Rumor: Hawks 'highly interested' in acquiring Darrelle Revis

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":18c162ri said:
FlyingGreg":18c162ri said:
What will be interesting is to see how desperate the Jets get to move him.

He's due a seven-figure payment shortly after the new league year opens on March 12th. That could put pressure on the Jets to make a deal. Basically New York has almost no leverage in these talks. They get nothing for him next year and cannot franchise tag him. They're banking on Revis' star quality getting the job done... but they're fighting against teams looking for value and a player demanding crazy money because he wants to put teams off a trade. He know he's 12 months away from being a free agent. He doesn't want to jut negotiate with one team. So he could force a market between teams and then the price comes down even further in terms of compensation. I think the only loser out of all this will be the Jets.

Spot on. I wonder if that means they will accept less than a 1st rounder...?

seahawks875

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2hxvn8kx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2hxvn8kx said:
FlyingGreg":2hxvn8kx said:
That doesn't change the fact we would have two CBs earning ridiculous money, anyway you want to shift it around.

If you front load the Revis deal you do not have two corners earning ridiculous money. If you paid Revis $14m - making him by far the highest paid corner in the league - for both 2013 and 2014, the average you'd be paying for your two corners would be $7.25m each. Are you telling me you wouldn't pay that average for a Revis and Sherman combo?

Let's say Sherman signs a $10m per year deal in 2015 -- again, a massive contract. If you front load the revis deal so he only earns $7m in 2015/16 as a 30/31 year old (he earned $6m in base in 2012) then you're still only paying an average of $8.5m for the two best corners in the league.

Next year Zach Miller will take up $11m. I don't an average of $8m per year each for Sherman/Revis until 2016 is exactly pushing the boat out. You could argue Sherman's rookie deal makes it a bargain.

You are missing my point. It's not just Revis and Sherman....it's Wilson, Thomas, Okung, etc. They are all on rookie deals now.

Can we afford them both? Yes - but at the expense of losing other key pieces. And again, the secondary is not the problem on this defense. If Revis puts on 130 pounds and can penetrate the A and B gaps, then I'll be more excited.

This isn't fantasy football. We have a lot of key players to re-sign in the near future and adding an Albatross financial commitment like Revis, any way you want to justify it, doesn't make sense.

It's not worth it to break up the core of what we have for a luxury want. Just my opinion.
You sound like the people that were mad that we took Wilson in the 3rd when qb wasn't a need because of Flynn, how'd that one work out? Yeah, I think we should trade for revis if we can

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Basis4day":286jb3t2 said:
sainthawk29":286jb3t2 said:
I could see it, if JS and PC has this in mind...

Revis and Sherman on the outside.... seriously that is terrifying to think about.
Granted Revis to my knowledge has never played extensively press coverage, but if they want him I trust they believe they can do it.

Browner moves to SS.

Kam moves to Will.

I don't know if that would work, but if they are really interested I assume that would be the plan. Browner IMO would be a liablity in the slot, as it would take away his greatest strenght.

"We usually try not to move Pro Bowl players to different positions," - John Schneider
:13: this isn't madden.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
seahawks875":28lqmit1 said:
You sound like the people that were mad that we took Wilson in the 3rd when qb wasn't a need because of Flynn, how'd that one work out? Yeah, I think we should trade for revis if we can

Other than the concept that your comparison makes absolutely no sense...it's just an opinion. I've stated my reasons repeatedly in this thread.

"If we can" is a no sh*tter. It's also a no sh*tter that we need to consider the long-term impact.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Reports are that Revis wants 16MM a year on his next contract...How is that going to play out with all of our future stars wanting to get paid? Anyone consider how much Sherm is going to want to get paid if he thinks he's better than Revis and we pay Revis what he wants? We don't want a money-focused guy on our team, and that's what D.Revis is.

