Matt Flynn expected to be cut?

chris98251

Reaction score
Flynn knows our system, were going for it this next year, Wilsons salary low versus Flynns salary still ranks us as a low cost team for QB's. English has stated you can't win a Super Bowl unless you have a top 10 pick at QB in this leage, now he is saying a qualified back up isn't necessary. Dolphins would say shame on you, 49ers had Monatan and Young, I guess that was a waste of cap money also and never paid off. Jeez what would have heppened if Pittsburgh would have had a actual legitimate QB to fill in for Ben when he got hurt this year. A tem in a serious contention position doesn't need a grooming QB, they need someone that can manage and not lose games and have the tools to win if necessary.

English has a lot of good information, I just beleive he has a under appreciation in some cases of QB's and a over confidence on the media declaring others sure fire.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":phd8st0u said:
And, the market for him last year is entirely irrelevant. Last year was the strongest QB class since 1983 (and the CBA incentivizes drafting one of those). Also, that Manning guy.

It's hardly irrelevant. You can call it the strongest class since whenever in hindsight. Nobody was saying that beyond Luck/RGIII pre-draft and only two teams had a shot at those two players. Teams like Cleveland preferred to spend a R1 pick on a 29-year-old despite running a WCO that would appear to suit Flynn. No interest at all. His old coach in Miami didn't sign him and was rolling with Matt Moore it seems had Tannehill not made it to their pick at #8. These points are not irrelevant. People keep preaching the importance of the position. Here was a big name free agent and his market was cold.

So yeah... it could be red hot this year. We'll see in two months. But last year is not irrelevant as we ponder whether he'll get a shot somewhere else via trade.

chris98251":phd8st0u said:
I just beleive he has a under appreciation in some cases of QB's

I appreciate the position completely. Nobody was happier that RW worked out than me. I hated having to watch QB tape over and over again.

But I think Flynn is wildly overrated. I know others don't agree. JMHO.

Largent80

Reaction score
Teams are going to wait for the SB to be over with before making any moves. It gives something to talk about right now, but not worth getting all worked up over.

pinksheets

Reaction score
chris98251":3dfkkork said:
Flynn knows our system, were going for it this next year, Wilsons salary low versus Flynns salary still ranks us as a low cost team for QB's. English has stated you can't win a Super Bowl unless you have a top 10 pick at QB in this leage, now he is saying a qualified back up isn't necessary. Dolphins would say shame on you, 49ers had Monatan and Young, I guess that was a waste of cap money also and never paid off. Jeez what would have heppened if Pittsburgh would have had a actual legitimate QB to fill in for Ben when he got hurt this year. A tem in a serious contention position doesn't need a grooming QB, they need someone that can manage and not lose games and have the tools to win if necessary.

English has a lot of good information, I just beleive he has a under appreciation in some cases of QB's and a over confidence on the media declaring others sure fire.
I don't believe, even slightly, that we're still a Super Bowl team if Matt Flynn is our QB. So why keep him? A top QB being essential has nothing to do with having an above average backup. If your starter goes down, your season is in trouble, and that'd be the same whether or not we're rolling out Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson next year.

I'm 100% in the cut him if you can't trade him camp. We can find someone for cheap to backup Russ and better use that money. Flynn and Russell are very different players, so it's not like we're looking at some sort of smooth transition if we need to call Matt in.

GoHawks

Reaction score
There is another dynamic here that hasn't been mentioned, not having anything to do with other teams interest. But having everything to do with our own interest in keeping him on the roster, aside from the cap$ cost.

It has to do with team dynamics, and how Flynn is handling being in a back-up role going foward, and how that dynamic
effects the team as a whole. Sure, PC/JS have put a positive spin on Flynn, so as not to detract from whatever value may exist in a trade.

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2661nc15 said:
pehawk":2661nc15 said:
And, the market for him last year is entirely irrelevant. Last year was the strongest QB class since 1983 (and the CBA incentivizes drafting one of those). Also, that Manning guy.

It's hardly irrelevant. You can call it the strongest class since whenever in hindsight. Nobody was saying that beyond Luck/RGIII pre-draft and only two teams had a shot at those two players. Teams like Cleveland preferred to spend a R1 pick on a 29-year-old despite running a WCO that would appear to suit Flynn. No interest at all. His old coach in Miami didn't sign him and was rolling with Matt Moore it seems had Tannehill not made it to their pick at #8. These points are not irrelevant. People keep preaching the importance of the position. Here was a big name free agent and his market was cold.

So yeah... it could be red hot this year. We'll see in two months. But last year is not irrelevant as we ponder whether he'll get a shot somewhere else via trade.

Signing Matt Flynn wasn't going to save Holmgren's job. He no longer had the leeway to bring in FA QB's, because, his misses there already had the wagons circling.

