Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Michael Johnson

Crizilla

Reaction score
and Osi Umenyiora.

Gotta think these guys will be huge targets this free agency. Yeah?!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I like the idea of Amendola. Gets open all the time and would likely cost plenty less than Welker. He's also 4 1/2 years younger than Welker (he's 27 and will turn 28 in November). Bonus would be a dagger to a division rival.

kearly

Reaction score
Amendola fits what we need, but it's worth noting that he's incredibly injury prone. He's only had 9 starts in the last two years combined. He's also a career 8.8 yards per catch player, which is very, very low. Amendola might be an upgrade over Baldwin, but not by much. They are similar players.

Lots of good FA options this offseason. Personally, I'd give Tony Gonzalez a call and see if he has one more season in him. Sounds like he might retire, but if not he's still got gas in the tank. He'd be an ideal fit for Seattle's short term TE situation.

CFraychineaud

Reaction score
I like the idea of michael johnson, hes young and would be an upgrade for red if we expect to get pressure from both sides with just a 4 man rush. Love bryant to death, but his pass rush blows, and his run defense degraded alot for the last half of the season. Would also like to get one of the younger pass rushing DTs.

Chawker

Reaction score
Throwdown":1div4qbf said:
No, No, and I guess, and no on Osi.
+10

I'm not in favor of over paying for other teams discards. I hope they show major restraints when trying to shop for the talent.

njh

Reaction score
I really hope they don't spend big in free agency. They don't need to. I'd really like to see Kam extended, ASAP. Then, keep rolling that cap forward.

We are eventually going to have to 'pay the piper' for paying Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, KJ Wright, Brandon Browner, and Doug Baldwin relatively nothing. The Seahawks are paying their probable franchise QB and an All Pro CB about 1 mil/yr... combined. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/yearly/)

The guys listed by the OP are fine players, but for someone else's team. However, I do understand the allure of Amendola considering that it seems like he kills us.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
We don't need a possession receiver like Amendola. We need a game-breaker.

I'd like to see a big, strong, young WR target that defenses have to account for every snap - like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Stevie Johnson.

I'd rather us draft DeAndre Hopkins.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Last couple years it seems like the Hawks mainly have targeted Offense in free agency and defense in the draft (except for 1 or 2 defensive FA signings like Alan Branch or Jason Jones). I would expect that trend to continue. Seems like that is where they think the value is.

Of course that could just be a coincidence and all change, but that is the trend the last 2 years.

mikeak

Reaction score
Lots of WRs in this draft - very deep should make the market for Amendola smaller and we could offer less. So kind of funny might make him more attractive.

I know Rice lasted all season but I think that is the second time in his career that he played a whole season. So maybe if we get Amendola we know we will get one full season between him and Rice.....

The others are going to cost to much

ceej22

Reaction score
No, he'll want to much money.
No, he gets hurt all the time so why waste cap space on him.
Maybe, I don't know much about him but if he fits our system he fills a big need.
Maybe, only because he is old and the demand/price could be low.

Personally I say draft. Cap space rolls over so why use it all on free agents who are going to demand big money. They will need all the cap space they can get at the end of the 2014 season.

Fitz the Ram

Reaction score
You stay away from Amendolla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really hope we re-sign him, him and Bradford have great chemistry and would hate to see him go to a division rival. Now if he could only stay healthy.....

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd give Jared Cook a call. He has excellent athleticism for a TE, and has performed well despite playing in the mess that's been Tennessee's offense lately.

I know Dwayne Bowe isn't really popular at the moment, but I think he could end up coming at a bargain.

You've got to look at Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett as well. They could be pass rush upgrades to Red, and they're both guys that can have success as gap shooting DT's.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
nanomoz":wyjzsw38 said:
I'd give Jared Cook a call. He has excellent athleticism for a TE, and has performed well despite playing in the mess that's been Tennessee's offense lately.

I know Dwayne Bowe isn't really popular at the moment, but I think he could end up coming at a bargain.

You've got to look at Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett as well. They could be pass rush upgrades to Red, and they're both guys that can have success as gap shooting DT's.

I really like the idea of signing Cook and I'd love to see if we could entice Bennett back to the fold.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Jared Cook, Jermichael Finley, or Fred Davis could be an affordable upgrade over McCoy and provide Wilson a good weapon.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":32gb256l said:
We don't need a possession receiver like Amendola. We need a game-breaker.

I'd like to see a big, strong, young WR target that defenses have to account for every snap - like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Stevie Johnson.

I'd rather us draft DeAndre Hopkins.

Exactly. Tate and Baldwin are proving to be good slot guys like Amendola is. No need to overpay for redundant positions. If Hopkins isn't available then Patterson from Tenn may be a draft choice to consider.