As good as Revis is, I'd much rather keep our 1st, keep Browner for cheap this year, get rid of Flynn's contract and sign a UFA who help our Dline (starks, Melton, ect) hell for 16 M, you could sign almost any two free agents available this year.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":15lqppea said:
Reports are that Revis wants 16MM a year on his next contract...How is that going to play out with all of our future stars wanting to get paid? Anyone consider how much Sherm is going to want to get paid if he thinks he's better than Revis and we pay Revis what he wants? We don't want a money-focused guy on our team, and that's what D.Revis is.

As good as Revis is, I'd much rather keep our 1st, keep Browner for cheap this year, get rid of Flynn's contract and sign a UFA who help our Dline (starks, Melton, ect) hell for 16 M, you could sign almost any two free agents available this year.

In fairness to the $16m and $60m guaranteed talk... that isn't happening. It's more than likely his agent setting the bar high and deliberately plucking an unlikely figure out of the air.

The highest paid corner in the NFL earned $11m this year (Champ Bailey). I suspect anything that tops that for a player coming off ACL surgery will get it done. Mario Williams only got $50m guaranteed as a non-ACL suffering free agent. I'd guestimate he'll be looking to earn over $40m in four years, which you could front load to put him at around $7m in the key years when Seattle needs to re-sign its young talent.

Not that I'm 100% behind this trade... I just think financially it's do-able.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Just a random thought...

But I find it kinda funny that people are freaking out about the idea of paying a ton of money to the best CB in the NFL, but have no problem paying a ton of money to a backup QB who will never play unless a major injury occurs.

This is why, even though the QB $ is somewhat low, I still hate the idea of paying a majority of that $ to a non-contributor. That $ can go towards a player that can be a consistent impact on the field.

Not pointed at anybody, just kind of a funny observation of this thread. I still think Revis is a .01% chance of happening for SEA.

joeshaney

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3k4gjbki said:
lukerguy":3k4gjbki said:

In fairness to the $16m and $60m guaranteed talk... that isn't happening. It's more than likely his agent setting the bar high and deliberately plucking an unlikely figure out of the air.

The highest paid corner in the NFL earned $11m this year (Champ Bailey). I suspect anything that tops that for a player coming off ACL surgery will get it done. Mario Williams only got $50m guaranteed as a non-ACL suffering free agent. I'd guestimate he'll be looking to earn over $40m in four years, which you could front load to put him at around $7m in the key years when Seattle needs to re-sign its young talent.

Exactly!

the one and only goal is to win the superbowl.
rather than debating whether or not we should trade for revis it is much more effective to debate what we can get for matt flynn that will provide the greatest probability to win the superbowl.

if you have an idea better than revis speak up....
otherwise save your breath.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't like Revis to the Hawks. The two areas of real strength are at QB and CB. I much rather like a draft pick coming in and playing nickel to get reps.

If they were going to actually invest in elite talent, I would rather it come at DL for pass rush, but a guy that can also close the holes.

This team is built of solid players, most developed by the team and through the draft. The way this FO drafts, I say forget Revis. For the money he won't give us much more than we have.

seahawks875

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":hg70iyat said:
seahawks875":hg70iyat said:

Other than the concept that your comparison makes absolutely no sense...it's just an opinion. I've stated my reasons repeatedly in this thread.

"If we can" is a no sh*tter. It's also a no sh*tter that we need to consider the long-term impact.
My point is that you take good players when you can get them whether you have a need thier or not

lukerguy

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2m2rb3mi said:
lukerguy":2m2rb3mi said:

Good, point but I do think 10MM is under projecting. I think he'll probably land somewhere in the middle at 12-13MM which still is a lot when you consider Sherm will be aiming for 10-13 as well soon.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
seahawks875":1v5t5ix7 said:
My point is that you take good players when you can get them whether you have a need thier or not

We hear you! But then again.....we're saying he's not worth $12+ million!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Atradees":1oh9f9an said:
1. We don't buy top free agents.

