Titus Young a good fit in Seattle?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Titus Young a good fit in Seattle?
Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:46 am
  • I know he has shown some attitude problems but Pete is a guy who is known to work with those guys and get the most from him. He showed flashes of brilliance in Detroit and is very explosive. I've seen a few threads for guys like Bowe but Young would be much cheaper, should be hungry and would vastly improve our vertical game. Am I crazy?
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Re: Titus Young a good fit in Seattle?
Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 am
  • Yes (to your final question).

I'm still trying to rationalize how we let that nut job destroy us.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 am
  • I notice that NONE of the Detroit players have spoken out in favor of Young.

He is Cancer. Maybe the Raiders could use him.
    90% Disabled Veteran
    100% Love for the USA!
    KPA
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 am
  • Didn't he play at BSU?

Also, some of this has to be the sitiation. That team seems to lack discipline, awareness, or judgement from top down.

One of my favorite players, ever, is Charles Woodson. He was labeled as a malcontent in Oakland too. Its amazing what a change of scenery and a quality organization can do.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:16 am
  • Horrible fit.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:21 am
  • “Like I said I never been selfish but if I’m not going to get the football i don’t want to play anymore.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -football/

If he's mad about his lack of targets in Detroit where they throw like 50 times a game, imagine how he'd react in our system. Their were a couple of games where even Sidney had only a few targets and he's our best receiver
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:27 am
  • Sydney's also thrown a silent tantrum or two. And, in Detroit, Sydney mayve lashed out more, its the Lions.

I'd love it. 1st round talent, for peanuts. He won't do damage hear, none, so no risk.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:28 am
  • The guy has some issues. He went on a Twitter rant a couple days ago after not posting for over a year. One of his gems was this...

I've never been a selfish player but if I'm not getting the football I don't even want to play anymore

And another one

Oh I'm not done, if y'all going to cut me let me go. I'm tired of the threats

Yeah...no thanks
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:30 am
  • So, if he comes here, you're afraid all of the sudden Wilson would be more like Young? He'd take over the lockerroom?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:40 am
  • pehawk wrote:So, if he comes here, you're afraid all of the sudden Wilson would be more like Young? He'd take over the lockerroom?

No, not worried about the rest of our locker room. My thinking is no one passed more than Detroit and Titus was mad he didn't get the ball, what makes you think he'd be happy about being a back up on the Hawks and getting even fewer targets?
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:48 am
  • Killa Kam wrote:
    pehawk wrote:So, if he comes here, you're afraid all of the sudden Wilson would be more like Young? He'd take over the lockerroom?

No, not worried about the rest of our locker room. My thinking is no one passed more than Detroit and Titus was mad he didn't get the ball, what makes you think he'd be happy about being a back up on the Hawks and getting even fewer targets?

Peer examples to look up to for 1. Geography for 2 (LA product who played at Boise). Maturing for 3. Also, who's to say he would see fewer targets? The Seahawks offense will evolve towards its best player, Wilson.

If Seattle offered a 5th, Detroit would probably bite. If it doesn't work, oh well? Good gamble for 1st round talent, IMO.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:21 pm
  • Megatron is getting all the targets. Young certainly did damage to us. But yeah, a receiver who wants the ball? Perish the thought! That's almost as bad as a quarterback who wants to start or be traded where he'd have the opportunity to start! Question is, is Young open as much as he thinks he is, and simply not being targeted? Does Young have a legit beef or is he just being a legend in his own mind?
    I have to think in Pete's system, Young could be a good fit, if it's the former. If it's the latter, well, we coulda had a washed-up TO. Anyone watched enough game tape of Young to offer evidence about which it is?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:24 pm
  • All this started after our game with the Lions, call it his break out game if you want, he is causeing all sorts of issues for himself there and is putting a big sign on himself concerning his mental well being and whether he can be a team mate.

If you look around the league right now most the self promoted look at me I'm great and can be Superman on Sunday receivers are no longer playing in the league. They have got real quiet as a position, especially after all of them were cut prior to the last pre season.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 pm
  • Horrible fit. Why would they bring in a selfish player.
    mretrade
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 pm
  • He sounds like Keyshawn Johnson.

