Wilson's agent asks for raise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well consider that Bradford got 50 million out of the gate I get it, this year is the first year of the new deal and just happened to have a guy like Russell Wilson drafted. If this would have been Jake Locker nobody would have said a word since he is a project still developing but the Titans felt compelled to push him into starting.

Wilson will get his somehow, someway, the CBA contract is for what is the norm, we already know Wilson is an anomoly as far as whats considered normal.

drdiags

Reaction score
Mortenson was the original source I thought. PFT just doing what they do by taking other's reports and putting their spin on it. Interesting business model that has worked for Florio.

Foghawk

Reaction score
The Radish":15b44r98 said:
BTW who would think we could cancel his contract, get him past waivers, and resign him. Jesus Christ how dumb would you have to be??

Timmy Ruskell? Nah, not even he is that inept.

Sturm

Reaction score
How about he just plays out the goddam contract he signed.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1vw3bnh7 said:
Just sign DangeRuss to several high paid endorsement deals. That shouldn't be too much of an issue for PA
Paul Allen says to Levi's CEO, We got us this kid who likes to wear Levi Jeans, and I like that association blah blah blah, and so I want to fianacially endorse the endorsement,blah blah blah because he is after all, an icon here in Seattle, so here's a little something that will ensure that he'll be happy with the pushing of your product,blah blah blah so please pass it on.
There's ALWAYS a way around contractural legalities, just ask any Scheister Lawyer with a sharp pencil

Rafi

Reaction score
Just give Wilson a Microsoft endorsement deal for a few million an call it good.

chris98251

Reaction score
Vulcan can more then help him out in some capacity I would think if they chose to, or simply say go down to Lake Washington and find a house to Rent we will foot your per diem and relocation expenses.

The Radish

Reaction score
mikeak":3aygq8o6 said:
v1rotv2":3aygq8o6 said:
This particular contract issue (rookie salary cap) is all on the players, 100% of it. The vets wanted more money and the highly paid rookies were not living up to their premium contracts. Smith did exactly what his players wanted.

1) you missed the part that rookies subject to this didn't have a vote...
2) You don't think the owners pushed for this?lol. Of course they did. Look at Bradford's contract and it is a joke

They simply went to far. A RB may have two three great years, suffer for life an never getthe second deal

The biggest part of this deal is when you sign on with the NFL you agreed for the NFL & NFLPA to run your life,,,end of story.

So no legal stuff outside of football has any bearing on anything. Fair/unfair its a typical deal where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

No sense talking about what is legal and what isn't cause the NFL decides what is legal and what isn't.

I didn't say its right that rookies are caught in this but it is what it is. Also if he was a linebacker picked in later rounds you wouldn't be having this conversation.

:les:

p.s. you are right he could have refused to sign on. Then instead of being a starting QB he's be working on his MA somewhere.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I have s hard time buying this story. I don't care how credible the source. Cook isnt some yahoo that just fell off the turnip truck in Yakima.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I have s hard time buying this story. I don't care how credible the source. Cook isnt some yahoo that just fell off the turnip truck in Yakima.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
The NFLPA doesn't care so much about rookies, when they renegotiated the CBA it was all about protecting veterans.

The reason they accepted a rookie cap is they knew more money would go to veterans.

The reason they accepted rookies being stuck in their current contracts is that they knew teams would have more money to pay unrestricted free agents.

mikeak

Reaction score
The NFL has a congressional exception. While it is easy to say nothing else matters they are not immune to lawsuits. The NFLPA could be sued for negotiations against future members and they could both be sued for collaborating against a group if players to be. I truly do believe that we will see someone like RW or Sherman have two fantastic seasons get blown to pieces and then come back an sue the league (sorry for using Sehawk players as examples but couldn't think of others right now)

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
pehawk":zmybhf8c said:
It's REALLY messed up in a sport where careers can end in a second, with no guarenteed contracts, there's rules NOT allowing renegotiations.