2. The article was pretty weak.

3. Namdi Ashmunga.

We have a winner.

It amazes me how some fans become so infatuated with acquiring "big name" players and think this philosophy actually works for any successful teams. Everyone thought the Eagles were going to kill the league after they signed Namdi. How'd that work out for them? How's that Mario Williams deal working out for Buffalo? Seriously, some of you need to stop getting star-struck.

We have the best outside-CB situation in the whole damn league. How soon we forget how Browner played lights out against the best receiving tandem in the league and how Jeremy Lane looks like he could be a starting CB on almost any other team. And some of you want to drop the equivalent of at least a 1st round pick and a huge chunk of salary cap in 2014 for an upgrade that's marginal at best? Can't stand this type of short sighted thinking.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Atradees":g35elk1v said:

3. Namdi Ashmunga.

The Eagles dropped the ball on two key CB pick ups.

They took two of the leagues best man coverage corners (Asomugha and Samuel)
and forced them to play mainly in a zone scheme.
Total fail for Philly.
Asomugha is wasting away there. Too bad.

mistaowen

Reaction score
DavidSeven":j23v99r4 said:
Atradees":j23v99r4 said:

3. Namdi Ashmunga.

We have a winner.

It amazes me how some fans become so infatuated with acquiring "big name" players and think this philosophy actually works for any successful teams. Everyone thought the Eagles were going to kill the league after they signed Namdi. How'd that work out for them? How's that Mario Williams deal working out for Buffalo? Seriously, some of you need to stop getting star-struck.

We have the best outside-CB situation in the whole damn league. How soon we forget how Browner played lights out against the best receiving tandem in the league and how Jeremy Lane looks like he could be a starting CB on almost any other team. And some of you want to drop the equivalent of at least a 1st round pick and a huge chunk of salary cap in 2014 for an upgrade that's marginal at best? Can't stand this type of short sighted thinking.

Yeah cause the Eagles struggles came from signing Nnamdi after being a lock down corner in Oakland for 3 years. Same with Buffalo fixing their defensive problems by signing a guy to a huge contract who played to that level his whole career beforehand, their defensive problems had nothing to do with horrible linebacker and secondary play right. He actually got great pressure all season but only sacks matter apparently. I guess I am star struck too then.

The salary for 2013 and 2014 wouldn't be huge when you account for Browner wanting a bigger contract as well. He's getting paid peanuts, which is great, but he made the pro bowl last year and is going to want to make better money. I'm all for making our guys the main priority for resigning, but getting Revis for two years while paying him decent pay is very possible. It all depends on sending Idzik trades for players he knows and restructuring guarenteed money by frontloading.

Also what about Jeremy Lane's tape makes him a starting CB for every other team? You do realize he got pulled for Maxwell after being unable to stick with press coverage right? We have solid secondary play, but in the Falcons game we consistently had letdowns by our secondary at terrible times. Keep generically adding fans to short sighted opinions for wanting a top tier CB paired with our already top tier CB. If only we were able to get him here for less than the huge contract he demands for two years...wait....we can.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
mistaowen":f580j7il said:
Also what about Jeremy Lane's tape makes him a starting CB for every other team? You do realize he got pulled for Maxwell after being unable to stick with press coverage right?

Uh no. Maxwell was backing up Trufant at nickel to end the season. Lane played the outside behind Browner and Sherman. When exactly was Lane "pulled" for Maxwell due to poor play?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Of course Seattle is interested. Rob Staton already mentioned this but anytime an all pro talent is available which isn't often, every team is interested. It's just a matter of how much you have to give up to get that talent. To say he wouldn't help Seattle because its already a position of strength is ridicilous as well. He would make Seattle better assuming he's healthy and allow Seattle to be more creative up front as well as moving their current pieces around in the secondary. But I do agree that we don't want to give up too much for him. I think this front office has done an amazing job and I trust that if we do or don't get him its probably a well thought out position and they made the right call.