Last I checked Philbin had Tannehill's HC as OC. They we're in a rebuilding year. The new CBA actually made it a smarter move to draft Tannehill. I knew before all this that the Dolphins were never going to sign Matt Flynn. I guess Jason Cole never reported it, so you wouldn't have known, but it was obvious to ANYONE reading between the lines it wasn't going to happen, it was never going to happen in Miami. They needed. their TJack, non-threatening bridge type...ya know...Moore. It would've been FLAT DUMB.

The Miami argument is just ignorant or the real world.

bellingerga

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1j0xvzf5 said:
LINK: https://twitter.com/JasonColeYahoo/stat ... 2142918656

"While Seattle has told QB Matt Flynn they are willing to trade him, finding trade partner is problematic because several expect he'll be cut."

Not that surprising.

Not that surprising? I think you and I live on two different planets, not in two different countries.

Surprises the hell out of me when you could get an awesome trade value out of him.

Hold on to Flynn till some team starts panicking that they haven't found the right QB yet, then get some good value.

Cutting him? Nope. That makes no sense to me and would be a huge surprise.

HawkWow

Reaction score
People call Flynn "a career back-up" like he went from team to team, never able to secure a starting slot no matter how badly those teams expected him to start. How many QBs in this league would beat out Rodgers? After Brady's most recent performance, I'd say the answer to that question is... zero.

Now, how many QBs in this league could beat out Wilson? I'm sure he's better today than he was when named the starter, but how much better? Obviously JS and PC saw something in Wilson....and they were obviously correct.

The majority of posters in here have proclaimed there is not one QB in the league they would trade RW for. I am probably in that camp as well.

So, what we know about Flynn is that he has excelled when called upon (vs. NE and Detroit) and got beat out in Seattle's camp by what many apparently believe to be the best QB in the world. I'm not saying Flynn's worthy of a 1st rounder, but I do believe an asterisk belongs next to the description of "career back-up". YMMV.

Jville

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2o81xo3y said:
Jville":2o81xo3y said:
Seattle guaranteed $4 million of Flynn's $5.25 million base salary for 2013. They are also on the hook to write off $4 million of the original $6 million singing bonus. That totals up to $8 million in "dead cap money" they would have to write off if they cut Flynn outright. I fail to see any benefit in that.

$4m is guaranteed but they're paying him $7.25m in total. Cutting him saves $3.25m.
$7.25m is Flynn's scheduled cap cost for 2013. $2m of that is the prorated signing bonus cap hit for 2013 which is charged against the cap regardless of Flynn's roster status. The actual 2013 cap saving available thru cutting Flynn out right would be only $5.25m salary - $4m guarantee = $1.25 million savings. That would get eaten up by a backups contract. Also, there would be an additional $2 million in dead cap money charge against the 2014 cap.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
With this team young, hungry and relatively cheap our Super Bowl push is NEXT YEAR, and unless Flynn sucked in 2012 (all points indicate he did not and that Russell just took the job that should have been his), I do not see us going into next year without him, no matter what we are paying him.

Having a starter QB on the bench and still paying less than most teams for our QB platoon (especially when we cannot get Wilson more money anyway thanks to the CBA) all but guarantees it for me unless we get a very nice trade offer--player or a 3rd round draft pick, minimum.

Besides, who would be our backup?

pehawk

Reaction score
And the "if Tannehill wasn't available they'd go with Moore arguement...." is MADDENING. Ireland and Philbin had a pretty good idea who was going where..it's their job to do that. It's the chance you take, you know, kinda how PC had to calm JS down so he wouldn't take Wilson in round 2.

FFS...

chris98251

Reaction score
pinksheets":dn0xt48i said:
chris98251":dn0xt48i said:

I don't believe, even slightly, that we're still a Super Bowl team if Matt Flynn is our QB. So why keep him? A top QB being essential has nothing to do with having an above average backup. If your starter goes down, your season is in trouble, and that'd be the same whether or not we're rolling out Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson next year.

I'm 100% in the cut him if you can't trade him camp. We can find someone for cheap to backup Russ and better use that money. Flynn and Russell are very different players, so it's not like we're looking at some sort of smooth transition if we need to call Matt in.

Well how well did Green Bay do after Majik man was down, Schieder I'm sure is aware of that situation.

Brunell was there in the event of a injury till the heir was established and the market was ready for him, I see Flynn as the same way. Flynn has shown flashes of being able to win games, has the respect of his team mates and can manage games.

This isn't MADDEN, value in depth is what got us to where we were this year on defense, just as value at WR, RB, and the O- Line, QB is no different. Going cheap at the most important position is asking for trouble, a season ending injury may put us out of the playoffs, or may give Flynn the opportunity he has been waiting for. A couple game injury at an important time with Flynn holding down the fort may be the difference maker of us getting in or getting home field advantage. Being to only 1 Super Bowl in our history I take the value in the event of something happening. Especially with a QB that runs and takes hits on occation. he could pull a hammy, land wrong, take an extra shot etc, thats in addition to any clean or cheap shots running the ball.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
pehawk":rw3i3b7g said:
theENGLISHseahawk":rw3i3b7g said:
pehawk":rw3i3b7g said:

Signing Matt Flynn wasn't going to save Holmgren's job. He no longer had the leeway to bring in FA QB's, because, his misses there already had the wagons circling.