Some comment excerpts from the PFT board:
    "what a flippin baby! Go ahead, quit! its not like you were any good anyway. with Calvin Johnson on the other side drawing all the double and triple team, you would think you could get open once in a while, but NOPE! You’re just taking up a roster spot for someone who’ll work for it."
    "I understand the sentiment of not liking Titus Young and wanting badly to “call his bluff”, but that still does not do Detroit any good towards salvaging value out of the situation. Not many players have a perfect personality or no baggage, the Lions have a problem situation here that needs a bit more of an objective response than just tossing him out with the trash."

Interesting point, with Megatron drawing constant doubleteams, it should leave Young that much more able to get open, against the opponent's #2 or #3 corner.
    The other one is talking about Detroit "salvaging some value" from Young. When that's the discussion, "salvaging"... wow. Sounds like a train wreck to stay away from.
    All that said, if there's anywhere that a guy could go, and get a fair shot, and be in an environment that helps him get his head screwed on straight (or be cast aside if he can't get it done vs. the competition), Seattle is that place.

So heck yeah, if we can get Young virtually for free, why not bring him here and see what happens?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:35 pm
  • I almost never care about character concerns, but Titus is such a POS that I wouldn't bother unless it was a one-year minimum contract. Except for that one game against us, he hasn't even been good, and that's with the best WR in the NFL drawing attention away from him.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 pm
  • mretrade wrote:Horrible fit. Why would they bring in a selfish player.

Every now and then Pete comes up with a "change of scenery" gem.
    Mike Williams in 2010.
    Brandon Browner.
    I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of right now.
    You could even look at Richard Sherman that way--"disgruntled" at Jim Harbaugh's Stanford, sent from WR to playing defense, falling to 5th round pick.

Of course, a lot have been tried and tossed. Pete certainly has no 'SC favoritism, that's for sure.
    The question is whether Titus Young is just a crybaby whiny pussy or a player with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, who just needs to grow up a little, in the right environment. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.
    In PC/JS I trust on this one.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:43 pm
  • Rat wrote:I almost never care about character concerns, but Titus is such a POS that I wouldn't bother unless it was a one-year minimum contract. Except for that one game against us, he hasn't even been good, and that's with the best WR in the NFL drawing attention away from him.

That seems to be the consensus thinking, so the conclusion would be that the Seahawks would be foolish to give up any actual value for him, IF they were even interested in giving him a shot. He sure torched us, which sucked and directly led to us losing to the Lions, and thus not winning the division + home field, and ... and ... Super Bowl.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:01 pm
  • If we didn't run the type of offense we do, and if Pete wasn't trying to build an "all in" atmosphere, I'd be for it. But our offense spreads the ball quite thin, and Young is an obvious cancer. The Keyshawn Johnson comparison is on the money. Young will go to the highest bidder when he hits FA. Even if we traded for him he wouldn't be here long. I think Pete likes his players cheap, especially his WRs.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 pm
  • I don't know about cheap, I do know he wants them mentaly tough and willing to be physical. You look at our guys Tate, Baldwin, Rice, Obo all are guys that will mix it up and when in traffic fight through contact for the ball and not throw a tantrum. They get dinged up a bit and play through things. Our practices are physical with the type of secondary we have and they have to be able to deal with that as well.

Part of the reason some of the diva guys we brought in here I think failed, if the play wasn't going to them they half assed stuff, got taken out of their game even in practice by our secondary etc.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:08 pm
  • We're talking about a guy who was DELIBERATELY lining up in the wrong places and running the wrong routes late in the fourth quarter of a close game against the Packers. I have no problems with egomaniac WRs (Terrell Owens is one of my favorite all-time players), but how could you trust a guy like Titus on your team?
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:26 pm
  • Rat wrote:We're talking about a guy who was DELIBERATELY lining up in the wrong places and running the wrong routes late in the fourth quarter of a close game against the Packers. I have no problems with egomaniac WRs (Terrell Owens is one of my favorite all-time players), but how could you trust a guy like Titus on your team?

This...and to even say "I've never ran a wrong route in my life" after he was called for it, just speaks to a delusional player that's an obvious cancer.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:30 pm
  • Rat wrote:We're talking about a guy who was DELIBERATELY lining up in the wrong places and running the wrong routes late in the fourth quarter of a close game against the Packers. I have no problems with egomaniac WRs (Terrell Owens is one of my favorite all-time players), but how could you trust a guy like Titus on your team?

