EPL 2012-2013

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: EPL 2012-2013
Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 am
  • Gate, who on this board has claimed Liverpools stability? Its almost getting to the point where your posts are so inane they are no longer humourous. "The real Arsenal?" Boy kid, you still haven't sorted out the ebbs and flows of the Prem. The "real" anybody versus the one off good performances are the difference in rationality and fan boy. Honestly, who has looked exceedingly good or bad this season? Chelseas top 3 and recently lost to QPR. QPR is relegation bound but has beaten the European champions. There are a hundred similar examples. This is more than an anomoly, I believe they are true reflections of both the parity and mediocrity settling into the PL these days.

Anyways, Hazards actions are despicable. I don't care if that was Michu lying on the ball, you don't kick someone in the ribs. He will take a hefty beating on this one. Plastic fans can not turn away from this one no matter how much they villify the immaturity of a (clearly mature) ball boy

Looking forward to Wednesday. Always fun when two big teams meet mid week
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 pm
  • Did I say it was someone on this forum who said Liverpool are stable? No I didn't.

As for "The Real Arsenal" comment, I wasn't the one who said it first, I just picked it up from the commentator of the Arsenal match after this goal.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 pm
  • nothing
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:26 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Ummm.... look back a few posts. 'essentially all Liverpool fans are saying they are stable after their win over Norwich.... and you've been touting the "real Arsenal" thing for some time now....

its like talking to a kid

he is a kid. I have to remind myself of this on occasion so that I don't just hate him. He has that certain naivite that you only get with neuveau soccer fans.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:08 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:he is a kid. I have to remind myself of this on occasion so that I don't just hate him. He has that certain naivite that you only get with neuveau soccer fans.

true, and appreciate the talk down. taken care of
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:54 am
  • Christ on a bike. What a let down
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:00 am
  • 7 EPL clubs have crashed out of the FA cup 4th round. Norwich and Liverpool suffering the more embarrassing upsets in my mind. That's not to say Luton Town and Oldham don't deserve to still be in it, they made their fans proud and put forth inspiring efforts to make it through.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 am
  • FA Cup 5th Round Draw

Oldham vs Everton
    Arsenal vs Blackburn
    Man City vs Leeds
    Man United vs Reading
    Huddersfield/Leicester City vs Wigan
    MK Dons vs Barnsley
    Luton vs Millwall.
    Middlesbrough v Brentford or Chelsea

Oldham get rewarded for their big win by getting the other half of the Merseyside Derby. United get their 3rd straight EPL opponent in the FA Cup. Seems like Millwall got the best of the draw getting non-League side Luton Town.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 am
  • Here gate, what's gonna be your excuse when Arsenal crash out of the FA cup? Better competition than Bradford?
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:44 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Here gate, what's gonna be your excuse when Arsenal crash out of the FA cup? Better competition than Bradford?

We'll cross that bridge when and if we get there. At least my club's still in the FA Cup.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:52 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Here gate, what's gonna be your excuse when Arsenal crash out of the FA cup? Better competition than Bradford?

We'll cross that bridge when and if we get there. At least my club's still in the FA Cup.

I dont mind getting knocked out of the cup. Would have loved a deeper run, but with the lack of depth in this squad (as apparent in the back line choices today as we save up for Wednesday) we could probably do without the games.

However (and that was an emphatic HOWEVER).... losing to Oldham and looking like a JV team from the keeper to the top leaves a nasty taste. Im not going to say its unacceptable, as these results are somehow quite common this year. but it wasnt pretty and casts doubts on the futures of Jones, Wisdom, Coates and Robinson (and maybe Allen). We thought we would simply outscore them, but Oldham put their body in front of quite a few shots to their credit, and we did just fine missing when they werent in the way.

Not a good day at LFC.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:11 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I dont mind getting knocked out of the cup. Would have loved a deeper run, but with the lack of depth in this squad (as apparent in the back line choices today as we save up for Wednesday) we could probably do without the games.

