Kam at LB?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
kidhawk":39rx36l7 said:
Not really, because talking Kam at LB in a standard 4-3 defense and Kam playing in the Bandit Defense are two different discussions. This thread started discussing playing Kam at the 4-3 Linebacker position. Playing 5, 6 or 7 DB's is not even close to the same thing

That's just a difference in interpretation. The OP put up a very open thread title and asked specifically if there was any validity to whatever speculation he heard about moving Kam around with him going to WLB and JJ going to SS in our base set or Kam taking up a role closer to the LoS with a extra DB coming in. The latter is the role Kam filled during his days as a situational guy in the bandit package and while the overall formation is different and the personnel he's playing with have largely changed, the hypothetical "Kam at LB" role is more than similar enough to be a part of this topic (and it should be one of the focal points of any conversations about that kind of move IMO).

However, if you're going to get on me for stepping outside what you interpret to be the confides of the discussion, then why don't you take that very literal interpretation toward the guys who are poking fun at this thread and the threads like it as well? They aren't talking about Kam at LB in a standard 4-3 defense when they say their version of "*Sigh* it must be the off-season..."

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
McGruff":19wxro6g said:
Guy sucked the few times we've seen him.

Kam is one of the top 4-5 safeties in the conference. You don't move him.

Revis is the top CB in his conference and even he gets moved inside to cover guys like Welker. If we don't move a versatile player around, it's for a better reason than "You just don't do it".

CANHawk

Reaction score
I don't understand why we can't have sub packages that include rotating in a different SS. We rotate in different DE's and DT's depending on the situation to take advantage of their diverse skillsets, so why not do the same for the secondary? Kam is a BEAST in run support, but has shown a little bit of a chink in the armor in pass coverage. Red Bryant and Allan Branch are beasts in run support but aren't so hot at rushing the passer so we rotate them out on passing downs in favor of Bruce Irvin and Jason Jones who can get the job done better. Nothing wrong with putting the best skillsets on the field in the best positions to take advantage of them in a given scenario.

If we're going to run that press man with the 2 safties playing deep zones over the top, what's wrong with rotating in a SS who's a little better in coverage like Jeron Johnson and having Kam move down to nickel LB with Bobby Wagner? Hell, I thought that was why we drafted Mark Legree; to have two ball hawks over the top in passing situations. Kam's not quite a big enough thumper to go down and play Will on every play. I think a lot of what makes Kam "Bam Bam Kam" would be lost if he's just a regular every down linebacker taking on fullbacks and guards every play, but if he were to roll down and play Will or something in obvious passing situations, he'd be a big improvement in coverage over a standard LB and Jeron Johnson (or a FA or a rookie or whoever) could be an improvement over Kam in that deep zone.

I see nothing wrong with moving people around situationally to take advantage of their skillsets given the scenario. ...but I also see nothing wrong with leaving Kam exactly where he is because he's not exactly a liability back there either.

McGruff

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":1uiq774i said:
kidhawk":1uiq774i said:
Not really, because talking Kam at LB in a standard 4-3 defense and Kam playing in the Bandit Defense are two different discussions. This thread started discussing playing Kam at the 4-3 Linebacker position. Playing 5, 6 or 7 DB's is not even close to the same thing

That's just a difference in interpretation. The OP put up a very open thread title and asked specifically if there was any validity to whatever speculation he heard about moving Kam around with him going to WLB and JJ going to SS in our base set or Kam taking up a role closer to the LoS with a extra DB coming in. The latter is the role Kam filled during his days as a situational guy in the bandit package and while the overall formation is different and the personnel he's playing with have largely changed, the hypothetical "Kam at LB" role is more than similar enough to be a part of this topic (and it should be one of the focal points of any conversations about that kind of move IMO).

However, if you're going to get on me for stepping outside what you interpret to be the confides of the discussion, then why don't you take that very literal interpretation toward the guys who are poking fun at this thread and the threads like it as well? They aren't talking about Kam at LB in a standard 4-3 defense when they say their version of "*Sigh* it must be the off-season..."

Kid is right and you are wrong. The Bandit is a very specific package used for very specific purposes, and the role Kam played within it has little in common with a tradition 4-3 WSLB role.

Bottom line is that Kam went to the pro bowl as a SS, was an alternate this year in a season in which he played injured, and while he can and will be used situationally in bandit tpe packages, the thought of using as a regular linebacker is fan fabricated and ludicrous.

McGruff

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2f6kvl4r said:
McGruff":2f6kvl4r said:
Guy sucked the few times we've seen him.

Kam is one of the top 4-5 safeties in the conference. You don't move him.

Revis is the top CB in his conference and even he gets moved inside to cover guys like Welker. If we don't move a versatile player around, it's for a better reason than "You just don't do it".

Moving a corner inside is significantly less radical than switching from the back safety to linebacker . . . Sure, in situational packages Kam can and does play an in the box role . . . But that should and will continue to be the exception.

McGruff

Reaction score
We do move Kam and others around situationally. That's not the question being asked, though, and if it is it is a dumb question considering we already do it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":jmo3e2zz said:
kidhawk":jmo3e2zz said:

If Kam is already moving to what you call a situational LB, then there isn't really a discussion to be had as to whether Kam should be moved to a situational LB because he already is one by your own definition.

The main discussion, as i see it here, is the annual discussion amongst Seahawks fans about switching Kam to a full time LB in our base 4-3 defense.

It didn't matter his first year because he wasn't a starter in our base 4-3. He wasn't established yet.

His second year it was intriguing but he ended up playing at a pro-bowl level, at SS. To me, that's the end of the debate. It's hard enough getting players to play their native positions at a pro-bowl level and makes absolutely no sense to switch a person's native position in that scenario. If you brought in a SS that was that much better, like an all-pro SS, you might be able to convince me. But bringing in say Revis (not going to happen) to be a CB does not convince me to move Browner to SS and Kam to LB, it convinces me to explore your options with Browner alone. These guys aren't rookies or slowing down yet. I don't need to explore my options or wait for them to develop at a new position when they are already playing at a high level and continuing to develop at a high level at their native position.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Players change positions all the time. mRob was a QB, Sweezy and the list goes on. look at guys like Tebow...maybe not the best example. Last winter Kam worked out at Linebacker.
Players as they get older tend to get bigger, and Kam is already linebacker size. He was out of position at times this year and is the slowest DB we start already. As the game changes so do roles and responsibilities

Don't discount PCs influences. He saw the great Ronnie Lott moved from corner to SS at year 3. he was all-pro at both. In reality Lott was playing a combination SS/LB based on the play. I think he would like to do a similar role with Kam.

My gut feeing is with the run game as discounted as it is we are seeing a lot of non classical defenses. 3-4 teams have already implied that they are looking at the pistol next year. When change occurs the defenses change accordingly.

I see Pete & Co. going to variations off the Bandit that are similar to the 46 , but not like that used by the Jets, to combat the pistol. Strong edge pressure and quick LB linebackers filling throwing lanes or running lanes

Look at some of the old bill Wash videos and see how he played the DBs. People I suspect when they think of the old Bill Walsh teams think of Offense first. When PC was there the D was ranked 1-3 he is a far better defensive coach than I think many realize and give the accolades his assistants. Make no mistake PC is a guru, especially with defensive backs.

Defenses change often every 2 or 3 plays the idea of a base defense is really just the basic package

Basis4day

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2cc8sv1e said:
Players change positions all the time. mRob was a QB, Sweezy and the list goes on. look at guys like Tebow...maybe not the best example. Last winter Kam worked out at Linebacker.
Players as they get older tend to get bigger, and Kam is already linebacker size. He was out of position at times this year and is the slowest DB we start already. As the game changes so do roles and responsibilities

Don't discount PCs influences. He saw the great Ronnie Lott moved from corner to SS at year 3. he was all-pro at both. In reality Lott was playing a combination SS/LB based on the play. I think he would like to do a similar role with Kam.

My gut feeing is with the run game as discounted as it is we are seeing a lot of non classical defenses. 3-4 teams have already implied that they are looking at the pistol next year. When change occurs the defenses change accordingly.

I see Pete & Co. going to variations off the Bandit that are similar to the 46 , but not like that used by the Jets, to combat the pistol. Strong edge pressure and quick LB linebackers filling throwing lanes or running lanes

Look at some of the old bill Wash videos and see how he played the DBs. People I suspect when they think of the old Bill Walsh teams think of Offense first. When PC was there the D was ranked 1-3 he is a far better defensive coach than I think many realize and give the accolades his assistants. Make no mistake PC is a guru, especially with defensive backs.

Defenses change often every 2 or 3 plays the idea of a base defense is really just the basic package

Stick with Lott for your example. That is a much sounder argument. MRob was never a pro bowl QB (but he thrived at FB). Sweezy was not going to play in the NFL as on D, but hes a starter on Oline.

Lott. Now that is an intriguing argument. As he was an all-pro corner before becoming a all-pro safety. Without dismissing any of this, Lott was one of the best football players to play the game and i think hes the exception rather than the rule. Not to mention he played in the pre salary cap/ free agency era and teams with deep pockets had no problem keeping their top talent.

If we could bring in any player we wanted with Paul Allen's money, by all means my beliefs go out the window.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2d6xgcuu said:

Corner to safety is a very natural and common progression. It greatly extended the careers and productive years of Rod Woodson and Ronde Barber (and those are just two guys off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more) and they have been pro bowlers at both positions. Lol, Champ Bailey might play another 15 years if he moves to safety!

I could potentially see Kam moving to a full time LB as he gets older and loses a step speed wise (not that he's exactly blazing fast to start with), but I don't think it's necessary now. If a blue chip, all world, possible HOF candidate SS falls to us in the draft then it's absolutely an avenue we could explore, but I don't see SS as a need right now.

And you're right on the money, Pete is going to be at the head of the pack when it comes to combating the pistol and the spread option offenses. He's a total mad scientist.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The question is if we agree he is a Pro Bowl level talent how to keep him on the field for more plays? He can't move back he is too slow slow and we have 3 excellent talent there. The only place to move him in my mind is take the place of the weak side LB. Then add another faster player (JJ or Guy) to fill the SS spot

I am not considering this a base defense , but an often used variant of the base but not Bandit

CANHawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3d0w95w6 said:
Stick with Lott for your example. That is a much sounder argument. MRob was never a pro bowl QB (but he thrived at FB). Sweezy was not going to play in the NFL as on D, but hes a starter on Oline.

Lott. Now that is an intriguing argument. As he was an all-pro corner before becoming a all-pro safety. Without dismissing any of this, Lott was one of the best football players to play the game and i think hes the exception rather than the rule - Rod Woodson, Ronde Barber, Charles Woodson.... Not to mention he played in the pre salary cap/ free agency era and teams with deep pockets had no problem keeping their top talent.

If we could bring in any player we wanted with Paul Allen's money, by all means my beliefs go out the window.

There's only 8 safties in the HOF and 3 of them started out as corners. Ronde will likely be in ASAP too so that's 4 of 9. It's more common than you'd think...

Basis4day

Reaction score
CANHawk":2u5ykuiw said:
Basis4day":2u5ykuiw said:

Lott. Now that is an intriguing argument. As he was an all-pro corner before becoming a all-pro safety. Without dismissing any of this, Lott was one of the best football players to play the game and i think hes the exception rather than the rule - Rod Woodson, Ronde Barber, Charles Woodson.... Not to mention he played in the pre salary cap/ free agency era and teams with deep pockets had no problem keeping their top talent.

There's only 8 safties in the HOF and 3 of them started out as corners. Ronde will likely be in ASAP too so that's 4 of 9. It's more common than you'd think...

I still think Lott is the exception, because those players played a lot longer at CB than Lott did. Like you said, they did it to extend their careers. Barber was never as good at Safety as he was at CB. Prime Time played at nickel for the Ravens, but that was at the end of his career and no one is going to say he was HOF worthy there. Both Woodson's switched teams. If Kam went somewhere else, i would be open to the discussion of switching him because he was a pro-bowler under our scheme.

Kam is still pretty young. If he wanted to switch when he got older, thats a different discussion in my opinion. I think his best years at safety are still in front of him.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3jitj8fb said:
The question is if we agree he is a Pro Bowl level talent how to keep him on the field for more plays? He can't move back he is too slow slow and we have 3 excellent talent there. The only place to move him in my mind is take the place of the weak side LB. Then add another faster player (JJ or Guy) to fill the SS spot

I am not considering this a base defense , but an often used variant of the base but not Bandit

He's on the field quite a lot as it is. Not complaining, but not sure you want to do too much more and not risk fatigue. Need to keep that in balance.

McGruff

Reaction score
Happypuppy":139mjcix said:

But JJ and Guy suck.

Basis4day

Reaction score
McGruff":1rxofst3 said:
Happypuppy":1rxofst3 said:

But JJ and Guy suck.

JJ and Guy are young and need experience, but as the overall talent level grows on our team, the chances for the younger players to make a difference diminish. They're going to really need to show it on ST and sub-packages. It was easier for Kam to get on the field as a rookie to show what he can do when you look at the roster we had.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
McGruff":1hbjmcvy said:
We do move Kam and others around situationally. That's not the question being asked, though, and if it is it is a dumb question considering we already do it.

