Sac Mock 1.0 (5 Rounds)

Sac

Reaction score
So, I'm haphazardly throwing together an early mock based on what we need mixed in with a dash of "we really have no idea what PC and JS are going to do" and a pinch of "players with uniqueness and fit the win forever philosophy". Feel free to mock my Mock.

1 - Dion Jordan - DE - Oregon

Another Leo/DE that fits a need with Clemmons coming off injury and has a massive 6'7" frame but at 250 lbs still has plenty of room to fill out.

No questioning his motor or hustle. In a few years, he may be able to play 4-3 DE, but must add weight and more power to his game.
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/prof ... ct_id=3393

[youtube]1UwVrBRruEk[/youtube]

2 - Brandon Williams - DT - Missouri Southern

Some chatter lately about this guy jumping to the 1st round because of recent Senior Bowl reports and a pending amazing workout, but I'm guessing the small school stigma hits him the way Wagner got hit with it last year. Sounds like a 3-Tech to me. Last I checked we needed one of those.

I've watched Brandon Williams play the past several years and tell you this DT is going to make an impact in the NFL. He has dominate speed, power and agility. At the Senior Bowl practice this week in Mobile Alabama Brandon is making the D1 offensive linemen look woefully under skilled.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/prof ... ct_id=3551

[youtube]WGSMeSZXQdM[/youtube]

3 - Joseph Fauria - TE - UCLA

People are going to ridicule this one because he gets knocked for maybe not always giving the most effort, but I think that's something that coaching and RW can pound out of him. Having an ass hat for a coach at UCLA probably hurts him a little and the name Fauria just doesn't go over well on .net but...

He is very tall (6'7") and is a very difficult match-up for linebackers to cover. Will offer his quarterback a nice big target over the middle. Lacks a burst off the line, yet he can shed contact easily to make his way up-field. Good vertical and made a crazy highlight against Stanford by hurdling a defender on his way to the end zone.
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/prof ... ct_id=3440

[youtube]t8xyJRjIPTk[/youtube]

4 - Quinton Patton - WR - Louisiana Tech

Not a true burner and is expected to run a 4.45 - 4.5 forty but has good "football speed". At 6'2" guy that is thought to be a #2 WR, but could develop. Strengths and weaknesses to follow.

Strengths:
• Good height with the frame to bulk up further
• Smooth natural athlete with very quick feet
• Reliable hands to snatch balls away from body
• Nice ball skills as well as excellent body control
• Is shifty, creative and elusive following the catch
• Shows ability to get off of the line of scrimmage
• Decent awareness and instincts for the game
• Active with a good motor and solid intangibles
• Tough and gives respectable effort as blocker

Weaknesses:
• Lacks top speed / burst and doesn't separate
• Not very explosive and isn't a vertical threat
• Tendency to round off routes and needs polish
• Too often failed to execute the difficult catches
• Not particularly physical and must get stronger
• Didn't make an impact as return man in college

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... Patton.php

Some other guy has a disagreement on weaknesses here:
I disagree with a few things:
1) He's absolutely an excellent young vertical receiver. He accelerates into his route, stacks the defender and separates very well. And he can track the ball down the field very well.

2) His route-running is very good. He has the awareness/body control/fluidity/quickness to be exceptional in that area. You can see it on the speed outs they run and with his quick feet at the LOS and all of his routes on the outside.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=55009

[youtube]htOC2hKV7iM[/youtube]

5 - Zaviar Gooden - OLB - Missouri

Dude runs a 4.39 forty. Seattle continues to throw "waves of speed" at opposing offenses
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingR ... Gooden.php

I know I know it's Bleacher Report":2k29fki9 said:
Of Gooden’s 80 tackles in 2011, 54 of them were solo tackles. In 2010, 50 of his 85 tackles were of the solo variety.

Having a linebacker who can stop a running back or receiver on his own is important, especially in the super-physical SEC.

Whether it’s stonewalling a running back coming through the line or chasing down a receiver in the flats, Gooden is comfortable making tackles all over the field.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1290 ... iar-gooden

[youtube]XF_nkE3iqUQ[/youtube]

Ok, now poke holes in everything I just did.

kearly

Reaction score
Hey Sac, great work! Mock drafts are 10x more fun when reasoning and video is included. Since you put some work into this, here are some thoughts on it:

Dion Jordan:

It's kind of gotten to the point now where I don't even look at stats when doing player evaluations. Nick Reed was getting close to 15 sacks a year for a major program. Geno Atkins had 0 (!) sacks during his junior season and just 3 sacks during his senior season at Georgia. Sacks don't tell the whole story. Not usually.

Well, I'm going to shit on my own point now, because I think sacks DO tell the story for Dion Jordan. Last season he had just 5 sacks, and 14.5 sacks total over 3 seasons at DE. He was held without a sack on 7 of his 11 games that season. That lack of production isn't an accident- Jordan is basically a very stiff pure edge rusher. It takes more imagination than I possess to see him as a 4-3 DE in the NFL. Most analysts agree- and see him as a 3-4 OLB.

