Seahawk Run Defense

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Early in the year, this was a strength. However, as the season wore on (especially at ened of regular season and playoffs) the run defense was pathetic. It seemed as though they couldn't stop anyone. Was it a scheme change that caused this decline? Why did run defense go from one of the best to being really bad in a matter of few weeks? I hope JS and PC address this during the offseason. It may be a re-haul of the DL to fix but for a team that lack's pass rushers there is no excuse for it being this bad on run defense. Especially one that prides itself in being a top 5 defense.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Red's foot injury was a big difference. He couldn't hold his position like he did last year. He just wasn't as stout.

Hopefully, he comes back 100% next season.

Axx

Reaction score
only game where interior runs were killing us was against the 49ers but we fixed that problem. I feel like Red Bryant was our weakness when hes at DE. Hes pretty slow and i noticed especially in the redskins games that he is easy to hook. You could also see this on alot of teams that began expoiting our outside Run Defense like Buffalo and Minnisota.

Atlanta destroyed us with the interior runs also though, That mightve had something to do with irvin getting driven 5 yards back each play.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":13n9qjhf said:
Red's foot injury was a big difference. He couldn't hold his position like he did last year. He just wasn't as stout.

It was amazing that Red could play at all, Planter facitous is very painful (sp)

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3dnmu0sz said:

While that may be true...I believe there is a bigger issue than just Red's foot. And if Red is playing with a hurt foot, then I question the defensive and PC coaching. They should not have played him. Let him get 100% and be more effective. To have one player be the reason of whether the defense is strong or weak is not a trait of a good defense. Definitely need to get quality guys so they don't have to rely on one player. That's absurd.

Veilside

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1j5k0d5s said:
onanygivensunday":1j5k0d5s said:

While that may be true...I believe there is a bigger issue than just Red's foot. And if Red is playing with a hurt foot, then I question the defensive and PC coaching. They should not have played him. Let him get 100% and be more effective. To have one player be the reason of whether the defense is strong or weak is not a trait of a good defense. Definitely need to get quality guys so they don't have to rely on one player. That's absurd.

I would agree with you except for the fact that it was the playoffs. If Red wasn't playing that would mean Branch would play DE opposite Irvin, and with Jones out, Scruggs would probably start at DT. Why weaken 2 positions in such an important game? It's true we lacked DL depth.....once again.

Latest posts