is there a place kicker in this draft worth getting.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
With 10 picks this draft I'm thinking we could really use a dominant place kicker that can boot it deep inyo the endzone on every kick off in addition to being a stud foeld goal kicker.

The only problem is I have no idea if there is a guy like that in this upcoming class.

Edit for spelling: can't see the entire screen on cell. Sorry.

sliv

Reaction score
Dustin Hopkins Florida st or Caleb Sturges Forida have big legs and come from big time programs, not sure who is more money in the clutch but I agree we should get a stud 60+ field goal kicker this year.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if we drafted a kicker. Hauschka has been above average. I think he's only missed 4 or 5 kicks in two seasons.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't like Hauschka, can't put my finger on it but he just seems like he's going through the motions. And his leg isn't strong enough. I'd prefer we drafted a kicker late and see how he does. We all saw what a weapon "Legatron" was for St Louis. We need one of those because a better kicker can mean the difference between home field advantage, and playing on the road...again.

sam1313

Reaction score
Legatron missed a few toward the end of the year too though. Not so sure he is a Haushka upgrade either. If Haushka's fine after his injury, I don't really see this as an area of need.

CANHawk

Reaction score
If there's a clear cut upgrade to Haush who's going to hit consistently from 60 like "Legatron" then fine, but other than that Haush is totally serviceable and we need not rush to burn a draft pick on a kicker (not that it would be as bad if we spent a 7th, but I still LOL at Jacksonville and the punter).

People like to point to the lack of kicks going out the back of the end zone as evidence of a weak leg on Haush, but I think those short kicks were by design; kick it a couple yards into the EZ to encourage a run back attempt and make the tackle short of the 20. I remember seeing quite a few opponent drives start on the 15 or so. Our kick coverage was phenomenal IMO. Jeremy Lane is a machine gunner.

kobebryant

Reaction score
True. I love when teams run back kicks against the Hawks. The Hawks special teams are just so badass and you just know someone is getting popped before the 20 and the ball may come out. Especially at home.

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":3n6hlql1 said:
I'd be surprised if we drafted a kicker. Hauschka has been above average. I think he's only missed 4 or 5 kicks in two seasons.
Yeah, but how many did he make over 50?

OP
OP
R

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I might just have a bad taste left over from the last kickoff when Atlanta brought it back to nearly the 40. I know it's wasn't Housh but there seemed like times this year he struggled to kick it deep when it would have been beneficial and I really got the feeling Pete has zero confidence in Housh beyond 50 yards. There were multiple times this year we punted away when a long field goal attempt would have been preferable.

Just thinking out loud I guess. I don't hate Housh, I just think it is an area we could upgrade and the cost of a late round draft pick to bring in a stud kicker seems like a worthwhile investment.

CANHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2mcl8e3w said:
I might just have a bad taste left over from the last kickoff when Atlanta brought it back to nearly the 40. I know it's wasn't Housh but there seemed like times this year he struggled to kick it deep when it would have been beneficial and I really got the feeling Pete has zero confidence in Housh beyond 50 yards. There were multiple times this year we punted away when a long field goal attempt would have been preferable.

Just thinking out loud I guess. I don't hate Housh, I just think it is an area we could upgrade and the cost of a late round draft pick to bring in a stud kicker seems like a worthwhile investment.

Well, 2-3 kickers seem to get drafted every year. We're in a good position as far as needs go and we have losts of picks. if the right guys is there, I wouldn't put it past them to pull the trigger on a kicker...

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3ithunq1 said:
SeaHawk80":3ithunq1 said:
The Fat kid from WSU kicked two from 60+ this year in pullman, thats impressive to me, unfortunately He's a junior.
Heres a link to some choices but I don't really know anything about them

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... ngs/2013/K

Id be down for the fat kid from wsu. Any chance he comes out this year?

Has a kicker ever come out early? Furney is a hell of a kicker with a monster leg, but I'm pretty sure he's going to finish school and get his degree.

Plus he needs to improve his kickoffs if he wants to have any chance in the league.

sliv

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3img9jeo said:
lukerguy":3img9jeo said:
kearly":3img9jeo said:

Yeah, but how many did he make over 50?

That's the problem. Hauschka doesn't have enough leg.

You can totally see that PC has limited confidence in him, man we punted it from the 38 at times!!!! He is a serviceble kicker he is just not a weapon like some of these other guys, btw has he ever kicked a 40 plus game winner???? I can't remember if he has but it doesn't seem like it.