Who's the next Brandon Mebane?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:22 pm
  • We got him in the 3rd round, anybody got ideas about some underated defensive tackle types?
    sliv
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 pm
  • Ok I'm just gonna throw some stuff against the wall to see if it sticks...... What about this guy Chris Jones DT Bowling Green.
    12.5 sacks, I know it's bowling green but he played against a few good teams and it's easy to look on Mike Maylocks top 5 DT and think we have to grab one of those guys or were screwed. Mebane wasn't on the Top 5 lists going in the 3rd round
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/482935/chris-jones



    Ok what do you guys think good or bad ...I really don't know I'm just trying to get the ball rolling

    http://www.toledoblade.com/DaveHackenberg/2012/08/27/Disruptive-describes-BG-s-Jones.html

    "For an inside tackle, operating in not so much space, to generate those kinds of numbers, well, that's a rare guy," Clawson said. "He's unblockable at times in practice. If we're working on pass offense and want to throw deep we take him out. We script it on our practice plan -- CJ out. Otherwise, we get nothing accomplished."
    sliv
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:24 pm
  • I haven't really seen a true Mebane clone in this draft. Mebane was a 3-tech 1-tech tweener in terms of size, but what made him good was his lightning fast reaction time and first step. That fast first step is a very rare trait for any DT, especially a big one. Seems like every DT in this class I've seen so far isn't nearly as fast off the snap.

    As far as the guy you linked, looks kind of like Butter Bean. He's not very athletic, all he really has is strength and I'm guessing Red Bryant would probably have 20 sacks playing against those guards.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10910
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:23 am
  • kearly wrote:I haven't really seen a true Mebane clone in this draft. Mebane was a 3-tech 1-tech tweener in terms of size, but what made him good was his lightning fast reaction time and first step. That fast first step is a very rare trait for any DT, especially a big one. Seems like every DT in this class I've seen so far isn't nearly as fast off the snap.

    As far as the guy you linked, looks kind of like Butter Bean. He's not very athletic, all he really has is strength and I'm guessing Red Bryant would probably have 20 sacks playing against those guards.


    Butter Bean comment seems like lazy analysis but this is good I'm gonna copy and paste all of my pre draft threads this year so people are held accountable finally. I am not pounding the table for this guy just keeping an open mind and reminding everyone that every year self appointed draft gurus miss big this time of year. Including the good ones like Mike Maylock who said that Bobby Wagner lacked instincts. Watching the shrine game Maylock was going out of his way to say how good the Seahawks did in the draft, Hawks made alot of people look stupid this year. Jaye Howard was ranked higher the Gregg Scruggs, so come on don't just look at Espn Insider and draft scout rankings and call it a day dig deeper.
    sliv
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 am
  • I was looking at Defensive Tackles today, and when I came across Akeem Spence, I thought of Mebane. Similar body type, and will drop in draft to the third or fourth round because he is a bit of a tweener - too small and lacking the needed strength to play 1-tech in the NFL, but not fast enough or athletic enough to play 3-tech. Mebane has bulked a bit over the last 3+ years so he fits a little better in the 1-tech. Spence lacks the Mebane burst, but has some of the physical characteristics as well as position confusion some complained about Mebane

    User avatar
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 162
    Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 am


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm
  • sliv wrote:Butter Bean comment seems like lazy analysis


    Not a ton to go off of, but that's the impression I got. If there were 10 full games out there to look at I think the lazy comment might be fair. But that isn't the case. Not mad about the lazy comment, just don't think it applies here.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10910
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm
  • Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:Akeem Spence, etc.


    I wish the youtube videos on Mebane were still up from 2006/2007. Dude was DOMINANT and had absolutely no business reaching the late 3rd round. He looked like Warren Sapp at times. Big + explosive.

    I remember Geno Atkins having some pretty amazing performances and he went in the 4th round before becoming maybe the best current 3-tech in the NFL.

    RW and Brady were hardly schmoes in college either.

    I just think that sometimes, groupthink takes over and front offices somehow overlook special players somehow. The difference between Mebane and Spence is that if you watched Mebane you KNEW he would be a fantastic NFL player and wondered what everyone else was missing. I don't really see anything special in Spence per se, I think if he was special like Mebane we'd wouldn't have to guess or project.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10910
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:31 pm
  • sliv wrote:
    kearly wrote:I haven't really seen a true Mebane clone in this draft. Mebane was a 3-tech 1-tech tweener in terms of size, but what made him good was his lightning fast reaction time and first step. That fast first step is a very rare trait for any DT, especially a big one. Seems like every DT in this class I've seen so far isn't nearly as fast off the snap.

