Best Seahawks "Flash in the Pan"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nice call on Darryl Turner. We used to call him "Feast or Famine" Dude had horrible hands. He'd make the spectacular catch, and drop perfectly thrown long bombs for sure td's.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Aaron Curry was lights out in his first regular season game. He played so well in fact he expended his entire talent pool in that game.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
The entire defense from 2005 to 2007.

Remember the "best linebackers in the NFL" Tatupu, Hill and Peterson? Michael Boulware and Ken Hamlin? Marcus Tubbs, Bryce Fisher, Patrick Kerney?

Greenhell

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":moqpy9e6 said:
Missing_Clink":moqpy9e6 said:
Probably Rick Mirer. He almost won rookie of the year, and then...well...

That's my vote -- the last Seahawks Starting QB who wore #3. Rick Mirer won AFC Rookie of the Year in 1993 -- his best year as a Seahawk. It was all downhill from there. He went from being the #2 Overall Pick in the NFL Draft ... to being a Chicago Bear just 4 years later. Hard to argue a bigger flash in the pan guy then that.

Then again as I'm typing this, I am reminded about a certain high profiled mohawk sporting LB from Oklahoma. Brian Bosworth was in a whole different category by himself. Those of you like me who were around to watch him play know exactly what I mean. To think, the Seahawks actually signed that guy to a 10 year $11 million contract -- which at the time was the largest contract ever given to a rookie in NFL History. For what he ended up giving the Hawks, he's the very definition of flash in the pan (and man, did he ever have a lot of flash). He had an incredibly flashy personality - the Richard Sherman of his day. Remember those T-Shirts that were floating around Seattle promoting the Boz -- Boz knows Elway (IIRC). Well, there were also T-Shirts that were sold in Denver that sported Boz's face with a slash through it that said "Ban the Boz". The thing is, it was the exact same company who sold both shirts -- 44 Boz, Inc. In other words, it was Bosworth himself who owned the company. What a character.

Remember all that. Living in Denver at the time he was probably the most hated man in Denver. I got a fantastic poster of The Boz kneeling over a sacked, flat on his back Elway. I remember the games and I loved it!

Greenhell

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1efyonv5 said:
The entire defense from 2005 to 2007.

Remember the "best linebackers in the NFL" Tatupu, Hill and Peterson? Michael Boulware and Ken Hamlin? Marcus Tubbs, Bryce Fisher, Patrick Kerney?

Loved Hamlin. Tha Hammer!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Boulware was the first one that came to me.

But a few more true flash in the pan Seahawks:

Nick Reed, Justin Forsett, Leonard Weaver, Marquis Weeks (i think that was his name?) they truely flashed then were extinguished. They should all be in the preseason hall of fame.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DJ Hackett came to mind first. I thought that guy was going to be a star. He should have never followed the money trail, his best shot was in Seattle.

Mayes was another good choice.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":an98h001 said:
Boulware is a good choice -- but I always felt he was foolsgold anyway. Lots of raging board debates about him back then. He did have the ability to make opposing QBs throw the ball right at him. Uncanny.

Come on, you of all people being the historian here -- how can anyone honestly argue with Bosworth being the biggest flash in the pan Seahawk of them all? Seriously, if you consider the incredible hype surrounding this guy and just how much of a star he was in college. He is only 1 of 9 linebackers to have made Sports Illustrated's NCAA All Century Team. It's incredible to think that the Boz is the only linebacker in NCAA History to have won the Butkus Award twice. That's the backdrop ... and when you couple that with:

1) His 10 Year/$11 Million Contract (which again was the Richest Contract ever handed out to a rookie up until that time). Remember how much that contract ended up crippling the Hawks.

2) His incredibly flamboyant "Flashy" Personality. He LOVED to stir up controversy -- he thrived on it. He makes Richard Sherman look like Richie Cunningham.

3) The fact that he put himself out there as being one of the best defensive players in the NFL ... and that his career flamed out so darn quickly. A grand total of just 24 NFL Games played and a mere 4 Sacks (albeit he did have one of the best hits on John Elway ever).

To give those who aren't acquainted with this guy just what kind of player we're talking about here ... and just what he was all about, here is a short Brian Bosworth "Highlights" film on him featuring Steve Raible, Claire Farnsworth, John Clayton, and others. This is a must watch for those who never got to experience the mystique that was the Boz ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YOoRXcrlQ

The Boz by anyone's standards is in the Top 10 biggest busts in NFL History. When you stop to consider just WHO this guy was in college ... what he basically promised to do in the NFL ... and just how fast his star burned out, there's no question in my mind just who the biggest Flash in the Pan Seahawk is of all time. Heck, the Boz is one of the greatest Flash in the Pan players in NFL History. They don't get much flashier than this guy.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Since I haven't seen this mentioned yet, how 'bout Chris Terry? Our offense really took flight when he was plugged in at RT. The very next season he stunk it up.

Giblien

Reaction score
The first big one that came to mind for me (since I have only been able to actually watch hawks games on a consistent basis since 2005) was D.J. Hackett. But I agree that Hamlin would be right up there too.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Geez...you guys are good. I had to think really hard at finding one. How about Chris McIntosh ? He was a 1st round pick and looked pretty good. Year 2 he had some neck issues and only played a game or two and it was a career.

NYCoug

Reaction score
You guys pretty much nailed all the good ones so I'll throw out a few. So far, Boz/Mirer/Boulware/Koren/Hamlin/Mike Williams are the 6 that are really standing out to me as the biggest flashes in the pan. Some others...

Walter Thurmond III - For obvious reasons
Sean Locklear - Looked great at first, then got worse and worse as his career in Seattle continued. Somehow, he's starting for the Giants now.
Anthony Simmons - Just for pehawk. Love ya buddy! Seriously, I thought Simmons was going to be a hero for the Hawks. Not so much.
Soloman Bates - All I remember is a really young LB out of Arizona State that I thought would be a solid LB after his first preseason with the team. Never happened.

NYCoug

Reaction score
McGruff":tdt4bcxl said:
HawkRiderFan":tdt4bcxl said:
Ken Hamlin

He and Boulware together had one monster year that had us all salivating for the future.

Yup. I was convinced that the two of them would make up a devastating safety duo for YEARS. Little did my puny brain know that there would be a duo named "Thomas" and "Chancellor" that would make laugh at the mention of Hamlin or Boulware especially. Those were good times.