It's Official... We lost in ATL because...

hawker84

Reaction score
can we just agree that the injuries to the D line, and the lack of production from the D line that was in there was horrible on all accounts.. Rush D and putting pressure on Ryan.... couldn't stop the run, couldn't put pressure on him to force throws early , mess up his timing... we kept white and Jones in check most of that game., but ryan had all day to find Gonzales...

and turner looked like gore rushing the ball.. not a good recipe for victory.

grizbob

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":5ki5oxin said:
After watching the niners beat the falcons last night I have concluded that we lost because we had no pass rush. We did a lot of the same things that the 49ers did defensively to stop Matt Ryan and company but the difference is the pass rush. Matt Ryan took some big shots in the game, especially late in the 4th quarter. We had zero sacks if I remember correctly. That is no way to beat a top level passing attack. We really need to find some pass rush in the draft.

Another entry into my "NO SHIT!" file :roll:

kearly

Reaction score
Pass rush was a huge problem for us, but it wasn't much better for SF. Keep in mind that Ryan threw for almost 150 more yards against SF than he did against us.

I think the main reason we lost is because we were down by 20 at halftime whereas the 49ers were only down by 10. Coming back from 20 is almost impossible, it's a damn miracle that we almost won. The 49ers got off to a bad start. The Seahawks got off to a disaster start.

In terms of the specific aspects that lost us the game, I think run defense (poor tackling) is right up there with pass rush. I think luck played a factor as well, it's pretty unusual to rack up 193 first half yards and score 0 points. Even the Falcon's players couldn't believe they led 20-0 at halftime. Seattle finished with 28 points on almost 500 yards of offense. In the past they'd often scored in the 40s and 50s when putting up that kind of yardage.

Seattle has problems to fix, but I think they were absolutely good enough to win it all this year. Really a shame that they underachieved so much in that Falcons game only to just barely lose.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
We were not in prevent at the end of the ATL game

I agree with Kearly. We started in a deep hole and that really created a mountain to overcome. Maybe doing what Walsh and his protégés did. Script some plays for Wilson. I think we can count on our offense to get us ahead some of the time.

A bigger push up the middle that we expected Jones to provide is what I see as missing.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Have to go with Kearly here. I think the combo of the east coast travel, second week of long travel stacked on top of a 10am start was the difference. If we even get rolling in the late second quarter we win that game but going into the half down 20 was nearly impossible.

There are things that could have helped us alot in my opinion and most can be attributed to Fedex field. Losing Clemons was huge but maybe even bigger was losing Houshka (spelling) in that the final kick off being a touch back vs them starting near they're 40 was enormous with under 30 seconds to play plus it was likely a big momentum boost for Atlanta to believe they could make it another 30 yards or so to get into field goal range. Lynch hurting his ankle at Fedex was obviously a problem also. We had no running game and on top of that Lynch was taking himself out of the game on huge 3rd and ones.

Losing Jones obviously hurt but I don't know that it was a difference maker unless you package it with losing Clemons. All in all I would have to say thank to Dan Schneider for producing a disaster of a playing field that not only cost him his QB but I believe contributed largely to our loss the following week.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":3kdu6jq9 said:
Pass rush was a huge problem for us, but it wasn't much better for SF. Keep in mind that Ryan threw for almost 150 more yards against SF than he did against us.

I think the main reason we lost is because we were down by 20 at halftime whereas the 49ers were only down by 10. Coming back from 20 is almost impossible, it's a damn miracle that we almost won. The 49ers got off to a bad start. The Seahawks got off to a disaster start.

In terms of the specific aspects that lost us the game, I think run defense (poor tackling) is right up there with pass rush. I think luck played a factor as well, it's pretty unusual to rack up 193 first half yards and score 0 points. Even the Falcon's players couldn't believe they led 20-0 at halftime. Seattle finished with 28 points on almost 500 yards of offense. In the past they'd often scored in the 40s and 50s when putting up that kind of yardage.

Seattle has problems to fix, but I think they were absolutely good enough to win it all this year. Really a shame that they underachieved so much in that Falcons game only to just barely lose.

