kearly's dream draft 2.0

chris98251

Reaction score
Biggest thing I think a DT needs to do is engage in the O line's space while keeping leverage and push. If they get into a O line's space before they can get off their blocks then it's a momentum factor in favor of a DT. That quickness and balance then allows the DT to track a run and or slide to a gap since he is controlling the engagement. A DT that can do that I think will get his sacks and create havoc with blocking assignments becasue as Kearly said they are not suppose to be able to do that for being so big.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love Brandon Williams and think he will go in the late 1st, early 2nd and is just the kind of talent that Pete likes. With some coaching, he might become a real talent at DT.

The only thing that worries me is effort. He "decided" to play better? What if his lack of domination was because of minimal effort? And what will he do once he gets paid? That's why the interview process is so important.

One advantage the Seahawks have though, is that their head coach is a master motivater, and teacher. PeteCarroll knows how to get themost, and the best out of a player.

madbohem

Reaction score
The guy I like in the later rounds is Jordan Hill. Football has always been about the line as the primary for me, so I can't imagine this year filling up as many guys as possible on the DL as a bad thing.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":1o3i00df said:
Biggest thing I think a DT needs to do is engage in the O line's space while keeping leverage and push. If they get into a O line's space before they can get off their blocks then it's a momentum factor in favor of a DT. That quickness and balance then allows the DT to track a run and or slide to a gap since he is controlling the engagement. A DT that can do that I think will get his sacks and create havoc with blocking assignments becasue as Kearly said they are not suppose to be able to do that for being so big.

Great observation. In addition to that, I'd add that a DT who can get into a guard/center's space with leverage (drive him back) is much less likely to get stonewalled for 5 seconds. It's like the difference between pushing a boulder at rest and rolling a boulder. If an OL is in backpedal mode it's far easier to disengage. This is also why fast first step DTs are so good at penetrating, because they put OL in backpetal mode right off the bat.

zayden185

Reaction score
KEARLY...I'm pretty sure when you actually TYPE quotes ( "-")

Then they are t air quotes anymore. But I think I just made a new text picture with that...

("-")

Huh. Bonus

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
zayden185":3fenb3n1 said:
KEARLY...I'm pretty sure when you actually TYPE quotes ( "-")

Then they are t air quotes anymore. But I think I just made a new text picture with that...

Blankstare CtA

sc85sis

Reaction score
For whatever this is worth, Everson Griffin had a rep as an athletic freak with tons of talent but a lack of work ethic at USC.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Good point. They are similar in body type but Griffen was probably a better athlete. I also remember hating Griffen's tape that year due to a lack of effort and repertoire, things that aren't lacking at all for Okafor. Not sure why I reached for that comparison, it just felt right for some reason. Probably because both were considered fringe 1st rounders before the draft but Griffen went much later. I think Okafor will go later too, probably mid-late 2nd round.