John Schneider not named top executive of the year

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I have no indignation for subjective awards. It's nice to win a few, but really it means very little.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Yeah this is odd. I've heard some decent arguments for Elway and the guy in Miami, but Indy? It's probably because they started 20 something rookies. But I still don't see how they did better than Seattle.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Congratulations to the Colts GM for having the guts to make the most obvious move in the last 20 years of football.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.

seahawks875

Reaction score
What you guys are saying:
The Seahawks are the best
All other teams suck
Both Schneider and Grigson did really good jobs, but he still put enough talent on a 2-14 team to take them to the playoffs. The Seahawks had a lot more talent this year so Schneider didn't do as much this year, Grigson should have won with Schneider as a close second

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Scottemojo":1jtweley said:
Lets be honest here. We want John to win as much for the last three years as the last one year. But the Colts did win 11 games with a rookie and while switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Not bad at all. Neither Schneider or Grigson is a bad choice.

I know, right? The only way Schneider should have been in contention at all is if he also went 11-5 with a rookie quarterback. And if Schneider had somehow lucked out in the draft with top OROY and DROY candidates, he just might have pulled it off. Might have taken at least one more playoff win than teams like Indy and Denver, though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":bu9un198 said:
Scottemojo":bu9un198 said:

I know, right? The only way Schneider should have been in contention at all is if he also went 11-5 with a rookie quarterback. And if Schneider had somehow lucked out in the draft with top OROY and DROY candidates, he just might have pulled it off. Might have taken at least one more playoff win than teams like Indy and Denver, though.
That award is voted on before the playoffs. And like I said, the Colts did switch defense schemes this year. Our D was in pretty good shape to begin the year.

I would love it if Schneider won, but he didn't. However, Schneider is getting a Bill Belichick reputation for personnel inside the league. I heard Amani Toomer say that all new GMs would be smart to just figure out who John Schneider likes instead of scouting players. Where our GM used to lose picks moving around in the draft targeting boy scouts, this guy accumulates picks.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Eh, this doesn't bother me to much. Most of this team was built in 2010-11. Wilson and Wagner were great picks and really put us over the top, but the Colts were completely overhauled, much like Schneider did here in 2010. Luck was clearly the main reason for the Colts turnaround (that and their cakewalk schedule,) but still, going from 2-14 to 11-5 while completely overhauling the roster is impressive.

Axx

Reaction score
Wasn't their schedule ranked like #32 in terms of difficulty?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
These kinds of accolades usually precede a fall off in performance for executives in other businesses. I don't know if that happens in the NFL but at least we don't have to find out the hard way. Being the best is better than being named the best.

misfit

Reaction score
If I'm reading this right, isn't this the Sporting News exec of the year, and not the official AP award?

razgriz737

Reaction score
After a couple google searches, it appears there is no AP award for Exec of the Year. So maybe this is as official as it gets? I have no idea.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
AP doesn't name an Executive of the Year. The Sporting News award is considered the premiere one for the category.

I just saw the voting breakdown:

Ryan Grigson - Indianapolis - 9
John Elway - Denver - 8
John Schnieder - Seattle - 3

Bruce Allen - Washington - 2
Rick Smith- Houston - 2

WOW. That. Is. Ridiculous.

razgriz737

Reaction score
DavidSeven":297o89el said:
AP doesn't name an Executive of the Year. The Sporting News award is considered the premiere one for the category.

I just saw the voting breakdown:

Ryan Grigson - Indianapolis - 9
John Elway - Denver - 8
John Schnieder - Seattle - 3
Bruce Allen - Washington - 2
Rick Smith- Houston - 2

WOW. That. Is. Ridiculous.
index.php

joeshaney

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1uai7okt said:
Well the GM did come in and completely overhauled that roster. I think it was 26 of the 53 man roster were all new players he brought in, so it's not much of a robbery. They hit on some guys besides Luck, of course...that shouldn't even count. But TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Brazill, Sowell, Ballard all contributed. And then of course, bringing in Pagano.

I think a couple years down the road and you look back at each respective bodies of work, Schneider will clearly be the winner, though...probably even the Exec of the Decade if such a thing existed.

Didn't john do this same thing two years in a row?
I guess we will see soon enough who builds a better club.