Name 2 Free Agents whom empower the Hawks to draft BPA

jkitsune

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1ni5htxm said:
pehawk":1ni5htxm said:
I dont get a warm and fuzzy vibe from Sydney. I dont think he's one to sacrifice personal stats for the sake of W's. My gut says this will manifest, SOON.

That hit Sidney took at the end of the CHI game on his game-winning catch looked pretty sacrificial. This is also the same Sidney that has to be held out of practice because they're afraid he'll hurt himself with how hard he's trying. If he's going to be a malcontent, he's certainly taking a roundabout way of getting there.

I'm glad you said this, because this is the first word that comes to my mind as well. I have seen NO evidence to suggest that Sidney gives ANYTHING less than 100% of himself to the team. Sure, he's shown some frustration after failed plays where he was open, but I've never seen anything to suggest that represents a pattern of me-first behavior. Those 'silent tantrums' you keep referencing are something I believe I remember, and they tended to be plays which resulted in no gain, an incomplete pass, a sack, etc, where Sidney was open and wanted the ball. Never once saw him upset about not getting the ball when it resulted in a better play than if he'd been targeted.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
The longest run play by Wilson against the Skins is one where Sydney never turned around, just kept up the tantrum, while others turned around to block. But, I do understand from Rice's persepctive, Wilson missed a TD if he had thrown it to him. But, the play was a positive gain, quite a few yards actually.

That's the most recent.

I expect to get little or no support on this one. It's a gut thing I've peiced together through a variety of instances AND my bias towards Sydney. If nothing arises next year, then I'm undoubtedly wrong, for sure.

SDHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":6ev1gyqv said:
The longest run play by Wilson against the Skins is one where Sydney never turned around, just kept up the tantrum, while others turned around to block. But, I do understand from Rice's persepctive, Wilson missed a TD if he had thrown it to him. But, the play was a positive gain, quite a few yards actually.

That's the most recent.

I expect to get little or no support on this one. It's a gut thing I've peiced together through a variety of instances AND my bias towards Sydney. If nothing arises next year, then I'm undoubtedly wrong, for sure.

You don't need the confirmation bias but I'm with you pehawk.

I think in general, it is the older skill players that aren't all in on the "Russ is a perfect person" train. Zach Miller seemed a bit cool on RW3 earlier in the season though I think he's built a much better rapport with RW3 by seasons end. Zach and Sidney definitely don't seem to share the same level of enthusiasm as a Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Turbo and our secondary. I'm not saying that Sidney and Zach are cancers, though I'm certain that is how most fanatics will read it. All I am saying is Sidney doesn't seem 100% invested.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Sidney Rice is one of the classiest dudes on the team. If he's secretly a menace, he's done a great job avoiding my cancer detectors. As far as the Washington game, it's not unusual for a really good, competitive player to be upset when he knows he was open for 6 and not targeted. That's a human thing, not a diva thing.

I'd be a little surprised if Rice was a malcontent. He's being paid more than his statline deserves on a team that will likely win championships in the near future. He may not get 150 targets a year, but he's still the unquestioned #1 on the team. Plenty of reason to be happy.

I think you might be reacting to the fact that Rice doesn't display a ton of emotion and seems somewhat distant. That said, he seems like a really nice, fun guy in the locker room based on what we've seen on the Real Rob Report.

As far as the two players, what Scott said. I'd be surprised if we signed a WR to a large contract. BPA at #25 will probably be a WR, and even if Seattle waits a while it's a very deep WR class.

chris98251

Reaction score
Getting frusterated and tossing a mouth gaurd is not pulling a Harbaugh, it's competitiveness, not lashing out in the media ala Titus Young or Terrell Owens are other examples.

GoHawks

Reaction score
As high paid receivers I suppose it's somewhat natural to want to produce to merit your pay, but fact is your being paid and nothing less than a team first attitude cuts it with the PC mantra. It's worth monitoring to whatever extent it is perceived as a problem. Obviously Zach brings a bit more to the table in the run scheme aspect (blocking), and since the redskins game he's got alot more catches and has been giving glowing praise to RW. I have seen other receivers make gestures when they were open and the ball didn't come their way, for what it's worth.

There is no room on this team for "diva" WR's. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if RW intentionally tries to spread the ball around, so that the opposing team cant scheme to any tendencies.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aqib Talib – NE CB

Desmond Bryant – OAK DT

Cliff Avril – DET DE

Any two of the three, Talib is a physical beast that would rule the nickel I think.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'll go William Hayes form the Rams, Osi, and Richard Seymour. I don't know if Sidney's fits upset me as much of his lack of production. I realize we don't throw the ball a whole lot but you look at his stats and you can't help but be underwhelmed. And yes i realize stats don't me everything but no 100+ yard games in his last 22 games, come on man!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wallace is an upgrade over Sidney for one on the field reason that Pe mentions: Wallace plays sandlot ball way better. Watch the tape, rarely does Sidney work back to Russ when the play breaks down. The interception in the SF away game is an example, play breaks down, Sid heads deep on the sideline. As the season wore on, Tate got a lot better at the scramble drill, and Sidney didn't. It isn't a bad thing, really, scramble drills are counter intuitive for receivers, often involving separation by giving ground. Wallace is very good at this.

