Is Seattle the BEST city in America/the World?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • 49elite wrote:I thought Seattle was the suicide capital of the US? Not sure if that was a fact or some show I was watching.. Something about depression...correct me if I'm wrong tho.

It's not even in the top 10 in the U.S. Look it up. It's just one of those things people repeat, assuming it's true because it rains 24/7/365 here.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• It was true in the 90s...
    Step yo stat game up Niner
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• ShyCheetah wrote:I've grown up in Vancouver and summered in Seattle my whole life (My moms side of the familly lives in Seattle). I lived in Seattle for two years and Waikiki/Honalulu for a year. I'd rank them Van, Hawaii, then Seattle. I lived in North Bergen New Jersey for a year and even that I'd grade above Seattle but only because Manhattan was a 5 min car ride away.

Shy.

Seattle is better than Van, sorry
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• I would say that Seattle is definitely a top 5 city in the North America and a top 15-20 city in the world.

quite frankly, the only thing Seattle is lacking in order to be a #1 overall is a world class mass transit system and a milder climate.
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    49elite wrote:I thought Seattle was the suicide capital of the US? Not sure if that was a fact or some show I was watching.. Something about depression...correct me if I'm wrong tho.

It's not even in the top 10 in the U.S. Look it up. It's just one of those things people repeat, assuming it's true because it rains 24/7/365 here.

I worked for a boss that did the same. He would just repeat stuff and soon enou gh people/lemmings were repeating it.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Bipolar wrote:I would say that Seattle is definitely a top 5 city in the North America and a top 15-20 city in the world.

quite frankly, the only thing Seattle is lacking in order to be a #1 overall is a world class mass transit system and a milder climate.

Also better culture
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    12evanf wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:[quote="12evanf"]I don't think I could get tired of looking at the sites in Rome. There's only so many times I can visit the Fremont Troll. Seattle's a great American city, friendly people, nice attractions, great mountain views on the waterfront, but when compared to international city's I think its outmatched.

This isn't exactly a fair comparison. The world didn't know the Americas existed when Rome was already a couple thousand years old. Seattle is 158 years old. That's like expecting a toddler to be as grown-up and cultured as a 40-year-old person.

Exactly. The thread title says "the World." Its not a fair comparison. Seattle is top 5 cities in the US and I don't think I could name 4 cities ahead of it easily. I haven't been to San Diego, but I've only heard good things.

San Diego is great for weather, but it's also drab scenery and really spread out ( I put something like 200 miles on my car in 2 days). Great beer, though.[/quote]

No beer compares to the PNW. Stone brewing is really good but no way it compares to the local fare.

San Diego and Seattle are by far my two most favorite cities at least in the US. Its a toss up between the two based on category but its damn close.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Stone is but one brewery in a very rich area of brewing. I LOVE N. San Diego county. Escondido, a great place to live, way outside of the city but totally accessable by may roads. Lots of mountainous drives, great vistas. One of my fav. places on the planet to live.

I lived in Washington for 32 years, love it, but I am loving the sun, surf, and mountains in SoCal a LOT more these days.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Stone is but one brewery in a very rich area of brewing. I LOVE N. San Diego county. Escondido, a great place to live, way outside of the city but totally accessable by may roads. Lots of mountainous drives, great vistas. One of my fav. places on the planet to live.

I lived in Washington for 32 years, love it, but I am loving the sun, surf, and mountains in SoCal a LOT more these days.

My wife has a friend in Carlsbad ( I lived there for a year too) who's husband home brews next to the industrial park where stone and a couple others have local micro breweries and they/he make excellent beer. He does a coffee stout that goes down awesome. Its just not PNW awesome. Manny's, Mac and Jacks and then Fremont among many others. Its awesome. Fremont Abominal Ale will make you wet your shorts. That combined with not paying close to 14% state income tax makes the weather easier to handle. Although I'm pretty close to my limit here without sun.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I haven't been outside the US enough to accurately gauge the greatness of Seattle, and I haven't been to San Diego either, but that month of sunshine in August makes miserable days like today almost worth it.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Stone is but one brewery in a very rich area of brewing. I LOVE N. San Diego county. Escondido, a great place to live, way outside of the city but totally accessable by may roads. Lots of mountainous drives, great vistas. One of my fav. places on the planet to live.

I've been in SD for five years and I just love it near the beach!
    So many different areas all 10 min driving from each other HA
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• I ride my motorcycle here every month of the year, whereas in Wash. you are lucky to get 2 or 3 months.

I live in Culver City at the moment, but my wife and I plan on moving back to N.San Diego county and building our place in the next couple of years, and opening our brewpub / restaurant (Hawks themed of course) and it will become the official S.D. Seahawks Fans Hangout.
    The new Santa Clara stadium name?..........Dungaree Dump
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• 49elite wrote:I thought Seattle was the suicide capital of the US? Not sure if that was a fact or some show I was watching.. Something about depression...correct me if I'm wrong tho.

Actually, I think Butte, MT might be higher on that particular list than Seattle. And if Great Falls doesn't join it there soon, I'll be surprised.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• If we get both a Basketball and Hockey team, I won't complain.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:I ride my motorcycle here every month of the year, whereas in Wash. you are lucky to get 2 or 3 months.

I live in Culver City at the moment, but my wife and I plan on moving back to N.San Diego county and building our place in the next couple of years, and opening our brewpub / restaurant (Hawks themed of course) and it will become the official S.D. Seahawks Fans Hangout.

You must have married the queens daughter. N sd. County isnt cheap. Let me know.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Previous

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information