Maybe the best DE in this draft

Scottemojo

Reaction score
And he will be a later round pick.

[youtube]nPxEfFmRESg[/youtube]

6'4" 262 with 35 1/2 inch arms. Watch the video with the worst soundtrack ever. Guy is a beast playing ball with children.

And here is why he will be a late round pick: small school, arrested for selling weed on school grounds.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
He is playing against inferior talent yet he still doesn't pop of the screen in his highlights. I don't see it.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
From National Football Post's Russ Lande at the Texas Vs Nation game
1. Armonty Bryant, DE, East Central Oklahoma (6041, 262 and 4.85 E): Bryant has an excellent first day of practice and already had a few NFL people saying that Bryant made himself some money today. Good looking “on the hoof,” Bryant’s initial quickness helped him beat the OT to the turn point consistently. With extremely quick 35 ½ inch arms, Bryant can get hands on OT first and consistently showed the ability to beat pass blocker. Able to jolt OT with hands, he displayed the quick burst and change of direction ability to beat the OT around the corner or back inside. If Bryant practices this way the rest of the week, he could be the player that comes out of this game and makes the biggest jump up draft boards.

pehawk

Reaction score
I love the selling weed on school grounds part.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":2qq2ed0n said:
He actually got arrested at football practice.

So, after that, I expected his interviews to show him to be kind of dumb. He didn't sound dumb.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'd expect him to be dumb for hustling using weed. Might as well make Ipads the margin's so low.

Not sure what T-Sizzle's saying, I am seeing dominance. What was the name of the Cardinal pick, Swann, from the 90's? Dominated in similar circumstances.

I never buy the inferior competition arguement. I heard it with Randy Moss too...and...well.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
That is why I included the all star game quote. That is a step up in competition.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Is there a link for those of us on iPads? I'm on limited bandwidth so searches dont always produce results.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Looks pretty damn fast, but it would also help if the LT would even make a passable attempt at a block on him. Still, instincts look fairly strong, so he might have enough potential for a late round flier.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'd like to see him versus someone who at least tries to block him. One would think that he would be double teamed.

kearly

Reaction score
I was wondering when you'd get around to talking about this guy Scott. What is going on with small school prospects in 2013? This year is absolutely insane. There have probably been as many high profile small school prospects this year than we've seen in the last decade combined. It used to be these guys had to go the Cam Newton route to build draft stock. Not anymore.

pehawk":3gkgq1gh said:
I never buy the inferior competition arguement. I heard it with Randy Moss too...and...well.

Level of competition is a lot like height with QBs. It could mean everything, or it could mean almost nothing at all.

Sarlacc83":3gkgq1gh said:
Looks pretty damn fast, but it would also help if the LT would even make a passable attempt at a block on him. Still, instincts look fairly strong, so he might have enough potential for a late round flier.

If Seattle spent a 1st on him, I seriously wouldn't complain. Tools/ability look top 10 worthy. I would have said the same thing about Russell Wilson last year. If we could get him later, obviously that is a huge bonus, but I think maybe the best WR and the maybe the best DE in the draft might have played in JUCO last year. Should be really interesting to see where they end up. If Brandon Williams is being talked about as a second rounder, could be really interesting to see where this guy ends up.

But like Wilson, Seattle won't draft him in the 1st if they don't have to. They'll do their homework first. And when they do draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round, I imagine they'll be getting some profanity laced phone calls from other GMs for having been beaten to the punch.

Chawker

Reaction score
Scottemojo":223jgtec said:
arrested for selling weed on school grounds.

In Washington state thats code for having a business degree.

Bryant has that optimal size for playing DE with decent speed, good at shedding blocks and good closing speed. I'd be for taking a late round flyer on him. I thought at first I was watching high school film.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Man, it's tough to tell if the guy is that good, or the competition was that bad.

Things I liked:

He lines up everywhere from a wide 9 to rushing the 3 gap. Standing up or 3 point stance; he's versatile.
Good awareness of where the ball is; he gets a lot of knockdowns. Blocked 5 kicks that I saw, only jumped twice.
Does well with handfighting and the punch, like Scotte mentioned. Can go outside and inside.
After the whole selling weed thing, you expect a dumb guy. This guy doens't play dumb. Stays at home on misdirections and is rarely fooled (in 1 youtube video).
Has a great motor, pursues well downfield.

Things I didn't:

He doesn't look that blazing fast compared to his competition. I wonder how his speed will translate to the next lvl.
Makes a ton of arm tackles. RBs will break those at the next level, hell half the QBs will. Had some broken tackles at this level. If he'd lay a shoulder pad into someone, I'd have been a lot more impressed.

Intriguing. Anyone know what round he's projected to go into ? Not sure I'd grab him with more than a 3rd, but I tend to be conservative when playing GM

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
According to Lande, Bryant looked very good in a second day of practice, and he says that the kid would have shone at the senior bowl if he had been invited.

lukerguy

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3ca47sg6 said:
He is playing against inferior talent yet he still doesn't pop of the screen in his highlights. I don't see it.
Not sure what screen you were watching? He manhandled everyone 1 on 1, and penetrated through double teams.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lukerguy":3rvdtgmc said:
T-Sizzle":3rvdtgmc said:
Not sure what screen you were watching? He manhandled everyone 1 on 1, and penetrated through double teams.

I assume Im watching my CPU screen and you are watching yours.

He looks bigger then the guys he is playing against.... I don't see explosion. He doesn't look significantly faster then the people he is up against...he just looks bigger. Looks like an NFL body playing against high school kids. While he has the body I don't see the speed & acceleration I would hope to see against that level of competition.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Has good countermoves against his level of competition while showing good strength, but his get off seems a tick slow.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
More news on this guy, as reported by BuffaloBillsDraft.com from the Texas vs Nation practice:
East Central DE Armonty Bryant has been the most impressive player on both rosters. He’s a raw prospect, but he can “shed blocks with ease” and potentially factor in both the run and pass game at the next level. It was surprising to hear, but two different scouts said Bryant carried a 3rd round grade.

two dog

Reaction score
pehawk":1vt40xti said:

Ya gotta go where your customers are if you gonna to be a playah.

If this isn't the right guy, I'm confident Schneider will find the right guy.