For the Seattle Hockey hopefuls...

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
For the Seattle Hockey hopefuls...
Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:53 pm
  • Something to keep an eye on this week....the buyer of the Coyotes needs to complete the purchase by the end of January or it is no deal....and the Coyotes will remain ownerless and a potential relocation team once again. This would be the team i'd like to see in Seattle!!! :3:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/27/de ... eg-jamison
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

Re: For the Seattle Hockey hopefuls...
Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:36 pm
  • I saw a tweet that was retweeted, earlier today that said the NHL was looking at expansion.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 am
  • Either one! Yes please!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 am
  • I think the biggest question with the Yotes is whether or not Key Arena would be a suitable home for a hockey team while the arena is being built, if not, I don't think we'd have anyone looking to buy a team until things are up and running to avoid lame duck seasons elsewhere. I've heard the Key could only support 11k for hockey, but then again, the Yotes are only averaging 12k in their current situation.

We'll see. I tend to think that we won't get a hockey team until we have an arena, and by the time an owner would be looking to get their team (probably no earlier than during the season prior to the arena's grand opening), the Yotes issue would most likely be resolved one way or another.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I saw a tweet that was retweeted, earlier today that said the NHL was looking at expansion.

Good God, did Bettman and the owners learn nothing from the last two strikes/lockouts? Too much expansion has almost killed the league already and now they want more?
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 pm
  • Yeah, please do not continue to expand this league. The talent pool is diluted enough as it is. Relocate teams to more viable markets if needed, but the league is not ready to tolerate further expansion.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 pm
  • Expansion is literally the dumbest thing the NHL could do even the though of it is ridiculous...so it wouldn't shock me if it happened.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 pm
  • pinksheets wrote:I think the biggest question with the Yotes is whether or not Key Arena would be a suitable home for a hockey team while the arena is being built, if not, I don't think we'd have anyone looking to buy a team until things are up and running to avoid lame duck seasons elsewhere. I've heard the Key could only support 11k for hockey, but then again, the Yotes are only averaging 12k in their current situation.

We'll see. I tend to think that we won't get a hockey team until we have an arena, and by the time an owner would be looking to get their team (probably no earlier than during the season prior to the arena's grand opening), the Yotes issue would most likely be resolved one way or another.

I wonder if the league would allow a team that wants to come to Seattle to play home games in Portland for two years until the Seattle arena is built....I think Portland would support the team for that period of time......and a bigger fan base would be the result when they ultimately did come north.
    "I didn't do anything...i just headbutted him!"
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 pm
  • That would set Portland up to be an OKC situation like with the Hornets after Katrina. Itd be cool to see Portland with more than one pro sports team.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 pm

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:52 am
  • Dilution of talent in the NHL is the biggest myth in hockey perpetuated by fans that follow perpetually losing teams or fans going on a 'trap' rant. As a life long fan of a team that has spent half its existance as one of those teams to a perpetual power house I've lived both parts of that fairy tale.

What exactly does expansion mean to my team? I'll lose 2-3 depth players maybe 1-2 marginal prospects. Each round of the draft I could probably slide down 1-2 spots otherwise (probably only significant for the first 2 rounds). That's it. What happens afterwards is a few vets stick around a few more seasons, a few kids make the leap sooner and after a few years things are back to normal (for arguments sake say 1 player career cycle or 5-6 years) If your team hasn't adjusted by then you should blame your organization.

The difference between players today and just ten years ago. Prospects are drafted way better prepared mentally and physically with better coaching. Americans in the league have gone from 15-25% and rising. Unknown hockey nations like Slovenia, Denmark, France, and Kazitstan et al are not only producing players but stars. Also since drafting is basically a volume buisness more kids get a chance to get discovered and developed. 14 kids a year. And with teams putting more emphisis on developing they prospects properly should close that 'diluted talent' window even shorter.

When there is even one (there are several every year) NHL ready player being sent back to junior or the minors and with NHL regulars and recent high first rounders like Hickey and Grabner (major robery, Florida is stupid) getting picked up on waivers then I would argue against any dilution of talent.

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:56 am
  • ^ Not to mention how well a hard salary cap makes this not a problem. "Dilution of talent" isn't really a problem anywhere, having a soft cap or no cap where it's an uneven distribution of talent is the problem. Which is why basketball has done more to address it (though they still end up with ridiculous powerhouse teams) or teams like the Yanks in the MLB can go a long ways towards buying a championship. I don't see it as much of an issue.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information