Brock Huard thinks Tebow makes sense for Seahawks

kearly

Reaction score
Now obviously, the topic of Tim Tebow will ruffle some feathers. But I figured I'd at least try to defend Brock (here is the audio for Brock).

My memory is hardly a steel trap, but I remember back in 2010 when Pete used language in interviews that seemed to suggest he was faintly positive about Tebow, and even seemed mildly intrigued by Tebow's sky-high intangibles. As we know, John Schneider really values QB's who tilt the field, and while Tebow is a very poor passer, he is an outstanding leader who can make teammates believe they are destined to win even in the face of harsh adversity. In this regard, I could see interest in Seattle.

While I do not personally think it is a dealbreaker, Matt Flynn is not a read option QB, and that could hold Seattle's offense back after it has grown accustomed to having that wrinkle. It is not unthinkable that Tebow, who thrived in such an offense at Florida, might be able to compete about as well as Matt Flynn would in a mismatched offense.

Most teams do not have two good QBs. Good QBs are in very short supply. The real goal for most teams is having a game manager backup, a guy that you can bring in for a very short period of time that can keep your season alive by doing just enough to win games. When Seneca Wallace stepped in during the 2006 season, he led Seattle to a 2-2 record while Hasselbeck recovered. He was not stellar, but his value was potentially the difference between making and missing the playoffs that year. Tebow may not be an all-pro in the making, but he's cheap, and he's got a 7-4 record as a starter. And he ain't never played on a team like ours, either.

Tebow also adds value as a trick-play type player. Really, he's a little like what Colin Kaepernick was in SF during the 2011 season, minus the accuracy.

If Seattle unloads Flynn, it will mainly be due to salary reasons. I'm not expecting a massive draft pick return. Therefore, it makes sense to replace Flynn with a low cost QB. That will probably be a draft pick. But if on the chance Seattle walks out of the draft without a QB and is looking at what's out there, Tim Tebow could probably be had for the minimum (if he's released by the Jets), which would hold some appeal. If Seattle did actually trade (a can of peanuts) for Tebow, the cap hit would be $2.5 million in 2013 and 900k in 2014. It would be nice if he cost less, but that's still a pretty big savings over Flynn or any decent FA QB.

My take:

I would sooner draft several QBs, or acquire Matt Moore (in free agency?). And this is of course assuming that Flynn is dealt, because otherwise there is no point to this. But if for argument's sake, Seattle gets an offer they can't refuse for Flynn (4th round pick or better) in March and they deal him, then they walk into the draft and end up not getting the guy they wanted, at that point Seattle will have to start surfing the waiver wire for whatever they can get at backup. In that scenario, where the best available options would be guys like Vince Young, T-Jack, and Tebow, I think I'd prefer Tebow. He's essentially no worse of a passer than T-Jack but with far superior running skill and durability.

So for me, it would be way down the list of options, but if it did happen, I wouldn't freak out. Really, if our guys made that call, I'd trust them. It would probably end up just being short term fun, if nothing else.

pehawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks aren't an offense which requires QB's dropback and throw to a spot. Wilson rarely did that. That lessons Tebow's disadvantage of poor accuracy.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Agreed. Tebow is a bit like Locker, accuracy is better on the move.

pehawk

Reaction score
If Tebow didn't come with the media circus, this wouldn't even be controversial. Not one bit.

canzag

Reaction score
I have no problem with it.Also-should they wish to convert him to fullback who better to teach him than another former college QB in Mike Rob.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
He would add nothing to this team. We don't need some fool coming in to botch a play or attempt to run a trick play when there are plenty of guys on the roster that are more than capable.

Osprey

Reaction score
pehawk":3gusvmfl said:
If Tebow didn't come with the media circus, this wouldn't even be controversial. Not one bit.

That's where the magic of South Alaska comes into play. It would be a story for the east coast mediots for about a month, max. After that nobody's making the 6 hour flight to try to drum up a story.

themunn

Reaction score
tebow's only been a media story because he "just wins" and the two teams he's been on have been quarterback messes.

nobody is interested in a backup playing behind a guy who is playing great, just like media stories involving flynn started to surface when wilson wasn't playing great at the start of the season, they were gone when wilson proved he's the man.

