FA 3-tech candidates

ayy208

Reaction score
Hello .net. long time reader here but first time poster. Like many of you, I believe that an upgrade to the 3 tech position is our most pressing need this off-season. After quickly perusing the list of FAs, some names that intrigued me are:

Henry Melton (CHI)
Randy Starks (MIA)
Richard Seymour (OAK)
Sedrick Ellis (NO)

Id like to retain Jason Jones, I think he is a good rotational lineman, for the right price. Thoughts? Look forward to posting here!

OP
OP
A

ayy208

Reaction score
Starks or Melton would be awesome but I think they'd both cost an arm and a leg, especially Melton. I haven't seen many saints games so I don't know how Ellis has played lately. I know he was very highly touted coming out of USC. (Of course, the USC connection thing seems to matter little to Pete). I'm just wondering if we could bring him here on the cheap and see if he could turn his career around here. Wouldnt be the first career reclamation project we took on

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Melton would be my first choice as he may cost a bit less and is the youngest of the bunch. But I would also be very happy with Starks as well!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
You all are pretty funny..

Of course they are going to be expensive.
They, the QB, LT are probably going to be the most expensive part of your team.
Want a cheap 3-tech candidate?? why bother it won't help.

Dump Flynn's Salary, gain some cap space. We probably have as much cap space as we will ever have.
The one thing this team needs is that dominant 3-tech.. Melton or the Miami guy and none will be cheap.
Spend the money and we win the SB.
Don't and we will be contenders.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'd take Starks and not worry about the price. Can't put a price on winning the Super Bowl and I think the biggest move towards reaching that goal is finding an active, pass rushing defensive tackle.

Pete and John have shown that they're amazing at working the draft so any talent we lose in 3 years because of salary cap issues can be easily replaced with cheap young players.

Go for the Super Bowl now, regardless of price.

The Radish

Reaction score
Gentlemen we are not going to turn the main forum into a draft/free agent forum.

People that want this person or that needs to post it in the NFL Forum

NYCoug

Reaction score
I really hope that the Bears fall asleep at the wheel this offseason and fail to franchise Melton. I think he's the guy this team has been looking for for a long time and I think the Seahawks would be all over him. If they do tag him, then I think you look at Starks. After watching Starks help destroy the Hawks O-Line in the Miami game, I've seen enough to know that Starks is the real deal. I don't think he'll come that much cheaper, or for that much shorter of a deal, than Melton. Versatile DT's like Starks who can shut down the run and anchor a pass rush by collapsing the pocket with regularity are at a premium, especially when it might be their last chance to break the bank in free agency.

Whether it's Starks or Melton, the Hawks will likely have to break the bank. It'd be worth it in my opinion. I'd prefer Melton because he seems like the PC/JS type of guy. Athletic, young, fast, strong, and with tons of potential. He would fit the mold of Sidney Rice/Zach Miller "accelerate the process" type signings. Plus, we know how much JS loves guys who have played different positions in their lives, many people forget that Henry Melton was used as a running back at Texas when he arrived to Austin.

[youtube]W9T9AQ1fA6I[/youtube]

If you get Melton, the rest of the pieces start to fall into place. Keep Jones for peanuts because he'd make an excellent backup for Melton and might have a bounce back year. As a backup he will be relied upon less, can make more of an impact, and might not get so dinged up. I'd keep Branch as well. He and Mebane would create problems for teams at the other DT spot. Round out that group with the winner of a Clinton McDonald/Jaye Howard battle in camp and you've got a pack of 5 DT's that's pretty solid and versatile within the system.

Doing all this allows you to add a weapon for your biggest weapon to play with. Yup, DeAndre Hopkins in the 1st round. Just pray that the draft "word" on him stays mum.

Getting all of this done, financially, would probably take moving Matt Flynn but to me solving the 3-tech problem is more important than worrying about our backup quarterback. Deal Flynn, shed his salary, draft a guy like Matt Scott.