However (and that was an emphatic HOWEVER).... losing to Oldham and looking like a JV team from the keeper to the top leaves a nasty taste. Im not going to say its unacceptable, as these results are somehow quite common this year. but it wasnt pretty and casts doubts on the futures of Jones, Wisdom, Coates and Robinson (and maybe Allen). We thought we would simply outscore them, but Oldham put their body in front of quite a few shots to their credit, and we did just fine missing when they werent in the way.

Not a good day at LFC.

We all can, and should, agree that Oldham deserved to get no less than a replay with their performance. They never let Liverpool intimidate them, and went right at them without fear. Oldham's defense deserves tons of praise for defending the lead they had, it almost seemed like Suarez and company were kicking at a brickwall, as almost every shot Liverpool took in the 2nd half was blocked up front. On Liverpool's end I think most to blame for Oldham's goals is Skrtel and Jones as both of Matt Smith's goals came about because of a mishap in the Reds' defense, Brad Jones more as Skrtel couldn't do much about the ball going off his head. The 3rd Oldham goal nobody could do anything about it since is was a very good header that somehow slipped itself under the crossbar.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:45 pm
  • Gate... Oldham deserved atleast a replay because of the fragility with which Liverpool attacked the game. The fact that a brutish center forward can push our players around and high pressing midfielders disrupt our intricate passing lanes is nothing brilliantly new to the 4-3-3 (just look at us against Stoke, or review Barcas season last year, theres a reason they play more direct now). Did they play inspired? sure they did. Its the FA cup, these stories are annual, and they come when the top teams dont do their business. Thing is, we should have been up 4-1 at half.

Nope, this was all about the team sheet. Asking two teenagers and an unbalanced, gangly 20 year old to make up 3 of the 4 back line, and then move from the preferred 4-3-3 to a two man midfield composed not of the grit and teeth of Gerrard and Lucas but of the slight Joe Allen and the constantly searching for confidence Jordan Henderson put us in a hole before the game started (and merely 2 minutes later). all three goals could have been prevented. But its not the end product where the trouble lie but an inability to maintain possession, dispose of obvious chances (Borini, Gerrard) and hold Oldhams attack before it got to the deepest target (again, same issue as with Stoke). Sturridge floundered and Sterling (a poor choice in my mind tonight) pushed the ball right into pockets of defenders instead of space.

Gerrard and Downing should have had the start, and probably Carra as well.

Oh well...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:01 pm
  • Liverpool has a sizeable amount of problems, the chief concern I think is that Liverpool has a decent starting XI, and relative garbage after that. This problem reared its ugly head today. Joe Allen's best days were in Swansea, Sterling seems to have lost that special "something" that showed early in the season. Henderson is wildly inconsistent, Coates signed his own loan, or outright sale slip today.

Just not enough quality in the squad when our best isn't out there. Onwards and upwards I guess.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:33 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Liverpool has a sizeable amount of problems, the chief concern I think is that Liverpool has a decent starting XI, and relative garbage after that. This problem reared its ugly head today. Joe Allen's best days were in Swansea, Sterling seems to have lost that special "something" that showed early in the season. Henderson is wildly inconsistent, Coates signed his own loan, or outright sale slip today.

Just not enough quality in the squad when our best isn't out there. Onwards and upwards I guess.

easy there... cant think of too many clubs outside Barca (and maybe Citeh) that can put out two solid 11s. The problem was the choices were in places we really lacked depth. I like Allen, Henderson and Sterling. I thought there positioning was the problem today (Allen and Henderson should not be alone in a 4-4-2, Sterling should not be a midfielder, needs to be higher up the pitch.... it looked like a 4-2-4 most of the first half). We definitely need new wing backs. Wisdom may come good, but Robinson needs a loan spell.

Like you said, onward and upward, learn the lessons. Arsenal...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:35 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Liverpool has a sizeable amount of problems, the chief concern I think is that Liverpool has a decent starting XI, and relative garbage after that. This problem reared its ugly head today. Joe Allen's best days were in Swansea, Sterling seems to have lost that special "something" that showed early in the season. Henderson is wildly inconsistent, Coates signed his own loan, or outright sale slip today.

easy there... cant think of too many clubs outside Barca (and maybe Citeh) that can put out two solid 11s. The problem was the choices were in places we really lacked depth. I like Allen, Henderson and Sterling. I thought there positioning was the problem today (Allen and Henderson should not be alone in a 4-4-2, Sterling should not be a midfielder, needs to be higher up the pitch.... it looked like a 4-2-4 most of the first half). We definitely need new wing backs. Wisdom may come good, but Robinson needs a loan spell.

