Direct TV questions

grizbob

Reaction score
Largefarva, you've got 9 months to figure it out. Time is on your side :th2thumbs:

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
12HawkFan":xzo5obv5 said:
Why not get it over your phone line?

Qwest has been trying to sell me DTV service via the phone line, just like internet access, for years, why not you?

Just FYI here, even if you get the DTV service thru the phone company it is still DTV and requires a dish. It just bundles the bill w/ your phone bill usually w/ some kind of discount.

Also, if you really wanted the Sunday ticket online offering and did not care about paying for the tv part and not having it then you could do it. You would just have to find a local installer that would set you up probably w/ a tripod setup that you could take down and store in the closet. If you have a trailer or RV, you could even use it for camping or what ever.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The Radish":1zj4yux4 said:
Largent80":1zj4yux4 said:
I made the switch to Directv this year, got a free year of Sunday Ticket, but we have a dish. Although it is on top of the building we can't even see it.
They can be pretty crafty with installation, you should check with them about placement.

Which in Southern California is great. But those of us with Dishes in winter zones want them where you can knock the snow off!

We are on our second trip with Dish, had them for years but had little trouble with snow. It seems the HD dishes are at a different angle since we had some trouble several times this year after rarely having it the last time we had Dish.

No way I'd have Direct TV just personal don't like them. But I've talked to them and Dish about what to do with snow problems that block signals.

If someone told you use PAM please don't, both dish people say that makes a sticky mess. One friend of mine has heat tape on his and that works pretty well but if its wet fast falling snow its pretty slow to work. Have had the dish/direct people suggest ski wax but am told that has to be put on warm/hot. Anyone here know about that?

I know that next summer when its warm I'm wanting to do something I hope will help. I'm getting pretty old to be out there with my mop trying to knock snow off the dish. lol

:th2thumbs:

They do make a heating pad that you can stick to the dish but requires power to it. These work very good w/ a thermo sensor that comes on at freezing and keeps snow off dish. I seen a guy in the Mt. Shasta area w/ one where they get several feet a year and he raved about it. There is also canvas covers made for them but snow can still build up on them and cause problems much like the old trash bag over the dish trick.

Paschtorian

Reaction score
I've been a "Sunday Ticket" subscriber since 1985, and MY suggestion,.....

......is to hold-out for a free season (as a new subscriber).

Hands down.

Go for the DVR, go for the HD, go for the whole Magilla.

Just go for DirecTV. Period.

Next year (for the Seahawks), will be epic.

taz291819

Reaction score
I work in the television broadcast business, so I now the FCC rules very well.

It doesn't matter if you own or are renting, as long as you have access to the southern skies, you can install a dish. This area cannot be on common property, it has to be on what your own or rent. If you rent, you do have to abide by your contract, such as, no drilling, no holes, etc.

There are many ways around the no drilling, no holes parts. Straps, clamps, and such do a wonderful job.

No HOA nor apartment rules can keep you from getting a dish, as long as it's on your rented/owned property.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Every single year I go through this same dilemma, and it's just ridiculous. For some of us, we are willing to pay through the teeth to see live games but we are happy with cable or whatever other option we have. I don't want to switch my provider, install a satellite, and go through that hassle for something I should be able to pay for separately.

If the NFL wants to make money - fine. Charge me $20, $30, hell even $50 per game and I'll probably still pay to watch them live on my computer. NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV is about as crappy as the fact that you can't get a Coke at Taco Bell, only Pepsi.

2ndRowSista

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":3jlg2czp said:
Every single year I go through this same dilemma, and it's just ridiculous. For some of us, we are willing to pay through the teeth to see live games but we are happy with cable or whatever other option we have. I don't want to switch my provider, install a satellite, and go through that hassle for something I should be able to pay for separately.

If the NFL wants to make money - fine. Charge me $20, $30, hell even $50 per game and I'll probably still pay to watch them live on my computer. NFL Sunday Ticket on Direct TV is about as crappy as the fact that you can't get a Coke at Taco Bell, only Pepsi.

My thoughts exactly! AH I'm assuming you're on TWC like me in Bastrop, I even called and got the NFL Network package they were promoting and was told every game would be shown every week - I told them it was impossible since there was only 3 channels dedicated to the NFL Network and 1 was Red Zone highlights only. Of course they were wrong, they had no idea what they were selling.

osprey6

Reaction score
The problem I had when I was an apartment dweller was the long axis of the building was dead on the azimuth need to see the satellite, so no place to install, and line of sight was blocked by heavy trees/big hill in any event. I even payed for a guy to come out and do a site survey. Now that I am in a house, got the whole kit and caboodle installed. HD, DVR, all sports packages. So cool to watch press pass and all access from 2,500 miles away on RSNW. Can often watch postgame shows from other cities as well, though some are inexplicably blacked out.

And the best part is that I pay about $6.50 a month for the it (special employee deal, my mother works for one of their billing contractors.)

DericLee

Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread, so not sure if any of this has been said.

1) As long as you have a line of site you can put the dish anywhere, that includes at the end of a stick in a bucket of concrete three feet off the ground. So basically if you wanted to not worry about the HOA you could just mount in your back yard on a pole/deck/ect.

2) You can subscribe to the PS3 version of NFL Sunday Ticket, and I'm pretty sure they will let you do this even if you DO have access to direct tv.

3) You can pay a smaller fee to a friend who already has DirecTV and Sunday Ticket to get the PS3 version, i.e. the current subscriber can pay a discount rate for PS3 Sunday Ticket access(that you reimburse for) that he/she will then give you the credentials to so you can log in and watch on your own.

4) I did read about mounting in unaccessible places and the concern during winter months with snow, you can purchase a cheap dish heater that mounts on the back and keeps the snow from sticking, easy to buy, easy to install.