Votes: 19 14.6%
  • Mike Tice

Votes: 15 11.5%

• Total voters

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
razgriz737":34oe5x4n said:
loafoftatupu":34oe5x4n said:
Also, at the 2006 camp in Cheney, there were kids on the barrier calling players over to sign autographs. They were all yelling "hey 88" over and over again. My kid, all of 8 years old yelled "Mr Mili" and he walked right over, grabbed my kids brand new unsigned ball, with his pen and took it out to the field as practice was ending. He got signatures from Hass, Robbie Tobeck, Wistrom, Big Walt, Morris, Strong and even caught Tatupu who was out of the way. To top it off, Holmy was driving by in a golf cart and he stood on front of it (which was actually pretty funny because Holmy was all "hey, I don't want to hear it" in a joking manner) then he signed it with all the rest.

When Mili came back, he handed the ball to my kid and told him that he was the only kid that called to him by his name that entire day. That Mili signature meant EVERYTHING to my then 8 year old son. So Mili will always be the coolest to me.
Great story. I miss the training camps in Cheney. I went to VMAC for this first time this year, and it was still fun and is an awesome facility, but there was something about Cheney...seemed more informal I think.

I used to take the RV to some Yogi Bear RV park for training camp and it was a short drive from there everyday.

That 2006 camp had a HUGE crowd, daily. I have to add one story to it.

The fans would line up at the exit ramp from the locker room, so my kid would always want to get there early and have the best spot. He wouldn't leave.. On the ramp, in the shade, the players had a game console set up. Tobeck and Wistrom were playing something and arguing, swearing and talking trash to each other when a group of trainers came out with a kit behind Tobeck. Wistrom got up and held Tobeck down in his chair while the trainers proceeded to administer what appeared to be an extremely painful shot, in both of his shoulders. He SCREAMED f-bombs, regardless of the fans not 50ft away. After they were done, they put huge ice packs on his shoulders, wrapped in big Ace bandages. Tobeck got up, walked out towards the parking lot and just grunted, walking line a beat-up zombie.

Not a single fan tried to talk to him as he slipped through the barricade. As he neared a vehicle, he turned to Wistrom and said "your driving me back, I can't even put my (expletive) arms on the wheel" and sort of fell into the vehicle.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2qh36dut said:
Why no mention of John Carlson?

I wondered that also. That first season, in the first game I think Hass hit him for two TD's, he scored at least one from a ways out too. Then his use tapered off. I liked that guy a lot, but I looked at the Miller signing as an upgrade.

Largent80

Reaction score
pehawk":2efeq3zh said:
What was the TE named Teal or something like that? I banged his wife....had to be when I was goodlooking...so 90's sometime.

And you were belting out "don't tell me you love me".

Rat

Reaction score
Miller was an absolute stud in the playoffs, and I'm excited to see he and Wilson develop together, but if this poll had been posted two games ago, he'd hardly have any votes. He needs to produce for a little longer before I put him at the top of my list.

Mili gets my vote. Very solid and dependable for a considerable amount of time. I remember how clutch he was in the days where it seemed like nobody else on the team could catch a cold.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Would Miller be getting all this love if his last game wasn't his best as a Seahawk?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3vd4m3yc said:
Would Miller be getting all this love if his last game wasn't his best as a Seahawk?
I hope so. It isn't his fault he has had to block for the majority of his snaps in Seattle. last year was silly stupid with how grossly underused he was. So was this year.

I think he ends up north of 50 next year.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":1wigp84p said:
Its killing me, not remembering who it was.

Had to be 1998, so I went back and looked at the roster, and there's no one with that name (what a LOADED roster...Erickson could put together a squad...for sure). I remember the chick, approaching for the kill and feeling insecure because I'm Irish and she was used to non-Irish.

Maybe it was Trey or even Carlester? My mind keeps saying the chick was from Carolina, but that entire era's a haze. Or, maybe it was a temporary player brought in, because I do remember they lived in a hotel.

On topic, it's Mili in my book.

Deems May?

kearly

Reaction score
Just looked it up. Wow. Carlson had 8 catches for 43 yards last season (5.4 average). I figured he must have been IR'd in week one, but nope, he played in 14 games and started six. Gotta love a #3 TE on a $25 million contract.

Carlson had good numbers on the 2008/2009/2010 teams that had a terrible WR corps and a QB who loved big targets. Since then he's fallen off the planet. Even at his most productive, he was a pretty terrible blocker too.

This is not a great list, but I think it's an easy vote for Miller. Jerramy Stevens is the only other tight end that could take over a game the way Miller did in Atlanta. The difference is, Stevens was so wildly inconsistent- but Miller has been a rock. The only reason he hasn't had 800 yards every season with us is because of usage.

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3mqq9qyf said:
pehawk":3mqq9qyf said:

Had to be 1998, so I went back and looked at the roster, and there's no one with that name (what a LOADED roster...Erickson could put together a squad...for sure). I remember the chick, approaching for the kill and feeling insecure because I'm Irish and she was used to non-Irish.

Maybe it was Trey or even Carlester? My mind keeps saying the chick was from Carolina, but that entire era's a haze. Or, maybe it was a temporary player brought in, because I do remember they lived in a hotel.

Deems May?

Dunno. I reached out to one of my friends, and he didn't remember either.