Like you said, onward and upward, learn the lessons. Arsenal...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:12 pm
  • Sterling will be fine. Wee dip in form, but he'll be back. Allen really hasn't done what he was brought in to do, and that's sad considering he was Rodgers' man. Henderson just has to go. Occasional flashed of good play just won't cut it. Borini's another one that can go. Useless.

Coates I think will come good eventually, and I like what Wisdom has shown so far, but really, we need to be beating the likes of Oldham, away from home or not. Shoddy defense has plagued us all season long, it HAS to be addressed. We can score goals now, and I think Suarez and Sturridge are going to be great together, but we're not winning the midfield battle anymore and our defense is shambolic at times. The defense seems to be more system-related, as these same players have played very well in years past, Agger and Skrtel especially.

Still, anyone expecting top 4 this year was dreaming. Still possible, and being out of the cup might help us in that respect, but I'd be chuffed with top-6 and an improving squad, and we might get that yet.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 am
  • Here Gate, was that the REAL Arsenal who conceded that goal or the fake one? I just wanna know if I should celebrate or not...
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 pm
  • That was the bad Arsenal. Besides I wonder how you were celebrating between minute 64 and minute 67.

Honestly I think we can say both teams got a deserved point. Liverpool should not have given up the lead, more so with how fast it happened, and Arsenal let a slow start nearly kill them again. And at the end both teams had great opportunities to take all 3 and just good defending and bad shots prevented that.

I was feeling right when I saw the team sheets that Mertesacker shouldn't be starting, Koscielny would have been a better choice, and the fact that he was part of that comedy act that lead to Suarez's goal. I was really worried when Gibbs went down and Andre "Half-a** Defender" Santos came on, but he played fairly okay, aside from his mistake that lead to Henderson's goal. Arsenal really gotta stop waiting 45 minutes to actually start playing, cause it's starting to piss me off. Now with Gibbs expected to miss 3 weeks, Wenger better get off his ass and buy a Left Back or we're gonna be attacked on the left side to no end.

On a slightly related note, can someone please help me explain to this moron exactly why Liverpool's new signing, Coutinho, wasn't selected for the game? Because he clearly doesn't understand the transfer rules.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:56 am
  • Arsenal deserved a point? Christ they were fortunate. Aside from a 10 minute spell Arsenal didnt look like they even deserved to be in the PL. Liverpool should have been up at half by 3 or 4. Suarez and Sturridges inability to capitalize on the blunders of the Arsenal back line coming out cost us, and Henderson's inability to finish that chip was painful.

Go to second half and you have Vermaleen handling the ball like he took it hot out of the oven. How is that not a penalty? We finally get the second and shut off for 10 minutes. Suarez' last minute effort was the best thing the keeper did all night.

Disappointed to not get the full three. We were better for long long stretches of time, but a lack of clinical finishing cost us.

for Arsenal solid effort from Wilshere, who may have bee MOTM for me, and Walcotts nice finish. and loved Podolski and Giroud's diving antics... Gate, you must be super proud of them, considering the drums you bang on Suarez.

I have to say Liverpools inconsistency will keep them from challenging the last CL spot, unless Everton and Tottenham switch off entirely. The talent in our squad is there, but this is the second 2 goal lead we've let go. Cant wait to see Countinho on that wing, although Downing has shown himself quite credible. Henderson had a good game, but still lost for stretches
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:00 am
  • Yeah Gate, not sure why you think Arsenal deserved a point there.

Agree with you on the inconsistency, Simon. Need to finish games.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 pm
  • Yeah, Liverpool should have been up at least 3-0 with how vulnerable Arsenal's defense was playing, but you weren't and paid for it. I said Arsenal deserved the point because of the fight back though the way you guys apparently are reading it you must think I'm saying Liverpool didn't deserve any points, they deserved at least a point, Liverpool deserved no less than a point. And again both teams had great chances at the end and both teams couldn't pull it through so let's just deal with it and not cause another stupid argument. As for the dives. First, what dive by Podolski? Second, I was at work listening to the game on talksport so I couldn't actually see the Giroud dive. And the reason I jump on Suarez about diving is cause it's so freaking obvious with him, not to mention he's admitted to diving.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 pm
  • Well this transfer deadline day is boring.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm
  • On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your clubs Winter Transfer Window.