Last I checked Philbin had Tannehill's HC as OC. They we're in a rebuilding year. The new CBA actually made it a smarter move to draft Tannehill. I knew before all this that the Dolphins were never going to sign Matt Flynn. I guess Jason Cole never reported it, so you wouldn't have known, but it was obvious to ANYONE reading between the lines it wasn't going to happen, it was never going to happen in Miami. They needed. their TJack, non-threatening bridge type...ya know...Moore. It would've been FLAT DUMB.

Not to start a fight here, but I have 2 things to rebuttal here;

1) Miami was not guaranteed to draft Tannehill. A) there was nothing set in stone saying they would draft him (mere speculation). B) There was no guarantee he'd be available at their pick.

2) Now debating everybody knew Miami had no real interest, that leaves SEA as the only team to show even mild interest in Flynn, including letting him walk without an offer. So, I'm not sure how this strengthens an argument for how valuable Flynn is.

I am of the mindset that actions speak louder than words, and so far the NFL's actions have shown that Flynn was a 7th rounder and has had minimal interest in the trade market as well as FA. That's based off the reality of what has happened, so far. Does this mean Flynn sucks? Of course not. He could be a successful QB for all we know. But, as of right now, nobody is banging the table for him, which speaks volumes about his perceived value amongst those who get paid to make these types of decisions.

pehawk

Reaction score
I disagree, Chris, I think Flynn's going to be gone. The Seahawks have built a VERY nice reputation with players by doing right by them. Flynn wants to start, they'll do right by him. This tweet was a lure fished out by either JS or Flynn's representation, to do right by him.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Has anyone (Jason Cole) thought about the possibilty of Flynn restructuring? Im in the thinking that Flynn's contract isnt backbreaking and so what if he makes more than #3? R Wilson CAN'T get paid until his rookie deal is over and thats not anyone's fault. During a 16 game season there's a great chance your backup will see playing time. Would you want a rookie or Matt Flynn?

chris98251

Reaction score
Lets see, Irvin was a reach by all the experts, Russell a career back up and could not play at the NFL level, Sherman to big, Lynch a problem, Clemons a throw in player, Brock over the hill, I'm pretty sure all those experts could take a few lessons in evaluations from Schineider and Pete.

pehawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":12g7uh31 said:

1) Miami was not guaranteed to draft Tannehill. A) there was nothing set in stone saying they would draft him (mere speculation). B) There was no guarantee he'd be available at their pick.

Hmm, how did Pete know Russell Wilson would be available in round 3, when JS wanted him in round 2?

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pehawk":131j41fw said:

Just excuses.

"They didn't sign him because it was a crescent moon that night"

But I'm pleased for you that you knew Miami's plans last off-season.

bellingerga":131j41fw said:
Not that surprising? I think you and I live on two different planets, not in two different countries.

Surprises the hell out of me when you could get an awesome trade value out of him.

Hold on to Flynn till some team starts panicking that they haven't found the right QB yet, then get some good value.

Cutting him? Nope. That makes no sense to me and would be a huge surprise.

Awesome trade value? You might be in for a shock unfortunately. Just my take. Same planet.

HawkWow":131j41fw said:
People call Flynn "a career back-up" like he went from team to team, never able to secure a starting slot no matter how badly those teams expected him to start. How many QBs in this league would beat out Rodgers? After Brady's most recent performance, I'd say the answer to that question is... zero.

Now, how many QBs in this league could beat out Wilson? I'm sure he's better today than he was when named the starter, but how much better? Obviously JS and PC saw something in Wilson....and they were obviously correct.

The majority of posters in here have proclaimed there is not one QB in the league they would trade RW for. I am probably in that camp as well.

So, what we know about Flynn is that he has excelled when called upon (vs. NE and Detroit) and got beat out in Seattle's camp by what many apparently believe to be the best QB in the world. I'm not saying Flynn's worthy of a 1st rounder, but I do believe an asterisk belongs next to the description of "career back-up". YMMV.

We can use an asterisk if you want, but he is a career back-up. It's not an unfair description given he's been a back-up for his whole NFL career so far.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
pehawk":cbfeq3ib said:
Mtjhoyas":cbfeq3ib said:

Hmm, how did Pete know Russell Wilson would be available in round 3, when JS wanted him in round 2?

Huh? I'm confused what this has to do with Flynn. I don't think Pete knew, he just took a calculated risk by waiting until R3. Nobody knows exactly where guys will be drafted. They trust their evaluations and whatever info they can dig up and make calculated risks/gambles/decisions (by either drafting early or waiting as long as they are comfortable).

Latest posts