up" can be taken as, "he/she has been in my shoes and would go onto to feel wrong about this opinion, so maybe, just maybe, I'm wrong as well?" or it can be taken as, "u a dumb kid, grow up to be a not so dumb kid now k lololol." It looks like you, Rich, may have taken it as something like the latter which is likely a misunderstanding of his intended tone.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Religion really doesn't have much bearing on anything if you're watching football.

This is unless the player we're talking about is being kept on the roster (or gets the starting job) because he fills the stands with people who think someone is a good player because they are very religious and charismatic.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Role models don't have to be all or nothing either. Tiger Woods is a fantastic role model for occupational excellence. Family values on the other hand? Yeah, not so much.

jdblack

Reaction score
Bipolar":2vsmat1e said:
I am perfectly fine with him tweeting whatever he wants as well, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

How does that sound if you change it to:

Bipolar":2vsmat1e said:
I am perfectly fine with him being gay, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

Davehawk

Reaction score
RW's religion is what makes him...well him. He doesn't push it on you, but he believes in something that has encouraged him to strive and be a better person on and off the field.

I have no idea how you get "douche" from that. Does it really bother you that he posts scriptures from his faith on his Twitter? If that is what bothers you about RW then I don't know what to tell you, prepare to be bothered for the next 10-12 years I guess.

Bat9th

Reaction score
Calling someone a douche for religious tweets? Really? No thanks. You have every right to say whatever you want, but show alittle class.

As for the original Q. If anyone would be a good role model I imagine it would be him.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3uu31v8z said:
I'm atheist and am not a big fan of people attributing their success in life to what I perceive as mythical beings.

And I'm not a big fan of people dictating to others what they should do with their Twitter accounts.

Bipolar

Reaction score
jdblack":1oa31gxg said:
Bipolar":1oa31gxg said:
I am perfectly fine with him tweeting whatever he wants as well, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

How does that sound if you change it to:

Bipolar":1oa31gxg said:
I am perfectly fine with him being gay, but I do not want my children to grow up to be like him.

not sure if I see any similarities. I simply don't like religious fanatics. hell, I don't like anyone who is obsessed over certain ideas!

its like one of those annoying uber political friends on Facebook (who wouldnt shut the F up about abortion, or their firearms, or gay rights, or organic products, or something else)... you don't really want to unfriend them out of respect form them in real life, and at the same time, you roll your eyes every time he shares another stupid agenda-loaded post.

same thing with Russell Wilson, in my mind. he might be great guy, a great player and a great leader, but I just don't like his religious obsessions.

its my personal (and biased) opinion.

madbohem

Reaction score
Hawknballs":c0nadf4y said:
Bipolar":c0nadf4y said:

other than that, he is a great role model for everyone.

the problem with athletes in general is that they are dumb as a rock. in case of RW, of course, you can see that this is obviously not the case.

the only place i ever see constant bible references from him is on his twitter feed, which is his personal twitter account, not a marketing/team tool, so I'm not sure how that makes him sound like a 'douche'. I'm atheist and am not a big fan of people attributing their success in life to what i perceive as mythical beings. But I haven't heard much if any religious speak from him in interviews, let alone enough to sound 'douchey'.

Thank You. I am totally on the other end, a nut case about it if you let me, but believe Wilson is exactly how you conduct yourself as a professional.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Much moreso than Manti Te'o. Thinks me.

Wilson is almost too good to be true. Parents need to be role models as well as choose role models for their kids. Wilson is an inspiration on many levels and parents can use him as an example of how "hard work pays off", "never quit on yourself", "never accept that you are too this or too that for this or that". The possibilities are endless.

Everywhere I go, people that know I'm a Hawk fan just go on and on about Mr. Wilson. Soon he'll have his own bobblehead and a Lombardi. What's not to love?

Latest posts