I'd say 4 out of 10 for Arsenal, resigning Walcott was probably the most important deal. The biggest gripe I have is that they waited until the absolute last second to do anything at all(Monreal's signing was confirmed after the window closed). Arsenal raiding Malaga once again was a bit of a surprise, and to the best of my knowledge Nacho Monreal is a fairly decent signing. Wish they had made more signings but it's better than doing nothing.

Pretty big news hearing about Brek Shea joining fellow Countryman Geoff Cameron at Stoke City. I had a feeling Shea was gonna be Europe bound at some point.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:30 am
  • What I was trying to say was that Liverpool pissed that game away... should have had all three. this is a reoccurring them with them this season. Not so much about Arsenal, who were very fortunate that their two goals made any difference.

Liverpool has the worst shot percentage of any team in the PL.... awesome stat.

as for deadline day, id give Liverpool an 7.

We needed strikers and attackers and got two very good ones. However, we also needed a Left back, CBack and DM and didnt even attempt it. It sounds like Diakate will be here in the summer, but the Arsenal game just reiterated their weaknesses in the back. Going to have to deal with it while making a run at 4-6
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:18 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Liverpool has the worst shot percentage of any team in the PL.... awesome stat.

Didn't Liverpool lead the EPL in hitting the woodwork last year? Seems like they've gotten worse with their accuracy then.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm
  • Didn't see the Arsenal match, but I did listen to it on talksport. From what I heard, Arsenal actually played on the front foot from the word go for once. Begovic had a inspired performance in goal for Stoke and it took a nasty deflection to finally beat him, which to my knowledge was almost disallowed for Walcott being in an offsides position(luckily he was nowhere near the action so it was overruled by the head ref). I won't have a real definitive opinion until I see the whole match though, but it's nice to see Arsenal in a positive direction and now a point outside of the Top 4, provided Spurs muck it up tomorrow at West Brom.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm
  • Unlucky, but well played Liverpool. What a match too. 2 awesome Liverpool goals. Sturridge was great and Gerrard's goal was a Gerrard classic. But that goal of Aguero's was something else.

Bale had a great goal too, although Spurs are still looking pretty scratchy. I can't believe that we didn't get a striker. Hopefully Adebayor can come back from South Africa with a bit of form. We're going to need him. We're looking really good until the ball goes in the box and there's no-one there to do anything with it. If Dzeko were on this team he'd probably have 15-20 goals already.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm
  • Liverpool definitely should've won. Spurs are now in dire need of Adebayor to get back asap and in form too otherwise, there'll be some goal scoring missing and Everton, Arsenal and maybe Liverpool can take advantage if not.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:33 pm
  • In case any of you guys ever miss a match and want to watch them in full, check this site out http://www.footballorgin.com/
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:14 am
  • Sweet site, Gate, thanks

Liverpool didnt deserve to win anymore than they did against Arsenal. Failure to put away chances and another comical error (this time Reina) cost us points.

(yes, im bitter... we played very well, and thats encouraging... but this is getting old)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 pm
  • So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

Ferguson is showing just how great a manager he is. Constantly rebuilding teams and remaining at the top. Imagine how much better United would be if the Glazers debt wasn't there and they could spend money on replacements for Giggs and Scholes.

Mancini showing he ain't that great a manager. I think any semi competent coach could do better in the league and Champions league with unlimited money to spend on talent.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm
  • Just saw Cesc Fabregas' goal vs Uruguay, and I gotta say... great goalkeeping!
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

Ferguson is showing just how great a manager he is. Constantly rebuilding teams and remaining at the top. Imagine how much better United would be if the Glazers debt wasn't there and they could spend money on replacements for Giggs and Scholes.

Mancini showing he ain't that great a manager. I think any semi competent coach could do better in the league and Champions league with unlimited money to spend on talent.