    As far as the guy you linked, looks kind of like Butter Bean. He's not very athletic, all he really has is strength and I'm guessing Red Bryant would probably have 20 sacks playing against those guards.


    Butter Bean comment seems like lazy analysis but this is good I'm gonna copy and paste all of my pre draft threads this year so people are held accountable finally. I am not pounding the table for this guy just keeping an open mind and reminding everyone that every year self appointed draft gurus miss big this time of year. Including the good ones like Mike Maylock who said that Bobby Wagner lacked instincts. Watching the shrine game Maylock was going out of his way to say how good the Seahawks did in the draft, Hawks made alot of people look stupid this year. Jaye Howard was ranked higher the Gregg Scruggs, so come on don't just look at Espn Insider and draft scout rankings and call it a day dig deeper.

    Write this down in your little diary, too, I think this guy sucks.
    Just kidding, but a 2 minute highlight video doesn't do much. Where can I find some game footage? I tried to find anything else on the guy, he was the 28th rated DT in the 2013 class(according to NFL draftscout for CBS) and ALL MAC defensive player. 41 tackles seems a bit low for some hidden phenom, and I have to guess he racked his 12 sacks agaisnt a steady diet of MAC size guards.
    I would bet dimes to dollars he is an UDFA if he gets signed at all.

    Besides, sliv, you did say you were throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks. Y U pissy now?
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11004
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm
  • Will Sutton ASU
    2013-2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    Chawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1320
    Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am
    Location: corner of 40th & plum


Re: Who's the next Brandon Mebane?
Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:
    sliv wrote:
    kearly wrote:I haven't really seen a true Mebane clone in this draft. Mebane was a 3-tech 1-tech tweener in terms of size, but what made him good was his lightning fast reaction time and first step. That fast first step is a very rare trait for any DT, especially a big one. Seems like every DT in this class I've seen so far isn't nearly as fast off the snap.

    As far as the guy you linked, looks kind of like Butter Bean. He's not very athletic, all he really has is strength and I'm guessing Red Bryant would probably have 20 sacks playing against those guards.


    Butter Bean comment seems like lazy analysis but this is good I'm gonna copy and paste all of my pre draft threads this year so people are held accountable finally. I am not pounding the table for this guy just keeping an open mind and reminding everyone that every year self appointed draft gurus miss big this time of year. Including the good ones like Mike Maylock who said that Bobby Wagner lacked instincts. Watching the shrine game Maylock was going out of his way to say how good the Seahawks did in the draft, Hawks made alot of people look stupid this year. Jaye Howard was ranked higher the Gregg Scruggs, so come on don't just look at Espn Insider and draft scout rankings and call it a day dig deeper.

    Write this down in your little diary, too, I think this guy sucks.
    Just kidding, but a 2 minute highlight video doesn't do much. Where can I find some game footage? I tried to find anything else on the guy, he was the 28th rated DT in the 2013 class(according to NFL draftscout for CBS) and ALL MAC defensive player. 41 tackles seems a bit low for some hidden phenom, and I have to guess he racked his 12 sacks agaisnt a steady diet of MAC size guards.
    I would bet dimes to dollars he is an UDFA if he gets signed at all.

    Besides, sliv, you did say you were throwing it against the wall to see if it sticks. Y U pissy now?


    Because dude comps more to Mike Martin, I mean butter bean really???? Having said that I didn't watch this guy like I did Russell last year. I really just looked for the first DT on the TFL and Sack list, then took about 10 min to surf around to see what I could find about him. Then posted here only to get the standard to cool for school .net brush off... I have no idea about this guy but I think he will be in the Texas vs the Nation game and at the combine so we will have more data soon. Look at this post about him at football futures in November, they were just helpfull said he was an interesting prospect and were like lets see.......

    I've been trying to find video on him for like 6 months. And I'm glad you made this thread and reminded me he is on TV tonight.
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14993799

    Anyway it comes down to if you want be helpfull I got you cool, if you want to be self important I got you too..... however you want to do it. I will say that every year there is some Brandon Mebane or Alfred Morris or Russell Wilson or Richard Sherman or John Randle lets guess who it is and try to find him. It's easy to look at espn insider or draft scout's top 5 then form an opinion but I am almost certain there is a good to great player being overlooked this year because it happens every year in the NFL.
    sliv
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 pm




It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests