Wilson's agent asks for raise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
It seems to me that players that are signed out of the first rounds would have performance laden contracts. If not this will certainly set the precedent to start having them.

drdiags

Reaction score
Wonder what the agent was thinking? Who leaked this to the media? Weird timing. The agent has to know the CBA wouldn't allow this.

EDIT: I thought during the CBA negotiation there was talk of having a way to reward a player like Chris Johnson and now Wilson who outperforms their contract. This should be a well discussed issue. Let there be no threats of hold outs. The love-in will become a messy divorce.

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
UPDATE 1:19 p.m. ET: Several already have asked in the comments and on Twitter whether the Seahawks could simply cut Wilson and sign him to a new contract. The answer is yes, if he clears waivers. But he wouldn’t clear waivers. Indeed, he wouldn’t get past the Chiefs, who hold the top spot in the pecking order — and will continue to hold it through Week Three of the 2013 regular season.

Interesting, but like they said, he'd never clear waivers. Maybe Paul Allen can have Russell wash all his cars,.....at $100,000 a pop.

The Radish

Reaction score
Sounds like Wilson's agent is a dufus.

There are probably some ways around this that don't include changing his contract. First off the players signed off on that deal so have on one to blame but them selves.

Secondly if the want to do something on the side I would suggest Paul Allen sign him to consult with one of his companys for a couple of years.

I'm guessing no one here thinks there aren't dozens of people around football reading the current CBA finding out ways around various rules. Probably most of them much more knowledgable than any of us.

:roll:

BTW who would think we could cancel his contract, get him past waivers, and resign him. Jesus Christ how dumb would you have to be??

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
It's REALLY messed up in a sport where careers can end in a second, with no guarenteed contracts, there's rules NOT allowing renegotiations.

Que the jealous dummy who cries "but I dont make that type of money so Wilson should be happy with the contract he has already"; 3...2...1

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Just sign DangeRuss to several high paid endorsement deals. That shouldn't be too much of an issue for PA

mikeak

Reaction score
SeaHawk80":3utyrefn said:
It seems to me that players that are signed out of the first rounds would have performance laden contracts. If not this will certainly set the precedent to start having them.

I really don't know the specific details but I think this would still be subject to salary restrictions and they are lowered as the draft keeps going

I had a big discussion about this elsewhere and I think the only solution are some Owner - Union negotiated automatic raises. First rounder makes pro-bowl $500k, second rounder $750k, 3rd and beyond $1m. 3rd rounder and beyond plays more than 60% of snaps = bonus

The rookies got completely screwed by the veterans. The rookies have no money so they are stuck accepting the CBA and sign up with the union. I would be interested in a legal opinion if they even can sue since they signed up with the union or sue later claiming the union did not represent their best interest in the negotiations and they did not have a seat at the table.

Don't get me wrong something needed to be changed but this deal when many players only lasts a few years is a joke.

mikeak

Reaction score
The Radish":595dvseu said:
Sounds like Wilson's agent is a dufus.

There are probably some ways around this that don't include changing his contract. First off the players signed off on that deal so have on one to blame but them selves.

Secondly if the want to do something on the side I would suggest Paul Allen sign him to consult with one of his companys for a couple of years.

I'm guessing no one here thinks there aren't dozens of people around football reading the current CBA finding out ways around various rules. Probably most of them much more knowledgable than any of us.

:roll:

BTW who would think we could cancel his contract, get him past waivers, and resign him. Jesus Christ how dumb would you have to be??

I am stupid so please elaborate what these college kids should have done? Gone on strike? Do you really think the league wouldn't have started as scheduled. The rookies signed the ONLY deal that exists thanks to the players union that isn't run by rookies. The only path to an immediate change is a strike now by all rookie players under this CBA. Lets see what happens if Luck, RW, Sherman and others state that they won't play until changes are made...

hawk45

Reaction score
The CBA was signed off by the current players because more of the pie was spread out to the current players in return for the rookie cap. Also, it was a reaction to the franchise-killing contracts for guys who had never proved anything in the NFL. So blame Ryan Leaf and company for this, not the evil owners or the greedy union veterans. Is someone going to say that all the money that used to be paid to stiffs selected in the first round isn't better spent on guys who have played NFL football?

Escalators for rookie contracts or automatic raises would seem to be a decent idea.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
Mandu":34ii03jm said:
UPDATE 1:19 p.m. ET: Several already have asked in the comments and on Twitter whether the Seahawks could simply cut Wilson and sign him to a new contract. The answer is yes, if he clears waivers. But he wouldn’t clear waivers. Indeed, he wouldn’t get past the Chiefs, who hold the top spot in the pecking order — and will continue to hold it through Week Three of the 2013 regular season.

Interesting, but like they said, he'd never clear waivers. Maybe Paul Allen can have Russell wash all his cars,.....at $100,000 a pop.
I just read the comment section, what a bunch of morons. One person said "I think the ‘Hawks should just waive him & take their chances". Ok... CHIEFS Fan we'll cut him. HAHAHAHA what a joke.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
What a diva, plays great for one year and is already looking for a pay raise. :sarcasm_off:

No but seriously his agent is a dummy, new rule is that you can't negotiate until after your third year. and besides he's not the only young player that is getting paid nothing close to what he deserves. Sherman and Kam are both All pro and Pro bowl players getting paid 5th round salary; they should even more angry than he is

Axx

Reaction score
I hope Russ fires his agent, Russell is the last player on Earth i could picture asking for a pay raise.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
"Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Got a call from an irate Bus Cook, agent for Russell Wilson. Called the report that he asked for a new deal "a bunch of bull---t" Ok then"

This story sounded like trumped up B.S. from the start.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
This is just rabble rousing by PFT. It could have been a joke? The agent didn't know? Yeah, right.

PFT wanted hits and comments so it insinuated some things and let the readers imagine and fill in the rest. It works for them.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
More:

"Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Bus Cook, agent for Russell Wilson, said he hasn't had any conversations about a new deal with #Seahawks. "I know you can't do that yet""

pinksheets

Reaction score
Wilson probably just ran out of game film and got demanding.

[youtube]Pj-qBUWOYfE[/youtube]

v1rotv2

Reaction score
This particular contract issue (rookie salary cap) is all on the players, 100% of it. The vets wanted more money and the highly paid rookies were not living up to their premium contracts. Smith did exactly what his players wanted.

As for the reported demand for a new contract, I knew something was amiss. That just did not sound like something RW would allow to happen. Make no mistake RW runs his own career and his agent just gets it done. RW is a "I signed it so I will live by it" kind of guy. He knows he will get his in due time. Besides he already has deals with ESPN and others so he is already in the multi-million plus club.

mikeak

Reaction score
v1rotv2":3bnyfsq4 said:
This particular contract issue (rookie salary cap) is all on the players, 100% of it. The vets wanted more money and the highly paid rookies were not living up to their premium contracts. Smith did exactly what his players wanted.

1) you missed the part that rookies subject to this didn't have a vote...
2) You don't think the owners pushed for this?lol. Of course they did. Look at Bradford's contract and it is a joke

They simply went to far. A RB may have two three great years, suffer for life an never getthe second deal

Status
Not open for further replies.