Your 2013 First round wish list

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3heeip7j said:
lukerguy":3heeip7j said:
I truly don't think you understand our needs, it's not that I don't like Ansah...

Red Bryant is our Elephant, he plays our DE position on early down, which we swap him for Irvin on passing downs. We also have two DT, Branch and Mebane who play on early downs as well. Our top 4 man pass rush included clem, mebane, Jones, and Irvin...that's who would normally be in on say 3rd and 8...

My problem with Ansah is that you are giving up on Bryant...He had one bad year, and was surely injured. Why would you give up on a guy you just committed to long term, when there are much greater team needs? If you draft Ansah, you're drafting him to be another pass rush specialty on 3rd down in the Jason Jones technique model? That's not his strength, and nor is it Pierre Paul.

I'm floored that you guys would want to end the Red Bryant experiment...he's what made our offense tick in 2011...He's our team leader on D, and he clearly wasn't right. So you would rather give up on a guy who's showed the potential he had in 2011, and pick his replacement when there are about 4 other spots that we need much more? SMH

That is why I have to stop having a conversation with you. At this point its pretty clear you don't understand team needs or what you are even talking about. There is too much wrong with that post and the others you have made. If you won't read what others are writing it discourages people from having conversation with you.

The deal is for five years and $35 million with $14.5 million in guarantees, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Bryant transformed into one of Seattle's most valuable defensive players after appearing on his way out of the NFL after the 2009 season.

So either our FO had no idea what they were talking about signing a guy to a $35,000,000 contract, or you are dead wrong. Bryant was dramatically important to our team in 2011, thus we felt like we couldn't lose him...Please come up with an intelligent thought before responding...please.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":2l92g1sp said:
lukerguy":2l92g1sp said:
You guys are crazy about this Ezekiel Ansah pick- it shows terrible understanding of what our needs are.

Even if I was pro-Bryant, I would be worried about his lengthy injury history. Branch might not be retained in FA. Seattle has to be looking at 5-tech candidates in this draft almost no matter what. Ideally, it would be a player that offers things Bryant can't.

I think Pete is delusional if he thinks he can get a top pass rush with a base 4 man rush that includes Bryant. We are still far away from that goal, and I really doubt we'll get another 11 sacks out of Clemons next year. IMO, an overhaul of most of the line is needed to make this a reality, and perhaps even a philosophy shift. When our zone coverage couldn't cover for shit in 2010, Pete switched to a press-man centric cover system in 2011 and 2012. He is capable of being schematically flexible. I think he'll need to be to solve this problem.

The philosophy works if you can stop the run. Bryant wasn't right this year. We were must better against the run in 2011, but we still couldn't get the QB on 3rd and long. Hypothetically if you could mix 2011 run stopping production with better pass rushers, you have a match made in heaven..Unfortunately, if you can't stop the run, and you can't get to the QB on 3rd down...well you have what we had this year.

I think Quinn will help with our pass rush, but I can't see us abandoning the Bryant DE strategy..It has the potential to be too dominant against the run.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
For our Defense to take the next step forward we need to Generate "A" Gap pressure. So a DT in the mold of someone like Dockett, Ngata (freak of nature), Geno Atkins, is what we desperately need. It is our #1 need but as i have said earlier in the season i just don't see any DT that impress me enough besides Lotulelei but he is not going to make it out of the top 5. I would say at 25 the logical pick would be an OG but i am pretty sure Sweezy can develop and i still have faith in Carpenter taking over on the left side. So you can throw that out. The WR class in my opinion is deep and good so i think we can wait on a WR in the second round. As much as i hate to say this it's really starting to look like Ertz may be the best fit and value for the team and when it comes our time to pick. But i still think McCoy had a good year this year. I still want to wait on WR shuttle and 40 times to see what some of the higher rated prospects do in this regard. We have not had a legitimate deep threat since Galloway and with Russell's arm i think that is what we desperately need to open the offense up and scare defenses completely. Other than that the only other scenario i see happening in the first round is us drafting an OLB or possibly trading back for more picks. So i would say our options are TE, OLB, Trade. If we trade back to the second and get a couple more picks a second and a 4th and future 2nd we could still get a good OLB in Greene (Rutgers), Brown(Kansas State), the TE from San Diego State Gavin Escobar (Only a Junior). So if we did trade back and get more picks i would like to see us take.
1. Arthur Brown OLB Kansas State
2. Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State
3. Or i would be happy with the most explosive and talented WR left on the board.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":s8h0b2iz said:
For our Defense to take the next step forward we need to Generate "A" Gap pressure. So a DT in the mold of someone like Dockett, Ngata (freak of nature), Geno Atkins, is what we desperately need. It is our #1 need but as i have said earlier in the season i just don't see any DT that impress me enough besides Lotulelei but he is not going to make it out of the top 5. I would say at 25 the logical pick would be an OG but i am pretty sure Sweezy can develop and i still have faith in Carpenter taking over on the left side. So you can throw that out. The WR class in my opinion is deep and good so i think we can wait on a WR in the second round.

I completely agree.

ErikG803

Reaction score
1. Sheldon Richardson, DT, Mizzou -- if there's anyway it could even possibly happen, I want him over anyone else
2. Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
3. Deandre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
4. Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford
4.a. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
5. Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
6. Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
7. Tavon Austin, WR, WVU
8. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
9. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
10. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

I get my money's worth

kearly

Reaction score
Good list ErikG803.

lukerguy":2j2nxb08 said:
The philosophy works if you can stop the run. Bryant wasn't right this year. We were must better against the run in 2011, but we still couldn't get the QB on 3rd and long. Hypothetically if you could mix 2011 run stopping production with better pass rushers, you have a match made in heaven..Unfortunately, if you can't stop the run, and you can't get to the QB on 3rd down...well you have what we had this year.

I think Quinn will help with our pass rush, but I can't see us abandoning the Bryant DE strategy..It has the potential to be too dominant against the run.

Our run defense ranking, by season (football outsiders):

2012: 12th
2011: 12th
2010: 17th
2009: 10th
2008: 17th
2007: 5th

Our rush defense peaked in 2007. Since then it's pretty much held steady between 10th and 17th. The best run defense we've had in the last 5 years was actually the year right before the Red Bryant experiment began. Really, the numbers don't support the idea that Red Bryant at end has helped our run defense. It probably just feels that way because Seattle's run defense always starts out really strong before falling off the planet in the 2nd half of the year. I'm starting to think this isn't a coincidence. You would expect a 330 pound DE to wear out in the 2nd half.

Those run problems continued in the playoffs.

Quinn was here before the Red Bryant experiment began. I don't expect him to end it, because I suspect it was Carroll, the guy who loves unique players, who made that call.

But I guess we'll see what happens. Even when I disagree with Pete, I have faith in him. He played Mebane at the 3 tech in 2010 when it was obvious to any tenured Seahawks fan that he belonged at the 1. Pete later said in his defense that he "didn't know" about Mebane's history at the 1. Fair enough. Maybe he'll pull the "didn't know" card again with Bryant, that he didn't know until the season was basically over how Bryant had been holding our line back. Or maybe he'll double down.

Either way, I heard exasperation in Pete's voice when he talked about pass rushers in the plural form. He knows radical action is needed. I guess we'll find out what that ends up being.

McGruff

Reaction score
Clemons will miss all of TC and likely part of the regular season as well. And when he comes back at his age, will he be half the player he was last year. We absolutely need to consider that.

My wish list

Sheldon Richardson
Ezekiel Ansah
Cordorelle Patterson
Xavier Rhodes
Barrett Jones
Kawann Short
Terrance Williams
Margus Hunt