Que the jealous dummy who cries "but I dont make that type of money so Wilson should be happy with the contract he has already"; 3...2...1

That's what "own occupation" disability insurance is for. Without a doubt Russell probably has a disability insurance policy which would pay him more than 300,000 a year if he can't play QB. that number probably can go up to more than a million now. There are guarantees - people just have to be smart about it.

I am not saying he doesn't deserve more and that he should be happy with what he is being paid but a contract is a contract. He is the exception as to why the system is the way it is. The CBA is created in such a way to mitigate the risks of rookies to teams.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
DavidSeven":e55hzzs7 said:
"Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Got a call from an irate Bus Cook, agent for Russell Wilson. Called the report that he asked for a new deal "a bunch of bull---t" Ok then"

This story sounded like trumped up B.S. from the start.
That's what I thought when I first heard about it, and I haven't heard or read anything to the contrary.

It's kinda amazing how it started a relatively huge discussion.

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
Man its nice having wilson, sherman, and kam all playing for around 1 million dollars a year combined.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
A little different because it's NBA but those saying Paul Allen should hook Russell up with a deal might want to remember this.

http://www.examiner.com/article/smith-s ... mberwolves

Russell will be getting plenty of money from endorsements if Bus Cook is doing his job and as long as he's healthy he'll get paid as soon as the Seahawks can do it in a legitimate way. Trying to sneak around the system could ruin our up and coming club so not worth it in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Let's not forget both Russell and his wife got big checks for hocking jeans.

If any player out there can be categorized as just happy to be here, it's Russ. Somehow I just don't think he is going to ever hold out for a big payday. Just another for us to be very happy about out new QB.

Now, his agent? Meh.

SeahawkAce

Reaction score
Come on people their are more ways to compensate someone than paying them what a contract states. I'm sure Paul Allen is looking at homes in the area that they can move the Wilson family into. I'm sure they will pony up for any airline travel that Russ and his family needs. Probably a new car or two, leased of course. Their are many different things the Team can do here than just write in a contract that they are going to pay him "X" amount of dollars per year. I'm sure the team is assisting him in locking down endorsement deals as we speak because not only would he be endorsing a product but putting his face out there in advertisement means he is also advertising the team and the league. I expect Wilson to be a new face of the league in the next few years. Much like Blake Griffin has become for the NBA and the Clippers.

mikeak

Reaction score
SeahawkAce":1v4us7yz said:
Come on people their are more ways to compensate someone than paying them what a contract states. I'm sure Paul Allen is looking at homes in the area that they can move the Wilson family into. I'm sure they will pony up for any airline travel that Russ and his family needs. Probably a new car or two, leased of course. Their are many different things the Team can do here than just write in a contract that they are going to pay him "X" amount of dollars per year. I'm sure the team is assisting him in locking down endorsement deals as we speak because not only would he be endorsing a product but putting his face out there in advertisement means he is also advertising the team and the league. I expect Wilson to be a new face of the league in the next few years. Much like Blake Griffin has become for the NBA and the Clippers.

Not picking on you per say but many have posted similiar opinions to this

Do you guys think that the NFL is a league run by idiots??? OK well never mind don't answer that :)

My point is they look at this stuff - you cannot provide benefits and not count that money. Ask the Saints organization what happens when you provide additional benefits for performance :) - whatever you think that was part of the reasons for suspension regardless of the intent to injury. Paul Allen cannot have his hand into anything related to paying for RW outside of his job. If he does then it will be scrutinized and the only way it flies will be if it is inline with what others are paid etc. So if Microsoft already hires others and pays $500K for promotions fine then then RW could get a similiar deal. Giving him $2 milliion won't fly. Free cars and trips on the side - count it as salary

Now assisting him with getting deal - sure they could be in on that but pretty sure his agent and managers want to handle all that to make sure they get their cut :)

Status
Not open for further replies.