Bevell signs extension to stay Hawks OC

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I admit I've been quick to yell 'WTF?!' at some plays, but I also admit I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm usually just lashing out emotionally when I yell at Bevell through the TV. That said, I am thrilled that DB and RW & Co. can get started immediately after Russell's honeymoon and develop the world-class offense that everyone knows Wilson is capable of running. Great news!

SeaMeat

Reaction score
Well, let me be the first to say that this sucks.

I am not a supporter of Bevell at all and was excited to the idea of him going elsewhere.

Oh well, I will still be heard from miles around rooting for the Seahawks next season during the good or bad!!!

The Outfield

Reaction score
I don't get how you can't like what we saw from our offense w/ Bevell during the latter half of the year...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kidhawk":sai04k4w said:
I have questioned the way we handcuffed Wilson early in the season, and even had some issues early in games later in the season, but I do think they are learning each other and another year of continuity should be a positive thing for both of them.

Yeah, he's slowly catching on. Turn Wilson loose and we win games. The smart thing for him to do now is develop more bread and butter plays that compliment Wilson's unique skill set.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
shawnsim":1hu16tt4 said:
jlwaters1":1hu16tt4 said:
shawnsim":1hu16tt4 said:
+1 Except the 4th and one against Atlanta.

why is that considered a bad call, I want to know? Afterall that play worked like clockwork throughout the season. We ran it maybe a half dozen times and EVERY TIME it got a first down in the regular season. So why exactly was it a bad call? Because it didn't work? If that's the only argument than it's very weak indeed.

I don't know if you caught this but on the 3rd and 1 A) PC was trying to call a timeout. 2) it was reported that the Seahawks OL missed a check at the LOS on that play, because of the noise. Those missed details probably cost us the 1st down.

Simply because we should have gone for the points. We should have gone for momentum. We blew it and lost by a field goal. Not too hard to understand.

Your gripe is with Pete then, not Bevell. It was not Bevell's decision to not kick the FG.

canfan

Reaction score
Awesome move! I think Bevell does a great job of designing plays that take advantage of what our receivers do well. I get the feeling that there is a lot more to this playbook than we have seen so far. As the players and OC continue to grow together, I expect this to be a very consistent and productive offense thats also going to make you say "wow" 2 or 3 times a game!

GO HAWKS!

Sturm

Reaction score
Unlike some others on here, I actually like Bevell's playcalling so I'm glad he's staying.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3rvb8zic said:
Just surprised that Bevell is the one the Seahawks fought to keep here. See ya Gus!

I think there are a couple possibilities why. The most likely one being that Pete might not have felt Bradley had much left to learn in his system and he was ready to strike out on his own, as it were.

Or they just really wanted to bring in Quinn.

I'm really glad to see this. I think, given that we're going to have at least one drafted receiver this year, Bevell's going to be a good choice for integrating the rook into our system. I can only hope it's someone like DeAndre Hopkins.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1e042s9j said:
shawnsim":1e042s9j said:
Simply because we should have gone for the points. We should have gone for momentum. We blew it and lost by a field goal. Not too hard to understand.

Your gripe is with Pete then, not Bevell. It was not Bevell's decision to not kick the FG.

Exactly. If anyone blames Bevell for the call to go for it on 4th and 1, they don't know how the team works.

Blame him for the playcall, sure, but not the call to go for it. (even though the playcall itself was fine too. That same play has worked every time this year and we have run it multiple times).

purpleworld

Reaction score
HawkFan72":zg6yzz5v said:
(....That same play has worked every time this year and we have run it multiple times).

And Atlanta was ready for it....they scout too!

Sac

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3p0i6ilv said:
Seanhawk":3p0i6ilv said:
shawnsim":3p0i6ilv said:

Exactly. If anyone blames Bevell for the call to go for it on 4th and 1, they don't know how the team works.

Blame him for the playcall, sure, but not the call to go for it. (even though the playcall itself was fine too. That same play has worked every time this year and we have run it multiple times).

That's kind of a problem too though, if we've run it multiple times and it's been successful don't you think a team as good as ATL would notice and prepare for it?

They called the perfect defense for that situation.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
purpleworld":wtxen870 said:
HawkFan72":wtxen870 said:
(....That same play has worked every time this year and we have run it multiple times).

You think all the other teams hadn't prepared for it as well? Sometimes there are plays that are successful even when the other team knows it is coming. If you execute correctly, there is no way to stop it from getting 1 or 2 yards.

The Hawks just did not execute on that play. They let a blitzer come right through the running lane.

kidhawk

Reaction score
v1rotv2":34fh8puk said:
kidhawk":34fh8puk said:
I have questioned the way we handcuffed Wilson early in the season, and even had some issues early in games later in the season, but I do think they are learning each other and another year of continuity should be a positive thing for both of them.

PC said many times it was him that kept the leash on Wilson. Bevell answers to PC.

Not only do I know this, but I was pretty adamant about it when it happened. Pete is the head coach and should take responsibility, as it is he who makes the final call on something like that. Of course if Pete is the kind of person and coach I believe him to be, he doesn't just make these decisions arbitrarily. He's going to listen to the input of the position coaches and coordinators. My point being that pete rightfully owned the decision, but that doesn't mean it wasn't partially Bevell, Cable or any of the other coaches inputs that didn't help bring him to that decision.

Still, I like Bevell overall more tha I've disliked him, and I think we made a ton of positive strides last season from game 1 through game 18. This alone says we should try to remain consistent in our coaching philosophy here and to do that we should remain consistent with the coaches as well.

All in all, keeping Bevell, IMO is much more important than keeping Bradley. I think our team will continue to grow under the current staff.

Zowert

Reaction score
If Russell Wilson wasn't our QB and Matt Flynn didn't have a spectacular season, then this move would probably piss most people off.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Zowert":dxalf9qr said:
If Russell Wilson wasn't our QB and Matt Flynn didn't have a spectacular season, then this move would probably piss most people off.

Basically you're saying if our offense sucked we'd blame the coordinator.....surprise surprise. kinda like when a team fails to achieve it's goals they blame the coach and/or gm. This is kind of how the system works. Do a good job, keep your job. Get crappy results, lose your job.

Sturm

Reaction score
HawkFan72":m31j4mfb said:
purpleworld":m31j4mfb said:
HawkFan72":m31j4mfb said:

You think all the other teams hadn't prepared for it as well? Sometimes there are plays that are successful even when the other team knows it is coming. If you execute correctly, there is no way to stop it from getting 1 or 2 yards.

The Hawks just did not execute on that play. They let a blitzer come right through the running lane.

Pete said the play failed because it was so loud, they missed an 'alert.' Whatever that is...