Direct TV questions

A

Anonymous

Living in the Chicagoland area I don't have access to Seahawks games unless they're playing the Bears or are on prime time tv.

The only way for me to be able to see the games would be via Direct TV. But I'm not crazy about having a dish, because my homeowners association has made it just about impossible to install a dish here. It's a very lengthy and time consuming process to say the least.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can order the cheapest package through Direct TV with NFL Sunday Ticket, but just don't actually have the dish and service coming into my house. Looking at Direct TV's website it looks like as long as I pay for the subscription and service I would be able to watch the games live via my laptop.

Does anyone here do this? Just wanted to see if this is possible before pursuing this idea.

And before anyone asks.....yes it's worth it to me to be able to actually watch the games live. lol

grizbob

Reaction score
I believe with Directv you have to have the 2nd tier or above package to get Sunday Ticket free for a year, don't know nothin bout no PS3.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
Apparently there is a way to get the online streaming part of direct tv without the dish. You have to "prove" you can't get a dish. It's not much cheaper, but it sounds like it might help you. My impression is if you get the right operator, and carefully answer their questions right, they will let you have it.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

Well I just talked to an operator there and it looks like the only way to get NFL Sunday Ticket is to have a DirectTV subscription, and the only way to have a DirectTV subscription is to have a dish installed. So there goes my idea. Thanks for trying to help though.

Oof

Reaction score
Largefarva":1uvd7trb said:
Well I just talked to an operator there and it looks like the only way to get NFL Sunday Ticket is to have a DirectTV subscription, and the only way to have a DirectTV subscription is to have a dish installed. So there goes my idea. Thanks for trying to help though.

Check your messages. :thirishdrinkers:

Twisted

Reaction score
Largefarva":1gksah1k said:
Living in the Chicagoland area I don't have access to Seahawks games unless they're playing the Bears or are on prime time tv.

The only way for me to be able to see the games would be via Direct TV. But I'm not crazy about having a dish, because my homeowners association has made it just about impossible to install a dish here. It's a very lengthy and time consuming process to say the least.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can order the cheapest package through Direct TV with NFL Sunday Ticket, but just don't actually have the dish and service coming into my house. Looking at Direct TV's website it looks like as long as I pay for the subscription and service I would be able to watch the games live via my laptop.

Does anyone here do this? Just wanted to see if this is possible before pursuing this idea.

And before anyone asks.....yes it's worth it to me to be able to actually watch the games live. lol

same here, HOA PITA!

never did try to use my laptop or smart phone but supposedly you can easily

http://www.directv.com/sports/nfl

"get Sunday Ticket on any device"

Twisted

Reaction score
Largefarva":tt5rha8g said:

may be we work out a deal for next season? each pay half, I have dish, you get username, password for devices... :D

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd call again. I always found if they didn't give me the answer i wanted i'd call back and usually got my way or discounts I was looking for.

Largent80

Reaction score
I made the switch to Directv this year, got a free year of Sunday Ticket, but we have a dish. Although it is on top of the building we can't even see it.
They can be pretty crafty with installation, you should check with them about placement.

The Radish

Reaction score
Largent80":3irt9ty9 said:
I made the switch to Directv this year, got a free year of Sunday Ticket, but we have a dish. Although it is on top of the building we can't even see it.
They can be pretty crafty with installation, you should check with them about placement.

Which in Southern California is great. But those of us with Dishes in winter zones want them where you can knock the snow off!

We are on our second trip with Dish, had them for years but had little trouble with snow. It seems the HD dishes are at a different angle since we had some trouble several times this year after rarely having it the last time we had Dish.

No way I'd have Direct TV just personal don't like them. But I've talked to them and Dish about what to do with snow problems that block signals.

If someone told you use PAM please don't, both dish people say that makes a sticky mess. One friend of mine has heat tape on his and that works pretty well but if its wet fast falling snow its pretty slow to work. Have had the dish/direct people suggest ski wax but am told that has to be put on warm/hot. Anyone here know about that?

I know that next summer when its warm I'm wanting to do something I hope will help. I'm getting pretty old to be out there with my mop trying to knock snow off the dish. lol

:th2thumbs:

mikeak

Reaction score
LOL

1) The right to have a dish on your property is protected by the FCC. This is a federal protection that NO HOA in this country can limit

2) There are specific size limits in the FCC rules and they are increased for AK and I think Hawaii

3) the limitations in your HOA are NOT enforceable

4) if you rent you can have the dish on rented property as long as you don't damage the property. So balcony stand is legal despite what your renter may say - screwing it into the roof is not acceptable without property owner approval

OP
OP
A

Anonymous

The association will allow us to have one but it has to be approved or they will fine us. We just got the updated rules on Friday and there was an 11 page section concerning installation of dishes on properties. Basically you have to hire someone to come out and evaluate where the best place for it would be, then have something drafted up to detail exactly where the dish would be installed, and submit several pages of paperwork asking for permission. They specify what color of wiring, junction boxes, and installed parts have to be. And this is all on your dime, and has to be approved by the HOA board. If it's not approved then you're back at square one and have to start all over. Like I said....it's possible but not really. With all the foreclosures we've had in out subdivision you would think they would just leave us alone....but nope. This is what I pay $210 a month for.....I'd like to continue on but this isn't the shack. lol

mikeak

Reaction score
From the link

The rule allows local governments, community associations and landlords to enforce restrictions that do not impair the installation, maintenance or use of the types of antennas

What you describe sounds like imparing the installation...

To clarify. They do NOT have the legal right for you to ask for permission. They can outline some criterial but those can NOT limit the installation. You ask TE company what colors are available and where they could install then send that to the HOA and sate that their rules are not enforceable as they attempt to limit a federal law.

I ha this fight and I told my HOA to suck it and they did

mikeak

Reaction score
I just read the rest I my link. Dude you need to read it lol. Your exact situation is in there. They simply cannot enforce this rule. It is clear in the examples below

mikeak

Reaction score
Ok last post :)
Read the last part

1) HOA has to prove that they are abiding by FCC rules not you
2) IF (and no way based on what you stte) then you have 21 days to remove the antenna without a fine....

You can't loose this one. Just talk to the HOA first so they know and then do what you want and let them have at it.

The Radish

Reaction score
mikeak":8aqslt8x said:
Read the last part

2) IF (and no way based on what you stte) then you have 21 days to remove the antenna without a fine....

You can't loose this one. Just talk to the HOA first so they know and then do what you want and let them have at it.

I know you mean well here but I know of several people that live in apartments or condos that do not allow dishes of any kind and tell you that right up front. You can have Comcast or some such but not dishes.

Its like employees taking lie detector tests. If they tell up front before you move in you're screwed no matter what some federal law says.

:les:

mikeak

Reaction score
The Radish":92jwjyko said:
mikeak":92jwjyko said:
Read the last part

I know you mean well here but I know of several people that live in apartments or condos that do not allow dishes of any kind and tell you that right up front. You can have Comcast or some such but not dishes.

Its like employees taking lie detector tests. If they tell up front before you move in you're screwed no matter what some federal law says.

:les:

Radish two things

One my understanding from OP is that he owns the house

Two you are wrong. Regardless if you know the stated rules before or after doesn't make them enforceable. Almost every HOA has these rules and they are not enforceable by law. It is really that simple. Renting is different as you can't drill into property you don't own etc but a balcony is right in there in the FCC rules as an example. It simply cannot be limited by a rental agreement.

A different example. You get hired as non-excerpt. Employer says he won't pay overtime

Not legal same situation

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Why not get it over your phone line?

Qwest has been trying to sell me DTV service via the phone line, just like internet access, for years, why not you?