Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 236
Living in the Chicagoland area I don't have access to Seahawks games unless they're playing the Bears or are on prime time tv.

The only way for me to be able to see the games would be via Direct TV. But I'm not crazy about having a dish, because my homeowners association has made it just about impossible to install a dish here. It's a very lengthy and time consuming process to say the least.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can order the cheapest package through Direct TV with NFL Sunday Ticket, but just don't actually have the dish and service coming into my house. Looking at Direct TV's website it looks like as long as I pay for the subscription and service I would be able to watch the games live via my laptop.

Does anyone here do this? Just wanted to see if this is possible before pursuing this idea.

And before anyone asks.....yes it's worth it to me to be able to actually watch the games live. lol


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:21 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:44 am
Posts: 1996
Location: Ohio
I think the PS3 has the Sunday Ticket

_________________
http://pressboxlounge.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:26 am 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:17 am
Posts: 2230
Location: St George, UT
I believe with Directv you have to have the 2nd tier or above package to get Sunday Ticket free for a year, don't know nothin bout no PS3.

_________________
Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:28 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:08 pm
Posts: 904
Apparently there is a way to get the online streaming part of direct tv without the dish. You have to "prove" you can't get a dish. It's not much cheaper, but it sounds like it might help you. My impression is if you get the right operator, and carefully answer their questions right, they will let you have it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 236
Well I just talked to an operator there and it looks like the only way to get NFL Sunday Ticket is to have a DirectTV subscription, and the only way to have a DirectTV subscription is to have a dish installed. So there goes my idea. Thanks for trying to help though.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:56 am
Posts: 205
Largefarva wrote:
Well I just talked to an operator there and it looks like the only way to get NFL Sunday Ticket is to have a DirectTV subscription, and the only way to have a DirectTV subscription is to have a dish installed. So there goes my idea. Thanks for trying to help though.


Check your messages. :thirishdrinkers:

_________________
Owner and operator of "Oof Studios" in South Everett WA
http://www.facebook.com/OofStudios
http://www.OofStudios.com


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 1554
Largefarva wrote:
Living in the Chicagoland area I don't have access to Seahawks games unless they're playing the Bears or are on prime time tv.

The only way for me to be able to see the games would be via Direct TV. But I'm not crazy about having a dish, because my homeowners association has made it just about impossible to install a dish here. It's a very lengthy and time consuming process to say the least.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can order the cheapest package through Direct TV with NFL Sunday Ticket, but just don't actually have the dish and service coming into my house. Looking at Direct TV's website it looks like as long as I pay for the subscription and service I would be able to watch the games live via my laptop.

Does anyone here do this? Just wanted to see if this is possible before pursuing this idea.

And before anyone asks.....yes it's worth it to me to be able to actually watch the games live. lol


same here, HOA PITA!

never did try to use my laptop or smart phone but supposedly you can easily

http://www.directv.com/sports/nfl

"get Sunday Ticket on any device"

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:50 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 1554
Largefarva wrote:
Well I just talked to an operator there and it looks like the only way to get NFL Sunday Ticket is to have a DirectTV subscription, and the only way to have a DirectTV subscription is to have a dish installed. So there goes my idea. Thanks for trying to help though.



may be we work out a deal for next season? each pay half, I have dish, you get username, password for devices... :D

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:53 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
Posts: 1994
Location: Graham, WA
I'd call again. I always found if they didn't give me the answer i wanted i'd call back and usually got my way or discounts I was looking for.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:54 am 
NET Ring Of Honor
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm
Posts: 21056
Location: NFL WORLD CHAMPIONS 2013-2014
I made the switch to Directv this year, got a free year of Sunday Ticket, but we have a dish. Although it is on top of the building we can't even see it.
They can be pretty crafty with installation, you should check with them about placement.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 am 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18002
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Largent80 wrote:
I made the switch to Directv this year, got a free year of Sunday Ticket, but we have a dish. Although it is on top of the building we can't even see it.
They can be pretty crafty with installation, you should check with them about placement.



Which in Southern California is great. But those of us with Dishes in winter zones want them where you can knock the snow off!

We are on our second trip with Dish, had them for years but had little trouble with snow. It seems the HD dishes are at a different angle since we had some trouble several times this year after rarely having it the last time we had Dish.

No way I'd have Direct TV just personal don't like them. But I've talked to them and Dish about what to do with snow problems that block signals.

If someone told you use PAM please don't, both dish people say that makes a sticky mess. One friend of mine has heat tape on his and that works pretty well but if its wet fast falling snow its pretty slow to work. Have had the dish/direct people suggest ski wax but am told that has to be put on warm/hot. Anyone here know about that?

I know that next summer when its warm I'm wanting to do something I hope will help. I'm getting pretty old to be out there with my mop trying to knock snow off the dish. lol

:th2thumbs:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
LOL

1) The right to have a dish on your property is protected by the FCC. This is a federal protection that NO HOA in this country can limit

2) There are specific size limits in the FCC rules and they are increased for AK and I think Hawaii

3) the limitations in your HOA are NOT enforceable

4) if you rent you can have the dish on rented property as long as you don't damage the property. So balcony stand is legal despite what your renter may say - screwing it into the roof is not acceptable without property owner approval


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:10 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
Found the link quickly

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-rece ... vices-rule

You don't have to but I would send a letter to the HOA satay in they can't limit this and then just go ahead and put up the dish


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:28 pm
Posts: 236
The association will allow us to have one but it has to be approved or they will fine us. We just got the updated rules on Friday and there was an 11 page section concerning installation of dishes on properties. Basically you have to hire someone to come out and evaluate where the best place for it would be, then have something drafted up to detail exactly where the dish would be installed, and submit several pages of paperwork asking for permission. They specify what color of wiring, junction boxes, and installed parts have to be. And this is all on your dime, and has to be approved by the HOA board. If it's not approved then you're back at square one and have to start all over. Like I said....it's possible but not really. With all the foreclosures we've had in out subdivision you would think they would just leave us alone....but nope. This is what I pay $210 a month for.....I'd like to continue on but this isn't the shack. lol


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
From the link

The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation, maintenance or use of the types of antennas

What you describe sounds like imparing the installation...

To clarify. They do NOT have the legal right for you to ask for permission. They can outline some criterial but those can NOT limit the installation. You ask TE company what colors are available and where they could install then send that to the HOA and sate that their rules are not enforceable as they attempt to limit a federal law.

I ha this fight and I told my HOA to suck it and they did


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:46 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
I just read the rest I my link. Dude you need to read it lol. Your exact situation is in there. They simply cannot enforce this rule. It is clear in the examples below


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
Ok last post :)
Read the last part

1) HOA has to prove that they are abiding by FCC rules not you
2) IF (and no way based on what you stte) then you have 21 days to remove the antenna without a fine....

You can't loose this one. Just talk to the HOA first so they know and then do what you want and let them have at it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 pm 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18002
Location: Spokane, Wa.
mikeak wrote:
Ok last post :)
Read the last part

1) HOA has to prove that they are abiding by FCC rules not you
2) IF (and no way based on what you stte) then you have 21 days to remove the antenna without a fine....

You can't loose this one. Just talk to the HOA first so they know and then do what you want and let them have at it.



I know you mean well here but I know of several people that live in apartments or condos that do not allow dishes of any kind and tell you that right up front. You can have Comcast or some such but not dishes.

Its like employees taking lie detector tests. If they tell up front before you move in you're screwed no matter what some federal law says.

:les:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:56 pm 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
The Radish wrote:
mikeak wrote:
Ok last post :)
Read the last part

1) HOA has to prove that they are abiding by FCC rules not you
2) IF (and no way based on what you stte) then you have 21 days to remove the antenna without a fine....

You can't loose this one. Just talk to the HOA first so they know and then do what you want and let them have at it.



I know you mean well here but I know of several people that live in apartments or condos that do not allow dishes of any kind and tell you that right up front. You can have Comcast or some such but not dishes.

Its like employees taking lie detector tests. If they tell up front before you move in you're screwed no matter what some federal law says.

:les:


Radish two things

One my understanding from OP is that he owns the house

Two you are wrong. Regardless if you know the stated rules before or after doesn't make them enforceable. Almost every HOA has these rules and they are not enforceable by law. It is really that simple. Renting is different as you can't drill into property you don't own etc but a balcony is right in there in the FCC rules as an example. It simply cannot be limited by a rental agreement.

A different example. You get hired as non-excerpt. Employer says he won't pay overtime

Not legal same situation


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:02 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:50 am
Posts: 300
Location: Kitsap County
Why not get it over your phone line?

Qwest has been trying to sell me DTV service via the phone line, just like internet access, for years, why not you?

_________________
For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:03 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:17 am
Posts: 2230
Location: St George, UT
Largefarva, you've got 9 months to figure it out. Time is on your side :th2thumbs:

_________________
Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:28 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 1988
12HawkFan wrote:
Why not get it over your phone line?

Qwest has been trying to sell me DTV service via the phone line, just like internet access, for years, why not you?


Just FYI here, even if you get the DTV service thru the phone company it is still DTV and requires a dish. It just bundles the bill w/ your phone bill usually w/ some kind of discount.

Also, if you really wanted the Sunday ticket online offering and did not care about paying for the tv part and not having it then you could do it. You would just have to find a local installer that would set you up probably w/ a tripod setup that you could take down and store in the closet. If you have a trailer or RV, you could even use it for camping or what ever.

_________________
Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:33 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 1988
The Radish wrote:
Largent80 wrote:
I made the switch to Directv this year, got a free year of Sunday Ticket, but we have a dish. Although it is on top of the building we can't even see it.
They can be pretty crafty with installation, you should check with them about placement.



Which in Southern California is great. But those of us with Dishes in winter zones want them where you can knock the snow off!

We are on our second trip with Dish, had them for years but had little trouble with snow. It seems the HD dishes are at a different angle since we had some trouble several times this year after rarely having it the last time we had Dish.

No way I'd have Direct TV just personal don't like them. But I've talked to them and Dish about what to do with snow problems that block signals.

If someone told you use PAM please don't, both dish people say that makes a sticky mess. One friend of mine has heat tape on his and that works pretty well but if its wet fast falling snow its pretty slow to work. Have had the dish/direct people suggest ski wax but am told that has to be put on warm/hot. Anyone here know about that?

I know that next summer when its warm I'm wanting to do something I hope will help. I'm getting pretty old to be out there with my mop trying to knock snow off the dish. lol

:th2thumbs:


They do make a heating pad that you can stick to the dish but requires power to it. These work very good w/ a thermo sensor that comes on at freezing and keeps snow off dish. I seen a guy in the Mt. Shasta area w/ one where they get several feet a year and he raved about it. There is also canvas covers made for them but snow can still build up on them and cause problems much like the old trash bag over the dish trick.

_________________
Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:45 pm
Posts: 173
I've been a "Sunday Ticket" subscriber since 1985, and MY suggestion,.....

......is to hold-out for a free season (as a new subscriber).

Hands down.

Go for the DVR, go for the HD, go for the whole Magilla.

Just go for DirecTV. Period.

Next year (for the Seahawks), will be epic.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 3518
Location: Huntsville, Al
I work in the television broadcast business, so I now the FCC rules very well.

It doesn't matter if you own or are renting, as long as you have access to the southern skies, you can install a dish. This area cannot be on common property, it has to be on what your own or rent. If you rent, you do have to abide by your contract, such as, no drilling, no holes, etc.

There are many ways around the no drilling, no holes parts. Straps, clamps, and such do a wonderful job.

No HOA nor apartment rules can keep you from getting a dish, as long as it's on your rented/owned property.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:02 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:34 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Austin, Texas
Every single year I go through this same dilemma, and it's just ridiculous. For some of us, we are willing to pay through the teeth to see live games but we are happy with cable or whatever other option we have. I don't want to switch my provider, install a satellite, and go through that hassle for something I should be able to pay for separately.

If the NFL wants to make money - fine. Charge me $20, $30, hell even $50 per game and I'll probably still pay to watch them live on my computer. NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV is about as crappy as the fact that you can't get a Coke at Taco Bell, only Pepsi.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 am
Posts: 27
Austin Hawk wrote:
Every single year I go through this same dilemma, and it's just ridiculous. For some of us, we are willing to pay through the teeth to see live games but we are happy with cable or whatever other option we have. I don't want to switch my provider, install a satellite, and go through that hassle for something I should be able to pay for separately.

If the NFL wants to make money - fine. Charge me $20, $30, hell even $50 per game and I'll probably still pay to watch them live on my computer. NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV is about as crappy as the fact that you can't get a Coke at Taco Bell, only Pepsi.



My thoughts exactly! AH I'm assuming you're on TWC like me in Bastrop, I even called and got the NFL Network package they were promoting and was told every game would be shown every week - I told them it was impossible since there was only 3 channels dedicated to the NFL Network and 1 was Red Zone highlights only. Of course they were wrong, they had no idea what they were selling.

_________________
"On third down, stop lookin' around"
"Who ya gonna throw it to?"
"This guy!"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:37 pm 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3075
Location: Anchorage, AK
Sorry guys that is capitalism....I am ok with it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:45 am 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:44 am
Posts: 132
Location: Monroeville, PA
The problem I had when I was an apartment dweller was the long axis of the building was dead on the azimuth need to see the satellite, so no place to install, and line of sight was blocked by heavy trees/big hill in any event. I even payed for a guy to come out and do a site survey. Now that I am in a house, got the whole kit and caboodle installed. HD, DVR, all sports packages. So cool to watch press pass and all access from 2,500 miles away on RSNW. Can often watch postgame shows from other cities as well, though some are inexplicably blacked out.

And the best part is that I pay about $6.50 a month for the it (special employee deal, my mother works for one of their billing contractors.)

_________________
Image
"Anybody can be a Seahawks fan in Seattle. Try being one in Pittsburgh!" PROUDLY REPRESENTING SINCE 1976.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Direct TV questions
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:03 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:17 pm
Posts: 862
Didn't read the whole thread, so not sure if any of this has been said.

1) As long as you have a line of site you can put the dish anywhere, that includes at the end of a stick in a bucket of concrete three feet off the ground. So basically if you wanted to not worry about the HOA you could just mount in your back yard on a pole/deck/ect.

2) You can subscribe to the PS3 version of NFL Sunday Ticket, and I'm pretty sure they will let you do this even if you DO have access to direct tv.

3) You can pay a smaller fee to a friend who already has DirecTV and Sunday Ticket to get the PS3 version, i.e. the current subscriber can pay a discount rate for PS3 Sunday Ticket access(that you reimburse for) that he/she will then give you the credentials to so you can log in and watch on your own.

4) I did read about mounting in unaccessible places and the concern during winter months with snow, you can purchase a cheap dish heater that mounts on the back and keeps the snow from sticking, easy to buy, easy to install.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.