Hell, I didn't remember until I started think of Crumpler and Ferrell Edmunds. Then it came back, like a flashback. I remember the insecurity that is being an Irish guy with a girl used to pro athletes, the most. That insecurity is vivid and feels like yesterday.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":30m7vxlf said:
Zebulon Dak":30m7vxlf said:
pehawk":30m7vxlf said:

Deems May?

Dunno. I reached out to one of my friends, and he didn't remember either.

Hell, I didn't remember until I started think of Crumpler and Ferrell Edmunds. Then it came back, like a flashback. I remember the insecurity that is being an Irish guy with a girl used to pro athletes, the most. That insecurity is vivid and feels like yesterday.

Deems May went to North Carolina. I'm going to assume it's him.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Pehawk, are you thinking of Travis McNeal? He HAD some good physical tools, but never really put it together. He was with the Hawks from 1989-1991.

The fact that people are obviously scratching their heads over the question of "greatest TE in Seahawks history" tells you something. It's not exactly been a standout position for the Hawks over the years. Mike Tice was a heck of a talent back in the day ... but again, he was mostly used as a blocker.

If you're asking about the most complete and most talented TE in Seahawks History (and like a lot of you I've seen them all), I'd actually have to argue that he's on the roster right now -- Zack Miller. Hands down.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Mili's cousin (Daveed) used to work for me in Hawaii. He was lazy but it was cool having him around to talk football. IMO, Stevens was the best athlete we ever had at the position. Which apparently means zilch. Too bad...what a talent (wasted). Tice was consistant and a great blocker....grew to hate him when he started coaching. He was a pud.

Miller, IMO, is without question the best TE this team has ever seen. Once we are able to free him up a bit more, he will be back in the Pro-bowl...if there is a Pro-bowl. I look forward to Seferian-Jenkins being our #1 pick in 14.

HawkWow

Reaction score
razgriz737":7ncmpmde said:
HawkWow":7ncmpmde said:
I look forward to Seferian-Jenkins being our #1 pick in 14.
This x1000

We are both on that wishful thinking bandwagon, bro. IF Price plays like he did as a soph, or even close, ASJ will be gone top 10 and certainly before we pick at 32. ;)

ak3000

Reaction score
Surprised with all the Zach Miller love. I almost thought this was the flash in the pan thread and had to scroll up to double check. He had one amazing receiving game playing on a busted stick, other than that he's been a 2nd right tackle. Does that one performance make him the best ever? I'm going Mike Tice on this one. I wonder if Miller will be on the team this year. Both him and Rice have some huge contract to production ratio problems.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2800b11g said:
Largent80":2800b11g said:
Tice had the longest tenure and was a great blocker.
Many that took the poll didn't/don't know that. ;)

As with any of these polls, the current guy usually wins big, 'cause we have a lot of kids here that pay no heed to our history... I voted for Tice. He was a great one. Hell of a blocker, which was very important at the time with Chuck Knox's run oriented offense.

BASF

Reaction score
I have seen them all and voted Miller. For everyone who has talked up Tice's blocking, I believe Miller is better. He routinely blocks defensive ends one on one. That is impressive. He is also a better receiver than Tice was.

olyfan63

Reaction score
ak3000":w7oouvhv said:
Surprised with all the Zach Miller love. ... He had one amazing receiving game playing on a busted stick, other than that he's been a 2nd right tackle. Does that one performance make him the best ever? I'm going Mike Tice on this one. I wonder if Miller will be on the team this year. Both him and Rice have some huge contract to production ratio problems.

Clearly a troll, but what the hell, I'll bite. Dude, you have been taking advantage of the WA MJ law changes a little too much. (especially since you're not even in WA, so be careful out there)

Miller does what he's asked to do, and does it with excellence. Other posters laid it out pretty well. With TJack the team asked him to be another offensive lineman. With Wilson and his better mobility and decision-making, they let him release out a little more.

Miller has been excellent and timely all year with his play. The one play against Washington in the Wildcard game, Hawks down 14-0, about to go 3-and-out again, was, in my mind his signature play for this season. He caught a crappy throw that 99% of TE's would have gone to the ground catching, turned, broke a had-him-dead-to-rights tackle, ran 5 or 6 yards, and stretched to get the first down by about a foot. Without that play, Seattle might be down 21-0 and lose that game.
Miller and Rice have each made difference-making plays in several games this season, that we don't win without them making their plays. There is not a significant contract-to-production issue with either of them. The production issue was really about Pete and Darrell keeping the training wheels on for Russell Wilson a few games too long. When we're playing crappy pass D teams like Detroit, why did we try to gash them with the run instead of putting the ball in Russell the gunslinger's hands and telling him, "Russell, score early and often".

Miller, hands down, in 3 years we are looking at him as the all-time Seahawks TE.

Yes, Jerramy Stevens had the physical talent, but no brain. Itula Mili had the physical talent and the brain, but uncooperative knees. Tice wasn't a bad Offensive Tackle for Ground Chuck and even caught a ball or two. Christian Fauria and John Carlson were average-to-below NFL talents. I do miss the Great Carlester Crumpler, and while we're on that subject, the Great Cameron Morrah could still become the phenom if he can make the team next year. Anthony McCoy had an unbelievable year for someone who looks like a lumbering stiff, the dude just kept making plays you wouldn't expect him to make. (but a few key drops too)

Zack Miller hands-down.