LCB: Richard Sherman | Byron Maxwell
SS: Kam Chancellor | Winston Guy
FS: Earl Thomas | Matt Elam*
RCB: Brandon Browner | Jeremy Lane
Nickel: Matt Elam* | Byron Maxwell
Dime: Jeremy Lane

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice work. It would be really cool if it broke down that way. Be prepared to hear all about how Flynn isn't worth any draft capital though. :)

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Thanks! I hope so, too.

Gus Bradley may have something to say about that at some point...

The biggest question facing Bradley’s new team may be whether it has a quarterback who can run that explosive offense. Although new Jaguars G.M. David Caldwell has slammed the door on bringing in Tim Tebow, Bradley did not close the door on trading for Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn, saying only that he can’t talk about it now while Flynn is with the Seahawks.

Whether it’s Flynn or someone else, a new quarterback may be even more important than a new coach for bringing some enthusiasm to Jacksonville.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ksonville/

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yea, I'm still surprised Gabbert has failed thus far but it looks like he's afraid for his life out there sometimes. Maybe he's got David Carr syndrome

NYCoug

Reaction score
Hey, good job SDHawk.

Jordan Reed really caught my eye in that A&M game. Everyone knows about his athleticism and that he might be the type of guy the Hawks are looking for for that "joker" position or athletic TE but what I really liked was his blocking. He had some pretty great blocks in that game. He wouldn't be a liability out there in the run game, which is great when you consider that an FA like Cook isn't known as a strong blocker. I'd rather go with the younger, cheaper option like Reed. Good call.

I'm warming up to Ogletree also. For some reason, I was sleeping on him before. I love that he plays special teams, the play he makes as a gunner and on the onside kick in that video are outstanding, and the long, lanky frame he has makes him look like a monster out there.

I'd definitely be happy with a draft like this.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Thanks, NYCoug. How do you feel about taking a hybrid safety in the early rounds? I think Matt Elam may be the most "seahawky" player in this draft but haven't seen many/any mocks with us taking him.

Watch the highlight I put up... I love how receivers get butter fingers knowing Elam is bearing down on them and about to put on the hurt.

NYCoug

Reaction score
SDHawk":9zkpfler said:
Thanks, NYCoug. How do you feel about taking a hybrid safety in the early rounds? I think Matt Elam may be the most "seahawky" player in this draft but haven't seen many/any mocks with us taking him.

Watch the highlight I put up... I love how receivers get butter fingers knowing Elam is bearing down on them and about to put on the hurt.

Awesome moment just now. I read your post and scrolled up to watch the Elam video. I've been very interested in him, more so than even Shariff Floyd, because of his ties to Dan Quinn at Florida. So as I press play on the video I'm thinking "can he play the nickel?" And the first thing I hear is the commentator gushing about how Elam's one of those guys that can "do it all" at the next level, play the nickel and in the dime. Thought that was pretty cool and you'd appreciate that. Now, on to the actual video...

I gotta start stealing some of these highlight videos and dubbing better songs over them. I swear mine would be sick!! 99% of the time either the song is trash or it doesn't go with the player's style at all, but I digress...

All I can say is WOW! I'm impressed. Gotta be honest, I didn't watch much of him this season but what I can tell you based off this 4 minute clip is that he's an AMAZING tackler for a guy his size. I like the reckless abandon he plays with, good stuff. Do you see him more as a nickel CB in Seattle or someone who can come in and allow the team to move Earl Thomas around a little bit more. Switch things up, have them rotate in the nickel... Do you think Elam can play that "centerfield" position that Earl does? To me, he reminds me a bit of a cross between Jeron Johnson and Earl Thomas. He doesn't have the blazing speed that Earl does but he's relentless like Jeron.

I've been pretty high on Cooper Taylor so far in the process, and I flip flop more than John Kerry come draft time, but I'd be willing to take Elam in the 2nd. Love his tenacity and closing speed. Your draft keeps getting better and better SD. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
Do you see him more as a nickel CB in Seattle or someone who can come in and allow the team to move Earl Thomas around a little bit more. Switch things up, have them rotate in the nickel... Do you think Elam can play that "centerfield" position that Earl does? To me, he reminds me a bit of a cross between Jeron Johnson and Earl Thomas. He doesn't have the blazing speed that Earl does but he's relentless like Jeron.

Thanks for the compliments!

Elam is very dynamic and I think it would allow for alot of schematic flexibility. With that said, I like the idea of him playing closer to the line of scrimmage and would prefer to keep Earl in his current role.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
NYCoug":1omqlo2w said:
SDHawk":1omqlo2w said:

Awesome moment just now. I read your post and scrolled up to watch the Elam video. I've been very interested in him, more so than even Shariff Floyd, because of his ties to Dan Quinn at Florida. So as I press play on the video I'm thinking "can he play the nickel?" And the first thing I hear is the commentator gushing about how Elam's one of those guys that can "do it all" at the next level, play the nickel and in the dime. Thought that was pretty cool and you'd appreciate that. Now, on to the actual video...

I gotta start stealing some of these highlight videos and dubbing better songs over them. I swear mine would be sick!! 99% of the time either the song is trash or it doesn't go with the player's style at all, but I digress...

I didn't mind the song, I just wish song writers would be a little more original. They clearly said "hey, lets rearrange the notes to the Rocky theme and avoid copy right issues and rap over it.....tools.

McGruff

Reaction score
Reed is a mixed bag as a blocker, but who cares.

He's a guy I'm liking for what we need.

HUGGY

Reaction score
SDHawk":e4ev27o9 said:
Free Agency:

Cliff Avril, DE - $8m 5y/$40m
Desmond Bryant, DT - $6m 3y/$18m
Tarvaris Jackson, QB - $800k 3y/$2.4m
Alan Branch, DT - $2.5m 2y/$5m

Trade:

Matt Flynn and 5th Rounder
for Jacksonville 2nd Rounder

Draft:

I'm happy to see Trufant isn't listed but he still has two years left on his contract.

"Trufant reached a six-year, $50.2 million deal with the Seahawks on Wednesday that includes $20 million in guarantees. In the first three years of the contract, he will make $28 million." (2008)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3313104

So he just gets cut?...traded?

1. Alec Ogletree, OLB
[youtube]24FvP-tyyTs[/youtube]

2. Matt Elam, S/CB
[youtube]rREjDTpTedE[/youtube]

2. Da'Rick Rogers, WR
[youtube]vJ24lAdTZFI[/youtube]

3. Jordan Reed, TE
[youtube]fPzEqCu9gf8[/youtube]
^ 1:15 mark

4. Marquise Goodwin, WR
[youtube]Je7sPrc4RnQ[/youtube]

5. Ricky Wagner, OT/G

6. Denard Robinson, QB/RB/KR

==================
Offense
==================

QB: Russell Wilson | Tavaris Jackson** | Denard Robinson*
WR1: Sidney Rice | Da'Rick Rogers*
WR2: Golden Tate | Doug Baldwin
WR3: Doug Baldwin | Marquise Goodwin*
TE: Zach Miller | Jordan Reed*

LT: Russell Okung | Ricky Wagner*
LG: James Carpenter | Paul McQuistan
C: Max Unger | Lemuel Jeanpierre
RG: JR Sweezy | John Moffit
RT: Breno Giacomini | Ricky Wagner*

FB: Mike Rob
RB: Marshawn Lynch | Robert Turbin | Denard Robinson*

=================
Defense
=================

LDE: Red Bryant | Alan Branch** | Greg Scruggs
LDT: Desmond Bryant** | Jaye Howard
RDT: Brandon Mebane | Clinton McDonald
RDE: Cliff Avril** | Bruce Irvin | Chris Clemons

LOLB: Alec Ogletree* | Malcolm Smith
MLB: Bobby Wagner | Heath Farwell
ROLB: K.J. Wright | Mike Morgan

LCB: Richard Sherman | Byron Maxwell
SS: Kam Chancellor | Winston Guy
FS: Earl Thomas | Matt Elam*
RCB: Brandon Browner | Jeremy Lane
Nickel: Matt Elam* | Byron Maxwell
Dime: Jeremy Lane

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
HUGGY":dho7xjbe said:
I'm happy to see Trufant isn't listed but he still has two years left on his contract.

"Trufant reached a six-year, $50.2 million deal with the Seahawks on Wednesday that includes $20 million in guarantees. In the first three years of the contract, he will make $28 million." (2008)

Feel free to update the depth chart for your reference. I think Trufant makes about $1.3M in 2013 so don't think it a big deal.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
SDHawk":1o70m433 said:
HUGGY":1o70m433 said:

Feel free to update the depth chart for your reference. I think Trufant makes about $1.3M in 2013 so don't think it a big deal.

Trufant was released then brought back on a one-year deal.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":eo9xh1bf said:
SDHawk":eo9xh1bf said:
HUGGY":eo9xh1bf said:

Trufant was released then brought back on a one-year deal.
He's a FA in 2013.

cubbyhawkfan

Reaction score
Man if we somehow could get another 2nd and were able to draft a guy like Elam I'd be estatic.He looks like a mix between Chancellor and Thomas.He looks to be a ferocious hitter and run stopper with Thomas's range and instincts.I have a feeling that he will not reach the 2nd but he sure has some impressive stuff.I think with him you get a guy who fits the mentality our defense is built on and you could move him around to cover slot guys or allow Thomas to do that while filling in the spot Thomas vacates.I do think finding a capable backup to Thomas would be a need this offseason.

Jordan Reed looks like a smaller version of Zach Ertz.He is very athletic but sure showed to be a very competant blocker which was surprising cause I had yet to watch any video of him.He is a guy who I think we could use split out,on the line or whatever cause he is so athletic.If we didn't go for a Zach Ertz or Gavin Escobar player I think Reed would be a decent option.

Really like the Ogletree pick.He could very easily be picked way higher but I'd love either him or Green at the olb spots.He is super athletic,has soooooo much potential.For a guy who missed 4 games due to suspension he put up some crazy good numbers in the SEC.He is a guy who fits what this defense is looking for.A former safety who can cover TE's and possibly be a decent pass rusher if allowed.

I am so so on the Goodwin pick.Has all world speed which I know Wilson could exploit with his strong arm but just seems like a gimmicky player which isn't all bad but I guess at the same time thats what Denard is too.I like Denard more as a running back.He could develop as a wr but he looked rough at the Senior Bowl.I would almost hope for the likes of Kerwynn Williams the RB out of Utah St to fall to the 6th who I believe is a much better option.

Overall like the picks I wouldn't be upset if its what we ended up with.I do have a feeling that we will be looking to extend our own guys instead of making a super big splash in free agency but you never know with PC/JS

ivotuk

Reaction score
No doubt about, Elam is violent, even clocks his own teammates. I'd be worried about penalties and a shortened career. Amazing kid though.

getnasty

Reaction score
Olgetree just screams Seahawk, i wouldn't mind that pick if he makes it to 25

getnasty

Reaction score
SDHawk":17eknzl0 said:
Is Elam worth a reach in the first?

We already have 4 pro bowl caliber players in the secondary, so no he's not worth a reach in the 1st.

OP
OP
SDHawk

SDHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":hczx460t said:
SDHawk":hczx460t said:
Is Elam worth a reach in the first?

We already have 4 pro bowl caliber players in the secondary, so no he's not worth a reach in the 1st.

Browner and Johnson RFA, Chancellor UFA after next season. We'll need to spend some money on the DL via free agency. I could imagine Elam coming in on a lot of different packages playing nickel at times, both safety positions, WILL on pass rush situations... it gives us so many different looks. And we take the physicality to yet another level... Browner + Kam + Elam :snack: