Do we win SBXL with Wilson as the QB?

rastahawk

Reaction score
Yeah yeah I know but its the off season so what the heck.

Wilson has a quality that I have never seen in any other Seahawk QB and that is his uncanny ability to keep us believing that we have a chance to win the game no matter the circumstances. People just don't vacate the stands if we're down by 3 scores in the 4th quarter. That's when the little maestro takes over. This is not aimed at bashing Matt (and I love Matt) but I have always felt that if we were in a critical rally point in a game I am NOT overly surprised if Matt throws an interception, takes an incorrect option, or gets sacked. In those situations Wilson has much more upside. He is a better "Closer". In SBXL we came out and laid an egg in the 4th qtr. I don't think that happens with Wilson.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don't believe questionable QB play was an issue in SBXL. There were other factors that led to losing that game. As much as I like Russell, with those circumstances I don't believe he would led the Seahawks to a win. He doesn't control penalties and poor defensive play.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
No, but we might have won with him refereeing. He would have been more prepared and performed better.

Or maybe they put Russell in instead of Etric Pruitt.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Come on. Matt was coming off his best season, and he was the far superior QB in that game. That officiating crew wasn't going to let anyone in a Seahawks uniform have a big day. Plain and simple. Wouldn't have mattered if it was the first or fourth quarter. I've still never seen a more lopsidedly officiated game in a team sport in my life.

Rat

Reaction score
Doubtful. Hasselbeck was really damn good that season, it's not like we were the Rex Grossman-led Bears going up against the Colts.

Even with Wilson, we still would have had Holmgren, Jerramy Stevens, and the worst play by a pair of safeties in Super Bowl history.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawkfan68":17dxnj0j said:
I don't believe questionable QB play was an issue in SBXL. There were other factors that led to losing that game. As much as I like Russell, with those circumstances I don't believe he would led the Seahawks to a win. He doesn't control penalties and poor defensive play.

I disagree there were 2 big gaffe's by Hasslebeck that day that really cost us.

A) The ball to D-Jack that he caught OOB. I beleive it was early in the game and could have lead to early points. Instead he throws the ball way outside and Darrell can never get his feet in bounds.

B) The Pick-- Sure everyone wants to blame the questionable holding call on ruiing our chances, but immediately following that hold Hasslebeck throws a horrible ball and it's picked off, to which he was immediately flagged for an illegal block despite trying to sort of make a tackle.

I do believe QB play was an issue that day. Hasslebeck attempted 49 passes for a mere 273 yards, for a paltry 5.57 yards/ Attempt. Wilson was over 7.00 YPA this year.

Axx

Reaction score
Russel Wilson couldnt even beat the Dolphins + Miami + Poor defensive play.
Imagine a super bowl quality team like Pittsburgh and there is no way.
Matt had a good day except for this one interception. the points seem alot worst than what they actually are because of penalties.

Winterfell

Reaction score
I think 2012 Seahawks D + 2005 Seahawks O would have won Super Bowl XL for sure.

But Russell Wilson + 2005 Seahawks Team, maybe but maybe not. Hard to tell since QB play in the 2005 Super Bowl wasn't a glaring weakness on our team and Hasselbeck did outperform his counterpart Ben Roethlisberger in that game.

HUGGY

Reaction score
rastahawk":2bu7xn3a said:

Wilson has a quality that I have never seen in any other Seahawk QB and that is his uncanny ability to keep us believing that we have a chance to win the game no matter the circumstances. People just don't vacate the stands if we're down by 3 scores in the 4th quarter. That's when the little maestro takes over. This is not aimed at bashing Matt (and I love Matt) but I have always felt that if we were in a critical rally point in a game I am NOT overly surprised if Matt throws an interception, takes an incorrect option, or gets sacked. In those situations Wilson has much more upside. He is a better "Closer". In SBXL we came out and laid an egg in the 4th qtr. I don't think that happens with Wilson.

Matt who?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jlwaters1":f1ynoxy9 said:
I disagree there were 2 big gaffe's by Hasslebeck that day that really cost us.

A) The ball to D-Jack that he caught OOB. I beleive it was early in the game and could have lead to early points. Instead he throws the ball way outside and Darrell can never get his feet in bounds.

Dude, are you talking about the play where Jackson's right foot hit the pylon before coming down? That was a perfectly thrown ball from almost 50 yards deep and the ref's call was hotly contested. Either way, a receiver with more awareness would have made that play without hitting the pylon. You can't put that on Hasselbeck. It was a great throw. And look, I love Russell, but no QB is immune from making a bad play here and there. You just hope they can play well enough to win the game, which Hasselbeck certainly did. Not his fault that atrocious officiating and Jerramy Stevens' stone hands made it an impossible task.

kearly

Reaction score
I would say yes, but not really because of Hasselbeck. When Pittsburgh went up 21-10 there was still a good chunk of the 4th quarter left, but you could just feel that the Seahawks had already given up. They had just accepted that fate had dealt them a shitty hand.

The 2012 team didn't give up down by 20 points in the 4th quarter. The reason? They absolutely believed in Russell Wilson. That ability to make a team believe is one of Wilson's greatest strengths.

I also think Wilson avoids that retarded pick that Hasselbeck threw. We don't blame Hass for it because it was set up by a bad call, but it was still a HORRIBLE decision and throw.

Axx":asfjh94o said:
Russel Wilson couldnt even beat the Dolphins + Miami + Poor defensive play.

That's a pretty weak argument. Russell Wilson tore the Dolphins a new asshole that day. He set an all time NFL rookie record for consecutive completions while doing it.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Hell yes we would have won.

Everyone points out the 15 yard penalty on Hasselbeck for blocking below the waist on an INT tackle.

But we conveniently don't rip him a new cornhole for throwing the pick in Steeler territory, when we were going for the lead.

Matt was a warrior and played his ass off for this team, but he pressed when things weren't going our way. This game was close and the steady, big hands of Russell Wilson would have driven us to victory.

Praise Wilson. Hallelujah. Go Hawks.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
I think we would have won with Sherman on the team. And lynch oh what beast mode would look like behind that left side.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
No because the refs still would have made sure Bettis retired in style in his home town.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure where the Dolphins reference makes any sense. That was one of a few games that the DEFENSE is to blame at the end of the game. He did what he needed to do to win at Miami, at Detroit, At Atlanta etc. It's not on Wilson when the Defense lets a team go down the field at will to win the game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
rastahawk":2dtcgck1 said:

I know there are a LOT of folks here that will say no, and I believe they would be wrong.
Here we finally get a brightly glowing star, that is being touted by the > MEDIA<, and critics are nowhere to be found, EVERYBODY wants Russell Wilson to succeed.
You can't just ignore RW, because there are too many waiting for someone/anyone to step aside for just one second, so they can jump in to grease the wheels on the Wilson bandwagon.
His kind of character demands that the officiating be 100% fair, and at it's very best.
Only reason RW couldn't do the job then, is because he's just too damned short for Holmgrens liking.

jman316

Reaction score
I'm as big a Hass fan as you'd ever meet, but my immediate reaction was, without a doubt, yes.
Wilson would have wiled the team to victory.

I'm still in awe that he put us in position to win EVERY, single game this season.
As a Seahawks fan, it was amazing to be "in the game" for every minute this season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yes, Russell Wilson is a media darling and the referees wouldn't have dared called bogus penalties. They would have had every announcer at NFLN all over their azz.

Latest posts