Roster trivia question

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2xwxnkzl said:
kidhawk":2xwxnkzl said:
We have so many players that are 2014 and 2015 though, and we have to remember that the team can't extend the rookie contracts until after their third year in the league, so that hampers having them signed up long term, since a lot of our best young talent hasn't been in the league for 3 years. I really think our contract situation is in VERY good shape.

it's in good shape but only if we re-sign as many guys as we can early because we can't afford to sign everyone at once.

guys like golden tate need to be re-signed this year if we plan on keeping them long-term. that way we can front-load them vs. this year's cap rather than the next couple.

hence why I don't want to sign any huge free agents if we can help it.

That is the brilliance of the rookie cap. Since we can't sign extensions until year three, that limits the amount of young players we are even able to extend contracts to each year. They are spaced out rather well actually if you really dig into it.

Personally, I think Kam and Golden both get extended this offseason, but they won't be done til after we bring in the free agents we want. It's easier to structure an extension to get within the cap than it might be to bring in the free agents.

Earl is another one who becomes eligible to talk extension to, but he's signed for 2 more years, so he's no rush.