It's not a dumb question. It's a question that puts a person in a position where they have to measure trading a known value versus an unknown/lesser known value and it's an uncanny exercise in reasoning given our human nature to resist giving up anything. In this case, the known value is the perceived role and effect of Kam at SS and the unknown value is the result of changing that role to involve more play from the WLB or a WLB style position. You see it as not necessarily a dumb question but mainly a simplistic question because you're more familiar with what Kam does and the idea of moving him around is either nearly identical to what he's been doing well or it's just a subtle expansion on what he's been doing well. To you it's not radical in the slightest unless we're talking about a full-time position change, which I'd be cautious against as well.

However, there are likely people on this forum that may not have that level of reasoning and having a seemingly simple question imposed like "Kam at LB?" hashed out in front of them with a degree of detail from a variety of people will help them expand upon their level of reasoning (if they allow it to). That or people are just going to roll their eyes and carry on about their business. Anyhow, *sigh* it's the off-season etc etc...

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":2u4x9ycz said:
McGruff":2u4x9ycz said:
Happypuppy":2u4x9ycz said:

But JJ and Guy suck.

JJ and Guy are young and need experience, but as the overall talent level grows on our team, the chances for the younger players to make a difference diminish. They're going to really need to show it on ST and sub-packages. It was easier for Kam to get on the field as a rookie to show what he can do when you look at the roster we had.

The difference is Kam actually looked good when given opportunity. Guy in particular as looked like a gassy skunk in a trash heap.

kearly

Reaction score
The Seahawks have moved players before. Red Bryant moved from DT to DE. Several of the Seahawks players played different positions before settling into their current roles. Clemons was a LB. JR Sweezy was a DT in college. Irvin was a safety in high school and early on at college. Evan Moore was a WR. Richard Sherman was a WR. Golden Tate was a RB in high school. Our pro-bowl fullback was a Heisman nominated QB in college... etc.

Now, I get that none of those players were pro-bowlers at their positions before being moved (although Clemons (in Oakland) was close). But I think a lot of the snark in this thread regarding Chancellor's options reflects not only ignorance of this regime's philosophy and values (always looking to get better at every position, valuing players that can play multiple positions, etc), but that mindset also displays an ironic closemindedness, the exact opposite of the kind of thinking that put the Seahawks on the map in the first place.

Of course, people like to cite the JS quote about not moving pro-bowlers, while forgetting that he said that during the peak of lying season. I thought he was bullshitting then to cover his ass (like any GM would), and to his credit he may as well have admitted as much after the draft when he confessed that safety Mark Barron was a top target at #12.

As far as Chancellor himself, the status quo is acceptable, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought there wasn't room for optimizing. Chancellor the "8 in the box enforcer" is a badass. Chancellor the deep safety coverage helper, not so much. Seattle likes to show different looks on defense and sometimes that means Earl and Kam switch jobs for a play. In a true Tampa 2 defense, the safeties are supposed to be interchangeable. Remember when Sherman got "burned" by Roddy White in the playoffs for a long TD? That wasn't on Sherman, that was on Chancellor for having limited ability as a coverage helper. He basically has the coverage ability of a fast linebacker.

Chancellor is already a very good linebacker who lines up at safety. If Seattle felt they could find another safety that was interchangeable with Earl Thomas (as Mark Barron was), then that player is a high priority (Jeron Johnson isn't that guy, lol). Then the question of what to do with Chancellor comes up. He'd make an outstanding outside linebacker, and would be a huge upgrade over Jeron Johnson as the big nickle safety.

That doesn't mean that Chancellor's move is imminent. It just means that it's one of the options that's on the table if the right situation arises (like Mark Barron last year). Whatever our coach does, it will be to make this defense even better. I suspect we'll see the team draft a LB instead of another safety simply because good linebackers are far more common than Earl Thomas type safeties. In the case of Barron, they were preparing for a scenario where they'd have access to a very rare type of player, and in that scenario moving Chancellor was a no brainer. I'm not really expecting that scenario to come up again any time soon.

CANHawk

Reaction score
^Word to Big Bird.

Chancellor is already a very good linebacker who lines up at safety. If Seattle felt they could find another safety that was interchangeable with Earl Thomas (as Mark Barron was), then that player is a high priority (Jeron Johnson isn't that guy, lol). Then the question of what to do with Chancellor comes up. He'd make an outstanding outside linebacker, and would be a huge upgrade over Jeron Johnson as the big nickle safety.

This right here is why I was so bummed that Mark Legree didn't pan out. 2 ball hawks over the top with Kam and Bobby as nickel LB's would be all kinds of bad ass.