McGruff

Reaction score
Scottemojo":30f6spzg said:
Wallace is an upgrade over Sidney for one on the field reason that Pe mentions: Wallace plays sandlot ball way better. Watch the tape, rarely does Sidney work back to Russ when the play breaks down. The interception in the SF away game is an example, play breaks down, Sid heads deep on the sideline. As the season wore on, Tate got a lot better at the scramble drill, and Sidney didn't. It isn't a bad thing, really, scramble drills are counter intuitive for receivers, often involving separation by giving ground. Wallace is very good at this.

Going deep down the sideline is one of the things our receivers are told to do when the play breaks down. It's part of the gameplan.

kf3339

Reaction score
In order of importance:

3tech DT - Melton, Starks, Bryant, Dorsey

DE - OSI, Avril, Seymour(can be used both positions and possibly 5tech)

WLB - BPA

WR- BPA

TE - BPA

Don't know the best on the last three, but my concern is the DL and would put my FA efforts and cash there.

firebee

Reaction score
DT definitely needs to be addressed with Jones and Branch hitting free agency. I think we could get Glenn Dorsey at a bargain. He was a great 3 Tech DT at LSU and I think he's being misused in KC. Bryant's another young guy I'd love to see Seattle get if we choose not to go after Melton or Dorsey for whatever reason. Melton and Starks' salaries are a concern for me. Starks' age is also a concern for me.

LB - Leroy Hill was probably gone once his contract expired and this latest fiasco pretty much ensures that now. With that in mind, I'd absolutely love to see us sign Ellerbe. I'm hearing that Baltimore has to let Ellerbe go due to their cap and other players they want to resign. Ellerbe has been a playmaking monster inside and outside for Baltimore all year long on a situational basis and as a starter. Ellerbe is a stud and I think he's going to be a future hall-of-famer.

It would be nice to see us sign Hartline or Bowe at a bargain if they aren't tagged. Wallace will be tagged. I just don't see who else Pittsburgh would use the tag on and I can't see Pittsburgh letting Wallace walk without getting anything for him. I'm not in favor of giving up huge salaries and draft picks for free agents. Same situation with Greg Jennings. I just don't see who else Green Bay would use a tag on, besides Jennings. That leaves Bowe if KC tags Albert or Hartline if Miami uses it's tag on Starks, Bush or Long. I don't want Amendola. He doesn't really add a new dimension to our receiving corp. We already have 2 solid slot receivers in Tate and Baldwin. Wallace, Jennings, Ha

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":1h7h920u said:
Scottemojo":1h7h920u said:

Going deep down the sideline is one of the things our receivers are told to do when the play breaks down. It's part of the gameplan.
I don't doubt it's part of the gameplan. But sure as hell it isn't what they want everyone to do when the play breaks down. Like you said, one of the things. Another thing is to work back to Wilson. Rice doesn't do it well. The 16 second scramble against the Niners is a great example. Rice runs his route, sees the play break down, and staying at his depth 15 yards past the sticks runs across the field into 2 occupied zones. Wilson switches direction, and Rice goes back where he had been, through those same two zones. Still covered. By the end of the scramble, Rice is 30 yards down field, running the opposite way of Wilson, and the whole 16 seconds if he works back towards Wilson 10 yards it is an easy throw and first down.

It is nitpicking, Rice is a very good receiver. But Wallace is better at that one thing.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm not so sure Pitt tags Wallace. I cant recall the specifics, but I thought kearly laid out reasoning why they will NOT franchise Wallace. Unless it's Wallace, I really dont want to add any FA WR's, unless they're cheap.

Also, Pitt gets testy with players occasionally, and I get the vibe Wallace's made them testy. If that's the case, and this is the internet, I'm going to start the Rice for Wallace rumor, here and now. I heard it from Englishhawk.

Wallace may end up being fairly cheap. Pitt's offensive dysfunction may've driven his price down.

And firebee, will you post more? C'mon bro, we need ya.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
(SDHawk) Of these guys, I only see Desmond Bryant and Jared Cook as realistic possibilities.
I think if we can get Jared Cook, the need for a full time WR is diminished to situational deep threat only. Wilson makes even marginally talented receivers look all-pro.
Great topic. Free agency really could be a big deal this year in this regard. Players have got to see Seattle as a desirable team to sign with.

I'll agree with these two players. Both would be immediate contributors.

I have been thinking Jared Cook would boost the receiving corps, overall. I wouldn't rule out a marquee WR if the Hawks sign Cook, either. It would allow the Hawks to know they've already acquired another weapon for the offense.

After the 2 college NFL prospect games thus far, 2 (perhaps mid-round) WR's that stood out were Duke's Connor Vernon and VT's Corey Fuller. Vernon is more polished. He seemed to catch everything thrown his way and reminded me a bit of Steve Largent. (I know that's lofty and I didn't say he's his equal... just that he is such a reliable WR, etc.) They say Corey Fuller is a bit more of a project, but he has elite speed (transferred to VT from Kansas - was on the track team there) and looked silky smooth once he caught the ball on YAC (more straight line speed. I don't know if he's got elusiveness as well.)
Adding maybe DE Devin Taylor's playmaking ability and height / long arms (really was in position in the E-W Shrine game and stripped the ball a couple of times.)

Latest posts