Rumor: Hawks 'highly interested' in acquiring Darrelle Revis

Ozzy

Reaction score
I agree to an extent but who's to say they still can't invest money elsewhere? It seems like people on the board are in the either/or camp. Teams can get pretty creative with contracts so its not impossible to land Revis and still upgrade the d-line and other areas through free agency and the draft. I'm not saying its easy or even probable but its possible. So I guess I agree that we should probably pass on Revis if they do get them I would be lying if I said I woulnd't be excited.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I wouldn't put a whole ton of stock in these reports. I'd contend this is just Schneider doing his due diligence -- he's made no bones about the fact that they will always be out there and in on everything. And furthermore, I'd also go on the record as saying that Revis's addition could potentially be disastrous for Seattle.

There are some definite alternatives to Revis in the FA Market (page down to the Corner section) ...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64833

Pstark3

Reaction score
yeah and im "highly interested" in acquiring season tickets... doesnt make either affordable

The Radish

Reaction score
This has had a long run on the main forum, I think its time for it too to go to the NFL Forum as its pure speculation from not completely trusted sources.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I just don't see any glaring urgency for the Seahawks in this move.

Yes, Revis would be a considerable upgrade over Browner. But you know who else would be a considerable upgrade over Browner and worth the higher contract? Browner paired with a pass rush. Seattle's CB tandem has already reached the point where they can shut down elite receivers, did so much of the year and achieved the #1 scoring defense. It also failed to stifle elite QB's nearly enough to survive against them in the playoffs. We all saw the Falcons loss coming, and it wasn't because of Browner. Give a QB enough time, and no secondary will be effective.

Quibble over the $16m/yr figure and the "two elite DB's for the price of 1.5" all you like, but Revis is going to be expensive and the primary problem on the defense not solved. Throw in PC/JS's talent at scouting late-round defensive backs, and the clear implication for me is that Revis is not where this FO should be throwing its money, no matter how clever they can be at it.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":drlwmwpt said:
Quibble over the $16m/yr figure and the "two elite DB's for the price of 1.5" all you like

In fairness I only made that point to show it was affordable and what the benefit of such a deal would be, not as a caveat for why they should make a trade.

kearly

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":h5m5s8jr said:
"We usually try not to move Pro Bowl players to different positions," - John Schneider
:13: this isn't madden.

JS is a straight shooter, but he was being coy there and the word "usually" is his way of avoiding future "bullshitter" accusations. JS himself admitted that Mark Barron was a strong consideration at #12. If they draft Barron, they are moving Kam. At the very least, they'd be moving him to the big nickle spot but I'm sure LB would be a strong consideration (OLB gets a lot more more playing time than Nickle DB, and they'd want Kam on the field as much as possible).

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":u8fegc8f said:
In fairness to the $16m and $60m guaranteed talk... that isn't happening. It's more than likely his agent setting the bar high and deliberately plucking an unlikely figure out of the air.

The highest paid corner in the NFL earned $11m this year (Champ Bailey). I suspect anything that tops that for a player coming off ACL surgery will get it done. Mario Williams only got $50m guaranteed as a non-ACL suffering free agent. I'd guestimate he'll be looking to earn over $40m in four years, which you could front load to put him at around $7m in the key years when Seattle needs to re-sign its young talent.

Not that I'm 100% behind this trade... I just think financially it's do-able.

Convincing Revis that he's worth 4/40 is going to be very challenging if you want to sign him before he hits open free agency. Revis is overshooting, but he has incredible leverage if he's traded. He can't be franchised. He'd be one of the biggest free agents on the open market ever. If you spend a 1st round pick to bring Revis in you do not want to see Revis entering free agency the next year. It would be a disaster to trade major draft capital for just 1 (ACL impacted) Revis season. I think Revis has about as much a chance of signing a 4/40 extension before FA as the House Republicans would of voting for a repeal of the 2nd amendment.

Or to put it another way, I think Revis' extravagant demands telegraph his intentions to hit UFA. He's basically setting the bar extremely high and then saying "that's what it's going to take to keep me from free agency."

The more I think about this situation, the more Revis looks like a rental. How much do you pay for one season of Revis (coming off an ACL)? I think a 3rd rounder would be as high as I'd go. Obviously, the Jets will get way more than that, but it will probably be a mistake for the buyer when Revis insists on hitting FA in 2014.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":143hfyiy said:
MontanaHawk05":143hfyiy said:
Quibble over the $16m/yr figure and the "two elite DB's for the price of 1.5" all you like

In fairness I only made that point to show it was affordable and what the benefit of such a deal would be, not as a caveat for why they should make a trade.

Fair enough. But is it really affordable in light of the many future contracts coming up? We've got a ton of defensive talent to re-up.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think it's affordable if you want to do it because you want Revis and buy into the argument that lends itself to making the deal. Personally I'd rather sign Randy Starks and be aggressive in the draft.

skater18000

Reaction score
Do it only if it obviously makes sense... for the right value, you do this. But there is no reason to go over board for Revis

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok here's the initial thought on what it would take to get him based on a artical from PFT that has a inside source so to speak.

They’re going to ask for two [first-round picks],’’ the source said, which coincidentally is the same package they got for receiver Keyshawn Johnson 13 years ago. “It’s going to take probably a first and a third [round pick] and salary . . . picking up the money end of it is a big consideration as well. Maybe a throw-in seventh-round pick depending on how well he does.’’

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If Revis finds out he's not quite as fast as he once was due to the injury, you might see him specifically look for a team to sign him to a big contact this year, since that would be the smart move considering the risk of potentially falling big-time if he thinks he might not be the same CB, as he'd have to showcase his skills this coming season to get the gigantic contract in FA.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The Seahawks are 'highly interested' by default whether you're in the CFL, in college, an RB with character issues, or one of the best CBs in the league. How truly interested can we be? We have no idea, and that's the point of the way we operate.

joeshaney

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with a 1 year rental....
so long as it only costs Flynn and a 3rd rounder or so.

anything more and im not interested.
in fact, i would rather not negotiate a contract. let him determine his own value while we go on a superbowl run. i he plays like a 15 million$ player we will win the superbowl and all is worth it (even if he walks and all we're left with is a 3rd round compensatory pick and a championship.

chris98251

Reaction score
"They’re going to ask for two [first-round picks],’’ the source said, which coincidentally is the same package they got for receiver Keyshawn Johnson 13 years ago. “It’s going to take probably a first and a third [round pick] and salary . . . picking up the money end of it is a big consideration as well. Maybe a throw-in seventh-round pick depending on how well he does.’’

This is what they are rumored to be asking for a 1 year rental.

This is called stupid trades 101 for any GM that does it.

joeshaney

Reaction score
chris98251":2ve8db67 said:
"They’re going to ask for two [first-round picks],’’ the source said, which coincidentally is the same package they got for receiver Keyshawn Johnson 13 years ago. “It’s going to take probably a first and a third [round pick] and salary . . . picking up the money end of it is a big consideration as well. Maybe a throw-in seventh-round pick depending on how well he does.’’

This is what they are rumored to be asking for a 1 year rental.

This is called stupid trades 101 for any GM that does it.

agreed. whatever gm does this is a loser. Two 1sts....bwahaahahahaa