Bottom line, whatever they do, I think the Seahawks are going to be VERY AGGRESSIVE this off-season. I fully expect them to have a "Toronto Blue Jays" type of offseason. Put it this way, by the time training camp rolls around in the summer, Vegas and everyone else a like will be talking about how the Seahawks are probably the heavy favorite to win the Super Bowl in Jersey.

olyfan63

Reaction score
:13:
That's why Flynn is gone, for whatever value gets us closer, and DL (DT) that can collaps the pocket is by far our biggest need.

kf3339

Reaction score
NYCoug":26qd2kmz said:
I really hope that the Bears fall asleep at the wheel this offseason and fail to franchise Melton. I think he's the guy this team has been looking for for a long time and I think the Seahawks would be all over him. If they do tag him, then I think you look at Starks. After watching Starks help destroy the Hawks O-Line in the Miami game, I've seen enough to know that Starks is the real deal. I don't think he'll come that much cheaper, or for that much shorter of a deal, than Melton. Versatile DT's like Starks who can shut down the run and anchor a pass rush by collapsing the pocket with regularity are at a premium, especially when it might be their last chance to break the bank in free agency.

Whether it's Starks or Melton, the Hawks will likely have to break the bank. It'd be worth it in my opinion. I'd prefer Melton because he seems like the PC/JS type of guy. Athletic, young, fast, strong, and with tons of potential. He would fit the mold of Sidney Rice/Zach Miller "accelerate the process" type signings. Plus, we know how much JS loves guys who have played different positions in their lives, many people forget that Henry Melton was used as a running back at Texas when he arrived to Austin.

[youtube]W9T9AQ1fA6I[/youtube]

If you get Melton, the rest of the pieces start to fall into place. Keep Jones for peanuts because he'd make an excellent backup for Melton and might have a bounce back year. As a backup he will be relied upon less, can make more of an impact, and might not get so dinged up. I'd keep Branch as well. He and Mebane would create problems for teams at the other DT spot. Round out that group with the winner of a Clinton McDonald/Jaye Howard battle in camp and you've got a pack of 5 DT's that's pretty solid and versatile within the system.

Doing all this allows you to add a weapon for your biggest weapon to play with. Yup, DeAndre Hopkins in the 1st round. Just pray that the draft "word" on him stays mum.

Getting all of this done, financially, would probably take moving Matt Flynn but to me solving the 3-tech problem is more important than worrying about our backup quarterback. Deal Flynn, shed his salary, draft a guy like Matt Scott.

Bottom line, whatever they do, I think the Seahawks are going to be VERY AGGRESSIVE this off-season. I fully expect them to have a "Toronto Blue Jays" type of offseason. Put it this way, by the time training camp rolls around in the summer, Vegas and everyone else a like will be talking about how the Seahawks are probably the heavy favorite to win the Super Bowl in Jersey.

:13: Get either one. The time is now for this team to reach and win the Super Bowl! They are potentially the last main piece to our defensive issues.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Any of you who have access to NFL rewind need to watch Desmond Bryant from the Raiders. 4 year player with low miles who really showed up the last two years.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3jgk8f6q said:
Any of you who have access to NFL rewind need to watch Desmond Bryant from the Raiders. 4 year player with low miles who really showed up the last two years.

One of my best friends is a Raiders fan and he's been raving about Desmond Bryant and how he's worried the Raiders might not be able to keep him because of the state of their cap at the moment. Sounds like he might be a cheaper option than Melton with almost equal upside. Also has a Schneider connection with McKenzie being the GM in Oakland.

Do you think he's better than Melton, Scotte? How bout as a pass rusher?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NYCoug":748axjli said:
Scottemojo":748axjli said:

One of my best friends is a Raiders fan and he's been raving about Desmond Bryant and how he's worried the Raiders might not be able to keep him because of the state of their cap at the moment. Sounds like he might be a cheaper option than Melton with almost equal upside. Also has a Schneider connection with McKenzie being the GM in Oakland.

He is a true 3 tech, 6'6" 310. He has some jason Jones to his game, but can play 3 downs if needed (we wouldn't need him to unless injury dictated so.)

Nasty power player for a tall guy. Went to Harvard.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Scottemojo":239i92er said:
NYCoug":239i92er said:
Scottemojo":239i92er said:

He is a true 3 tech, 6'6" 310. He has some jason Jones to his game, but can play 3 downs if needed (we wouldn't need him to unless injury dictated so.)

Nasty power player for a tall guy. Went to Harvard.

Thanks for the info my friend, much appreciated.

I'm gonna have to check him out. The fact that he want to Harvard and that he and Red could team up to be the "Bryant Brothers" is enough to make me want him as a Seahawk! Throw in the fact that PFF has him as their highest rated interior lineman slated for FA and that's even more of a reason haha