Rather than a DE, I see Jordan as a swiss army knife type LB in a 4-3. He has the speed to cover, he has the physicality to press at the line, he's got the explosiveness and long arms to be a good blitzer. You don't see 6'7" linebackers every day, but in Seattle's scheme he'd be a really interesting player. Granted, he'd probably be as raw as they come playing LB, but that hasn't deterred Pete in the past. I think if Seattle drafted Jordan, he'd probably end up playing linebacker at some point, if not right away.

Brandon Williams:

Good pick. This is where I think Williams will probably go. Williams is not a prototypical 3-tech, but if Quinn can coach this guy up you could be looking at Haloti Ngata with a 2nd round pick price tag. Williams might also provide an escape route at the 5-tech if Red Bryant's foot problems follow him into next season. Drafting Williams and starting two big bodies in the middle would help protect Wagner from guards and centers, and it would boost our ailing run defense. Most importantly, it might finally convince Carroll to seek out a more conventional 5-tech knowing that he already has two very big bodies on the line.

Joseph Fauria:

Nothing against Fauria, but I don't like this pick for the Seahawks. Zach Ertz and possibly Gavin Escobar would be the only two TE's in this draft that I'd start over McCoy on day 1. And if you are going to draft a #3 TE, it shouldn't be with a 3rd round pick, especially when one of the LEO/LB positions still needs to be filled (depending on whether you view Jordan as a DE or LB). This is a really deep draft at TE too- you will find some excellent value at the position in rounds 4-6. Vance McDonald is a name that keeps coming up, for example. If I thought I was getting a star TE, I'd draft one very early, but otherwise I think it makes more sense to grab one much later and take advantage of a deep class.

Quinton Patton:

Quinton Patton is basically this year's Brian Quick draft stock story- an FCS / JUCO WR that gets vaulted into the early 2nd round despite having very ordinary measurables and lukewarm tape. It baffles me. Patton probably won't last nearly this long, although personally I'd grade him a 6th rounder in a ridiculously deep WR class.

Zaviar Gooden:

Great pick. Not sure he'd last this long, but this would be a great pick if it happened. He's essentially the fastest linebacker in the draft.

Though I guess this means you view Jordan as a DE, which means I like that 1st round pick a lot less.

Overall grade: B-

This isn't a bad collection of talent, but it will very likely fail to repair our pass rush and it doesn't really capitalize on an amazing WR class. It's also very risk heavy with picks 1,2,4,5 all being projects. Favorite pick was probably Gooden, but I think he goes in round 3. He reminds me a little of Demario Davis last year, who went in the 3rd round of a better LB draft class. Williams is a high upside pick but I'd like it more in a draft that doesn't count on him to add pass rush. It would be a bit of a revelation if a 340 pound DT was the missing spark our pass rush needed.

McGruff

Reaction score
No one on .net should hate the name Fauria, who is still the best TE this team has ever had.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":g4c7y4fn said:
No one on .net should hate the name Fauria, who is still the best TE this team has ever had.
Thought police alert.

Fauria would not even be the best TE on the current team.

McGruff

Reaction score
Most productive then . . . Regardless, on a team with a history of weak TE play, Fauria is at the top of,the career pack.

I believe Miller will eventually be there, and from a pure talent perspective Stevens was the best. But looking at a whole career, its either Fauria or Tice.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
I agree with Kearly. If Dion Jordan is availible and the Hawks take him. It is as a OLB. That goes against conventional wisdom. But that is what this FO does.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
McGruff":2pfj6b52 said:
Most productive then . . . Regardless, on a team with a history of weak TE play, Fauria is at the top of,the career pack.

I believe Miller will eventually be there, and from a pure talent perspective Stevens was the best. But looking at a whole career, its either Fauria or Tice.
Fauria and Tice were terrible offensive weapons. Look up their stats. Pathetic.

Tice was a decent run-blocker.

Talent-wise, Zach Miller is BY FAR the best TE the Seahawks have ever had.

Stevens flashed but could never sustain and lacked focus/consistency. He's a knucklehead. Always will be, imo.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Gooden sounds very enticing.. I'm wondering if he's the type of player PC/JS fall in love with and take a little earlier than people expect. Reading up on him, many compared him to another former Missouri Tiger who is pretty damn good at OLB - Sean Witherspoon.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Even as a Ducks fan, I don't see it with Dion Jordan. Despite his unique size, I never noticed him much while watching the Duck defense (and you know, there were a lot of opportunities to do so.). I don't have high hopes for him because while he has a lot of measurables, I just don't know what he's good at actually doing. Covering tight ends, maybe?

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":1cziykmz said:
Hey Sac, great work! Mock drafts are 10x more fun when reasoning and video is included. Since you put some work into this, here are some thoughts on it:

Geno Atkins had 0 (!) sacks during his junior season and just 3 sacks during his senior season at Georgia. Sacks don't tell the whole story. Not usually.