Hold on? United's lack of depth is the Glazers fault? But Ferguson is a great manager because he's taking a 27million pound summer signing in Robin Van Persie and riding him like a farm mule? Doesnt hurt that Kagawa is there as well....

The Glazers have proven themselves fine owners of the Mancs. Any complaints from their fans are at best ignorant, atleast hypocritical and at worst plain xenophobia. United can p--- off

Benitez will last the season, but thats it. I assume Mourinho is first in line. However, I dont see Mancini lasting either, so which poorly run, unorganized PL team claims him? I say he goes to City. Chelsea will be left with hiring a retread (and yes, Mourinho is a retread, but not quite at the level of Scolari for example)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 am
  • Chelsea are a shambles ATM. Benitez gets most of the blame, but that team is just all over the place. The talent is too sporadic and the age is showing. they need a world class CM to compliment Mata and hazard, and they really need to get some proper strikers up front. their defense could use a few strong pieces, too. Still, they should be winning more games with that squad.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:14 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So how long until Benitez gets fired? I think it's time for a clear out for the team.

Hold on? United's lack of depth is the Glazers fault? But Ferguson is a great manager because he's taking a 27million pound summer signing in Robin Van Persie and riding him like a farm mule? Doesnt hurt that Kagawa is there as well....

The Glazers have proven themselves fine owners of the Mancs. Any complaints from their fans are at best ignorant, atleast hypocritical and at worst plain xenophobia. United can p--- off

Benitez will last the season, but thats it. I assume Mourinho is first in line. However, I dont see Mancini lasting either, so which poorly run, unorganized PL team claims him? I say he goes to City. Chelsea will be left with hiring a retread (and yes, Mourinho is a retread, but not quite at the level of Scolari for example)

Do you not think Utd's extravagant debt has some factor in player spending? They pay millions in debt interest alone. Pre Glazers they were debt free as a PLC and possibly the best run team going. Without loan and debts to pay off they would have been spending that money on the team. I personally hate Man Utd but I find it frightening to think what they would be like without the handicap of debt. Ferguson is a great manager because he consistently adapts to survive, has rebuilt numerous teams and outlasted every challenger that has came his way: Mourinho, Wenger, Mancini, Benitez etc. Everyone thought he was finished when Arsenal dominated for a few years, he came back, same with Mourinho. He's also not afraid to kick out a fan favorite rightly or wrongly who he feels has become a nuisance in the team in the team such as Keane, Beckham and Staam (probably his biggest mistake). That's before you even take his success at Aberdeen into account. His biggest failing at United is probably not winning more Champions League trophies.

I think he will retire at the end of the season if they win the league. I think either Mourinho or Moyes will take over.

I'm reluctant to think that Benitez will last the season, what a strange appointment.

Mancini will be there till the end of the season but his dismal Champions League campaign is grounds for sacking already.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 am
  • Glasgow... they spent more in the summer window than all but 2 PL teams? How is that "saddled with debt?" they spend plenty... the debt excuse is a handy way for xenophobic United fans to find any fault with American owners. Ferguson is a survivor for sure, there can be no dount. Im not going to crown him though. he's also a wind up machine, oversimplifying the game, refusing to change or adapt. they are three long balls away from being stoke city right now. but oh well, im just not a United fan and think Ferguson's rewarded far too much for his lack of depth and criticized far too less for his hypocritical antics. You says he not afraid to kick out a fan favorite... but he's too afraid to rightly criticize his players for the same thing he rails the press on over other players. the man's hypocrisy is almost laughable these days

One of United's biggest issues of late is Ferguson's inability to keep some of his younger players... and that list is growing. if you want depth, dont spend 45 million on two players when you can spend that on 5. But who does he blame? Spurs for "tapping up" his player who already left, and the rest of the world for not simply bowing down to his whims.