What supporting info can you share? Who is saying this that is close to the situation? That would be pretty wacked-out to *deliberately* pull that stuff (vs. tossing up a couple mental airballs, doing the same play consistently wrong) Gotta say, just the fact it's even being leveled as an accusation is already a really, really bad sign.
    Hmm... would I rather have malevolent, or ditzy? Neither!! But where was that from Young against US when we needed it??!!
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:55 pm
  • NO
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 pm
  • Don't know much about Titus, cept he burned us bad when we played the Lions.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:02 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    Rat wrote:We're talking about a guy who was DELIBERATELY lining up in the wrong places and running the wrong routes late in the fourth quarter of a close game against the Packers. I have no problems with egomaniac WRs (Terrell Owens is one of my favorite all-time players), but how could you trust a guy like Titus on your team?

What supporting info can you share? Who is saying this that is close to the situation? That would be pretty wacked-out to *deliberately* pull that stuff (vs. tossing up a couple mental airballs, doing the same play consistently wrong) Gotta say, just the fact it's even being leveled as an accusation is already a really, really bad sign.
    Hmm... would I rather have malevolent, or ditzy? Neither!! But where was that from Young against US when we needed it??!!

I read an article on PFT that had that info in it also, he was sent home and benched over it.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:04 pm
  • olyfan63 wrote:
    mretrade wrote:Horrible fit. Why would they bring in a selfish player.

Every now and then Pete comes up with a "change of scenery" gem.
    Mike Williams in 2010.
    Brandon Browner.
    I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of right now.
    You could even look at Richard Sherman that way--"disgruntled" at Jim Harbaugh's Stanford, sent from WR to playing defense, falling to 5th round pick.

Of course, a lot have been tried and tossed. Pete certainly has no 'SC favoritism, that's for sure.
    The question is whether Titus Young is just a crybaby whiny pussy or a player with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, who just needs to grow up a little, in the right environment. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference.
    In PC/JS I trust on this one.

The difference with those guys is that those guys showed remorse and had time to think about their actions and not take for granted the opportunity that they were given. Titus Young will take for granted his next opportunity.
    mretrade
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:12 pm
  • As Kip mentioned, Seattle's offensive system demands selfless receivers. Young isn't a fit.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 pm
  • H to E to the double LL NO!
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:57 pm
  • I would say NO he would be to big of a distraction to our team JMO
    chawkjones
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:45 am
  • pehawk wrote:Sydney's also thrown a silent tantrum or two. And, in Detroit, Sydney mayve lashed out more, its the Lions.

I'd love it. 1st round talent, for peanuts. He won't do damage hear, none, so no risk.

Stick with your first point. Sydney throws silent tantrums on the field but after the game he doesn't complain about not getting the ball.

Also, who's to say he would see fewer targets?

The Lions threw the ball more than any team in the NFL last year by a lot.

He sounds like Keyshawn Johnson.

Yet nowhere near the production.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 pm
  • I feel like I would be okay if we got him, but wouldn't mind if we didn't, either. He has come off as someone who whines and cries when things don't go his way. I get the feeling that he pushes blame on everyone but himself. In other words, he is full of excuses.

That being said, he also seems to have a chip on his shoulders and that fits well with our team. If anyone could turn things around for the guy, I believe it is our staff.

It could be a big win for us, that's for sure. However, I would prefer a situation where if we were to bring him in and he was becoming a cancer, we could drop him without really hurting ourselves.

Adding Young could let us focus more on adding a few key pieces on our defense and another TE in the draft, which would be a pretty big benefit. If we go for a WR in the draft (which I am okay with as well), then we may have to wait longer to get a TE, for example. I don't know about you guys, but I would love a TE to go with Miller than can put up big numbers. A TE like Gonzales and Gronk, for example, is HUGE. Now I don't know a whole lot about the TEs in this draft class, but I do know there are some good ones. Eifert and Ertz in particular. Big, fast guys (for their size).
    TheLargentLine
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 pm
  • we should take a chance on him. he could be a bigger better version of desean jackson
    GeorgeKush
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 am
  • At 5'11" 175, how is he an upgrade over Tate?
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 am
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:Stick with your first point. Sydney throws silent tantrums on the field but after the game he doesn't complain about not getting the ball.

Yes, I've seen Rice do his "tantrums", but wouldn't label them as such. I think it was on the play (against Redskins?) where Wilson tucked the ball and ran just as Sydney broke open for a sure TD. It was a body language version of, "hellooooo.... I'm OPEN..."
    Or are we talking about a different kind of "tantrum" than that?
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 am
  • The "he played well against us, let's get him" train of thought netted us Julius Jones. I don't think I ever want to hear that argument again.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information