Gerald Hodges and Sean Porter

kearly

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of this year's "fast" LB group, but Hodges and Porter are among the exceptions (I figured this deserved it's own thread).

[youtube]aH9xVNuxwC4[/youtube]

Hodges' speed rates just barely above average, I'm not sure he'd be fast enough for Pete's tastes, but he's a very complete linebacker. A poor man's CJ Mosely.

[youtube]pcH-tZQJtck[/youtube]

Porter impresses me more and more as I watch him. He's fast, tall, good length, instinctive, and "looks the part" of an NFL LB. He is a more than capable pass rusher and A&M dropped him into coverage a lot, which indicates they like his ability there. Like Hodges, he's a well rounded LB that can do basically anything you ask of him. Porter had a very productive 2011 season as a pass rusher (9.5 sacks as a 3-4 OLB). He played in a 4-3 during the 2012 season.

cover-2

Reaction score
This is the first look I have had at Hodges and he looks like he could be a good fit for weak-side LB on our defense. Porter on the other hand I'm undecided. I have watched him a couple of times this year and thought he was a too finesse and he did not look like a relentless player. But, his speed and athleticism really show up on this tape.

U of Connecticut (OLB) Sio Moore is a player I am really high on for us; he should be drafted somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round. Moore is 6-2 235 lbs and he played weak-side LB & some DE. He's good in coverage as well, 11 passes broken up to go along with his 7.5 sacks & 15.5 tackles for loss this year. Here some video of him,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 19b_8U5l-o

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3j8u7lzc said:
What round would you say each is projected to go in?

Round 2-3 range.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":1bbubdd0 said:
therealjohncarlson":1bbubdd0 said:
What round would you say each is projected to go in?

Round 2-3 range.
Right in our wheel house. Hill's replacement might just be on those vids. With KJ being a 3rd year vet and Wags having a full season under his belt, it's time. Have loved Hill during his tenure here, but he is pretty much a solid backup, at best, now, and maybe not even that.

:)

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
cover-2":13079nzp said:
U of Connecticut (OLB) Sio Moore is a player I am really high on for us; he should be drafted somewhere between the 2nd and 4th round. Moore is 6-2 235 lbs and he played weak-side LB & some DE. He's good in coverage as well, 11 passes broken up to go along with his 7.5 sacks & 15.5 tackles for loss this year. Here some video of him,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 19b_8U5l-o

Moore is listed at a 6'0" and 3/4 (6006). He looks short on video. He's fast, and I expect he'll be on the radar, but he gets pushed around a little too easily for my tastes. Good blitzer though. Seemed mismatched in their 3-4 defense.

I don't really get why people think Porter is finesse. He avoids or fights off blocks better than most fast LBs do, including Moore. Really uses those long arms to his advantage. I would be really surprised if Porter wasn't high on Seattle's LB list. He checks off pretty much everything. Speed, instincts, just enough toughness, and length.

Hodges I really like, but I would be mildly surprised if Seattle drafted him. I think they are deadly serious about speed at LB.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well can't blame them for looking at speed if you can teach the rest.

Finding were looking at a lot of players that are 2,3rd or later grades, top end may be limited but is looks as if there is some depth that will drop players down in a lot of areas, WR being one. Probably will be a huge run somewhere on DT's and DE's with all the changes in staffs also. Was looking over several positions and this may be the year of drafting for depth in the league. We seem to have these cycles and this is one. After a year of the QB this draft is like the 3rd feature at a drive in movie. But hell there are a lot of people that watched them and won't admit they watched Destroy All Monsters after their date went to sleep.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Well, some things you can teach (skill), some things you can't (talent). I know talent when I see it (or lack thereof). I wouldn't draft a fast LB who lacks talent. Coaching only helps so much.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Hodges, or his PSU teammates Michael Mauti or DL Jordan Hill would all be good grabs.