the sooner he retires the better
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:25 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Glasgow... they spent more in the summer window than all but 2 PL teams? How is that "saddled with debt?" they spend plenty... the debt excuse is a handy way for xenophobic United fans to find any fault with American owners. Ferguson is a survivor for sure, there can be no dount. Im not going to crown him though. he's also a wind up machine, oversimplifying the game, refusing to change or adapt. they are three long balls away from being stoke city right now. but oh well, im just not a United fan and think Ferguson's rewarded far too much for his lack of depth and criticized far too less for his hypocritical antics. You says he not afraid to kick out a fan favorite... but he's too afraid to rightly criticize his players for the same thing he rails the press on over other players. the man's hypocrisy is almost laughable these days

One of United's biggest issues of late is Ferguson's inability to keep some of his younger players... and that list is growing. if you want depth, dont spend 45 million on two players when you can spend that on 5. But who does he blame? Spurs for "tapping up" his player who already left, and the rest of the world for not simply bowing down to his whims.

the sooner he retires the better

They were spending that amount on players pre takeover and debt, this was before the stupendous SKY and BT new deal riches as well. Considering they are probably the biggest soccer franchise in terms of turnover and exposure spending that much is small change. Living in Seattle, the amount of people that i've came across that claim that Man United or Barcelona are their European team is staggering. Yet apart from Messi, many of them couldn't tell you a thing about them. In the UK people wear Yankees baseball caps, yet think it is a brand rather than a baseball team.

I agree with you that Ferguson has made a few mistakes lately. Sticking with Ferdinand who is past it and Vidic who is injury prone while getting rid of Pique was crazy. However, I think he is the master of the mind games to be honest and he has always won at them. Wenger, Benitez and Mourinho got sucked in and lost. At Aberdeen he created a siege mentality claiming that the Scottish media and refs were Glasgow biased, which worked wonders for his team. The only manager almost as good as him at mind games is Mourinho. This is arguably won of the poorest United teams in a long time in terms of quality, the fact he is well clear in the league despite Chelsea and City spending money like it is going out of fashion must be respected. As for not hearing criticism of his players, I think he tries to protect them in public whilst kicking their asses in private. If you read Roy Keanes autobiography you'll see how him and the club handle any trouble that players get into on or off the park. He has spies everywhere.

I think he will retire this season. The team needs rebuilding and I don't think he is interested in building another one hence the patchwork job this year. I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:46 pm
  • I'm not trying to defend Man Utd too much but the fact they are still competing with the big spenders of Chelsea and City is pretty good going.

I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote: I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.

I think this is pretty much spot on. He comes across as a knob and a bully but he has had a hell of a career.

As far as his continued success goes, the financial situation of the club may have changed somewhat but United are still spending way more on fees and wages than all but 2 or 3 other clubs. In reality, it's no surprise that United, City and Chelsea have been the only clubs to win the league in the last decade, is it?
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm
  • Just saw your last post. Agreed, largely. I think Ferguson spends his money more wisely than Mancini and Abramovich. He still spends a tonne of money though.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 pm
  • Hawkspur wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote: I hate the fact i'm defending Ferguson, he can be hugely unlikable but he is good at what he does.

I think this is pretty much spot on. He comes across as a knob and a bully but he has had a hell of a career.

As far as his continued success goes, the financial situation of the club may have changed somewhat but United are still spending way more on fees and wages than all but 2 or 3 other clubs. In reality, it's no surprise that United, City and Chelsea have been the only clubs to win the league in the last decade, is it?

Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

What you are now finding is that a lot of decent young English players are in the Championship. Some make it and get sold on for big fees to EPL teams but other prospects will end up remaining at Championship standard due to the standards of teams they are playing against.

I think you'll find that there are one or two teams at the top of most European leagues that spend like crazy. Anzhi, Zenit, Dynamo Kiev, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Malaga, Bayern Munich, Juventus, AC, Inter, PSG and Galatasaray are teams from off the top of my head that I'm guessing spend more than Spurs or Arsenal. But your point is valid, the finances of football are screwed up and it makes the product less appealing (in my mind) than the likes of the NFL, NRL, Super XV in terms of being an interesting league to follow.

The Dutch and Portuguese leagues are exceptions, I think.

As for the English talent, I'm not convinced that the influx of foreigners is entirely to blame for British teams being pony of late. The attitude to sport in schools is utterly lamentable, pathetic even. I'm planning to be back in New Zealand by the time my eldest son is at an age to play sports (should he want to) and a large part of that is that provision for sports over here is a joke.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.