But would be be much cheaper than Flynn?

Largent80

Reaction score
The thought of this guy QBing the Hawks if Wilson got hurt is a nightmare....Blech times a million.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Tebow makeS perfect sence for the hawks. No question in my mind. He could really learn a to. From the guy we have here, in how to actually play the position. No I'm not talking about learning from Russel Wilson, though I'm sure he can teach Tebow a thing or two. I talking about learning from the leading passer in Penn St history, Mike Robinson. Tebow could be a tremendous full back if he just swallows his pride.

docj78

Reaction score
I could dig it! I'd like to see him start a full season at QB someplace though. That way, either he succeeds and proves the naysayers wrong, or he stinks it up, and hopefully comes to the realization he needs to switch to FB.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
It's not out of the realm of possibility. We're unlikely to ever see him on the field, but at the same time, Tebow still believes he's a starting QB in this league, doesn't he? He's not going to want to sit behind Wilson, even if it's obvious to all that Wilson is a far superior player.

hawker84

Reaction score
tebows a proven winner, and a proven team player... i don't dread the idea of him playing here, and really don't care about the media circus, which i think would be a non issue as a poster already suggested because of the play of wilson... and it's been suggested by the media in the right system he could be effective... i'd rather have a seneca wallace type that can actually throw and run though...

Throwdown

Reaction score
hawker84":1r7i8u2r said:
tebows a proven winner, and a proven team player... i don't dread the idea of him playing here, and really don't care about the media circus, which i think would be a non issue as a poster already suggested because of the play of wilson... and it's been suggested by the media in the right system he could be effective... i'd rather have a seneca wallace type that can actually throw and run though...

Then why can't he accept that he's not a QB?

I don't want him anywhere near my hawks, I'd leave this dude on the curb where he belongs if I'm a GM or coach unless he changed his stance to play another position.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I don't think calling my dislike for Tjack's game, "legendary" is out of line. I would rather have Tjack as our back up than Tebow. Tebow simply is not an NFL QB. If you cant throw the ball, you can't be QB in the league. Tjack can at least throw the ball, he just didn't have it between the ears. Tebow needs a position change. I have advocated him at TE for a while. maybe an Hback?

Draft someone or pick up Matt Moore.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Good kid but the media would still be up in Seattles grill all the damn time. They'd try to create a QB controversy when there will never be one. Not only no but HELL NO!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Do you all know your Bible verses? You might be asked to learn them after every game !!!
Why did the Jaguars hire a defensive coach? Tebow teams win with defense and the miracle of the last 2 minutes.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, it does make some kind of sense, I guess. But I'd rather draft someone on day 3 and develop him. I still would love to see the QB carousel start here like the Pack had for so many years. Draft someone, coach him up, and trade him for more picks. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Erebus

Reaction score
To the typical fans eye, and even that of an NFL scout, Tim Tebow is not a very good QB. But the statistics indicate otherwise, and John Schneider and Pete Carroll are likely to look past things that everyone else gets caught up in (in this case its accuracy). Remember, they concentrate on what a guy can do, not what he can't do.

John Schneider and Pete Carroll are trendsetters and not handicapped by conventional thinking. At the 12th Man Town Hall last year, Pete Carroll talked about doing things better than they've ever been done before, which to me means he's always open to unconventional thinking and would give some thought to how to utilize Tim Tebow.

John Schneider said he wants someone that tilts the field. Well, obviously he got that guy in Russell Wilson, but there's nothing wrong with having two of those guys. Tim Tebow does that too. He makes everyone play better and he wins games. And he won many of those games in clutch situations. He would be a great fit for this team as a backup based on his leadership abilities, ability to throw on the run (he would have to with our pass protection), and the speed to run the read-option.

Don't take my word for it. Check out this article from Cold Hard Football Facts. He was underused by Rex Ryan, and when he did play, was the 14th best QB in the league last year.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...have-saved-5-gms-7-coaches-and-9-teams/20537/

Read this article with an open mind and try to get past his throwing accuracy. I'm sure Pete Carroll can get past it.