Dan Quinn is the new defensive coordinator

The Outfield

Reaction score
Hopefully Quinn won't be the type to plan interviews the day before playoff games.

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
Don't know much about the guy, but from what I am hearing/reading, sounds like a nice pickup. Hopefully at a minimum a wash w/ what Bradley brought.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
Awesome hire. Most of the D will be familiar with him. A blow for Bradley though, would have been a good DC for him but Quinn is smart enough to know that Seattle is the springboard for a HC gig and not JAX.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Nice, I like how this team is really getting after it this early in the off season. They seem to be on a mission! Super excited for next year!

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Quick replacement
Someone familiar with the team, the HC, the GM, and some of the players
Impressive work with the Florida D

What's not to love about this? It seems that this was very possibly the best hire to guarantee the least amount of upheaval and negative change for our D.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
gw232":irqhg326 said:
Hopefully Quinn won't be the type to plan interviews the day before playoff games.

Come on, seriously. Even JS said the other day that the day before the game is a day for rest, no coaching or game planning going on. Get on the NFL for the rule, or lack of rule, but not on Gus Bradley for doing the best thing for his family and future. It's NOT the reason we lost on Sunday.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
Quinn turned Big red into a moster and since he left red hasn't been as dominate. I love this hire because we can almost keep the same structure in place with are assistants. And its almost like bradley is not gone. Plus we get to see jaye howard dominate this year.

purpleworld

Reaction score
It was time for Bradley to move on, too many mistakes repeated and not learned from that ultimately ended our season....Quinn soothes the pain a bit and allows the healing of optimism to begin once again!

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Great move - best case scenario! Quinn is not only very familiar with the scheme and coaching staff, but has worked with Mebane, Clemons, and Bryant. We not only get a very good DC, but someone who has a reputation as a VERY good Defensive Line coach. Immediate improvement to our base defense pass rush

Atradees

Reaction score
Dan-Quinn.jpg

Sweet! Dan Quinn! MMA Record 5-7-1!

What has Dan Quinn done?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is the best choice to maintain continuity. Quinn is very familiar with what we do here and should get the best out of the players on our D-line.

He also might be able to do some great work with Irvin.

Solid signing by Pete.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
It feels like, to me anyway, that Quinn was going to be the DC next season regardless of Gus Bradley being hired elsewhere or not.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":267599yl said:
Quinn turned Big red into a moster and since he left red hasn't been as dominate. I love this hire because we can almost keep the same structure in place with are assistants. And its almost like bradley is not gone. Plus we get to see jaye howard dominate this year.

Big Red developed plantar fasciitis (rumored) and wasn't the same all year. It is a painful and chronic condition and a new DC won't fix it. His drafted replacement will though, and if Red doesn't bounce back, he will be a cap casualty next year.

Edit: Oh and Jaye Howard wasn't there when Quinn was DC at University of Florida. Quinn DID, however, endorse Howard to the FO.

Edited again: I was mistaken, Quinn was Florida DC for Howard's last year there.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Does anyone know how Quinn is as a playcaller? Did he calls plays on D as a head coach last year?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1t8koaya said:
In my ideal scenario they would have promoted from within, but I trust in PC/JS. This has to be a blow to some of Pete's defensive underlings that were certainly hoping for a promotion to that DC slot. Hopefully it doesn't sour any of them on the hawks' pipeline system.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Quinn's abilities and feel it's a quality hire based solely on the merits of Quinn himself.

Why would it faze the other guys? They worked with Quinn in 2011 (fulfilling the promote from within, albeit a year late) and they saw what he did at Florida as DC. I bet they're stoked to get him back. I know I am. (And I'm pretty astonished that it happened so soon, actually.)