THE CELEBRITY OF RUSSELL WILSON

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
THE CELEBRITY OF RUSSELL WILSON
Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:06 pm
  • Is this truly becoming incredible? I'm trying to think of another player in Seahawks history (and I've been around since day one) that has hit a national celebrity status as quickly as Russell Wilson... Maybe the Boz? but that was different, way more of a side-show freak type of thing... RW is all over the National Media, he's a snow ball rolling down hill and it continues to build and pick up steam. And it's a respect, a reverence, a recognition of a special player in the making, a special person kind of thing. His agent's phone must be ringing off the hook this week.

The media liked Matt, and I think Matt will have a pretty good media career once he retires but it took Matt years and a Super Bowl run to get any media face time.

Where is Andrew Luck this week? Where's RG3? I know he's re-cooping from surgery but still if they wanted him they'd have a camera in his face... Kaepernick? If the 9ers had been knocked out in the first round I fully doubt he'd be getting any attention and barely a mention.

It really is incredible, a Seahawks phenomenon, and it's going to be interesting to see how it continues (to some extent) through this offseason. Hell, I'm sure they'll be all over him interviewing RW during the combine and draft weeks, analyzing his path last year and getting his thoughts on that experience...
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: THE CELEBRITY OF RUSSELL WILSON
Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:13 pm
  • Isn't he shooting a SB spot too right now? I know he's in NO currently.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 pm
  • Yeah I said this when he went on NFL Network on Championship Weekend. Wilson has become one of the media "favorites". They guy that the public loves to hear more about. He's well-spoken, he's good, and he has the underdog factor. All of those things add up to a guy that the media is going to be all over. He's a superstar in the making.

And that just means more exposure for the Hawks too. NFL Network will want to show more Seahawk highlights because of Russell Wilson. They will get more Seahawk interviews because of Russell Wilson. We will get more primetime games because of Russell Wilson.

I love it.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 pm
  • Definitely seems like the NFL hype machine has taken a hold of the Wilson story. You can see from their online Pro Bowl coverage they were starting up the hype machine. Now with him being in New Orleans, you are getting a lot of stories on him due to all the press on site for the Superbowl. They have to fill air time with something, why not the Wilson story?
    Last edited by drdiags on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm
  • I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and we have a sport store here called, "Scheel's Sporting Good". In the past their Seahawks gear has been scant at best. This year they beefed it up a little bit, and now the general Omaha public can buy Lynch, Flynn, and finally Wilson jerseys.

I was just there on Saturday. The NFL section was, for the most part, dead. There was only one team's gear gathering any attention. I showed up in my gear that I got at the pro shop this year and there were literally 7 people all asking the 'help' there to get down jerseys for them off the wall. Every one of them was leaving with Hawks gear. In OMAHA!!! At least 5 people walked out with #3 jerseys. Now I know of 18-20 Seahawks fans in Omaha because I have them all at my Hawk parties every Sunday--but this was unreal!!! Wilson is going to have us global in no time!
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:46 pm
  • KARAVARUS wrote:I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and we have a sport store here called, "Scheel's Sporting Good". In the past their Seahawks gear has been scant at best. This year they beefed it up a little bit, and now the general Omaha public can buy Lynch, Flynn, and finally Wilson jerseys.

I was just there on Saturday. The NFL section was, for the most part, dead. There was only one team's gear gathering any attention. I showed up in my gear that I got at the pro shop this year and there were literally 7 people all asking the 'help' there to get down jerseys for them off the wall. Every one of them was leaving with Hawks gear. In OMAHA!!! At least 5 people walked out with #3 jerseys. Now I know of 18-20 Seahawks fans in Omaha because I have them all at my Hawk parties every Sunday--but this was unreal!!! Wilson is going to have us global in no time!

Cool story bro...for once, I can say that seriously. That is really awesome to hear he's well liked all the way out there.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm
  • only player i can remember being in the national spotlight quite a bit was Alexander during the 05 season more so because of the TD record and MVP... but nothing like this... Would say i hope it doesn't go to his head, but LOL who am i kidding, it's RW.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm
  • It's all tremendously deserved. I'm looking forward to letting the "Championship Offseason" begin!

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:09 pm
  • First name Russell, last name Wilson.

*swoon*
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:36 pm
  • Only thing comparable in Seattle sports history is Griffey, Jr.

You can also probably make the case for Ichiro on a global scale, but in terms of just U.S. media coverage, I think Griffey, Jr., when he burst on the scene as "The Kid," is the closest parrallel.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:38 pm
  • There is something strange about Russell. It's like he's not even human. He absolutely amazes me, time and time, again. With his, skills on the football field, his absolute brilliance with the media, his work in the community. This guy is AMAZING. He's kind of one of those guys that you just figure is good at EVERYTHING. I'm so happy to see he is finally getting all of the respect and attention he deserves.. I can't wait for next season!!!! Championship Off season!!!
    RussWILSON3
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:19 pm
  • I loved seeing the man love between him and Brees. lol.

I have been convinced about Wilson for most of the season. I knew he was IT!!!
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm
  • Russell Wilson is Paul Allen's stepford QB courtesy of billions of dollars.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:32 pm
  • Russell getting some Pepsi love!

"@Gatorade: .@DangeRussWilson will be with us tomorrow at the Gatorade #FuelBar! Send us your questions using #AskRussell! #SB47"
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• KARAVARUS wrote:I live in Omaha, Nebraska, and we have a sport store here called, "Scheel's Sporting Good". In the past their Seahawks gear has been scant at best. This year they beefed it up a little bit, and now the general Omaha public can buy Lynch, Flynn, and finally Wilson jerseys.

Yeah, I live in SoCal about an hour north of San Diego and my son is a freshman in HS. For the last month or so he's telling me, all his buddy's talk about when it comes to football is the Seahawks and Russell Wilson. He said there were quite a few that decided they were going to be Seahawks fans now because of Russell... they were even accusing him of being a bandwagoner and a couple of his buds that have known him since pre-school came to his rescue and verify his lifelong Seahawks allegience.... funny stuff.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• Elusive
    Fast
    Accurate
    Big Arm
    Nice Touch
    Super High football IQ
    Avoids the big hit
    Pocket passer
    Can pass on the run
    Can pass in the air
    Can pass off back foot
    Can pass across body
    Incredible work ethic
    Humble
    Professional
    Honest
    Proud to be a Seahawk
    Amazing person
    Coolest customer ever

The media can't help but love the guy, he is their dream come true in that they can write crazy good stories about him and don't have to worry about him making them look bad with off field problems. His celebrity status is just beginning.

Is this even real?? THIS guy is a Seahawks QB? We have never had a "star" QB here, the closest was Hass.. Russell Wilson is off the charts. When the dust settles, Wilson will be the elite of the elite. People said he would have to be perfect, like Drew Brees, then he went out and did better than perfect.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:37 pm
  • He carries himself with class, is obviously very focused, and being tight with a guy like Brees can only help. If he becomes near the QB that Brees is, we're in very good hands for years to come.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:39 pm
  • hawker84 wrote:only player i can remember being in the national spotlight quite a bit was Alexander during the 05 season more so because of the TD record and MVP... but nothing like this... Would say i hope it doesn't go to his head, but LOL who am i kidding, it's RW.

Yeah, Shaun got quite a bit of press that year, but he was also somewhat of a devisive figure in the press, maybe not quite as much as on this board, but there were quite a number of the talking heads that didn't like Shaun or at least didn't like Shaun's game.

I don't think I've heard a negative comment about RW yet...
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:11 pm
  • Russell seems humble and genuine, you don't see him talking about himself. He quickly turns the conversation to his team or team mates. People are tired of the, look how awesome I am , athletes. They want somebody they can relate to. Russell doesn't act like he is better than every one and fans can appreciate that.
    He is a breath of fresh air and we are only at the beginning, the future is very bright.
    SSEHAWK
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:30 pm
  • loafoftatupu wrote:Elusive
    Fast
    Accurate
    Big Arm
    Nice Touch
    Super High football IQ
    Avoids the big hit
    Pocket passer
    Can pass on the run
    Can pass in the air
    Can pass off back foot
    Can pass across body
    Incredible work ethic
    Humble
    Professional
    Honest
    Proud to be a Seahawk
    Amazing person
    Coolest customer ever

My apologies. I've been in schools so long that I thought you were trying to put together some kind of acrostic poem
    about Wilson and I was thinking, "What a complete dipshit!"
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:57 pm
  • Very good point SSEHAWK, this is exactly why I can't stand Klapperdink, he's all about "look at me, look at me" it's beyond annoying. Wilson is a true leader, and is about TEAM first.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:59 pm
  • He is winning the offseason now too.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:12 pm
  • Im almost embarrased at my man-love for him where I click on every link where he's doing a TV or radio interview, even if he is going to be asked the same questions. Termendous on and off the field. I guess it comes from never having this kind of potential as a franchise Seahawk QB....anyone else find yourself wondering sometimes if this kid is too good to be true?
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Starter

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 pm
  • I've never seen anything close in all my life as a Seahawks fan. Staggering, really. No other Seahawks player, or really any other Seattle sports icon, has come close to this big of a splash so quickly.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * Natural Rubbing Action *

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:No other Seahawks player, or really any other Seattle sports icon, has come close to this big of a splash so quickly.

Griffey became THE FACE of Major League Baseball almost immedietely. The guy was hyped like Lebron coming out and 'dat swing.

Ichiro and A-Rod had MVP numbers in their first complete seasons and got plenty of media attention. I agree that Russell has gone off the charts, but it's a little unfair to say no other young Seattle sports superstars have come close to this.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:32 pm
  • $$$
    PAT206
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:44 pm
  • another sports figure that came to mind as far as the city of Seattle and state of washington embraced him and was beloved by all, and the media ate him up was randy Johnson, when he came out of the bullpen to close that game, that got us into the playoffs... of course there was the Edgar triple, that was huge sports wise, but he was never a national media darling..

ya i'd have to agree, Jr. is probably the closest we've had... Wow to think we've had some great players in all sports come through here over the years, and RW has made a bigger splash then all of them... amazing.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 pm
  • HawkFan72 wrote:And that just means more exposure for the Hawks too. NFL Network will want to show more Seahawk highlights because of Russell Wilson. They will get more Seahawk interviews because of Russell Wilson. We will get more primetime games because of Russell Wilson.

I love it.

I wonder how many Sunday and Monday night games we get this year because of Russell Wilson? I'd guess that we get equal time with SF, Denver, New England and Green Bay!
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:19 am
  • Riley12 wrote:
    loafoftatupu wrote:Elusive
    Fast
    Accurate
    Big Arm
    Nice Touch
    Super High football IQ
    Avoids the big hit
    Pocket passer
    Can pass on the run
    Can pass in the air
    Can pass off back foot
    Can pass across body
    Incredible work ethic
    Humble
    Professional
    Honest
    Proud to be a Seahawk
    Amazing person
    Coolest customer ever

My apologies. I've been in schools so long that I thought you were trying to put together some kind of acrostic poem

Never... Ever... use Poetry in a reference to me. I should have used a numbering/bullet system. I actually meant to list "Pros" at the top for reason he gets attention, then I was going to list the "Cons" and there just wasn't any.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:26 am
  • Wilson could announce he was the return of the Green River killer and he would be lauded for keeping the streets clean.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 am
  • Surprised no one has started a Wilson Haiku Thread!

Russell Wilson moves.
    A ball is thrown.
    More history is written.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 am
  • I have NFLN on downstairs, pretty much all day long during football season, so when I get coffee, take breaks or whatever I can rewind it and check stuff out, it seems like every 15-30 minutes, I hear a call from Raible screaming "Touchdown Seahawks", so I go down to check it out and it is some reference to RW in some way, whether they are running tape of him or interviewing him, the guy is getting a lot of coverage.

Normally that kind of attention bothers me in how the player might react to it, but not with Russell, you just KNOW that he is going to handle it like he does everything else.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 am
  • We are all blessed to have him as our QB.

Never felt this way about our team before(I started watching around '85).
    DericLee
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am
  • There's never been a player on this team since I've been watching them where I really root for them as a person more than just the fact they're wearing a Seahawk uniform.

It's great having him on this team, and we all hope he plays his whole career here.

I can't wait to see what the future holds for him. We can't thank this guy enough. What a remarkable person and player.
    No autographs please
    Jerhawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:42 am
  • I wonder how many "New" Hawk fans have arrived since we drafted him? My brother says his following is HUGE. Everybody just loves this kid.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 am
  • loafoftatupu wrote:I have NFLN on downstairs, pretty much all day long during football season, so when I get coffee, take breaks or whatever I can rewind it and check stuff out, it seems like every 15-30 minutes, I hear a call from Raible screaming "Touchdown Seahawks", so I go down to check it out and it is some reference to RW in some way, whether they are running tape of him or interviewing him, the guy is getting a lot of coverage.

Normally that kind of attention bothers me in how the player might react to it, but not with Russell, you just KNOW that he is going to handle it like he does everything else.

I commute to work about an hour each way, so I'm listening to the early morning and evening sports radio - I'm usually pushing the buttons between about 3 different stations. The last month or so it seems in those 2 commute hours there's been no less than 5 to 8 mentions of RW/Seahawks in regards to any number of different topics.... as opposed to prior to about Oct. 2012 when they probably couldn't find Seattle on a map...

This is in SoCal radio land...
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 am
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:No other Seahawks player, or really any other Seattle sports icon, has come close to this big of a splash so quickly.

Griffey became THE FACE of Major League Baseball almost immedietely. The guy was hyped like Lebron coming out and 'dat swing.

Ichiro and A-Rod had MVP numbers in their first complete seasons and got plenty of media attention. I agree that Russell has gone off the charts, but it's a little unfair to say no other young Seattle sports superstars have come close to this.

yeah but... baseball is stupid.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 pm
  • Riley12 wrote:
    Fast
    Accurate
    Big Arm
    Nice Touch
    Super High football IQ
    Avoids the big hit
    Pocket passer
    Can pass on the run
    Can pass in the air
    Can pass off back foot
    Can pass across body
    Incredible work ethic
    Humble
    Professional
    Honest
    Proud to be a Seahawk
    Amazing person
    Coolest customer ever

You mean efabnsapccccihphpac isn't a word?...
    Last edited by razgriz737 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:
    Riley12 wrote:
    Fast
    Accurate
    Big Arm
    Nice Touch
    Super High football IQ
    Avoids the big hit
    Pocket passer
    Can pass on the run
    Can pass in the air
    Can pass off back foot
    Can pass across body
    Incredible work ethic
    Humble
    Professional
    Honest
    Proud to be a Seahawk
    Amazing person
    Coolest customer ever

You mean fabnsapccccihphpac isn't word?...

I just kept thinking of what the guy does well, obviously in a random manner. Then couldn't find anything that could be considered a flaw.. NOTHING. I mean really, is there even ONE?
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:52 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:yeah but... baseball is stupid.

Whoa, hold on there.... I know your Canadian but don't forget our man Russell was a professional baseball player and pretty good at that too, and a shortstop to boot... and shortstops are typically the best athletes on the field! :D

If someone put a hockey stick in his hands he'd probably excel at that too!
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:31 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information