You are right about the 20 point deficit after the first half. But in reality that to me is on PC more than the team. There just is no excuse why we didn't have at least 3 points and probably 6 with two FG's. But going for it at 4th and 1 was just stupid. We were only down by 13 and a FG cuts the lead to 10 and gets us on the board. That was a momentum shift for both teams. They took that turn over and turned it into a TD on their possession. Also the messed up FG at the end of the 1st half is on PC for not making it clear to RW and Bevell that if the play is not there throw it out of bounds and kick the FG. That sack should not have even been allowed to happen.

At least that is how I see it.

formido

Reaction score
Ah, yes. I would have added the 10 AM start to my earlier list. The effect is too statistically well established to be ignored. I think the tackling would have been better and I don't think we go down 20 in the first half at a normal start time.

zhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2x7iejel said:

i think this as well. very well put.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kearly":181m9ua7 said:

After watching the Patriots go the entire 2nd half with zero points just demonstrates that even the best teams can go "flat". Next year, we'll improve in several areas, but then may retreat in other areas.

kmedic

Reaction score
One thing for sure, SF has a better front 7 than ours. Let's face it, they are better at DE, DT, and particularly at LB. Our secondary is better than theirs but not by much. Pete and JS need to continually bring in more talent at those specific positions and let the competition play itself out. Eventually I think we can get to SF's level, but right now I notice a clear difference just watching as a fan.

purpleworld

Reaction score
Frostbyte":1el6i2wt said:
This is why I think losing DT J. Jones to IR was just as big, if not bigger, a loss than losing DE C. Clemons to IR.

Jason Jones was a huge disappointment this year....basically a non-factor in games he played!

firebee

Reaction score
Yes... Our pass rush was null and void with Chris Clemons and Jason Jones getting injured, but we lost because we didn't put points on the board 1 of the 2 times we were in the redzone in the first half when Lynch didn't fumble the ball. The hurry up fullback dive on 4th and short was a head-shaker for me. Always try to draw the pre-snap penalty from the defense or call a timeout before hurrying a 4th and short play. I did not like the hurry up FB dive on 4th and 1.

mikeak

Reaction score
I HATE the complaining about going for it in 4th down. All the stats available show that in that area of the field you get in average MORE points going for it there.

With that sai hate the playcall on 3rd and 4th down

drdiags

Reaction score
... how about the team cannot hold a lead? Is that better? Lot of excuses. 41 yds in 15 seconds with a trip to the NFCCG on the line.

mikeak

Reaction score
drdiags":5ppbq59t said:
... how about the team cannot hold a lead? Is that better? Lot of excuses. 41 yds in 15 seconds with a trip to the NFCCG on the line.

Yes but in their defense it was the first time this season somethin like that happened.....

Oh wait

Largent80

Reaction score
Leaving the middle of the field wide open lost us the game because we had it won. Case closed.

Winterfell

Reaction score
I liked how the games showed some contrast between the Seahawks and the 49ers.

Whereas our team struggled a bit with running the ball and stopping the rush, the 49ers had better success in that regards. Their front 7 outperformed our front 7.

The 49ers were able to pressure Matt Ryan, whereas we failed to do so, even though the Clemons and Jones injuries didn't help.

Whereas the 49ers struggled with passing defense, allowing Jones, White, and Gonzalez to go off against them, we were able to contain their big passing threats to a better degree. Our secondary was superior to the 49ers secondary.

Both of our teams started off slow out of the gate against the Falcons, allowing their team to jump to early leads.

Both the Seahawks and 49ers were able to exploit the Falcons mid-field passing defense, leading to both Miller and Davis having big games.

It's really quite remarkable how similar our team and the 49ers are. Similarity breeds contempt, add on to the mix that we're bitter divisional rivals and this matchup will be awesome for years to come. I love that we're the new Ravens-Steelers rivalry.

mikeak

Reaction score
Good points above. Consider that Seahawks beat 49ers with the deep ball both games this year in top of that. Sure stats won't show it for game one but they were beat deep durin the first half many times