How is this even possible? He's the best DT in the NFL....wow.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The thing about Geno Atkins, he definitely showed what he could do in the Senior Bowl. I was so bummed when we didn't draft him because his abilities were plain as day in that one game. My guess is his coaching in Georgia was sub par and maybe his reps were low. Either way, Atkins talent was there when he was at Georgia, it just wasn't on display.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I agree with Kearly about Dion Jordan, I think he could be a big boom or bust pick. Maybe not an every down lineman player taking on OT's but as a chess piece and especially an underneath coverage WLB the guy could be awesome. Against modern TE, his length and speed could be something that could possibly tip the scales in Seattle's favor. I do like seeing him chasing down plays across the line of scrimmage, his skills seem to fit a LB and he would be an oddity at that height in a 4-3 defense but the raw potential looks like it's there. I saw some tape that looks like he is covering slot WR straight up, that is crazy. Also, in 3rd and long, he could probably play the line and stunt on a blitz. The possibilities for a defensive coordinator could be endless. The more I think about it the more I think Pete and John might make that pick.

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Kearly. The reason I put Dion Jordan in the first is due to his great length, speed, and pursuit from behind. He still chases guys down and he really does look like a "Leo" to me.

I put Fauria in the third as kind of a joke, but he would make a great red zone target.

Patton for some reason just pops off the screen to me. Very quick feet, and suddenness.

But the prizes to me are Brandon Williams and Gooden.

cover-2

Reaction score
I like it! The player I want most in this draft is Dion Jordan, he could be a lethal weapon on our defense. But, I would be really surprised if he fell to the bottom of the 1st round.

I'm intrigued with Brandon Williams and I would not be opposed to taking him in the 2nd round.

I'm not a fan of Fauria and I would rather draft half a dozen other TE's in this years draft ahead of him. But, I do think the TE position needs to be addressed somewhere in the first four rounds of the draft.

I like Patton ability to create separation and think he would be great value in the 4th round.

I'm not a fan of Gooden, but I could stomach taking a flyer on him with a 5th round pick.

CPHawk

Reaction score
People miss the point of Jordan. If what you want is sacks, he spent 50-70% of his time being asked to do other things rather then chase the QB. He was basically a OLB already, rarely being let lose to just go and get the QB, but when he was he got there a lot. He's a guy who can do it all, cover, rush the QB and he if good at getting off blocks. There where times early in games all he did is play a true DE and he was very dominant, then Aliotti would make drop back into coverage the rest of the game. Fresno game comes into mind, he had 5 tackles in the first 5 minutes then the coaches forced him to play back the rest of the game.

I believe he can be successful as either a true DE or a OLB, he's that good of an athlete. He's a guy who can also put on another 10-20 lbs pretty easily.

kearly

Reaction score
Fun Fact: Dion Jordan is a 49ers fan. He'd be something like the 5th or 6th Seahawk to be a 49ers fan before coming here.

CPHawk":168m7eqe said:
People miss the point of Jordan. If what you want is sacks, he spent 50-70% of his time being asked to do other things rather then chase the QB.

I've watched several Dion Jordan compilations, and this hasn't been the case in the games I've broken down. The majority of his snaps are at DE. He does sometimes line up on slot WRs and he does drop into coverage fairly often, but nowhere near 50-70%. I'd say probably more like 20%.

Jordan as a pass rusher is a little like Bruce Irvin- he's not blessed with a repertoire of moves but generates pressure against college athletes with 1st round athleticism. Like Irvin, he is a bit of a featherweight with leverage issues and handles run blocks about as well as a linebacker would. And like Irvin, Jordan has weak looking arms and doesn't know how to use them. Irvin produced though- and there was definitely an "it factor" that Irvin possessed that Jordan lacks as a pure pass rusher. More specifically, Irvin is more explosive, more nimble and is completely unrelenting.

That said, the more I watch Jordan the more I fall in love with his potential as a 4-3 OLB or perhaps as a Julian Peterson type LB/DE hybrid. I just watched the USC compilation again and it seemed like Jordan was getting a hit on Matt Barkley every 5th play, and it was almost always in situations where Jordan had a free pass to the QB. Put this guy in situations where he can get through with minimal obstruction (i.e. blitzing) and he will get you sacks. He looks awesome in coverage by front seven standards and seems like a sound tackler too.

The fun thing about Jordan- he's one of a kind. There is no previous NFL player that makes for a good comparison. If the Seahawks draft Dion Jordan, they'd be heading into uncharted territory, and they usually come out big winners when they've done that in the past.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":8ao6l7iz said:
Jordan as a pass rusher is a little like Bruce Irvin- he's not blessed with a repertoire of moves but generates pressure against college athletes with 1st round athleticism. Like Irvin, he is a bit of a featherweight with leverage issues and handles run blocks about as well as a linebacker would. And like Irvin, Jordan has weak looking arms and doesn't know how to use them.

Not sure which games you watched but keep in mind the 2nd half of this season he was basically playing with one arm. He was playing with a torn labrum that required surgery after the season.

My take on Jordan is that he's going to be a very, very good NFL player if he can stay healthy. But i'm pretty worried that he's going to have Walter Thurmond syndrome. He always seems to have something wrong with him. I'd draft him on his ability in the first round, but based on what I know about his injury history I dont think i'd touch him.