Arsenal have a good foundation for the future with their "British Core", as they're calling it. The trick now is to not sell the best players they've got. Also, I don't really think Wenger's gonna stay past the end of his contract, at least not in the manager's position.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

One only really needs to look at PSG if you want an example of quantity not equalling quality. They've been buying like crazy and even though they're league leaders, it's pretty obvious that there's little to no chemistry between the players on the field for them.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:42 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I still think Arsenal can always be good again if Wengers future replacement actually sorted out the spine of the team. They won Championships with a spine of Seaman, Adam/Campbell/Keown, Viera, Bergkamp and Henry. They've never been that solid down the middle since.

Arsenal have a good foundation for the future with their "British Core", as they're calling it. The trick now is to not sell the best players they've got. Also, I don't really think Wenger's gonna stay past the end of his contract, at least not in the manager's position.

I still think they are soft at the back and need an enforcer in midfield i.e a Viera. Wanyama would be perfect for you guys.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:45 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Arsenal as well in '04. All English teams are spending crazy money at the moment compared to most leagues and in all honesty, outside of the top 6 the quality is not that great considering the sums involved. When crap like Robbie Savage and Titus Bramble are multi millionaires despite being very very average players you know something ain't right. The debts some of the lower EPL teams have is frightening. What you'll find though is that the English national team are in for a long period of decline. Why spend time developing young English talent through youth academies when you can buy foreign talent from abroad who are first team ready?

One only really needs to look at PSG if you want an example of quantity not equalling quality. They've been buying like crazy and even though they're league leaders, it's pretty obvious that there's little to no chemistry between the players on the field for them.

City have the exact same problem. It's a bunch of mercenaries banded together for the money. Chelsea had the same issue under Ranieri and it was only until Mourinho came that he built a proper team and had the personality to get those players playing for him. Chelsea now have the same issues again though with managers signing players who are only there for the money. Torres for example looks completely disinterested.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:32 pm
  • Glasgow, you're new here so you can be forgiven, but take our advise - try not to engage Gatehawk in conversation much.

You're welcome.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 am
  • PSG have no chemistry? arent they in the final 16 of the Champs League? And thats without Lucas Moura playing.... ridiculous statement.

Anyways... can begrudgingly admit to Ferguson's endurance as a manager.... but again I cant support any argument that suggests United are being somehow held back financially. You can post a spreadsheet on here if you want, but as it stands the Red Devils are running out the likes of De Gae, Rooney, RvP, Young, Evra, Kagawa etc at a very high pay each week. Seems hypocritical to suggest they need more money. Do they spend as much as City and Chelsea? No, but noone does outside of PSGs recent splurge and Madrids spree to catch Barca. Ferguson has spent better than his counterparts, which suggests his survival. I see Rodgers trying something similar to Wenger and Ferguson over the next couple windows at Liverpool, but with one significant (20 million plus) purchase coming in.

I dont like that we assume players who take high paydays to play at big clubs are "mercenaries" in one post, but suggest that Champs League is a major motivator in another. Which is it? are they mercenaries or motivated to play in the highest competition? Is RvP a mercenary? Fabregas? Moura/Modric/Ronaldo? Professional athletes should be given the chance to seek out new opportunities. Some seem to only condemn when its an easy fit, and overlook when it doesnt suit their argument.

City players, for example, are not mercenaries in my mind. They want that big game. City and Chelsea just have brought the right balance of talent in. Not on the players as much as they manager and DOC. But thats another post all together.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am
  • All the talk about money in futbol and especially the EPL makes me even more proud to be an Athletic Bilbao supporter. Even then, the crazy $ game is starting to effect us as well, what with Bayern Munich agreeing to pay the 45$ million buyout clause on Javi Martinez and Fernando Llorente refusing to sign for 4 million a year. I won't say that futbol is ruined because of this but when you couple it with the corruption, match fixing, it's obvious the game needs a makeover.

That said, I'll always be proud of the way Athletic handles their business and goes with NOTHING but homegrown players. Gotta love it.

AUPA ATHLETIC!!!
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information